Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I somehow managed to avoid throwing up entirely from the time I was an infant until age 20. I was staying with my parents over summer break, and I woke up at 4am feeling a little... Off. Went to the bathroom, sat down, and realized that the horrors of the deep were on their way, and I was powerless to stop them. Relying on the deepest of ancestral memories, I reflexively reached down for the trash bin moments before my stomach up-heaved everything I had eaten since 1994, timed perfectly to coincide with my rear end blowing liquified poo poo at maximum velocity out my other end. I think the equal and opposite reactions of both projectile flows is what kept me stuck to the toilet until my GI system had expelled it's entire carrying capacity.

I cleaned myself as best I could, then half crawled up the stairs to croak thru my parents bedroom door, "I think I threw up?" because it was such a shock to my system that it was all I could think to say.

The next morning, my dad took me to task for barfing in the trash bin instead of the toilet, and I burst into tears because I had a sense memory of the poo poo smell and the thought of trying to barf into a bowl of steaming diarrhea was enough to trigger a meltdown. He apologized when he realized the full enchilada was happening to me all at once, and the alternative would have been that other goon's liquid-poo poo-spray-paint situation, which is way harder to clean up than hosing out a plastic bin.

honestly sometimes i remember i really am browsing a website called "something awful"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Why the hell don't those go karts double as emergency rafts? You could even use their engine to propel them through the water.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If the Fifth Element taught me anything it's that there's plenty of room for escape pods

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

In HK on a trip. All the scaffolding here is bamboo its weirding me out!

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Bamboo is stronger than any steel.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Then how do pandas eat it :colbert:

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Pandas can't eat bamboo pipes.

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

They should make steel out of bamboo.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Kingdom of the Spiders remake looking good.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40QxMEU3KoU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Lurking Haro posted:

Pandas can't eat bamboo pipes.

:911::hf::china:

Anyway it's true, bamboo is incredibly strong and light material compared to steel scaffolding. My only concern would be the strength of each connection, as there is no standardized locking mechanism for the poles. I wouldn't like to think that they're held together by single zip ties...

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Mar 26, 2019

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

other people posted:

Bamboo is stronger than any steel.

Jet fuel can't melt bamboo reeds

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Make the scaffolding out of pandas then.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

jobson groeth posted:

If your life is devoid of human contact then you don't get it either. That seems to be working for me.

:hfive:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nenonen posted:

:911::hf::china:

Anyway it's true, bamboo is incredibly strong and light material compared to steel scaffolding. My only concern would be the strength of each connection, as there is no standardized locking mechanism for the poles. I wouldn't like to think that they're held together by single zip ties...

It seems like a lot of them are tied at more than one point and the scaffolding is denser than an equivalent metal one for more interlocking connections. It must work because I see these scaffolds everywhere from small scale to huge things

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Memento posted:

You need the direct link, that should work.

Turbines have systems to angle the blades such that they don't catch as much wind, and also braking systems. They don't always work, but three out of four turbines shown seem fine.
Pity there's no sound.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Have some Tuesday Truckfuckling:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-7Xn_UuPV0

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Can we talk about how dumb the driver of the car filming that incident is? I mean, you see it coming, why are you still driving so close as to be caught in the airborne debris?

Like, the truck driver made a mistake. The camera driver willfully drove into it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Bad Munki posted:

Can we talk about how dumb the driver of the car filming that incident is? I mean, you see it coming, why are you still driving so close as to be caught in the airborne debris?

Like, the truck driver made a mistake. The camera driver willfully drove into it.

I don't know that it would be immediately clear that the car on top was going to hit the bridge, and you don't even know if that was something the driver was even focusing on leading up to the bridge.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Bad Munki posted:

A mother responding to the ramblings of her child isn't doing calculations on whether every vehicle around will clear a bridge.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Nenonen posted:

My only concern would be the strength of each connection, as there is no standardized locking mechanism for the poles. I wouldn't like to think that they're held together by single zip ties...

Not even zip ties....

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
if bamboo scaffolding didn't work, that would have been noticed by now

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Mozi posted:

It has been noticed in countries with "regulations" and "labor rights" and other such bourgeois ideas.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Mozi posted:

not with an unlimited labor force it wouldn't

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It has been noticed in countries with "regulations" and "labor rights" and other such bourgeois ideas.
This

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Mozi posted:

Apparently, the workers prefer bamboo over steel as it has a more organic feel: when a single pole starts to fail, it does so slowly and they can notice and fix it. Whereas steel scaffolding tends to fail catastrophically without warning.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
Bamboo scaffolding has been in common use all over Asia for decades and is safe, strong, lightweight, and easy to assemble. You can have problems with it if workers aren't trained to use and inspect it correctly just like any metal scaffolding.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Shut up Meg posted:

Apparently, the workers prefer bamboo over steel as it has a more organic feel: when a single pole starts to fail, it does so slowly and they can notice and fix it. Whereas steel scaffolding tends to fail catastrophically without warning.

:allears:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

And theres departments for this.

https://www.labour.gov.hk/text_alternative/pdf/eng/SafetyGuideBambooScaffolding.pdf

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I need my scaffolding to be warmer and richer, that's why I only use these $5000 handcrafted oxygen-free zip ties

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They’re pretty neat tho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzBVf5u3T50

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

As a former resident of Hong Kong, I can vouch for how weird that scaffolding is. I know it's strong, but even HK uses the metal stuff for important projects. I used to work across from the old Police Station in Central, which was the largest and most expensive remodel in the city. Halfway through, the bamboo collapsed, and most of the building came down. They replaced it with galvanized, and finished without interruptions.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Lashing is probably as safe. Metal scaffolding uses mass produced hammer lock joints that are continuously thrown into concrete from 40ft and are used as 1 size fits all even when a joint should probably be lashed instead.

A scaffolds natural state is falling down so you need to inspect them before use no matter what.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Ixian posted:

Bamboo scaffolding has been in common use all over Asia for decades and is safe, strong, lightweight, and easy to assemble. You can have problems with it if workers aren't trained to use and inspect it correctly just like any metal scaffolding.

My main gripe is all the photos where there are no ladders or proper gangways and workers are climbing the scaffolds to all directions without being tied to anything. This isn't solely a quality of bamboo scaffolding, but there is a lot of overlapping between countries where bamboo or wood scaffolding is common and countries where scaffold safety standards are lacking. This though is from London; the company got a £5000 fine as a result.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Cojawfee posted:

A mother responding to the ramblings of her child isn't doing calculations on whether every vehicle around will clear a bridge.

Oh, okay. I had it turned down fairly quiet on account of my environment but I thought I was hearing exclamations from her about it being about to hit.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqUS4JGbb3I

All about it.

Short answer is, you can certainly find OSHA thread worthy examples of bad bamboo scaffolding practices but the bamboo itself isn't the problem, it's the usual cost-cutting dipshittery.

I know for people new to visiting Asia it can be a strange sight, particularly in places under perpetual, never-ending reconstruction like Hong Kong, Singapore, or Hengyang, but it is very common.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Bad Munki posted:

Oh, okay. I had it turned down fairly quiet on account of my environment but I thought I was hearing exclamations from her about it being about to hit.

I thought she was remarkably calm for what just happened in front of her. I'm pretty sure my kids have learned to swear from me because of startling situations like that. Kid: "What happened?", Mom calmly: "Oh that car broke". I'm sure I would've reacted more along the of lines of HOLY loving poo poo!!!

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i just assumed they couldnt reliably source the quality of metal needed for consistent, safe scaffolding in those huge amounts. Eventually you'd get to the middle of the bundle and they'd have substituted tin foil in there. but bamboo grows pretty uniform no matter what and its hard to create substandard bamboo so they just go with that

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It's real easy to create substandard bamboo - just don't harvest/season/store it correctly

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Not that it isn't safe, I'm happy to admit that I'm no expert and my suspicions are not data, but

"it's very common" as an argument for anything being in any way good is :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

The Bloop posted:

Not that it isn't safe, I'm happy to admit that I'm no expert and my suspicions are not data, but

"it's very common" as an argument for anything being in any way good is :lol:

Yes, "it's very common" was the totality of my point, not the video explaining how it works in detail.

The real problem I have with it is every time someone saw it for the first time in Singapore where I worked there was always an undercurrent of "oh, those poor asians, can't afford real steel, what a bunch of loving primitives" as though the only reason bamboo is used is because they are too cheap/stupid/unenlightened to use anything else. Sometimes they weren't even subtle about it.