Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

homeless guy
Feb 23, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Krusty is one of the things they've been the most inconsistent with, on a show that always was very full of inconsistencies. Sometimes Krusty's show is for young children, other times it's some sort of prime time showcase for all ages. Sometimes Krusty is only a regional celebrity that can mostly blend in with the public, other times he's a big name international star with a huge brand to his name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERVUJvr_qwo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
gently caress how old is Krusty now

How old is Ned now??

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Ned is 60, Krusty is 52

My Linux Rig posted:

What was your favorite episode from the last season

"Homer is Where the Art Isn't", which is an 80's detective procedural called "Manachek" where Homer becomes the main suspect for a PI investigating an art heist.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
He was 60 20 years ago he 80 now!!

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Please tell me this is altered and not an actual thing from the hit 90s TV show The Simpsons.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Wirth1000 posted:

Please tell me this is altered and not an actual thing from the hit 90s TV show The Simpsons.
Not only is it real, that clip will turn 20 next February.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
It was and still is hilarious, between neds giant dick and Homer filming him in n the shower for a dating video it's too funny

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/Joshstrangehill/status/1110286917138944000

Posted this in the meme thread earlier by mistake.

Weird poo poo, a couple of half decent lines and I think we can all agree Australia should be destroyed.

Any Aus goons ever go to Fox Studios? I seem to vaguely remember it existing.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Weird the CC called Tobias by Julius. Was that supposed to be his actual name?

Also Tobias memes are grade a.

fdjkbnadjnbkjldaf
Mar 2, 2016
I remember being a kid and loving the Simpsons and then seeing the Mark Hopus episode with blink 182, and being inexplicably angry. I was 12 then. that was for sure the worst episode up until then and the Simpsons has been downhill ever since. I see people claim the new york episode was bad, but imo in the end with garbage slamming into Homer's face that poo poo was hilarious.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
My "turning point" episode when the show soured for me was the one where Homer was a missionary, though looking back it was actually really good compared to modern episodes.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
For me it was The Prisoner.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Atlas Hugged posted:

For me it was The Prisoner.

I didn't hate that one. Largely because I'm a big fan of The Prisoner and appreciated the Patrick McGoohan cameo.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
the one with kim basinger and alec baldwin was my last straw. so self-indulgent

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Applewhite posted:

I didn't hate that one. Largely because I'm a big fan of The Prisoner and appreciated the Patrick McGoohan cameo.

Same.

"If I know me, he won't like being kicked in the crotch!"

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

super sweet best pal posted:

Same.

"If I know me, he won't like being kicked in the crotch!"

"I am a... new tie wearingk"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Applewhite posted:

My "turning point" episode when the show soured for me was the one where Homer was a missionary, though looking back it was actually really good compared to modern episodes.

For me it was the one where they go to Africa. It was funny the first time I watched it, then they started doing their scheduling trickery so it seemed like it was on once a month. Then, the local syndication caught up with the current season and a couple weeks later it was on again, followed by the summer reruns :suicide:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Applewhite posted:

I knew nothing about The Prisoner at the time and was just left asking myself, "What the hell did I just watch?" A classmate had a dad into classic TV and explained to me what it was about so I guess I appreciate the experimental nature of the episode.

Since then, it's grown on me like a Puddle of Mudd album left in your car by a friend that you keep listening to because you never remember to bring out another CD.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Krusty is one of the things they've been the most inconsistent with, on a show that always was very full of inconsistencies. Sometimes Krusty's show is for young children, other times it's some sort of prime time showcase for all ages. Sometimes Krusty is only a regional celebrity that can mostly blend in with the public, other times he's a big name international star with a huge brand to his name.

There’s an episode where he opens either his 500th or 1000th Krusty Burger, but in any case Krusty just doesn’t make any sense.

No where in human history has a daytime cable access clown show ever topped ratings, and if Krusty were a national show he’d have to produce it from NYC or LA. He lives in a mansion with a private plane and Itchy & Scratchy, which seemingly Krusty exists as the soul gatekeeper or despite it being owned and operated by a giant corporation with their own private Island amusement park.

Like a subsidiary cartoon on this cable access clown shoe has private island Disney money but the live studio audience is barely 50 people?

I know I’m sounding like Comic Book Guy but I never applied brain power to The Simpson’s before and I’m just now realizing that nothing about Krusty or Itchy & Scratchy make any sense (unless Krusty is a stand in for Tracy Ulman, then it starts to work)

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 26, 2019

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

There’s an episode where he opens either his 500th or 1000th Krusty Burger, but in any case Krusty just doesn’t make any sense.

No where in human history has a daytime cable access clown show ever topped ratings, and if Krusty were a national show he’d have to produce it from NYC or LA. He lives in a mansion with a private plane and Itchy & Scratchy, which seemingly Krusty exists as the soul gatekeeper or despite it being owned and operated by a giant corporation with their own private Island amusement park.

Like a subsidiary cartoon on this cable access clown shoe has private island Disney money but the live studio audience is barely 50 people?

I know I’m sounding like Comic Book Guy but I never applied brain power to The Simpson’s before and I’m just not realizing that nothing about Krusty or Itchy & Scratchy make any sense (unless Krusty is a stand in for Tracy Ulman, then it starts to work)

Krusty is a tv clown on a cartoon show.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Who doesn't need to wear makeup to look like a clown except that one time in his first appearance when he did

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Ned's big yellow swinging dong, besides being an excellent band name, is hilarious precisely because they hadn't quite delved into that kind of quasi- Family Guy shock humor that it's infested with today. Throw it in with the current gen episode and I'm right there groaning with you.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Bust Rodd posted:

No where in human history has a daytime cable access clown show ever topped ratings, and if Krusty were a national show he’d have to produce it from NYC or LA. He lives in a mansion with a private plane

:thejoke:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Krusty represents showbiz personalities in general, and his exact circumstances will flex to fit the storyline he's required in. It's similar to how you can't really pin down how rich the Simpsons are meant to be.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
He's a TV clown because Groening was a fan of a TV clown called Rusty Nails.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Bust Rodd posted:

I know I’m sounding like Comic Book Guy but I never applied brain power to The Simpson’s before and I’m just now realizing that nothing about Krusty or Itchy & Scratchy make any sense (unless Krusty is a stand in for Tracy Ulman, then it starts to work)

I like stories.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Yesterday at work I overheard some people talking in the break room. I didn’t catch everything, but they were talking about sunday’s episode. One of them said something along the lines of “Simpsons is like Family Guy, it’s not amazing but it’s good to leave on in the background, and you’ll probably get a good laugh or two.”

So that’s the answer to “who is still even watching?” - people who just want background noise and remember the show from their childhood as being funny.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Krusty represents showbiz personalities in general, and his exact circumstances will flex to fit the storyline he's required in. It's similar to how you can't really pin down how rich the Simpsons are meant to be.

Krusty also represents the local celebrity. Everywhere has someone, even if they make no sense whatsoever. Krusty Burger represents a local food chain, it just happens to be tied into the local celebrity.

Razorwired posted:

He's a TV clown because Groening was a fan of a TV clown called Rusty Nails.

TV clowns were really prevalent at one point, it seems like every market had one locally. I know I did in the late 80's and early 90's, it was basically exactly the way that Krusty's show is portrayed, except Itchy and Scratchy was always something like Wacky Races. Krusty's show was something that was ubiquitous once, I suspect that Gabbo was also at some point.

CodfishCartographer posted:

So that’s the answer to “who is still even watching?” - people who just want background noise and remember the show from their childhood as being funny.

That's what sub-channels are for, need some background noise for an hour or so, MeTV's got Mama's Family and The Jeffersons back to back!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Simpsons is to a modern audience what TV clown shows were to Matt Groening

ashrum3
Feb 16, 2019
cross ep with family guy homer and peter become friends

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ashrum3 posted:

cross ep with family guy homer and peter become friends

forgot about htis one. maybe never seen it. might torture myself with it later

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
the only good part about the crossover was how often family guy references it as a huge mistake in later seasons

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The cringiest part is where they have the argument with their "beer" (comedy) being the same and that it provides the livelihood for their "towns" (shows) and "families" (employees) and how both can exist.

Then you look up that the simpsons voice actors are being paid 300K an episode and you quickly stop caring about their "livelihoods"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Krusty's been inconsistent since the start, but the inconsistencies piled up even higher when they lost Troy McClure and the Krusty character had to carry an even wider array of showbiz tropes.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Krusty’s delivery of “let’s just say it moved me... INTO A BIGGER HOUSE!” *oh crap I said the loud part quiet and the quiet part loud* is only eclipsed by Krusty lighting a cigarette off of a burning pearl necklace.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Everything is shaded with consistent light sources but the characters themselves and it looks supremely ugly. Like either go all the way or don't, you can't have it both ways

I mentioned this way back but super agreed. There's like nothing for the action to pop out against because everything is just the same color intensity (I don't know a better word).

Watched the Megan Amram episode and it's still bad. It's a hot take on gender-flipping characters. The topical jokes are as predictable as you'd expect, and it has that preaching episode problem of everybody kind of having the voice of the takes whether it fits their character or not. There's even a Tosh.0 (except it's Josh.0) parody because that show is just super hot right now where "Josh" comments over a Moleman death involving him getting hit by a car with more blood than I'm used to outside of a Treehouse episode. The voice actors sound worse than ever, with Bart struggling to maintain his pitch. Most of the dialogue are people either spewing strawman anti-swapping cliches (with a few on the other side), or other characters saying The Good Opinions on the subject. It's bad but not worse than any other episode.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 26, 2019

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
the actual first time when I was younger that I thought this isn't the same Simpsons was this
https://youtu.be/eVlolU8pCeM

Nonviolent J fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 27, 2019

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Plan Z posted:

a Moleman death involving him getting hit by a car with more blood than I'm used to outside of a Treehouse episode.

That was weird. He usually gets killed without blood.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Plan Z posted:

Watched the Megan Amram episode and it's still bad. It's a hot take on gender-flipping characters. The topical jokes are as predictable as you'd expect, and it has that preaching episode problem of everybody kind of having the voice of the takes whether it fits their character or not. There's even a Tosh.0 (except it's Josh.0) parody because that show is just super hot right now where "Josh" comments over a Moleman death involving him getting hit by a car with more blood than I'm used to outside of a Treehouse episode. The voice actors sound worse than ever, with Bart struggling to maintain his pitch. Most of the dialogue are people either spewing strawman anti-swapping cliches (with a few on the other side), or other characters saying The Good Opinions on the subject. It's bad but not worse than any other episode.

That seven year old reference to Pussy Riot though, MAN that was good!
If this is what passes as just 'bad but', yikes :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Iron Crowned posted:

Krusty also represents the local celebrity. Everywhere has someone, even if they make no sense whatsoever.

This reminds me, what's the general opinion on the episode where Homer becomes a local celebrity after bowling a perfect game? I think it was season 11 or 12, but I remember loving it when I was a teen. I haven't seen it in years though so I don't know how it holds up.

Unless I'm mixing it up with another episode, it has the "Spare me your gutter mouth!" exchange, as well as "Not Lenny!!!", which I find myself quoting even to this day.