Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

You miss out on a couple greats though, like Scott's Tots. I think for most people, "Goodbye, Michael" is a good stopping point. But I also think that there are enough good moments in the remaining seasons that if you've gone that far, you might as well plow through them. Things do get pretty dire at times, but the final two episodes are actually very good.

That's true, Scott's Tots is possibly one of the greatest examples of cringe/embarrassment humor ever made. It's a work of art, and it's classic Michael Scott.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
ryan's character and arc were very well-written imo

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

You miss out on a couple greats though, like Scott's Tots. I think for most people, "Goodbye, Michael" is a good stopping point. But I also think that there are enough good moments in the remaining seasons that if you've gone that far, you might as well plow through them. Things do get pretty dire at times, but the final two episodes are actually very good.

Plus you miss one of my favorite little jokes.

Jim: "We can tell him he won Justin Bieber tickets..."
Dwight: "Who's Justice Beaver?"
Jim: "He... it's a crime fighting beaver."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

To clarify, I meant, did Ron ever insinuate that women are inferior than men at ______, or make typical toxic masculinity comments, not full on mental abuse.

Absolutely not. He is not a misogynist and they're very careful about that.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

ryan's character and arc were very well-written imo

Ryan on The Office? The same Ryan they brought back after he defrauded the company just so they could have the character around again?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Last Chance posted:

Ryan on The Office? The same Ryan they brought back after he defrauded the company just so they could have the character around again?

you can't say it wasn't out of character for michael to do that though

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Pick posted:

Absolutely not. He is not a misogynist and they're very careful about that.

Yeah. Even when he extols traditionally masculine outdoorsiness, or WORK, or MEAT or disdains whatever the opposite of that is, I don't think he calls it "girly" or something like that.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Last Chance posted:

yeah

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Ryan just had a hard time processing 9/11

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean the second episode of the US Office is Diversity Day which is maximum cringe but also kinda brilliant.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

bobjr posted:

Ryan just had a hard time processing 9/11

Ryan was just a kid suffering from affluenza

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean the second episode of the US Office is Diversity Day which is maximum cringe but also kinda brilliant.

That episode rules, and was written by Larry motherfucking Wilmore AKA Mr. Brown.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The US Office for all the ways it sucks holds up way better than Parks and Rec

(No UK office that doesn’t mean you’re the best, your Office holds up worst of all)

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Bogus Adventure posted:

That episode rules, and was written by Larry motherfucking Wilmore AKA Mr. Brown.

It also was kinda fun looking back at Kelly in that episode compared to what she became.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

few things on the office were as satisfying as seeing kelly haul back and slap michael's face for being racist

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Wasn't Parks and Rec originally supposed to be a spinoff of The Office built around Ann or something?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Wasn't Parks and Rec originally supposed to be a spinoff of The Office built around Ann or something?

Based around Karen, Rashida Jones's character from the Office.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The US Office for all the ways it sucks holds up way better than Parks and Rec

Not to me.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Karen was the best and Jim done her wrong.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

jim did her so dirty and i'll always hate him for it. she was ten times better than pam, screw pam

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The Office was okay once they stopped saying human being and queer all the time, then it started sucking again once Michael left because the bosses were just assholes instead of well intentioned assholes

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

When did they say human being? I know Todd Packer, a character you're supposed to despise, says queer a few times.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

pam: vanilla-rear end loser and jealous failure who makes fun of other people who accomplish things

karen: multilingual, has a prankster spirit and cool personality

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

karen deserves better than jim

but so does pam for that matter so idk where i'm going with this

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Solice Kirsk posted:

When did they say human being? I know Todd Packer, a character you're supposed to despise, says queer a few times.

Thinking back I dont think Michael ever said human being directly, but called stuff "faggy" a bunch of times. Enough that the plot of the episode "gay witch hunt" happened.

They got way less weird about gay people later thank god, one of my favourite jokes is when that senator dude came out publically and one of the reporters casually says "yes, I have a question for the beard"

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

angela bursts into tears apologizing for how she treated oscar, part of it is because of that whole situation where dwight gets fired, but yeah. i don't remember the f slur anywhere other than the witch hunt ep

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

still kind of lovely that they never even entertained the idea that the senator may have been bi, but that's broadcast tv for you, i guess

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think we're asking a lot from a writing team that can't decide if Angela's kid is Dwight's or not.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

still kind of lovely that they never even entertained the idea that the senator may have been bi, but that's broadcast tv for you, i guess

The only two shows I can think of that actually sacked up and had an openly bisexual character that isn't just confused or experimenting are Lucifer and Brooklyn 99.

With that said Rosa Diaz and the literal actual Devil are the two best bicons I could possibly ask for :unsmigghh:

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think we're asking a lot from a writing team that can't decide if Angela's kid is Dwight's or not.

i thought dwight picked up the wrong diaper to dna test on family portrait day, unless there's some other point i missed?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Danaru posted:

The only two shows I can think of that actually sacked up and had an openly bisexual character that isn't just confused or experimenting are Lucifer and Brooklyn 99.

With that said Rosa Diaz and the literal actual Devil are the two best bicons I could possibly ask for :unsmigghh:

Watch Schitt's Creek. It's on Netflix. It's awesome.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Solice Kirsk posted:

Watch Schitt's Creek. It's on Netflix. It's awesome.

Oh poo poo I forgot about David, yeah he rules too, also I appreciated that he used the same metaphor I use when I have to explain bisexuality to people :v:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Solice Kirsk posted:

Originally they were going to do that season 4 but the writers strike make them cut the plot, which makes me wonder how they would have changed things if that happened instead.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Danaru posted:

There is also Daryl from Crazy Ex Girlfriend. Divorced father of a young teenager, realised he was bi when he fell in love with White Josh, then now that hasn't worked out he's dating a woman who's daughter used to be his own daughter's enemy but they made up for their respective parent's sake.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Danaru posted:

I mean, Eleanor is pretty bi on The Good Place. She doesn't outright say it but she sure acts it.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Push El Burrito posted:

It also was kinda fun looking back at Kelly in that episode compared to what she became.

few things on the office were as satisfying as seeing kelly haul back and slap michael's face for being racist

:agreed:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Danaru posted:

Sara Lance on Arrow/Legends of Tomorrow is bisexual. She also gets to sleep with Guinevere when the gang visits King Arthur. Lol.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
There was a period from like 1997 to 2013 where gay characters were depicted on TV (not necessarily well but generally sympathetically) but no one was allowed to be legit bi for some reason. It's over now tho and there are quite a few bi characters on contemporary programs.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Bogus Adventure posted:

Sara Lance on Arrow/Legends of Tomorrow is bisexual. She also gets to sleep with Guinevere when the gang visits King Arthur. Lol.

Sara Lance sleeps with a lot of women through the ages. In fact, I think the only man she's slept with is Oliver Queen; I haven't caught up to all the shows yet though, I'm still in early 2017.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cleretic posted:

Sara Lance sleeps with a lot of women through the ages. In fact, I think the only man she's slept with is Oliver Queen; I haven't caught up to all the shows yet though, I'm still in early 2017.

There is no quota of men you have to sleep with in order to continue being bisexual.