Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I would argue the SUV trend was more instrumental as their higher seating positions and rooflines make it more difficult to see obstacles near them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Infinotize posted:

Anyone who lives in a place where parallel parking is normal loves dippy mirrors and every car should have them. I know everyone in AI is a pro that drifts their car perfectly into a parallel spot, but lol you can't see your wheel/curb through any car and if you have to parallel enough times and especially if you have low profile tires with rims that stick out past your tire, it's only a matter of time before you curb the poo poo out of your wheels.

Yeah, my E46 coupe had perfectly good visibility and I still found the reverse mirror like a million times more useful than any back-up cam I've ever used. It drives me crazy that it's not a standard feature on every car.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

click for giant

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Those rims are awful and likely contributed to his flat tire but thats it.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Goober Peas posted:

I would argue the SUV trend was more instrumental as their higher seating positions and rooflines make it more difficult to see obstacles near them.
That is definitely a big part of it, but I thought aerodynamics was also a big part of the increasing belt lines too to some degree. I mean of course not on the front and sides, but I thought a square back end like a hatch is actually somewhat more aerodynamic than the sloping tail of a sedan thus why Toyota chose to make the Prius a hatch back instead of a Sedan.

What I consider impressive is the backup camera in my wife's Acadia, it does not need a touch screen radio at all. Instead it uses a small monitor built into the rear view mirror and when that monitor is not the mirror functions just perfectly like a regular rear view mirror. I'm not sure how to describe it like a one way mirror effect or something but when the LCD is not on it goes right back to just being a regular mirror. I could see potential for implementing the same sort of camera into side view mirrors so that a downward pointing screen is turned on instead of using a complex Nissan style solution which requires the transmission to be replaced when the system fails. At the very least, I imagine it would be a lot faster to just turn a camera on instead of actually motoring the mirror down and it could save on wear on the mirror's motors.

Also, that LONEWLF truck is awesome car stuff. I just love the look of 90's Chevy trucks, I think they are the best looking pickups (with the crappiest motors. . . I'm looking at you 6.5L Diesel). When I win the lottery, I fully intend to own a 1 ton C/K dually with a Duramax swapped into it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Speed holes

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, my E46 coupe had perfectly good visibility and I still found the reverse mirror like a million times more useful than any back-up cam I've ever used. It drives me crazy that it's not a standard feature on every car.

They will be integrating side view mirror controls in every transmission from this day forward.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

canyoneer posted:

Speed holes

wrong thread sir

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/usaphilipusa/status/1109593336904474625

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
That is one hundred percent in the wrong thread

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

*checks math*

TWO HUNDRED PERCENT!!!

e: the awesome part about it is that it's CGI.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Just the body panels and mirrors, right? I feel like I've seen th unedited version of this video, but I wouldn't know how to find it.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

She should probably take her starter crank with her though.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wrongest of threads

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Oh god someone post the other video where the steering wheel falls off at the end.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Why does she just leave the starter crank? Does she not need to start the car again at her destination

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

[quote="Throatwarbler" post="493662828"]
Why does she just leave the starter crank? Does she not need to start the car again at her destination[quote]

It probably cna't drive more than 30 feet anyways

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

i think you just started some poo poo, friend.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

lol has anyone ever ripped those bumper things off and made the car look like a giger alien?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Thief posted:

lol has anyone ever ripped those bumper things off and made the car look like a giger alien?

Yes, there are quite a few bumper delete kits.

There are also hemi swap kits :getin:

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Powershift posted:

i think you just started some poo poo, friend.

:colbert:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Thief posted:

IIRC there were kits that would serve to fill up the gaps left by the bumper removal, but I’d be scared shitless of some idiot throwing a trailer hitch ball into the now super-exposed front end.

The real travesty of the Prowler was Chrysler not getting the crazy old graybeards that worked on the K-car turbo-4’s and telling them “go out in a blaze of glory” with twin-turbos on the V-6. Also not slapping a manual transmission option in it.

Edit:

Powershift posted:

Yes, there are quite a few bumper delete kits.

There are also hemi swap kits :getin:

Holy hell I had no idea they could jam Hemis into those. Aren’t Hemis ludicrously wide for V-8s?

funeral home DJ fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 25, 2019

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Question: what's more hated, the prowler, the last thunderbird or the ssr? I don't care much for the ford but I've never been able to bring myself to hate the other two as much as everyone else seems to.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ripoff posted:

IIRC there were kits that would serve to fill up the gaps left by the bumper removal, but I’d be scared shitless of some idiot throwing a trailer hitch ball into the now super-exposed front end.

The real travesty of the Prowler was Chrysler not getting the crazy old graybeards that worked on the K-car turbo-4’s and telling them “go out in a blaze of glory” with twin-turbos on the V-6. Also not slapping a manual transmission option in it.

Edit:

Holy hell I had no idea they could jam Hemis into those. Aren’t Hemis ludicrously wide for V-8s?

Yeah, it takes some.....modification.

As Nero Danced posted:

Question: what's more hated, the prowler, the last thunderbird or the ssr? I don't care much for the ford but I've never been able to bring myself to hate the other two as much as everyone else seems to.

The last thunderbird is a completely forgotten boomermobile exactly as designed.

The Prowler was "wow, cool, sports car!" and then a "minivan engine, pickup truck transmission" wet fart

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

SSR has an absurd number of motors to move the hardtop, from a time when GM wasn't known for accessory reliability. It also weighs 5000lb or something.

The Prowler has zero forward visibility for drivers over 5'6", which was distracting enough to keep me from remembering anything else about it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

heffray posted:

SSR has an absurd number of motors to move the hardtop, from a time when GM wasn't known for accessory reliability. It also weighs 5000lb or something.

The Prowler has zero forward visibility for drivers over 5'6", which was distracting enough to keep me from remembering anything else about it.
Yeah, but it looks so rad.

Tell me if you were a billionaire with a 500 car garage, there wouldn't be a prowler in there

In reality, most of our automotive heros are god awful to drive and horribly impractical.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
As much as I enjoyed calling the last Thunderbird the "Thunderchicken" to get under the skin of a friend whose mother drove one and thought it was the pinnacle of automotive engineering, it really didn't try to do anything more than what it was - a big, heavy, boaty cruiser that wasn't particularly fast despite having a V8. Kind of like the original.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 25, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I now want to see a Prowler vs a countach around a track, just to piss everybody off

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:smithfrog:

it is me too.

i like prowlers but only bumper deleted and built or swapped and in purple.

i stand with you friend.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Powershift posted:

Yeah, but it looks so rad.

Tell me if you were a billionaire with a 500 car garage, there wouldn't be a prowler in there

In reality, most of our automotive heros are god awful to drive and horribly impractical.

If I were a billionaire, I'd just get an original t-bucket tho.

Or a '34 Ford Hotrod more likely.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I love the Prowler, and if its production version was ever as good as the Howler, we'd all remember it fondly

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Jonny Nox posted:

If I were a billionaire, I'd just get an original t-bucket tho.

Or a '34 Ford Hotrod more likely.

I keep coming back to the same thought, if I hit the lottery I'd consider buying one but then probably change my mind and buy a Factory Five 33 roadster instead.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

always going to appreciate them for doing something different ...but in the way i appreciate that reverse trike thing that sounds like it belongs on a track whenever it skirts by downtown on a friday night

like even if i won one in a raffle i'd just auction it immediately without even redlining it once

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
can am?

https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/?redirect=false

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

That or the hideous abomination that is the Polaris Slingshot.

That thing is the answer to the question of “what if we took an Ariel Atom, made it utterly poo poo and found a way to make it so you can’t avoid potholes?”

Edit: Jesus they offer driver training on the Can-Am. Just sit down and steer the thing, it’s a drat car.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
a really dumb looking less safe car

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Grown adults buying training wheel motorcycles because despite millions of people riding them daily, they cannot believe a motorcycle won't just fall over while you're riding it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

i see both a lot on friday nights parked and idling for hours in the drinkin' district where all the wild hogs tier MC clubs hang out to show off their harley underglow

the polaris dune buggy things sound amazing though