Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

fzr400 from years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Yeah, most of the current crop of sport bikes look like rear end and will not age well. Just so many lines and angles, it’s like they’re all squinting as hard as they can.
This has been a serious problem with most non-cruisers for 15-20 years. Is this a school of design philosophy or something? Just angle angle angle incoherent shape angle contrasting color angle. Like all design is copying motocross bikes with racing stickers on them. BMW GS, FZ, most sport bikes, most touring bikes... I feel like KTM is the only brand that kind of makes it work, because they take it to such a silly extreme that it kinda looks cool like something from star wars. And the shapes and colors on KTMs are less incoherent even if they are silly and angular for no reason. Like a Countach.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

This has been a serious problem with most non-cruisers for 15-20 years. Is this a school of design philosophy or something? Just angle angle angle incoherent shape angle contrasting color angle. Like all design is copying motocross bikes with racing stickers on them. BMW GS, FZ, most sport bikes, most touring bikes... I feel like KTM is the only brand that kind of makes it work, because they take it to such a silly extreme that it kinda looks cool like something from star wars. And the shapes and colors on KTMs are less incoherent even if they are silly and angular for no reason. Like a Countach.

:greenangel:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

That's way better than alphabet soup from most Japanese manufacturers these days

https://images.app.goo.gl/HBFwRUadKFDTL8bT6

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 21, 2019

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

It's a symptom of modern CAD/CAM making that stuff actually possible produce (I reckon).

You see basically the same poo poo on cars, lots of crease lines and sharp chins and greebly bits that would be impossible (or at least impossibly expensive) to make consistently with old manufacturing techniques.

Just the fact of it being possible means designers are playing around with that stuff, because it's never been done before. They'll grow out of it eventually.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

God I love that dorky headlight.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

haha same here

it rules too that you can run it with just the accent/strip lights only and not the actual headlight too :D

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

For whatever reason I don't mind the new R1 or even the FZ/MT10 but the headlight cluster on the FZ/MT09 is butt ugly. I still bought one, but it is not a pretty bike. It's like the CG artists from the Transformers movies all got design jobs at Yamaha .

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What I hate is that making a cool looking frame and engine is now too much effort so let's make some anonymous garbage covered in black plastic triangles and call it 'naked'.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Effort's pretty dear, m8

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Slavvy posted:

What I hate is that making a cool looking frame and engine is now too much effort so let's make some anonymous garbage covered in black plastic triangles and call it 'naked'.

It's like they're trying to use "Nude Descending a staircase" as a design language. I wonder if part of the interest in modern cafe bikes (besides hipsters) is people wanting a standard bike that doesn't look so busy.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

This has been a serious problem with most non-cruisers for 15-20 years. Is this a school of design philosophy or something? Just angle angle angle incoherent shape angle contrasting color angle.

It's just a trend. Design, like fashion and politics, goes in cycles as people get bored with the status quo and look for something new and different. Cars alternate between round and pointy on about a ten- or fifteen-year cycle. We're right at the end of a pointy phase right now and are starting to swing back to round again. Motorcycle design seems to lag car design by a bit so it's dead in the middle of pointy, but from here on they should start heading back to round.

But the key thing is that there are good pointy designs and bad ones, and good round designs and bad ones. Remember the first Cadillac CTS coupe and how amazing it looked at the time? It was a hard-edged design coming right out of the '90s blobular "we just discovered Alias" language, so it stood out like nothing else. Now it's almost pleasantly clean compared to the creases and folds in a 2019 Prius.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

:same:

Good news is style is cyclical, so dope frames will be back, in ~THE FUTURE~

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
I think the frames for Kawasaki’s Z bikes are cool. Especially when they’re green.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The future is here
https://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/ftr1200-s/

Frame can be black or red, you decide.

I actually sat on a few in Daytona last week. Can't ride em on the road yet, but everything about it felt superb. The inferior version of that motor in a Scout felt very smooth and incredibly capable. It's going to be one hell of a bike.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 25, 2019

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I like it, but just why is it so heavy?

Weight (Empty Tank / Full of Fuel)497 lbs / 518 lbs (226 kg / 235 kg).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I know this will get me thrown out of the Desmodromic Brotherhood, but polished aluminium perimeter frames (and equally sculpted singarms) are sexy as hell and need to come back immediately. loving hate all these pseudo-trellis frames and powdercoated black beams.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Supradog posted:

I like it, but just why is it so heavy?

Weight (Empty Tank / Full of Fuel)497 lbs / 518 lbs (226 kg / 235 kg).
As compared to what, a liter sport bike? It's pretty close to most non-race 1L standards out there. Same weight as Bonneville, Sportster and CB1100. And less than adventure bikes without luggage.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Compared to other 1000+ cc nakeds I mean?

superduke 1290 is 200KG dry, ducati 1200 monster is 207 wet, HONDA CB1000R 212kg wet.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
It's lighter than every single Harley isn't it?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Supradog posted:

superduke 1290 is 200KG dry, ducati 1200 monster is 207 wet, HONDA CB1000R 212kg wet.
I looked up the Honda, and it's 22 lb difference. Seriously? That's an issue?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Supradog posted:

Those are all relatively compact naked sportbikes and not really comparable at all, like it's been said this thing is more like a Zrx or cb1100 or similar. Large powerful retro bike. Also remember it has a gigantic cruiser engine and a large part of the weight is there.

Also also, having weighed a bunch of bikes I can tell you most of the specs are wildly optimistic and there's a good chance Indian haven't caught on to the fact that everyone lies yet.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Speaking of which, I got to ride a '19 1290 Super Duke R this weekend and man it was amazing. It was insane how light that bike feels despite being the same weight as my Tuono and heavier than my DRZ. The handling was precise and smooth like a knife through butter, and jesus god it pulls like a freight train when you get on it.

I wanted to try the 690 SMC too but the schedule was too packed, couldn't get another time slot without waiting hours

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Slavvy posted:

Those are all relatively compact naked sportbikes and not really comparable at all, like it's been said this thing is more like a Zrx or cb1100 or similar. Large powerful retro bike. Also remember it has a gigantic cruiser engine and a large part of the weight is there.

Also also, having weighed a bunch of bikes I can tell you most of the specs are wildly optimistic and there's a good chance Indian haven't caught on to the fact that everyone lies yet.

I wonder how it will stack up against the XR1200. I wouldn't have high hopes for the XR but that's one of the few harley models I'd buy.

E: yep, and it matches up as well (poorly) as I expected.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 25, 2019

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

As Nero Danced posted:

I wonder how it will stack up against the XR1200. I wouldn't have high hopes for the XR but that's one of the few harley models I'd buy.

Do you mean the discontinued 2012 XR1200? cause it blows that one out of the water, like 92 hp vs 130

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I rode every variation of Harley at Daytona demo event and every clutch felt like it was inspired by my old F150 beater farm truck. There is basically no difference whether it cost $14k or 32k. It was kinda sad. Especially after riding Indians and having much better time on 'em. Then there is an artificially induced vibration. Because old bikes used to vibrate, you see. Let's give all riders a carpal tunnel syndrome for no loving reason. Still, I think XR1200 is cool and I'll buy one if found cheap enough.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nitrox posted:

I rode every variation of Harley at Daytona demo event and every clutch felt like it was inspired by my old F150 beater farm truck. There is basically no difference whether it cost $14k or 32k. It was kinda sad. Especially after riding Indians and having much better time on 'em. Then there is an artificially induced vibration. Because old bikes used to vibrate, you see. Let's give all riders a carpal tunnel syndrome for no loving reason. Still, I think XR1200 is cool and I'll buy one if found cheap enough.

I can assure you the vibration isn't artificially induced, it's just that every other bike you've ridden has it engineered out. It's more authentic than not having any vibration, comfort notwithstanding. Maybe you're gripping too tight?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I would've sworn I read or watched something about the Milwaukee 8 that said they'd specifically engineered it to leave some of the vibration in because otherwise it wouldn't have the expected Harley character

mewse
May 2, 2006

Jazzzzz posted:

I would've sworn I read or watched something about the Milwaukee 8 that said they'd specifically engineered it to leave some of the vibration in because otherwise it wouldn't have the expected Harley character

https://www.cycleworld.com/harley-davidson-motorcycles-new-milwaukee-eight-big-twin-engine#page-9

quote:

For the first time in a rubber-mounted Big Twin, a single counter-rotating internal balancer is used to cancel 75 percent of the engine’s primary shaking force. When an engine with complete vibration cancellation was tested, riders rejected it; some vibration is an essential element of Harley’s unique feel. Riders of long ago accepted lots of raw vibration, but most riders today do not—and Harley-David­son here appears to be satisfying the faithful customer with some of the shake they love while also smoothing the engine to the degree that will attract new customers with an increased level of refinement. Heavy vibration is tiring, so long-distance riders want engine smoothness—but still want the drama of handlebars shaking at idle—and the relationship with the moving parts.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
The big twins have for a long time had an amazing ability to vibrate like all stupid poo poo when idling at a traffic light -- when everyone needs to look at you and admire you as a raw undiluted rebellious individual masculine free spirit -- yet be almost electric motor smooth at cruising RPMs on the interstate one stop to the nearest Hooters.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The big twins have for a long time had an amazing ability to vibrate like all stupid poo poo when idling at a traffic light -- when everyone needs to look at you and admire you as a raw undiluted rebellious individual masculine free spirit -- yet be almost electric motor smooth at cruising RPMs on the interstate one stop to the nearest Hooters.

This. Front wheel and tail fender shake like a mofo at a stop, at speed it's just pure rear end-massage. Harleys as a concept are great bikes for riding within the speed limit as you can push the bike's relatively low limits without license losing speeds, the good ones can be positively magical in a '2 wheeled 60s muscle car' kind of way.

Harleys in practice are optioned by terrible middle aged men and all ride like garbage as a result.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.

Slavvy posted:

...most of the specs are wildly...
This would explain why my Z900RS feels a thousand pounds heavier than my car.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

I still remember the last time I saw a Harley actually being ridden off*; when the guy started it the engine was jumping around in the cradle like mad, but seemed to settle right down once he started moving.

Tbh the thing it most reminded me of was the lovely old diesel buses we have around here, which are fine under straight line motion but every time they stop at a set of lights it feels like all the windows are going to get shaken out of their frames.

In conclusion, Harley = lovely old bus.

*years ago now. I see them parked all the time though :v:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I can assure you that it's vibrating at speed as well, just much less. I didn't go far, maybe 15-20 min on each bike, but managed to hit 70 mph. Under throttle application, you feel vibration through handlebars, and while neglidible in bursts, would have been a problem on a long ride. Big Indian bikes shake while sitting still at idle as well. But truly smooth out as soon as you start moving. Seem like Indian made a better Harley-Davidson. Most of the Indian riders I spoke to, are harley converts.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

This is Harley’s problem though, isn’t it? They can’t move away from their core demographic too much because right now that’s where their cash is at, but that hamstrings them in terms of making good bikes.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

builds character posted:

This is Harley’s problem though, isn’t it? They can’t move away from their core demographic too much because right now that’s where their cash is at, but that hamstrings them in terms of making good bikes.

Pretty much. HD needs to copy Porsche's strategy (there's a v-rod joke here somewhere) and realize the core customer base will still buy their halo products even while bitching about the models that actually sell and keep the company open.

mewse
May 2, 2006

builds character posted:

One of their many problems. They seem to be experiencing every problem the American car industry experienced but delayed because they have a fanatic base and their products are throwbacks because of their fanatic base

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

As Nero Danced posted:

Pretty much. HD needs to copy Porsche's strategy (there's a v-rod joke here somewhere) and realize the core customer base will still buy their halo products even while bitching about the models that actually sell and keep the company open.

That is exactly what they're in the process of doing. Trump's trumping really kicked then in the balls though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I've posted aggresively in this thread about my VFR750 1994. I love it, the four cylincer is throaty, I love the sound, and the overall feel of the bike. It's just so aggresively nineties in styling that it has freaking lasers come out of it.
Anyway, I found a local italian motorcycle racer, Silvio Simeoni, who builds motorcycles and frames as a hobby and I took it to him. I wanted him to make it look like a 2006 CBR 600RR because I think it's a pretty bike. He laughed first and I thought he was gonna say that's dumb, but then says "but yes sure is no problem".
He just wanted to make sure he can do what he sees fit and doesn't ask everything from me. I said that it's of course fine.

Sometimes on Facebook he just sends "the rear frame no fit with seat, I cut pieces off"
"I cut the licence plate holder, did not look good. Did new one".

It's hilarious.

Started from here:

Couple weeks later this is where we are at, but not the freshest pics. The licence plate holder is gone.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 28, 2019