Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

shut the gently caress up about guns rear end in a top hat nobody cares and nobody is buying your “poor downtrodden minorities” bullshit either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

infernal machines posted:

i have said it before and i'm going to keep saying it, the number one argument against reforming restrictions on gun ownership are the people advocating reforming restrictions on gun ownership

it's really not, but you keep loving that chicken

Wanna take a stab at explaining why someone should be able to own a bolt action rifle (for example), but not a semi automatic firearm then?

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

THC posted:

shut the gently caress up about guns rear end in a top hat nobody cares and nobody is buying your “poor downtrodden minorities” bullshit either

gun laws are more disproportiantly enforced on minorities than any other laws. gun control is morally, phillosophically and spiritually bankrupt as an ideology no matter how you frame it

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

gun laws are more disproportiantly enforced on minorities than any other laws.

:eyepop:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jehde posted:

Wanna take a stab at explaining why someone should be able to own a bolt action rifle (for example), but not a semi automatic firearm then?

well, a bolt action rifle is useful for hunting, and should someone get it into their head to do something irresponsible with it the mechanism of action limits the amount of damage they can do simply by being slow. so it has a genuine use beyond recreation and can do relatively less damage than a belt fed machine gun in the same amount of time.

if you really want to argue that all weapons are tools and all tools are equal and can be used responsibly and thus should never be restricted i'll await your argument in favour of providing first nations with a nuclear deterrent

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Jehde posted:

wanna take a stab at shutting the gently caress up?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

"i want minorities to be protected from predation, coincidentally this dovetails nicely with this one issue which i am incredibly passionate about, owning whatever loving guns i want."

this is right up there with comfortably middle class people who get all misty eyed over the plight of the poor, solely and exclusively when the subject of gas taxes and vehicle registration fees come up

I don't want to own a gun tho

quote:

if you really want to argue that all weapons are tools and all tools are equal and can be used responsibly and thus should never be restricted i'll await your argument in favour of providing first nations with a nuclear deterrent

That's the logical extreme, yes. If nukes are bad for them, they're bad for everybody else too. Same deal.

xtal has issued a correction as of 00:10 on Mar 26, 2019

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Risky Bisquick posted:

How about you split the difference with your concern troll and disarm whites and leave cops and poc with guns. I bet you’d go for that :jerkbag:

It's kind of funny that poc and cop are palindromes. I don't think anyone should ignore that in our current society the people who decide who gets to have firearms and who doesn't are, if not the rich and capitalists, their bootlickers.
Ignoring the fact that a governor who got support from the NRA and ended up introducing restrictive gun laws because there was a marxist-based minority group that knew the law and tried to defend themselves.
The reason why guns are so damaging in the United States is because of inequality, and all the problems that come with that.
Obviously guns alone won't win a revolution these days. But it's a lot easier of a starting point than a knife.

If we lived in a communist country, we could have it similar to how the Soviet Union did it, where guns were the purview of shooting clubs, where anyone could go to shoot in a communal setting, and be expected to volunteer in cause of a war. But we don't, and until we do, guns are an important tool to work towards that.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

they are just asking questions PEOPLE!!

also owning semi-automatic guns is bad

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

well, a bolt action rifle is useful for hunting, and should someone get it into their head to do something irresponsible with it the mechanism of action limits the amount of damage they can do simply by being slow. so it has a genuine use beyond recreation and can do relatively less damage than a belt fed machine gun in the same amount of time.

So you think that if someone is incapable of responsibly owning a firearm, that the homicide/suicide they would commit with a bolt action rifle would be acceptable?

And yeah I'm 100% for the nuclear armament of the indigenous people of Canada. Nuclear power would probably do them well too.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
why cant white people pick up the guns and overthrow the sick system they benefit from anyway, when did the onus fall on us

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i'm saying that increasing the number of firearms available to the general public increases the likelihood that someone will do something irresponsible with one. hamstringing the efficiency with which they can do that irresponsible thing is better than not.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Jehde posted:

Funny looking bolt action rifles they got there.

Just popped in here to admit I was wrong about one of the things I said.

Jehde posted:

So you think that if someone is incapable of responsibly owning a firearm, that the homicide/suicide they would commit with a bolt action rifle would be acceptable?

Hey look it's that thing nobody said

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jehde posted:

And yeah I'm 100% for the nuclear armament of the indigenous people of Canada. Nuclear power would probably do them well too.

:agreed:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

drjuggalo posted:

why cant white people pick up the guns and overthrow the sick system they benefit from anyway, when did the onus fall on us

Because when we do it you end up with

let us all remember the incredible bravery of Michael Zehaf-Bibeau

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Jehde posted:

Literally no one is saying its acceptable. Balancing risks and the cost of privileges or rights are something we do constantly. Road speed limits are a balance of safety and utility, the roads would be safer objectively if everyone drove half the current allowed speeds, but that's going to take forever and cause congestion. We acknowledge that there will be some death because of this, but still don't hand-wave those deaths away as acceptable, and work to reduce those.

You'll notice that in the very normal societal dialogue only insane people advocate the unrestricted use of the roads, such as without licencing, rules, or speed-limits. Likewise, no one is saying there should be a 100% ban on driving, even though it might save a ton of lives.

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
the great john brown had did that and it helped jump start the inevitable civil war that "ended" slavery

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Virtual Russian posted:

You'll notice that in the very normal societal dialogue only insane people advocate the unrestricted use of the roads, such as without licencing, rules, or speed-limits. Likewise, no one is saying there should be a 100% ban on driving, even though it might save a ton of lives.

The "restrict use in public, but do not restrict private use" paradigm that is typically applied to cars is great, and I wish it were applied more to guns

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

re: weapon capabilities and public safety, remember that guy in the states who killed 50 people with a semi-auto rifle and a bump stock? remember the aforementioned Michael Zehaf-Bibeau who stormed parliament with a cowboy rifle and the only person he killed was some poor sod who got caught flat footed guarding a monument? hell, the parliament security guys tagged each other more than he did.

both were idiot wingnuts bent on irresponsible firearm use. one killed 50X as many people

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Jehde posted:

"restrict use in public, but do not restrict private use"

It's almost as if you could restrict firearm usage to a location dedicated to firing guns at practice targets, and that you have literally no reason to use a semi-automatic rifle outside of these locations! We could call them... shooting ranges.

remember the aforementioned Michael Zehaf-Bibeau

Americans have a hard enough time keeping track of their own domestic mass shootings, can't really expect them to know or remember shooters from neighbouring countries.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Look at you, Mr. Bolt Action expert .

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'll have you know i briefly lived in a household with an illegally owned .22lr

to my knowledge it was only ever used to threaten the neighbours

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Guns are a lot like minorities, really need to introduce them early to children.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Jan posted:

It's almost as if you could restrict firearm usage to a location dedicated to firing guns at practice targets, and that you have literally no reason to use a semi-automatic rifle outside of these locations! We could call them... shooting ranges.

Americans have a hard enough time keeping track of their own domestic mass shootings, can't really expect them to know or remember shooters from neighbouring countries.

What's the benefit of forcing gun range membership fees on those less financially secure? Rhetorical question, as I'd rather avoid financial barriers to civilian armament as much as possible. Granted I see no detriment to letting civilians use firearms as they see fit within their private property.

re: weapon capabilities and public safety, remember that guy in the states who killed 50 people with a semi-auto rifle and a bump stock? remember the aforementioned Michael Zehaf-Bibeau who stormed parliament with a cowboy rifle and the only person he killed was some poor sod who got caught flat footed guarding a monument? hell, the parliament security guys tagged each other more than he did.

both were idiot wingnuts bent on irresponsible firearm use. one killed 50X as many people

Okay now do the same thing but with the texas clock tower shooter with his bolt action rifle and the guy that had to ditch his semi-automatic rifle because it jammed. But actually please don't, as I think that arguing about the relative lethality of lethal weapons is dumb. The point is that I respect a desire to ban all guns, I do not respect any bullshit half steps though. If you honestly believe guns are inherently evil and only serve to do harm, you should be arguing for all guns to be banned everywhere in hopes of achieving an eradication of all gun violence. Not just some guns from some people, and letting gun violence exist under certain circumstances. Incrementalism poo poo always reeks of bad faith.

Anyways, gun debate poo poo is exhausting when you're dealing with such wildly different perspectives. I would rather this thread wasn't a dumb circle jerk of gun hate, as it can be handy to get the latest scoops on actually relevant Canadian politics, without having to deal with D&D garbage. Highly recommend checking out the ongoing mass shooting thread in TFR if you wanna grill gun owners about why they think they need guns, it's way easier to do this than you probably think.

My bottom line for the purpose of this thread is that this nazi issue isn't going away anytime soon, now is not the time to throw all the guns in a smelter and not think twice.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Ardent Communist posted:

It's kind of funny that poc and cop are palindromes.

:siren: POC AND COP ARE NOT PALINDROMES. :siren:

They're semordnilaps.

McGavin has issued a correction as of 02:03 on Mar 26, 2019

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

McGavin posted:

POC COP, however, is.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
e: vvv I also would like to talk about something else

xtal has issued a correction as of 02:10 on Mar 26, 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

my bottom line for this thread is that there is no pressing need to reassess our gun ownership policies in canada and the majority of the people who think there are are real life caricatures of the crazed gun nut

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

McGavin posted:

They're semordnilaps.

Thank you, I agonised over posting that because it felt wrong, but I didn't want to just say opposite, because I was only talking about the words and not what they represent.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

xtal posted:

This reminds me of that time a Canadian tech giant sold 3D printers to make guns, and only stopped when the manufacturers made fun of them.

We're talking a lot about gun control right now, but that question is only in question until 3D printing becomes consumer-accessible anyway. So, it's sort of like debating the placement of chairs on the Titanic at this point.

what the gently caress are you talking about?

3d printing is consumer accessible and it makes really really lovely gun components. machine tools have been relatively accessible for about a century and they make entirely functional firearms, and it still doesn't matter

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Oh right when those post scarcity star trek machines come out, everyone is going to be able to have loads of guns.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

what the gently caress are you talking about?

3d printing is consumer accessible and it makes really really lovely gun components. machine tools have been relatively accessible for about a century and they make entirely functional firearms, and it still doesn't matter

https://ghostgunner.net/ was hosted by Shopify until there was a public Twitter feud between the two CEOs. I was specifically referring to this kind of technology being available to consumers, as opposed to general 3D printers.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Oh right when those post scarcity star trek machines come out, everyone is going to be able to have loads of guns.

tea. earl grey. hot. oh and a P99c with an extended mag

xtal posted:

https://ghostgunner.net/ was hosted by Shopify until there was a public Twitter feud between the two CEOs. I was specifically referring to this kind of technology being available to consumers, as opposed to general 3D printers.

oh, but that's a cnc mill, not a 3d printer. that's not splitting hairs, they're very different things

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

https://iwpr.net/global-voices/chechnyas-homemade-weapons-fuel-war

quote:

The Chechen-manufactured Borz is one of a number of weapons, made, reconfigured or repaired in Chechnya, which enable enemies of the Russian military and the pro-Moscow Chechen police force to continue their fight at very low cost. The net result is that even if the Russian authorities were to manage to stop the theft of weapons, or their trade and sale to the rebels, a substantial arsenal will remain in their hands.

The 9-mm submachine gun Borz is an ideal weapon for sudden attacks. It is a small compact gun, whose lightness and ease of use makes up for its poor technical quality.

“This submachine gun has quite poor tactical and technical features,” said Major Anatoly Medvedev, an officer for the Russian intelligence service, the FSB, in Chechnya. “The 9-mm bullets from the Makarov pistol, which the Borz uses, are too powerful for the steel from which the gun’s barrel is made and wear it out quickly. After shooting two or three cartridges, a Borz simply begins to ‘spit’ the bullets out.

“Nonetheless, I would describe this gun as ideal for saboteurs and killers. It has entirely fulfilled its purpose as a weapon used by paramilitary groups of a partisan type. It has a fantastic rate of fire, and once all the bullets have been fired it can simply be thrown away. As far as I know, a Borz costs very little in Chechnya, about 100 US dollars, and its production requires little effort or expense.”

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Jehde posted:

Okay now do the same thing but with the texas clock tower shooter with his bolt action rifle and the guy that had to ditch his semi-automatic rifle because it jammed. But actually please don't, as I think that arguing about the relative lethality of lethal weapons is dumb. The point is that I respect a desire to ban all guns, I do not respect any bullshit half steps though. If you honestly believe guns are inherently evil and only serve to do harm, you should be arguing for all guns to be banned everywhere in hopes of achieving an eradication of all gun violence. Not just some guns from some people, and letting gun violence exist under certain circumstances. Incrementalism poo poo always reeks of bad faith.

This all or nothing poo poo is bad faith. You just don't want to engage with someone arguing for a reasonable measured response. I don't believe guns are inherently evil, nor does like anyone I know. I enjoy target shooting, and know responsible hunters. A gun is more like a tool in my mind. An armalite or kalashnikov clone is a military grade tool, designed for killing efficiently. I see no need to massively distribute them throughout society. Obviously there will be outliers in mass violence, but restricting to older long-guns seems to be a no-brainer. Just look at the US vs Canada.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

love me some stamped metal former soviet bloc handguns

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

love me some stamped metal former soviet bloc handguns

Gotta respect those guns, feels like they are going to tear themselves and you apart while firing them.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

my bottom line for this thread is that there is no pressing need to reassess our gun ownership policies in canada and the majority of the people who think there are are real life caricatures of the crazed gun nut
semiautos should be banned. Bissonnette had two legal ones

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Virtual Russian posted:

Gotta respect those guns, feels like they are going to tear themselves and you apart while firing them.

memento mori, at the range

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Disarm everyone or arm everyone, these are the only moral choices, everything else is wrong