Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I bought NMS on release and played it and enjoyed it but it was basically a $60 clicker game with Spore monsters that ran like poo poo. I know they have worked on it a lot in the past year or so but I am definitely not Excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s a different game than it was on release, completely different.

That game is still there, but there is a ton more now.

I’m trying not to shill for NMS and get too hard on the hype train because of its history, but the thought of having multiple bases all over the galaxy and the crazy amount of exploration and multiplayer fun to be had in VR has got me fairly hyped up

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s a different game than it was on release, completely different.

That game is still there, but there is a ton more now.

I’m trying not to shill for NMS and get too hard on the hype train because of its history, but the thought of having multiple bases all over the galaxy and the crazy amount of exploration and multiplayer fun to be had in VR has got me fairly hyped up

Yeah I'm definitely gonna give it a look if the (VR) reviews are promising.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

NMS is pretty cool now and has (to me) way more gameplay and things to do than Elite. Obviously the flight sim stuff is no where near as detailed though. Kinda grindy but that's also the genre. I installed mods to give me way higher yield on everything and it kept the game moving at a good clip. I'll definitely jump back in with VR.

I wish Elite wasn't a half MMO thing so I could mod it in a similar way.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I got busy with life when NMS came out but basically is it Minecraft mixed with Rick and Morty because as an outsider that's what the trailer looks like to me

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hadlock posted:

I got busy with life when NMS came out but basically is it Minecraft mixed with Rick and Morty because as an outsider that's what the trailer looks like to me

As I mentioned. It’s Skyrim In Space mixed with Minecraft and Elite Dangerous.

You explore planetary surfaces for materials, build bases, ground vehicles, ships, etc. you fight the flora, fauna and intergalactic police. Then you take to the air, dogfight, warp around , fly to planets, visit mega ships, space stations, yell at aliens and hang out with your buds. It’s a very chill game.

It is also the best at the outer space to planet and back transition. It’s seamless and super impressive.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Guys it’s happening, I’m getting hype

https://twitter.com/nomanssky/status/1110301498846502912?s=21

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Galactic scale multiplayer Skyrim sounds relevant to my interests

Can you do private dedicated servers or what. Maybe there's a NMS thread for this

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

At least it's free.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I didn't play NMS at all until the recent Next update and it was fun and worth the $30 or whatever I paid for it. The base building, which I guess didn't exist at release, is the best part. I'll look forward to going back and exploring bases in VR, but may or may not spend a ton more time depending on the rest of the update.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Any swear mitigation strategies you all can recommend? I’m getting back into Beatsaber to lose some extra pounds and I’m worried I’m going to damage my vive.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Warbird posted:

Any swear mitigation strategies you all can recommend? I’m getting back into Beatsaber to lose some extra pounds and I’m worried I’m going to damage my vive.

Obey your Chaperone border. Respect the Chaperone border.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I think he meant sweat. Get a pleather VRcover, a floor fan and a sweat rag. Dry yourself often with sweat rag.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-90-BE8uq8

New Blade & Sorcery update looks sick as hell. I’m excited.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Holy poo poo

HOLY poo poo

gently caress off GORN I have a new lover now

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Taintrunner posted:

JESUS loving CHRIST

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
That just makes me really want a vr Bushido Blade.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Origami Dali posted:

That just makes me really want a vr Bushido Blade.

multiplayer 1v1 Bushido mode in Blade and Sorcery please

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Huh, there seems to be some rumblings the Rift S might be releasing this thursday. If that happens I guess well find out sooner rather than later and maybe all the back and forth here will be dead :v:

Also the Vive focus plus, the new all in one with 6dof controllers is going to come out on April 15th, for... $800 bucks. Price is crazy, its still a snapdragon 835, but I am curious how well that weird ultrasonic tracking for the controllers works.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

When I first got my headset, I played arizona sunshine and for a brief moment the normalized level of hyper-violence in video games shone through the calcified blinders built up over years of playing shooters, illuminating me how much of a jump into murder simulation VR was. In conclusion: holy poo poo i'm fuckin lmfao at this vid

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

Huh, there seems to be some rumblings the Rift S might be releasing this thursday. If that happens I guess well find out sooner rather than later and maybe all the back and forth here will be dead :v:

This does not seem likely to me...? Fingers crossed I guess

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's a good chance that they will do a soft launch to developers and selected media at the end of this quarter, which is in a couple of days. That would not surprise me.

I would think they will have a weeks long marketing hype cycle before release, rather than an unceremonious immediate release. Nothing stokes interest like limitless stories in the media it long wait times and speculation about pre-order numbers

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
Do any of you watch sports in VR? I am thinking about getting a NBA VR Pass but the pricing and experience are not well explained. Are there any catches?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hadlock posted:

There's a good chance that they will do a soft launch to developers and selected media at the end of this quarter, which is in a couple of days. That would not surprise me.

I would think they will have a weeks long marketing hype cycle before release, rather than an unceremonious immediate release. Nothing stokes interest like limitless stories in the media it long wait times and speculation about pre-order numbers

Yeah for what Oculus purports it to be, there should be some decent-sized buildup LONG before it sees retail shelves. Nevermind developer and preview units going out.

I was also expecting it would be a simultaneous thing alongside the Quest, actually.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Shemp the Stooge posted:

Do any of you watch sports in VR? I am thinking about getting a NBA VR Pass but the pricing and experience are not well explained. Are there any catches?

It looks pretty drat hokey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOvyOK-bdAU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Lemming posted:

This does not seem likely to me...? Fingers crossed I guess

Yeah, seems unlikely, but there was some speculation behind

1) Thursday is during PAX, where oculus still had more info held back, admittedly about games but could always be more
2) Apparently there were some well known VR streamers or whatever the term is for people that sit around making videos who weren't at GDC, but had all been invited to PAX
3) The rift has been reported as sold out on their website over the past few weeks
4) There was today a Best Buy page up for the Rift S that listed the release date as march 28th, which was then shortly taken down and is no longer available.
5) The 3 year anniversary date of the release of the Rift

So, I mean it feels really weak, but I can see a decent story being cobbled together from all that that.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I can see preorders going up on Thursday. And more detail on the 128GB Quest model, etc

I can't see people walking out of Best Buy with units in hand though

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Hadlock posted:

I can see preorders going up on Thursday. And more detail on the 128GB Quest model, etc

I can't see people walking out of Best Buy with units in hand though

Yeah that seems more likely to me. Like I'm pretty sure the Go was announced and then had some lead up time in the same way.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Warbird posted:

Don't ever place your Vive facedown (front down). Anecodtally every story of the Vive being damaged by sweat I've read includes says they set the Vive down, front down after an intense session. Since there is no waterproofing if there is sweat in the eye box and you put it face down then the sweat will run into the electronics/panels.

Since the DAS came out, I haven't read any more stories of the Vive being destroyed so maybe if you keep it up right it's much less likely to be damaged.

TLDR: Get a DAS, store it face up, don't let yourself get too sweaty (play in your boxers with a window AC unit).

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

FBS posted:

I bought NMS on release and played it and enjoyed it but it was basically a $60 clicker game with Spore monsters that ran like poo poo. I know they have worked on it a lot in the past year or so but I am definitely not Excited.

I asked my brother who owns it and he said the new update took it from 1/10 up to an enthusiastic 3/10

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Lemming posted:

Yeah that seems more likely to me. Like I'm pretty sure the Go was announced and then had some lead up time in the same way.

They kept saying "it will be out in spring", and there were lots of rumors, and people figuring they'd release it at F8, but I don't think Oculus commented on it until F8 where they just said "its available right now".

LIke I said, I don't think its likely, but I also wouldn't be shocked if they said in the middle of a gamer convention "and its available right now!" or something.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
According to Valve in a Road to VR article, apparently they're still committed to VR Hardware, and those three new full VR games. Their current theory is that the Knuckles are now functionally done, but Valve are sitting on them until one or all of the games are ready. Given the average timeframe it takes to make a decent 10-hour game, hopefully we might actually see something om them soon :pray:.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Good luck to valve on finishing three things

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Good luck to valve on finishing three things

Well we're still barely onto the second controller and first headset, so VR hardware's safe for a while! :pseudo:

On a side-note I reckon one of them's probably going to be a Portal game, either something new or a remake of either of the first two games, just as a general "safe" system-seller/pack-in. The general platforming and puzzle-solving would suit roomscale to a tee. Well maybe aside from the infinite vertical drops anyway.

The other two... Left for Dead 3/vr-enhanced remaster, and something Half-Life-y? They don't really have much in the way of creative talent still, do they?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I have 32 hours in Blade and Sorcery and I'm looking forward to another 60000

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Blade & Sorcery VR: removing the layers of abstraction between you and murder.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I see a lot of sword but where is the sorcery???

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bhodi posted:

I see a lot of sword but where is the sorcery???

There’s a lightning spell but that poo poo’s boring when you can hack off people’s heads. Also telekinesis which is pretty useful

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 26, 2019

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/25/18280855/htc-vive-focus-plus-standalone-vr-headset-controllers-pricing-release-date

$799 lmao HTC. Apparently focusing on the enterprise which is good given that price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Taintrunner posted:

There’s a lightning spell but that poo poo’s boring when you can hack off people’s heads. Also telekinesis which is pretty useful

so basically it's vr jedi knight 2, but with :black101: weapons? i knew someone would eventually make the perfect game, but i didn't think it'd happen already