Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Morbus posted:

You can get small and very light USB battery chargers for pretty cheap (generally specific to the batteries for your particular camera), and those are in turn easy to charge via a large travel battery or a solar charger. For 8 days, one of those Anker power packs or similar travel battery is probably the simplest and most time/weight/volume efficient option. You can get a nominal 10,000 mAh unit that weighs 6-7 oz that should be enough for 8 days on a mirrorless camera if you take 2 fully charged batteries to start.

This isn't as elegant as direct USB charging but it has worked fine for me.

Are you gonna be backpacking for 8 days or will you have access to a car? Cause USB battery charger + car is easiest of all.

No car. Also, what if I cannot charge by USB? My camera does not support it, so I have to remove the battery and place it in a charger that only has a 110V connector. Is there a solar powered charger that has a 110V output?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

theHUNGERian posted:

No car. Also, what if I cannot charge by USB? My camera does not support it, so I have to remove the battery and place it in a charger that only has a 110V connector. Is there a solar powered charger that has a 110V output?

Get a neewer usb charger for your battery. Use a phone battery pack to recharge. Anker make the best in my experience.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 3, 2019

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Get a neewer usb charger for your battery. Use a phone battery pack to recharge. Maker make the best in my experience.

Aha! I did not realize they made these. Problem solved. Thanks.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

No idea how strong the more expensive poles are in comparison, I was under the impression they're all about the same. Cant see myself shelling out $100 on poles lol

I had a pair of BD aluminum poles that I only ditched because I bent the poo poo out of one of them taking a bad step off of a snowfield on Trailrider Pass. That pole saved my life. I'll shell out again after the second pair of CMTs bites the dust.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

theHUNGERian posted:

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FF3HW5F/ref=sspa_dk_hqp_detail_aax_0?psc=1

Plus a 10,000 mAh travel battery is what I usually use. These kind of USB battery chargers generally work well with solar chargers also.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Morbus posted:

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FF3HW5F/ref=sspa_dk_hqp_detail_aax_0?psc=1

Plus a 10,000 mAh travel battery is what I usually use. These kind of USB battery chargers generally work well with solar chargers also.

Yeah, I already have a 22k mAh travel battery, while the camera battery only needs 2.3k mAh, so the travel battery should be enough on its own without a solar panel. I just didn't realize they made camera battery chargers that run off of the travel battery.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'm thinking of doing my first overnight solo trip. Any suggestions for something that's ideally is near Boston, doesn't have bears, has a place for a campfire, and a spot to hang a hammock? Emphasis for this trip is on the solo aspect. I've done a lot of hiking and camping but never solo.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

huhu posted:

I'm thinking of doing my first overnight solo trip. Any suggestions for something that's ideally is near Boston, doesn't have bears, has a place for a campfire, and a spot to hang a hammock? Emphasis for this trip is on the solo aspect. I've done a lot of hiking and camping but never solo.

is the fire a hard requirement? if its for cooking, get yourself a stove, they are incredibly small and cheap and light

the only difference between a solo camp and a group camp is that you have to birng all your geal yourself, you don't have to go somewhere special

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

huhu posted:

Babby's First Trip for me was the Hancocks in NH, good starter overnight as it's flat most of the time, not far from the road, lots of water and plenty of traffic since they're 4Ks. But the actual hike up is kind of a slog and views aren't great from the summits. Second trip was a loop over Tom, Field & Willy starting with Ethan Pond Trail in Crawford Notch, which is much nicer. There's a huge camping spot off Ethan Pond just south of the Ethan /Twinway/Zealand Trail intersection (right before the camping restriction sign and to the left if you're heading north), big flat area but not exactly isolated (thru hikers use that area all the time) and pretty ugly, water right near camp. It's a drainage area so go when water levels are low, same with the Hancock hike although I've read the Cedar Brook Trail has been rerouted so there aren't as many crossings.

There's a better spot right where the Zeacliff trail drops down off the Ethan Pond Trail, it's a bit to the left right before the Whitewall Brook crossing. In fact that's a really nice hike, doing a Zealand/Ethan/Zeacliff/Twinway loop, but the Zeacliff trail is steep as poo poo and there are a few tricky scrambles where you'd need to throw your pack up. You'd be in bear country on any of these but there are very few places in NE that aren't, unless you want to camp out in someone's backyard in Medford or something. At the very least my suggestion would be to plan out a trip with a reliable water source near camp for your first time out, it's one less thing to manage when you're putting your toe in. Crawford/Stairs is actually my fav overnight trip, pretty easy and awesome views both at Crawford and the camping spot at Stairs, but you're up on a ridge so water is very limited (though supposedly there's a spring at the old Resolution shelter).

Sorry, I've got cabin fever and have been planning trips for the past couple of weeks, just waiting for this weather to thaw out.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

underage at the vape shop posted:

I think I'll wait until I try a bunch on in the store, but I think I'm leaning towards boots.

I'll check out trail runners too when I go into the store. None of the 3 good ones near me stock Peregrines though. The boots I see Australians recommend a lot are Scarpa SL's, they retail for $500, yoikes.

I know it's too late, but I've got boots from these guys and they're the most comfortable thing I've ever worn. I did a 20km hike with 16kg pack the week they arrived and I didn't need to break them in. They're waterproof but ultra breathable. The downside there is my feet started getting chilly once I finished setting up camp because of the sweat evaporating. These are probably the only boot I'm ever buying from now on.

They also do regular sales, but even at full price they're half the cost of what you'll find in store.

I prefer boots because I enjoy not having to deal with grass seeds pricking my ankles ankles. Inch ants will have difficulty getting at my skin and I get the psychological benefit of thinking snakes probably wont bite me too easily. I also like the extra height of material in damp/wet conditions.

I'd look at warmer bags for your trip though. -6 with a liner might not be warm enough, especially if you're in less than ideal conditions. You can always use an unzipped warmer bag as a quilt for use in QLD (plus you'll have a bag for colder locations). I've read that there are designated cabins for people doing the Overland, but you're not always guaranteed a sleeping spot. There are platforms to set up a tent beside the cabins I believe, and camping off the trail is highly frowned upon.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m going to be staying around Ontario, California for a few days and this weekend. Anyone recommend any cool hikes in the LA National Forest? I’m looking currently at the Ice House Canyon trail.

Looking for 6-10 miles, moderate is fine, hard is probably fine if not 10 miles of staircase.

I’ll bring back pictures.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Icehouse is probably still very snowy. Do you have traction for your feet? Poles or an axe? If so, you can probably make it up to the saddle (about 3 miles one way). After that it gets really hairy.

The front range is probably the only snow free area at the moment. You can start at Chantry Flat and do the Mt. Wilson loop (~14 miles).

Strawberry Peak hike would be good too.

Check road conditions (specifically the 2 / Angeles Crest Hwy) before heading up.

khysanth fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 13, 2019

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I won’t be outfitted for ice or anything more than light snow. I’ll be sure to check road/trail conditions. Good heads up, thanks.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ok so I ended up going out to Big Bear and hiking the Cougar Ridge Trail to another that climbed Bertha’s Peak. It went from mud, which my waterproof boots handle well, to deep slush, which they don’t exactly. Traction was never an issue but I’m going to start poking around the gear thread for gaiter and pole recommendations. I was fine with a little slush in my shoe because it was just an out and back at an average of 48 degrees, but I’d hate to have that happen on a longer, colder trip. Here’s some pics!

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Rolo posted:

Ok so I ended up going out to Big Bear and hiking the Cougar Ridge Trail to another that climbed Bertha’s Peak. It went from mud, which my waterproof boots handle well, to deep slush, which they don’t exactly. Traction was never an issue but I’m going to start poking around the gear thread for gaiter and pole recommendations. I was fine with a little slush in my shoe because it was just an out and back at an average of 48 degrees, but I’d hate to have that happen on a longer, colder trip. Here’s some pics!

I think the popular vote for poles is the set you can get from Costco, which may or may not be the same as these guys. Lever lock are apparently superior to twist lock.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Yea those are the poles.

Another option are the monoprice poles: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15319

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ooh and only 35 bucks.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
What is the go to site for "I'd like to see hikes in location X"? Either I'm not appreciating correctly the sites on Google correctly or I'm searching for the wrong thing.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Try the AllTrails app. I travel for work and can basically bring up an interactive map of trails near me wherever I go. Also has ratings, reviews, photos, maps, etc. It’s awesome.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Rolo posted:

Try the AllTrails app. I travel for work and can basically bring up an interactive map of trails near me wherever I go. Also has ratings, reviews, photos, maps, etc. It’s awesome.

Does that one list overnight trails?

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

huhu posted:

Does that one list overnight trails?

Any trail is an overnight trail if you hike slow enough

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I mean you can filter things like distance. Find yourself an 80 mile trail and go nuts.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Discomancer posted:

Any trail is an overnight trail if you hike slow enough

Or get lost.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

huhu posted:

What is the go to site for "I'd like to see hikes in location X"? Either I'm not appreciating correctly the sites on Google correctly or I'm searching for the wrong thing.

I like Komoot. I've only used it to plan bicycle touring but it works for hiking as well. Shows you everything notable in a particular area, with pictures and user reviews.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Alltrails is good.

Pulling up the area you're searching around in https://www.caltopo.com is also great. Build your own trail!

Morbus
May 18, 2004

khysanth posted:

Alltrails is good.

Pulling up the area you're searching around in https://www.caltopo.com is also great. Build your own trail!

A lot of my favorite hikes have come from doing just this.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

I'm about two weeks out from hiking the relatively new Guadalupe Ridge Trail from Guadalupe Mountains National Park to Carlsbad Caverns National Park through the Lincoln National Forest. I think I have the trail route sorted out, but man, it sure can be tricky plotting a path when it's so hard to find good published trail maps for a newish trail. Here's hoping I don't die in the desert.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
hikingproject.com is another option.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Hungryjack posted:

I'm about two weeks out from hiking the relatively new Guadalupe Ridge Trail from Guadalupe Mountains National Park to Carlsbad Caverns National Park through the Lincoln National Forest. I think I have the trail route sorted out, but man, it sure can be tricky plotting a path when it's so hard to find good published trail maps for a newish trail. Here's hoping I don't die in the desert.

Are there any other good long trails in Texas? The Lone Star up in Huntsville is dreadfully boring

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Morbus posted:

A lot of my favorite hikes have come from doing just this.
I've even found a few trails from historical topographic maps. (Sometimes trails get taken off maps when they aren't as large as these new 'highway' trails.)

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Hungryjack posted:

Am extremely interested in your trip report!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This might be a weird question out of nowhere, but anyone in here ever had a scary encounter on a hike with wildlife?

I've got a solo trip planned in the rockies (both in Montana and Canada) this summer and have a couple spots picked out I want to try to overnight. I'm not a complete outdoors beginner, I've been around the block. But I'm no veteran either.. all my backcountry stuff has been with large groups and fauna was a distant concern. I've done google searches and it's pretty easy to find lots of horror stories motivating you to never step foot on a trail without a machine gun but there's also lots of veteran hikers out there that regularly go out solo.

I'm just having trouble getting a sense for how often encounters actually happen (especially in the rockies, where I have very little time spent) and how you deal with them. Reading bear spray tutorials is helpful and all but are light on practical advice that you'd pick up hanging out with a more experienced hiker, so anecdotes are also helpful.

If my idea is asinine I'm fine with that too, I'm not hard committed to these solo hikes so feel free to talk me out of it.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

xzzy posted:

This might be a weird question out of nowhere, but anyone in here ever had a scary encounter on a hike with wildlife?

I've got a solo trip planned in the rockies (both in Montana and Canada) this summer and have a couple spots picked out I want to try to overnight. I'm not a complete outdoors beginner, I've been around the block. But I'm no veteran either.. all my backcountry stuff has been with large groups and fauna was a distant concern. I've done google searches and it's pretty easy to find lots of horror stories motivating you to never step foot on a trail without a machine gun but there's also lots of veteran hikers out there that regularly go out solo.

I'm just having trouble getting a sense for how often encounters actually happen (especially in the rockies, where I have very little time spent) and how you deal with them. Reading bear spray tutorials is helpful and all but are light on practical advice that you'd pick up hanging out with a more experienced hiker, so anecdotes are also helpful.

If my idea is asinine I'm fine with that too, I'm not hard committed to these solo hikes so feel free to talk me out of it.

In grizzly territory, I'd probably carry bear spray and keep it readily available (on my hip or whatever) and know how to use it (unlock, aim, and fire within a few seconds if I'm being charged).

Make a big mist/cloud that the bear has to run through. Each brand will tell you how far theirs shoots, etc.

Statistically you are unlikely to have any negative wildlife experience. But be prepared if you do.

Black bears will usually be more afraid of you than you are of them. If they do fight you, attack back and fight for your life.

Brown bears are different. In general they do not care about you, and certainly aren't afraid. A grizzly may bluff charge you. If it decides to attack for real, lay down on your stomach, spread out your legs so it can't flip you over, and protect the back of your neck and head as much as you can. Play dead otherwise, make yourself seem non-threatening.

Be aware of where you might likely surprise a bear, which is the most dangerous way to encounter one. Blind turns on trail, near water sources, berry patches etc. In general, make some noise while you're hiking around to alert wildlife of your presence. Never get between a mother bear and her cubs. Never run. Talk in a loud clear voice and slowly back away. Don't maintain direct eye contact.

Again, the statistical chance of something like that happening is incredibly small. Your life is in much greater danger on your drive to/from the trailhead.

khysanth fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 29, 2019

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I surprised a black bear once on a turn and that idiot couldn’t run away fast enough stumbling over itself. It was hilarious. Big idiot raccoons those black bears

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I feel like I'e also heard making yourself large and loud is good for scaring away brown bears too but maybe it depends on the situation. Most bears don't want to attack unless it's an unusual circumstance, bufor practical advice I'd say carry bear spray, know how to use it, and if you're in a situation where you see a bear and have time to react and get ready, be prepared to use the spray as khysanth described.

If you surprise a bear and don't have time to react you're also probably not going to have time to bluff it by acting bigger etc either so yeah just protect yourself.

I've encountered a couple of black bears before and mostly they just run or look at you sideways and avoid you but yeah Montana and Canada will have more brown bears. The last time I was in grizzly territory was in the Wind Rivers and I don't think they really have a population there, just that they're sometimes spotted around that location, but we carried bear spray anyways.

Oh and I guess people recommend being far more careful with food hygiene in grizzly country. Cook and eat a good ways away from your camp, and I've even seen people say don't keep the clothes you cooked and ate in inside your tent, but that seems like going a bit far.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well that's the fun part with reading up on bear encounters, the advice shifts greatly depending on who you talk to. Readily available bear spray (as in, on your belt so you can grab it instantly) and not surprising them (by being audible) is the only consistent advice.

My main hangup is on statistics.. how often do people have a standoff with a bear (or a moose, or basically anything that can murder a human), how often does that result in using bear spray, and how often do injuries happen anyways?

Half of me is thinking of chickening out and skipping these hikes I really want to see, and the other half is well PROBABLY nothing will happen so do it anyways you wimp.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Most times I wouldn't care too much but in grizzly territory, I would definitely carry a can of bear spray. As much as I've been outside, I haven't had a whole lot of scary encounters. Most animals run off pretty quick, including bears. Black bears are mostly just giant trashcoons and run off pretty quickly. Just keep your space and carry some spray in a place you can keep it handy.

In all honesty, the most "oh poo poo" moments I've had were

1. Having a gun pulled on me because my buddy and I bushwacked to an off trail lake and surprised a guy who was fishing and clearly not expecting any company. As we came out of the woods, I saw the guy turn around with his hand on his gun and unholstered it. Once he realized we were people, he reholstered.
2. Mountain goats in the enchantments. These things were loving aggressive. They follow you, they back you down off a trail, they'll corner you etc. No joke, they got between our group an wouldn't let people pass. Apparently they also take being higher than them as a sign of aggression so they always try to get above you. They were my biggest "oh poo poo" moment in all honesty.
3. Losing a trail while snowshoeing and getting cliffed out when we lost the trail.
4. Trying to scramble a random peak in the north cascades/pasayten and realizing one slip meant an instant death. That put everything in check pretty quick.

Verman fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 29, 2019

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Never not hike because of nature and animals. That’s part of the appeal.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
In my opinion, one of the scariest things about hiking solo, especially in a new area, would be getting lost.

I enjoy alone time and solitude but getting into a seriously lovely situation completely alone has kept me from pursuing more extensive solo trips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Levitate posted:

Oh and I guess people recommend being far more careful with food hygiene in grizzly country. Cook and eat a good ways away from your camp, and I've even seen people say don't keep the clothes you cooked and ate in inside your tent, but that seems like going a bit far.

If you're talking actual safety if you have real reason to believe there are active bears it seems like the minimum appropriate amount. If you are in real-rear end bear country you should be cooking hundreds of yards from your tent, and hanging bear bags or leaving canisters similarly far away. If you just want to make yourself feel safer, then just hang a bear bag with your food and toothpaste. I live in New England, no grizzly bears and low overall activity so a bear hang is "fine."

Bears have an incredibly good sense of smell. The wrong bear will come after a tent for something like sunscreen or flavored toothpaste (a bear that goes for a tent is already either desperate or has been trained to expect food around humans). They will absolutely be able to smell the Ramen you cooked and dribbled a bit of on your shirt.

I'm not even convinced that 99% of "bear hangs," are really worth poo poo either, but I still do them. Bears very possibly have the best sense of smell on the planet. It's almost impossible to truly keep the scent of food off all your belongings and person. You'll forget a wrapper in a side pocket, maybe a jolly rancher melted a little bit in your hip pouch, you definitely spilled some tuna juice at lunch, etc.

quote:

An average dog has a sense of smell 100 times better than a humans. The bloodhound has got a next level sniffer with sensitivity 300 times that of humans. Keeping that in mind, black bears out rank the competition by having a nose that can smell 7 times better than the bloodhound. That means a black bear can smell 2,100 times better than your fellow humans!

I'm not trying to scare this dude, dangerous bear encounters are extremely, vanishingly rare on trail and he should go on this trip and have a blast. But yeah, bears can 100% smell the poo poo you cooked/ate on your clothes.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 29, 2019