Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

people posted:

:words: about IT relics
People moving their workstation every so often, causing the vampire taps for the 10BASE5 network to chew up the cable, meaning the cable needs to be replaced on a regular basis has caused a fair few gray hairs for me.

people posted:

:words: about Dilbert
I was always much more partial to the BOFH stories as a form of light entertainment. Considering they were only meant to stave off boredom while Simon was working at Waikato, it's a wonder they've lasted as long as they have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

lmbo, i'd forgotten about scott adams' belief that alicia keys drained his testosterone.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

This is really the only good Dilbert

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Weedle posted:

This is really the only good Dilbert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPazyimiJx4

DrBrezo
May 13, 2009

Got the weirdest request from Finance

they have a huge mailbox used for travel coordination (we have a very mobile staff) and in that inbox are subfolders by year , then location then month, then week......then PO number (!!!!) so naturally this makes searching for things a drag. And performance sucks.

The OWA option was shot down as they think they can have backup and data retention with a copy of the mailbox stored on a VM hosted in the building, the issue being if they need to rapidly look up a series of PO numbers or other details they can get an intern to login to the box and pull all the long term records.

The cherry on this cake is they'd like a tool that wasn't outlook based to search the PST (Im suggesting PST- they wanted the mailbox structure translated into explorer folder structure with MSGs as the files) . Does this even exist cos I cant get poo poo online except for a free PST Explorer which I don't think can cut it

Can anyone steer me in the right direction? Is anyone out there wasting time coding this kind of poo poo?

FRIDAYS.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

DrBrezo posted:

Got the weirdest request from Finance

they have a huge mailbox used for travel coordination (we have a very mobile staff) and in that inbox are subfolders by year , then location then month, then week......then PO number (!!!!) so naturally this makes searching for things a drag. And performance sucks.

The OWA option was shot down as they think they can have backup and data retention with a copy of the mailbox stored on a VM hosted in the building, the issue being if they need to rapidly look up a series of PO numbers or other details they can get an intern to login to the box and pull all the long term records.

The cherry on this cake is they'd like a tool that wasn't outlook based to search the PST (Im suggesting PST- they wanted the mailbox structure translated into explorer folder structure with MSGs as the files) . Does this even exist cos I cant get poo poo online except for a free PST Explorer which I don't think can cut it

Can anyone steer me in the right direction? Is anyone out there wasting time coding this kind of poo poo?

FRIDAYS.

Powershell, my dude

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/exchange/mailboxes/new-mailboxexportrequest?view=exchange-ps

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
At least Scott Adams had the decency to give us a rough dividing line between old Dilbert and blatantly using his comic as a mouthpiece for his diatribes with the change from the classic shirt and striped tie to the red shirt.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Neddy Seagoon posted:

At least Scott Adams had the decency to give us a rough dividing line between old Dilbert and blatantly using his comic as a mouthpiece for his diatribes with the change from the classic shirt and striped tie to the red shirt.

Honestly I'd place it at when he dropped the email address to submit office stories from the panel margins, which was a bit before then. Since that marked when he no longer thought he needed all the real life office stories the strip was built on.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

fishmech posted:

Honestly I'd place it at when he dropped the email address to submit office stories from the panel margins, which was a bit before then. Since that marked when he no longer thought he needed all the real life office stories the strip was built on.

Oh I don't doubt it probably started before then, but it's a nice easy visual indicator.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

My first IT job was installing Windows 3.11 on every computer in my dad's classrooms. He handed me a stack of floppies that seemed like it was a foot tall, and said, "Put disk 1 in the first computer and follow the directions. When it's done, take it out, and move it to the next computer. The put disk 2 in. Do that all the way down the line." The line being 30 computers per classroom, across two rooms.

No cocaine was involved, nor was there a mullet, but I was an 8 year old girl with tragic, "my hairdresser IS a former rodeo queen, why do you ask?" hair. There may have been Mountain Dew, however, and that's basically cocaine to a pre-teen.

Hell, that's cocaine to anybody. Sugar + water is incredibly addictive.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Eikre posted:

Scene: EIKRE and ABSENTEE SUPERVISOR sit in office at 9:00 in the morning. ABSENTEE SUPERVISOR is on a call with C-LEVEL WITH WHOM EIKRE HAS A POSITIVE RELATIONSHIP, which was in progress since before EIKRE arrived. The office is absolutely silent except for the telephone conversation, which resounds with perfect clarity immediately next to EIKRE's loving face as he sits at his own goddamned desk, and not in, for example, one of the three other empty rooms in the suite that have closing doors.

C-LEVEL [jovial tone]: "Blah blah blah. Do us a favor and bitch-slap EIKRE!"

ABSENTEE SUPERVISOR: "Ho-kay, boss! Will do!" ABSENTEE SUPERVISOR hangs up.

EIKRE swivels in chair, with few clues as to why he is slated for bitch-slapping, but gesturing to his cheek and leaning forward in submission.

EIKRE: "Alright, put it right here, we can start the day right by immediately completing a task."

ABSENTEE SUPERVISOR: "Why are you eavesdropping on my calls? There is a real problem with your professional conduct."

EIKRE: "I mean I wasn't, but then I was specifically mentioned by name."

ABSENTEE SUPERVISOR: "Maybe if I was on a speakerphone then you could find a polite way to ask me about something you heard, but I was not, and this was extremely rude. You shouldn't have said anything."

Oh, of course, my bad. That wasn't a joke that I could get in on to certify it as perfectly inoffensive and maybe use as the segue to rectify some underlying grievance, if indeed it existed. It was actually an invocation of vulgarity and an explicit directive (via communique on corporate equipment between upper and middle management) to conduct a physical assault on me, simultaneously uttered behind my back and brazenly right in front of me, but for which I will be rebuked for addressing. Looking at this through the lens of "professionalism" really put it all in perspective, boss; in the future, I'll strain to comport myself with such mindfulness. I hope you can forgive me for poising such a hostile workplace, what with my eavesdropping and all.

Do you have access to nuclear weapons?

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
A ticket came in: We'd like to virtualize this one really memory and processor hungry app 225 times.

:aaa:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DigitalMocking posted:

A ticket came in: We'd like to virtualize this one really memory and processor hungry app 225 times.

But why?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Throw it in the cloud, that's what it's there for!

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

iospace posted:

But why?

The reason is valid.

We run dynamics AX 2012R2 for our ERP. It's *incredibly* sensitive to latency and maintaining 220 end user client versions has been a nightmare.

I totally support the project, but the ignorance of what something like that will cost just makes me grouchy.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

DigitalMocking posted:

Sure, just put it in AWS! :v:

...hope you've got a fat budget to play with.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Sure, just put it in AWS! :v:

...hope you've got a fat budget to play with.

:lol:

I know the answer is nope. It's going to be a "Just make it work" situation.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

DigitalMocking posted:

The reason is valid.

We run dynamics AX 2012R2 for our ERP. It's *incredibly* sensitive to latency and maintaining 220 end user client versions has been a nightmare.

We looked at AX and their best implementation solution was "have everyone remote desktop directly into the server instance it's running". loving lmao.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

DigitalMocking posted:

The reason is valid.

I totally support the project, but the ignorance of what something like that will cost just makes me grouchy.

Sounds like its time to dump a million bucks into VDI.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

kensei posted:

I know the answer is nope. It's going to be a "Just make it work" situation.

"Not technically feasible with the given budget. If you think I'm lying fire me and hire someone you trust."

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

incoherent posted:

We looked at AX and their best implementation solution was "have everyone remote desktop directly into the server instance it's running". loving lmao.

That's what we did with MS Dynamics GP at one job. Then the most recent job we had the ERP cloud hosted and everyone just used a web GUI. Except a few people who needed a different version, they used Citrix.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Windows Virtual Desktop has launched into public preview and it actually looks quite impressive. That's going to be my life next week I think.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

fishmech posted:

Love the early internet days. I remember emailing Tom Tomorrow who does that syndicated strip and him actually emailing back.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Thanks Ants posted:

Windows Virtual Desktop has launched into public preview and it actually looks quite impressive. That's going to be my life next week I think.

Agreed, it's looking loving baller. I'm thinking of, well, rethinking how I provide desktop availability in outages.

Not having used Dynamics before D356, was there no way to move to the m365 option from past installations? Or was it hyper clunky to do so, like moving from SP Server to SharePoint online?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

Not having used Dynamics before D356, was there no way to move to the m365 option from past installations? Or was it hyper clunky to do so, like moving from SP Server to SharePoint online?

We exported all of our tables to csv, handed them to a consultant, then a month later they were in D365.

Super easy.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

I was rummaging through my shared drive and stumbled on to a couple old gems from tier-1 I had stored away because they make me smile, and it's probably been long enough that I can share them without worrying about identifying garbage.

A ticket came in. Guy tries to back up his win7 machine before everything gets imaged to 10, is surprised to discover the harddrive is full and there's a giant nested structure of PC Name/Backup/PC Name/Backup... folders on the desktop.

quote:

It was discovered that the customer attempted to backup his Desktop onto the Desktop of the same computer he was backing up. As the backup utility performed a backup of the customer's Desktop, the backup utility was also attempting to backup newly transferred data. Essentially the utility was attempting to backup itself. This scenario essentially caused a perpetual backup loop that eventual filled the customer's hard drive with multiple redundant backups of the customer's Desktop.

I still think about that every time I hear this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVB_DI4ajKA

And my personal favorite:

A ticket came in. "User who is teleworking today stated that she was working in a Word document when suddenly, what looked like a bug was moving around her screen. She said it looks like a gnat.
She stated that it doesn't matter what she's in, the bug stays there, moving around.
I had the user shut down her computer and unplug it."

Of course, this got sent to the Malware team, because why not. They punted it over to the computer touchers where it belongs, and lo and behold.

quote:

I took a look at a video of the bug that user took and it looked like a real bug that was in the screen. User left a message for me at the end of the day and indicated that she tapped the screen and a real bug fell out of the screen. Therefore, I'm closing out this ticket as resolved since it was a small bug within the screen. Attaching the video. Closing ticket.

I still have the video, naturally.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Job posting:

quote:

Knowledge/Skills/Abilities:
Comprehensive understanding of Cisco IOS configuration, Ethernet and Token Rink, TCP/IP and IPX, Windows 95, NT, 2000, and Unix, Architecture and configuration within management platforms, RIP, OSPF, EIGRP, GBP and Static Routes, TI/Private Line, Frame Relay, ISDN, and ATM.

Sign me up for supporting 1990's technology, today!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does it actually say rink?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

gently caress ya boys, we're gonna support archaic telecoms infrastructure over all these hosers

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Heck yeah an after-hours text from my boss with some bad news about the likelihood a new hire will be leaving us and then another that says "please don't quit"

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

suuma posted:

Heck yeah an after-hours text from my boss with some bad news about the likelihood a new hire will be leaving us and then another that says "please don't quit"

"Well, I've always wanted some work from home benefits, any way we can make that happen?"

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

suuma posted:

Tell them "well, about that raise..."

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Thanks Ants posted:

Yes that’s directly from the posting.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Bigass Moth posted:

Job posting:

This is literally my resume from ‘97 or so. Frame Relay was the poo poo and drove so much of my infrastructure until metro fiber became a thing.

But I used token ring not token rink. I wonder if token rink was an attempt to improve on collision domains?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

Job posting:

Sign me up for supporting 1990's technology, today!

Please link this so I can send it to people with evidence it's from 2019.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

mehall posted:

Please link this so I can send it to people with evidence it's from 2019.

Bonus points, it's in health care so you get all the joys of that thrown in with the decaying network infrastructure!

https://jobs.kindredhealthcare.com/job/-/-/653/11152213?src=JB-10686

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

"Well, I've always wanted some work from home benefits, any way we can make that happen?"

The problem with this is that I manage 9 direct reports so I have to be in the office :v:

We've outsold our staff considerably and it takes 2-3 months to get a new hire to actually be useful, I'm burning out quick and I'm not sure how we're going to do all this.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Bigass Moth posted:

Bonus points, it's in health care so you get all the joys of that thrown in with the decaying network infrastructure!

https://jobs.kindredhealthcare.com/job/-/-/653/11152213?src=JB-10686

IPX, Token Ring, and Frame Relay? I think you're supposed to yell "Bingo!" at some point here.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Never a bad time for a BNC sculpture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
What are the odds of their "ethernet" being 10base2 rather than any standard created in the last 30 years?