Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your favorite swear word?
View Results

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
There a console thread for this game? On PS4, looking for some goons to shoot mans with. Usually on between 5-10 CST. PSN: dog_nougat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

dog nougat posted:

There a console thread for this game? On PS4, looking for some goons to shoot mans with. Usually on between 5-10 CST. PSN: dog_nougat

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788498

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Cool! Thanks!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Rolling Scissors posted:

I bought the deluxe version of this game. I'm a loving idiot.

:same:

Even better, I haven't even played since like January because Hitman, Ace Combat, and Resident Evil 2 kept stealing my time

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Feels good playing a AAA title with a bunch of people that have [HH] [1488] and any variety of Nazi pseudo German in their names.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Digirat posted:

The most bullets, without having to bipod like you would with the MMGs.

Still never actually run into anyone doing this though, or really anyone I could say was cheating for sure. there's more cheating accusations in the chat in this game compared to any other BF game I've played for some reason.

That reason being the netcode. I keep getting killed in what seems to be 1 bullet by smgs, or when I am already 2 steps around a corner (my ping is 15) and it doesn't help that the killcam often makes it appear as if the shooter had no angle at you whatsoever. We know these problems exist but if you don't it may seem like cheaters.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The Lewis Gun Spinbotters are definitely the most obvious case of cheating and any experienced player will be able to tell.

The netcode issues makes it problematic identifying "legit cheaters" of which there are probably more than you think. I saw a screenshot of some cheat forum with a thread 10 pages long of people saying they cheat legit - those who use an aimbot as an assist or toggle esp on and off so it's not obvious they're wall tracking etc. Those dudes are far harder to catch and I'm not all that surprised Fairfight doesn't get em based on stats (but gets legit great players sometimes, ironically).

Hackusations galore in BF5 but the only surefire ones are the Spinbotters looking to ruin a bunch of pubbies games.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
bf back on the twitch top 10 for the first time since release day

lets see if br is enough to save the game

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Bohemian Nights posted:

In one week it'll be back down to the same number of viewers as CoD 4 again.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Yeah the BR frankly looks like dogshit compared to everything else on the market. Like this could compete with og pubg or maybe, maybe blackout, but I don't think almost anyone is going to stop playing apex to play this

Like it pains me to see a loot system this bad in 2019

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Bohemian Nights posted:

Depends what the underlying problem is. Is it dice themselves or a lack of money EA are willing to invest in Dice's development of the game? If its the latter then maybe an injection of money will speed up new content but honestly I think the games issues are deeper than that and rooted in dice as a developer themselves. I really like the 'core' of this game but everything built on top seems half thought out or incomplete. They just seem lost with what they want to do with the game, even if firestorm turns out to be great, its still feels like something dice are just doing 'because its the popular right now' and just reminds me of their terrible attempt to jam 'esports' into BF1.

I'm actually not against either BR games or 'games as a service' but both implementations seem half arsed here. The tides of war in particular has made me stop playing as I'm sick of joining a game and seeing 10 people building fortifications in base because that's the current tides of war gimmick or whatever (the incredibly slow trickle of maps also doesn't help)

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 25, 2019

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

The recent netcode changes are welcome but what improved my performance the most was playing in Fullscreen vs. Windowed. What’s weird is my fps is roughly the same but one feels much better than the other.

The frostbite engine is fine I just wish they expanded the environmental destruction but there are issues with 360/PS4 keeping up and I don’t want cool features just on the PC.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Mega Comrade posted:

They just seem lost with what they want to do with the game, even if firestorm turns out to be great, its still feels like something dice are just doing 'because its the popular right now' and just reminds me of their terrible attempt to jam 'esports' into BF1.

Did that ever come out? I got to play a bunch of betas of it and it was alright but the problem is no one wants to play Battlefield for a small squad v. squad game, they play Battlefield for 64 v. 64 chaos and explosions (or I do, at least).

I shudder to think how much time and effort was wasted on that mode that could have been better spent on...I dunno...the rest of the maps that got cut from Apocalypse?

Seems like we're repeating history with Firestorm. :(

Goddamn it DICE, it's not hard: Make a Battlefield game with 2 modes, Conquest and Rush* and lots of big destructible maps.

*mmmaybe Titan mode too, if its 2143, cause Titan mode was awesome.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 25, 2019

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Snuffman posted:

Did that ever come out? I got to play a bunch of betas of it and it was alright but the problem is no one wants to play Battlefield for a small squad v. squad game, they play Battlefield for 64 v. 64 chaos and explosions (or I do, at least).

I shudder to think how much time and effort was wasted on that mode that could have been better spent on...I dunno...the rest of the maps that got cut from Apocalypse?

Seems like we're repeating history with Firestorm. :(

Goddamn it DICE, it's not hard: Make a Battlefield game with 2 modes, Conquest and Rush* and lots of big destructible maps.

Incursions died, it wasnt a popular mode at all. Thats why the 5v5 mode getting new exclusive maps is insane, and part of the reason that dev managed to piss everyone off. They're spending time on small non-battlefield modes that end up dying, instead of shifting those resources to further develop and flesh out modes that people actually want to play, like rush. At least squonquest, as terrible as it was, was still just a small conquest derivative. The 5v5 mode is probably gonna be doa, just like incursions.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
It's like they are deliberately avoiding to flesh out the only distinguishing feature they have over the competition. It's mindbogglingly stupid.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Snuffman posted:

It would be a super brave corporate pitch to say "With our next game we plan to do so much less".

Which is ironic because the 5 most popular video games in the world right now all have literally 1 game mode.

e: like, everything the market says about FPS's right now is that people want large scale 64 player games that have you moving rapidly around a large map.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 25, 2019

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I prefer frontlines to rush.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

They should just have two modes: a big expansive non-focused conquest-like mode, and a somewhat smaller but more intense and directed rush-like mode. Design the maps and gameplay specifically around these two experiences instead of making maps for conquest and then making 6 other modes that spread out the population with objectives hackishly laid out on the conquest maps. They try to have a mode for everyone and end up having modes for no one.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Firestorm is cool

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I remember when Battlefield 3 Close Quarters DLC came out and people said "small maps, it's not battlefield" but it was better than everything we got in BFV so far. The destruction in a small map was amazing with all the debris flying around.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Battlefield 3 owned

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

RIP

this was the right decision

Symetrique fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 25, 2019

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

So far this seems like a pretty standard "lol get steamrolled" battle royale mode, although I don't have a squad of normal humans to play with off hand.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Not only was it the right decision but it was obviously the right decision to anyone who ever played five minutes of this game. I don't know why it dragged out (heh) so long, nor why anyone would have wanted it in the first place. It could never be implemented well.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Symetrique posted:

RIP

this was the right decision

Yeah, I was surprised that people even cared about this (or pretended to, and I'm really just referring to reddit people) in a game in which dying doesn't really make a big difference 95% of the time.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
yeah body dragging was insanely dumb and they shoulda realized that at a concept level. just goes back to poor project management with ill-defined scope and thinking through each thing until its too late.

Like instead of that, how about just having moveble emplacements again? something that would actually improve gameplay. In fact that "towing" feature they worked on didn't even need to be a thing either if they had just done that in the first place.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Oddly enough, body dragging was one of those things that people assumed would be in BF3 because of the SP reveal trailer.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Firestorm is pretty fun but gently caress looting off player's corpses. Loot boxes/bags are so much better.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Fart Car '97 posted:

Firestorm is pretty fun but gently caress looting off player's corpses. Loot boxes/bags are so much better.

Bet you frostbite doesn't let you do player loot boxes or some dumb poo poo

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Fart Car '97 posted:

It's worth eyeing over quickly to see if the corpse has a purple.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

so how are people feeling about the BR overall?

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Bohemian Nights posted:

Bet you frostbite doesn't let you do player loot boxes or some dumb poo poo

If Frostbyte is incapable of letting the player look at something, press a button, and then have a menu pop up then EA is loving doomed.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Digirat posted:

It's fun with friends but so is battlefield and I'd rather have had more maps

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Digirat posted:

I love BRs and I love battlefield but there's zero reason whatsoever to play it over any other BR on the market, TBH even og pubg looks favorable in comparison to it. They basically made a decent first/second gen BR but we're solidly into 3rd gen BR now.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Lmao at the cluttered mess that is a dead body. Good luck trying to quickly look for the ammo type you want.

This poo poo is fun but it’s not gonna last. Shame because I like the BFV gunplay a lot

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Digirat posted:

It’s my favorite battle royale game so far, but I’m not sure that’s ultimately a very high bar.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I kinda like Firestorm. (Full disclosure: never played a BR before) Much different change of pace, but the learning curve from normal Battlefield is basically minimal, as opposed to, say, shooting mechanics of GTA... the inventory and armor systems are a thing but easy to figure out. Got myself a two kill game just now and got finished off by a dude I put within like 20 HP of killing... solid nailbiter finale. I look at some other shooters like that Division thing and I see painful bulletspongery, that TTK is just awful, but the longer TTK in this one than normal multiplayer still allows for a little back and forth unless a fool ain't got no armor or something. I think the normal multiplayer TTK is fine for normal multiplayer modes and the longer TTK fits the pacing of Firestorm just as well.

Also being able to carry two molotovs in Firestorm makes them actually useful... the dude I almost got tried to hide behind a pile of barrels so I tossed a couple in to cover some actual ground and flushed him out.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 26, 2019

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
Fyrestorm

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Firestorm is OK. Like I've been saying in Discord though, giving downed players a pistol is a mistake. It basically forces you to execute downed opponents, which means that teams generally don't come out of battles whole. That, along with the armor system, heavily disincentivizes taking fights.

If anything, the regular downed mode in BFV would have been perfect. Downed opponents can't fight or move, but also can't be executed meaning unless a team really takes too much time to finish up a fight, they can usually revive most of their teammates provided they win the engagement. This would probably be the smart move, considering games like Apex and now Fortnite have proven that players absolutely hate when they die early and have to wait for their squad to finish the game.

Anyway, here's a clip from what ended up being a 10-kill win for me, in squads.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/401367397

I do wonder if they should have chosen something that isn't a snow map because holy poo poo its a lot of grey on grey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Don't forget to wear your crab helmets when you play Firestorm.