Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Bongo Bill posted:

Final Fantasy 7 should be remastered, not remade.

Yes 100%. And by remastered, I want them to literally ONLY update the graphics. And even then I want them to say, keep the same proportions in the overworld as the blocky lego versions, but make them just look better.

I don't want voice acting or new writing. I'm not convinced they would do the characters justice voice wise and I think having them just be the text boxes is good enough. And I also don't want them to re-write stuff or do new dialogue, because I don't want them ruining changing Cloud or Aeris to be more like their post FF7 versions.

I'm very not optimistic for the remake if you can't tell. FF7 is one of my favorite games of all time, and I just don't have confidence in the remake at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

They can update the graphics and add some speed-up option, so w-summon kotr doesn't take 5 minutes.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

AlphaKeny1 posted:

They can update the graphics and add some speed-up option, so w-summon kotr doesn't take 5 minutes.

Sure I'd be down for them to add in speed up things and little quality of life stuff like that.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

bull3964 posted:

Reminder that Nvidia never made a successor to the X1 and they exited the hand held market entirely and pivoted to car self driving systems and infotainment systems. It's unlikely that Nintendo would substitute a different ARM SoC in there since they are likely using a lot of Nvidia specific graphical optimizations. The X1 really isn't a candidate for a die shrink either since it's currently a 4 year old design that's not being actively developed anymore.

A "Pro" variant would likely just be one with a larger/better screen. A thicker footprint might also allow for a larger battery and better cooling that would allow it to run in docked performance mode while handheld.

There is more performance to be extracted out of the X1, but it's all about manipulating the power consumption and thermal envelop of the chip and there are likely hard limits what they could achieve in hand held mode without making it too unwieldy.

So, I see two "pro" options:

Larger 1080p screen (smaller bezels to keep the form factor approximately the same) with larger battery and better thermal management so you can run in docked performance mode all the time.

or

Something akin to a Shield TV console, allowing for better cooling and more power consumption so they can clock the chip higher. I would say that's unlikely though since it kinda ruins the whole "switch" aspect.

You say this as if AMD and Nvidia haven't made custom chips and architecture improvements specifically for consoles for decades at this point.

Also ignoring the X2 and the Orin SoC that they announced last year that's still in development

Ohtsam fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 26, 2019

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

The x2 is for ai in cars

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Yes 100%. And by remastered, I want them to literally ONLY update the graphics. And even then I want them to say, keep the same proportions in the overworld as the blocky lego versions, but make them just look better.

I don't want voice acting or new writing. I'm not convinced they would do the characters justice voice wise and I think having them just be the text boxes is good enough. And I also don't want them to re-write stuff or do new dialogue, because I don't want them ruining changing Cloud or Aeris to be more like their post FF7 versions.

I'm very not optimistic for the remake if you can't tell. FF7 is one of my favorite games of all time, and I just don't have confidence in the remake at all.

I'd be up for a fresh translation.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Schneider Heim posted:

Am I supposed to be concerned with the rumored new models if I'm a handheld-only person? If anything I'd like better performance handheld, but eh

No, don't concern yourself with "what ifs" and enjoy playing games on your Switch now. Don't think about "what if" until Nintendo announces concrete info about a new revision, then decide whether you would feel value in upgrading.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Bongo Bill posted:

I'd be up for a fresh translation.

This guy are sick.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

bushisms.txt posted:

The x2 is for ai in cars

It's still based off the pascal architecture in the gtx 10 series and a significant amount of the r&d work can be reused

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

re-translate ff7 with better localization and maybe voice acting, but keep her name "aeris".

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

bushisms.txt posted:

The x2 is for ai in cars

Sounds good, the Nintendo switch would be the perfect platform for AI — in cars, at a rooftop party, or anywhere else

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Ohtsam posted:

It's still based off the pascal architecture in the gtx 10 series and a significant amount of the r&d work can be reused

Wasn't the only reason the Switch doesn't use the X2 is that Nintendo would have had to delay the launch by 6-12 months?

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Mister Facetious posted:

Wasn't the only reason the Switch doesn't use the X2 is that Nintendo would have had to delay the launch by 6-12 months?

That and cost per unit most likely. The switch was not considered a sure thing by Nintendo at the time so making sure they'd still have a decent margin on what would sell was important.

More to the ai and car thing, Nvidia (nor AMD) doesn't generally super specialize their hardware unless they're working closely with a specific vendor. The tegra x2 is just an SoC with an ARM processor and a pascal based GPU. They have focused more on selling and marketing them for cars and ai since their android business didn't take off like they wanted but the product pipeline for new chip designs is measured in years and they couldn't just dump it. They're also being used in magic leap one ar headset.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ohtsam posted:

It's a remote possibility, but not likely since it's based off of Denver 2 main cores and Denver was a complete and utter disaster (cough, nexus 10, cough) until it was reworked for Xavier.

Ohtsam posted:

You say this as if AMD and Nvidia haven't made custom chips and architecture improvements specifically for consoles for decades at this point.

Also ignoring the X2 and the Orin SoC that they announced last year that's still in development

X2 never went anywhere, likely due to Denver and Orin is another Drive/AI chipset which means it will have a higher TDP like Xavier since performance is going to be more important than power draw in car applications. X2 is also a 2+4 system rather than a 4+4 system so the scheduler would have to be tweaked and re-optimized to ensure all existing software worked properly in that different type of configuration.

Yes, AMD and Nvidia have made partial custom solutions before (the X1 in the current switch is a bit customized from the one in the Shield), but there's only so much you can tweak with an old design and Nvidia isn't going to tape out a completely new chipset for Nintendo at this point, it would likely make the console too expensive.

Thermals and power tweaks, that's about all we can reasonably expect at this point. Stranger things have happened, but we have to ask what the goal is here. The switch is already a dual performance profile system, adding a 3rd is going to introduce more complexity into the system while still being far less powered than the other two consoles. The more likely goal is to simply hit docked performance in handheld mode and that's probably achievable with the X1 in a larger chassis.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Mar 26, 2019

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

AlphaKeny1 posted:

This is why I am so happy with the speed up option that was on FF9. So when Dagger does her limit break and Ark summons four times in a row, it doesn't take a afternoon to play.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Macaluso posted:

And I also don't want them to re-write stuff or do new dialogue, because I don't want them ruining changing Cloud or Aeris to be more like their post FF7 versions.

you're not wrong but also the current ENG script for FF7 is straight up terrible

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
I watched Elentor's LP and the discussion was the only reason 7 was bearable to look at in the present. same thing with Dark Id's Xenogears and ScurvyKip's Xenosaga, the gameplay and scripts really do need some work now that literal translations are badly out of style

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

creationist believer posted:

No, don't concern yourself with "what ifs" and enjoy playing games on your Switch now. Don't think about "what if" until Nintendo announces concrete info about a new revision, then decide whether you would feel value in upgrading.

Thanks. Worst case scenario I could just sell mine, but only after the revision hits shelves and the reviews are good.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

sponges posted:

why are PC gamers so obnoxious

Nobody invites them to sweet Switch rooftop parties. I'd be mad too.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

sponges posted:

why are PC gamers so obnoxious

What is a man who can't smash? A miserable pile of gaming mice

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Schneider Heim posted:

Thanks. Worst case scenario I could just sell mine, but only after the revision hits shelves and the reviews are good.

And if you have a Switch from the first year before they fixed the really easy way to run unsigned software for homebrew/piracy/mods/emulation, it might sell for more in the future if the new hardware is more difficult to crack.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Rirse posted:

This is why I am so happy with the speed up option that was on FF9. So when Dagger does her limit break and Ark summons four times in a row, it doesn't take a afternoon to play.

I thought there was a speedup option for FF7 PS4 or is that only for the overworld?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

night slime posted:

I thought there was a speedup option for FF7 PS4 or is that only for the overworld?

the speedup has only been added recently, but if you played the pc re-release any time after like 2016 then it's been there. there's no reason the switch version shouldn't have it

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
My switch will never be obsolete because it has that gpu vulnerability. I'm not sad I bought it I love the thing.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://twitter.com/WayForward/status/1110323020277661696

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

the speedup has only been added recently, but if you played the pc re-release any time after like 2016 then it's been there. there's no reason the switch version shouldn't have it

I just downloaded ff7 switch. It has a x3 speedup option with left click. That's really cool and will really help with bahamut and kotr.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Yay more Shantae!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Looks like, if that pic means anything, they're going for a new art style.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah her hair is now 5

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It looks the same as Pirates Curse rather then Half-Genie Hero, but yeah, usually a game's sequel is going to have all new official art, which has no bearing on how the game is depicted.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Bleck posted:

you're not wrong but also the current ENG script for FF7 is straight up terrible

Wrong bitch

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

bull3964 posted:

[...] The more likely goal is to simply hit docked performance in handheld mode and that's probably achievable with the X1 in a larger chassis.

Yeah, this seems like the only clear path for a "Switch Pro" right now.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Bleck posted:

It’s terrible in a weirdly sincere and and endearing manner, as opposed to the just plain boring terrible that is most RPG writing, so no it’s fine as is

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It owns that we can now play the 4th best Final Fantasy on the perfect console: The Nintendo Switch

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It owns that we can now play the 4th best Final Fantasy on the perfect console: The Nintendo Switch

Don't worry mate, Crystal Chronicles is coming up

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Launch trailer for The Princess Guide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iX1AmaK41Y

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wheeee posted:

It’s terrible in a weirdly sincere and and endearing manner, as opposed to the just plain boring terrible that is most RPG writing, so no it’s fine as is

As I recall in addition to general lack of clarity there is one typo at least that indicates the wrong speaker of a fairly important sentence making the plot more difficult to parse than it already is.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Zuzie posted:

It looks the same as Pirates Curse rather then Half-Genie Hero, but yeah, usually a game's sequel is going to have all new official art, which has no bearing on how the game is depicted.

I haven't had a chance to flip through it yet but the physical edition of West of Loathing comes with an art booklet.

Which I find absolutely fantastic given that it's a 2-bit stick-figure game.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

AlphaKeny1 posted:

re-translate ff7 with better localization and maybe voice acting, but keep her name "aeris".

This.

"Aerith" just makes it sound like whoever is saying her name has a lisp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Sephiross