Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
I'm telling you, my "Big Dick Lich" erotic genre is going to be the next Twilight! Don't stifle my dreams!

edit: what a big-dicked snipe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Ban Anime and Video Games Now!

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Also like literally a couple hundred million people play video games in America alone, so way to look down upon much of the US population. :laugh:

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Also like literally a couple hundred million people play video games in America alone, so way to look down upon much of the US population. :laugh:

Have you seen who our president is?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Dazerbeams posted:

Have you seen who our president is?

True, but way more people play video games than voted for our dumbass president.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Mar 26, 2019

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

way to look down upon much of the US population. :laugh:

God forbid that ever happens on SA

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

A person who looks down on video games probably also simultaneously holds some kind of elitist “Candy Crush and FarmVille aren’t real games” opinion

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

99% chance that what she’s actually doing is “erotic roleplay where everyone’s character is a famous actor, but with a dog dick, and they all impregnate each other.”

1% chance of “the same, but with Sonic OCs”

Don't forget they all have to sparkle in the sunlight

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Mom (F49) posted screenshots of dads (M55) dating site profile to family chat
u/sarahhh11

I just woke up and opened WhatsApp. New message in family chat. ’Screenshots of dads dating profile site. Last log in 3 hours ago. Profile made 2017.’ drat. I took that profile photo of him. Does he want a new family or wtf is he after??

I’m heartbroken, but I feel so bad for my dad. I’ve always been his little princess, but my three other siblings (all over 18) have literally hated dad for the past x years. The main reason for this, has been my mom. She is really manipulative and means towards dad, although they’ve been together for over 27 yrs. Everytime dad has done something that mom doesn’t like, she would really make sure the whole family would be against dad. No wonder my siblings are all messed up in their head mentally... But yeah, during this year abroad (have not seen parents in a year) I really thought things had been going to a better direction... Parents have posted so many loving pictures online etc. and travelled together.

I don’t know what to do/say/think about this. I want to be so angry at my dad for tearing the family apart and making me scared of relationships. But at the same time, I want to be so angry at my mom for embarrassing dad again in front of everyone and making the whole drat family hate him even more.

How have your parents dealt with one of them cheating? How have you felt about it? Did your parents even tell you? What the hell should I comment on the family chat???? I just hate picking up sides.... :,,,,,,(

Pro tip to everyone: don’t make kids, when you’re not mentally ready. The kids will just end up being your psychologists.

TLDR: Dads profile of 2 years caught on dating site. Manipulative mom posted screenshots on family chat and wrote a bunch of hateful comments. I don’t know what to think about all this. Which side to choose?

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

God forbid that ever happens on SA

So are you gonna go into what you think a hobby is or what

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Blade Runner posted:

So are you gonna go into what you think a hobby is or what

I did exactly that on my first post. I think an essential part of what makes a hobby a hobby is developing skill in the hobby. Passive media consumption is not a hobby. “Watching anime” is not a hobby. Sports are a hobby. Any sort of craft is a hobby. Writing is a hobby. Is that enough so we can end the anime detail?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I did exactly that on my first post. I think an essential part of what makes a hobby a hobby is developing skill in the hobby. Passive media consumption is not a hobby. “Watching anime” is not a hobby. Sports are a hobby. Any sort of craft is a hobby. Writing is a hobby. Is that enough so we can end the anime detail?

So a hobby in your definition is something you’d do for a living if you could?

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

So collecting stamps or any other sort of collectible is not a hobby by your definition

This guy
Jul 29, 2007
YES
The only good way to use your time o. This earth is the way I've decided I like to spend my time weird coincidence

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

So anyone paralyzed from the neck down can get hosed huh?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Blade Runner posted:

So collecting stamps or any other sort of collectible is not a hobby by your definition

Learning about how to obtain, catalog and maintain whatever you’re collecting is an active activity and a hobby.

Watching anime is not.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Learning about how to obtain, catalog and maintain whatever you’re collecting is an active activity and a hobby.

Watching anime is not.

Let me show you my collection of rare DBZ fansubs bitch

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

duck trucker posted:

Usually anime paralyzes you from the neck up

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Didn’t say it was a worthwhile hobby.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

duck trucker posted:

They already did

Now, you don't have to define what a hobby is or defend how you pass the time to know that anime is bad, jfc people

tactlessbastard fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 26, 2019

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

duck trucker posted:

Apparently I didn’t get the memo that disabled people can do nothing besides watch anime all day.

Yes, clearly that’s a perfectly fair characterization of what I said.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Anime is only a passive hobby if you don't rearrange your wall scrolls and collectibles after each new season of your favorite anime.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Does Hobby Lobby sell anime or video games??

*mic drop*

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Watching anime is not.

What exactly is the difference between cataloguing stamps and cataloguing Star Wars toys, or Star Trek episodes, or whatever

Is it the physical quantity that you're dealing with

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
r/AmItheAsshole
AITA for flipping out at my girlfriend when she questioned my bodybuilding?
u/S3xb3ard

quote:

Feeling bad about a recent fight I had with my girlfriend. She began to question my interest in bodybuilding, and expressed concern that my hobby is becoming unhealthy and that it seems to relate to a need for constant validation.

For a clearer picture, I train for about 2h 3 days per week and try to eat a generally healthy and high protein diet (3 meals a day, I don’t track what I eat or anything). I supplement mostly for general health, though I have taken some bodybuilding drugs (not steroids). I’m not a heavy drug user and don’t have much of a desire to continue using them. She freely acknowledges that the drugs haven’t affected my personality or our relationship in any way. My general health is quite good, aside from my joints being pretty shot from years of training for strength. I’m about the size of a fairly decent physique competitor and have no desire to get any bigger.

Anyway, I got pretty upset at her and kind of lost my poo poo. I flipped out pretty bad and said some hurtful things, including threatening to take my kid (from a previous relationship) away. You see, I had a substance problem (mostly booze) when I was younger. Bodybuilding is what saved me. I’m scared of going back to that because of how insidious it snuck up on me. I didn’t even realize I was drinking a 6 pack or more every single day. I didn’t think that we didn’t have enough money for food because I was drinking it all away. I don’t remember much of the first year of my firstborn’s life because I was so hosed up all the time.

Now, I’m a reasonably successful professional and have a much better relationship with the family. Everyone thought I would end up on welfare, but I turned my life around. Sure, what I substituted it with may not be ideal, but it’s a trade I’m willing to live with.

I flipped out because I was scared of what I thought she was pushing me towards, scared at the possibility of returning to that life. It scares me so much because of how it creeps up on you. Losing control is a gradual process that you can’t see until it’s too late and has already hosed your life up. We’ve since mended things and understand each other’s perspectives better, but I still feel bad for overreacting. What’s your verdict, AITA?

TL;DR: got into bad fight with girlfriend because she was concerned my bodybuilding hobby is excessive. I flipped out at her because bodybuilding is a major factor in controlling my substance problems (predominantly alcohol), and I’m deathly afraid of losing control to alcohol again. We talked and are all good, but I still feel bad about it.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Blade Runner posted:

What exactly is the difference between cataloguing stamps and cataloguing Star Wars toys, or Star Trek episodes, or whatever

Is it the physical quantity that you're dealing with

The difference is goons pretend to be ironic hipsters who look down upon nerds while being huge nerds themselves.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

I'm fine saying that watching anime/superhero media is a bad, dumb hobby and you shouldn't make that your defining personality trait. I don't think anyone is going to disagree with that.

But going all "that's not a hobby at all you suck oval office" is a dumb pointless argument that has nothing but holes in it. What about someone who likes watching baseball at home?

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
My hobby is haughtily judging what others so feebly consider to be their hobbies and informing them I do not consider those activities to be hobbies for reasons only I understand or care about

Also I then post about it tirelessly, like a person incapable of reading social cues

Dick Valentine
Nov 4, 2009

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Didn’t say it was a worthwhile hobby.

So your personal definition of what is worthwhile is ultimately what matters here. Consider that your opinion is just that, yours, and is probably based on some kind of personal insecurity. Most mature and self-assured people don't really care that much what other people do in their free time as long as it is enjoyable and consensual.

Also consider that a lot of people don't just mindlessly consume passive media, it's discussed and shared and thought about. I mean, you've got several sub-forums here filled with hundreds of posters all talking and discussing media. Anime, books, comics, movies, games, music, politics, history. People enjoy consuming, thinking about, and discussing these things.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Dick Valentine posted:

People who are pedantic over what is a hobby are entirely doing it out of self-aggrandizement. It's an easy way to make yourself feel better than other people. "What I do matters and is important and meaningful unlike these pathetic losers."

Also, everyone making statements like this most likely has some sort of incredibly embarrassing (although probably ultimately harmless) hobby and theyre wracked by insecurity so they just go after easy targets.

Using the same principal this also means that about half of the men who post poo poo like ":sever: then :murder: for good measure. Oh and maybe :murder: again :coalcelecanth: :smugbird:" are probably literally rapists IRL.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

AITA - Parents gave ultimatum about not inviting brother to graduation

quote:

u/Throwaway77766555
Small bit of backstory: I'm the youngest of 3, older brothers +10 and +13 years older than me, and I'll be the first in our family to graduate with a Bachelor's. I did a lot of things backwards in life, pregnant at 16, graduated HS from alt ed, which my parents didn't attend (work out of town), nursing school, and now returning to school for a career change. I'm now happily married with two kids. We settled in an area about 8 hours from where I grew up. My parents ended up moving to the same city as us (to be near grandkids), and my brother2 also lives here too. I have a great relationship with my parents, my mom and I talk almost daily and they've helped me so much with raising my oldest and helping financially here and there in the last 10 years.

My oldest brother (brother1) lives back home (8 hrs away) and is a massive republican - Alex Jones watching, qanon, rally going guy who I used to be close with but honestly have just grown apart with. We've had a few disagreements over the last couple of years and I just look at him in a different light. In my eyes, he's gone off the deep end and one of the tipping points was last summer - I sent my 11 year old to spend a few weeks with him over the summer and she came back and said he showed her Flat Earth YouTube videos, he wouldn't give me a straight answer on what other kind of poo poo he tried to show her but it was other conspiracy theory stuff.

My parents and brother2 are republicans as well, and that's ok. People can believe different things and still get along, we just have an understanding to not talk politics. But I just feel anxiety and unhappy when it comes to thinking about my brother1 visiting.

My graduation is coming up this May and I gave my parents a heads up as they're on a work assignment out of town. This graduation means so much to me because of my young pregnancy, I just feel like this is a massive milestone. My dad mentioned the other day that he let brother1 know about commencement and they were planning on coming up. I had planned on just not saying anything to them, they (brother1 and his wife) wouldn't know it was happening, wouldn't know they weren't invited. But now they're coming.

I know my mom misses him and it sucks he doesn't talk to her as often but she gets in a frenzy when he comes up here to visit. Oh brother1 is coming! Let's do a bunch of stuff to keep brother1 occupied! I think she thinks maybe if we make it fun enough, he'll move up here someday. Regardless, I don't want him at my commencement and had hoped for it to be just my parents and my husband and kids.

I let my mom know I had planned on not inviting brother1 and she got very upset. I told her I didn't mean to cause drama but I'd just be happier if it was just parents and my family. She said brother1 is my family and if I don't want him there, then I don't want my parents there because they are Trump supporters too.

I'm considering not walking now. Some things can't be unsaid. :(

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

CheesyDog posted:

Hobbies can be bad for you, like posting here
I post at work, ergo posting is a job.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
Each and every single person who posts on this forum is an other by 'society' standards, so trying smirk at nerds is pretty sad. Whatever floats your boat is fine, as long everything is consensual.

Shnag fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 26, 2019

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Xbox/PS4 aren't hobbies, but Switch is.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

*Giant loving jerking-off motion*

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
making awful, boring, banal posts that make everyone stupider for reading them is a hobby

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

waah posted:

Anime is only a passive hobby if you don't rearrange your wall scrolls and collectibles after each new season of your favorite anime. involve anime in your homework

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
we did this 3000 pages ago

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

Okay, Hobbies Should Be A Thing Where You Create Something That Did Not Exist Before, Or Accomplish A Thing Other Than Turning Plants Into Ash Or Liquid Into Piss Or Food Into Poop

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
r/legaladvice
(CA) My 15 year old daughter is pregnant and I don't want anything to do with it.
u/disappointedmom1003

quote:

I have two children. My daughter is off at college. The youngest is 15, turning 16 in May, and still lives with us and attends high school.

A week ago, she sat my husband and I down, and told us she was pregnant and that she was planning on keeping it. It took us both by surprise. We didn’t even know she had a boyfriend. Apparently, he isn’t even her boyfriend, just someone that she was “talking” to/ dating. Note, I always made importance of condom use and of birth control in my house. I told my children that when they were sexually active, they could come to me and ask for forms of birth control, no judgement.

I’m extremely against the idea. She has no income. Her “job” is to get straight A’s and maintain her room in a neat manner. She still follows her chore chart. I drive her to dance class. At least to me, she’s still a child. She’s not emotionally or financially ready for a kid.

For the past week I have tried to convince her that terminating, or at least putting the child up for adoption, is the best choice for someone in her situation. I have made her watch teen pregnancy shows, showed her statistics, showed her the cost of raising a child. She refuses to budge even with all this information. I think she has this dumbass believe that having this kid will anchor the guy who got her pregnant to her. I told her that won’t be the case, and that it’s real probable for him to drift away. I have told her that her lifestyle won't ever be the same. No dance class, no going out with friends, no shopping trips, no road trips with her sister during the summer. Going to college will be even harder.

With her deciding to carry on with the pregnancy, I have made some decisions myself too. I know I can’t force her to abort, or give her child up for adoption, but I am done raising small children. I have told myself from early age that I was only having two children and that’s it. I refused to baby proof my house. When the girls were old enough to not have everything be a death trap, I redid the whole house. I don’t want it riddled with baby locks, baby gates. I got the blessing from my daughter to turn his old room into an art room for myself. It’s stripped bare. Youngest daughter said that could be a nursery. No way. Though we are not struggling financially, I do not have the budget for a child. I have planned my life financially to be able to retire early and live comfortably. I do not want to hear a yelling baby at 4 in the morning. And as heartless as it may sound, I essentially want absolutely nothing to do with a baby for a long term period. Even if it’s my own grandchild. I made it very clear to my kids that if they decide to have children in the future, it will be their responsibility, and I will only step in during times of dire need.

With that being said. If my daughter decides to give birth and keep the baby, I do not want it staying here. I know I legally have to care for my daughter, but I do not want to house a baby. I do not want an infant in my house at all.

We have no relatives living close to us.

What can I legally do?

Also, is it my legal responsibility to drive her to OBGYN and other prenatal care appointments?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Anime and Video Games should be banned because they both ruin peoples lives.