Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
This seems to be the best place to ask - does anyone have a contact in Japan who deals with Upgarage? I've had great luck buying through Croooober, but I need a part picked up they won't ship. One of my struts failed and instead of buying a new $500 set, this seems like such a better deal: https://www.croooober.com/item/9570847

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

:swoon:

:swoon:

Having the grill, everything in picture 6 (mirrors and handles etc) and the center caps and rings air-shipped to me like I had the wheel covers and seat covers on the Domingo, I an unwilling to take any chances with that grill, I'm fukkin' STOKED it's included. The other bits are a real nice bonus.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
TOYOTA!

and thats the way it was
Feb 14, 2011

the spyder posted:

This seems to be the best place to ask - does anyone have a contact in Japan who deals with Upgarage? I've had great luck buying through Croooober, but I need a part picked up they won't ship. One of my struts failed and instead of buying a new $500 set, this seems like such a better deal: https://www.croooober.com/item/9570847

A friend has had good results using import monster before but that was to New Zealand, I'm not sure if they'll ship to the U.S.

If you don't have any luck I live in Osaka currently and could probably help out.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

KakerMix posted:

Having the grill, everything in picture 6 (mirrors and handles etc) and the center caps and rings air-shipped to me like I had the wheel covers and seat covers on the Domingo, I an unwilling to take any chances with that grill, I'm fukkin' STOKED it's included. The other bits are a real nice bonus.

Good call! The turn signals are about $75 on eBay, and mirrors going out mean at least $100 as well.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Relevant image.

CerealKilla420 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 18, 2019

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Nice on the parts!

Mtmd
Dec 29, 2008
HiAce is pulling moving duty this week. :getin:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
The wife and I are making an attempt at zeroing in on some sort of town ace or hi ace for our first import (with vanlife in mind.)

I just have to say, browsing these auctions daily is real, real addictive.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

savesthedayrocks posted:

Good call! The turn signals are about $75 on eBay, and mirrors going out mean at least $100 as well.

Good to hear, I just assumed whatever I sold the extra parts for would make up for the shipping the grill. Super stoked that its included guys, I can't say that enough, going to tear out that goofy hanzo steel one out ASAP.

Speaking of shipping:

:negative:

:negative:

Certified Fresh. This will be the newest vehicle we've imported as it's only became legal last month (Feb 1994 build date). 50,000 miles on the clock. This Delica is a bit odd though as it calls itself 'Super Exceed' on the exterior badges. A Super Exceed Delica is among the highest level of trims offered on L300s. You get dual batteries, nicer interior fabrics, thicker floor mats, 'flocked' trim on the inside (where you'd normally have smooth or hard plastic around the windows and on the doors you instead get that lightly soft fuzzy stuff), Crystal Lite Roof and Cool Box. The other thing you are supposed to have is a 4 speed automatic, the literature I can find says this, as well as the Delica brochure we have. This Delica has everything a Super Exceed does besides that automatic. See:

According to everything I've found there isn't supposed to be a thing as a Super Exceed with a 5 speed manual transmission, even though this Delica might as well BE the one in the brochure. :confused: Maybe it has to do with how Mitsubishi sold both the L300 and the L400 at the same time for years afterward, and 94 was when the L400 was introduced. Who knows!

Having that original stereo plus alt/incline/temp gauge pod thing shipped along with the Land Cruiser parts. Hate the aftermarket headunit the put in.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

The wife and I are making an attempt at zeroing in on some sort of town ace or hi ace for our first import (with vanlife in mind.)

I just have to say, browsing these auctions daily is real, real addictive.

Go HiAce with the KZ turbo diesel engine. It is a far better van to live with than any Lite/TownAce on every metric.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 20, 2019

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

KakerMix posted:

Good to hear, I just assumed whatever I sold the extra parts for would make up for the shipping the grill. Super stoked that its included guys, I can't say that enough, going to tear out that goofy hanzo steel one out ASAP.

Speaking of shipping:

Certified Fresh. This will be the newest vehicle we've imported as it's only became legal last month (Feb 1994 build date). 50,000 miles on the clock. This Delica is a bit odd though as it calls itself 'Super Exceed' on the exterior badges. A Super Exceed Delica is among the highest level of trims offered on L300s. You get dual batteries, nicer interior fabrics, thicker floor mats, 'frocked' trim on the inside (where you'd normally have smooth or hard plastic around the windows and on the doors you instead get that lightly soft fuzzy stuff), Crystal Lite Roof and Cool Box. The other thing you are supposed to have is a 4 speed automatic, the literature I can find says this, as well as the Delica brochure we have. This Delica has everything a Super Exceed does besides that automatic.

This thing is mint! One thing though, I think that the interior trim is "flocked" rather than "frocked", that's the word for, say, artificial Christmas trees that have fake fluffy snow sprayed on them, or the fuzzy pretend grass in railroad model sets, etc. Would make sense if it got mistranslated frocked what with Japanese not having a native "l" and such.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

bennyfactor posted:

This thing is mint! One thing though, I think that the interior trim is "flocked" rather than "frocked", that's the word for, say, artificial Christmas trees that have fake fluffy snow sprayed on them, or the fuzzy pretend grass in railroad model sets, etc. Would make sense if it got mistranslated frocked what with Japanese not having a native "l" and such.

No it's nothing like that, it was just a mistake by me. You are right, it's flocked not frocked, no translation funny business needed!

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

InitialDave posted:

That generation, yes, though it's listed as 1800cc and I had it in my head they were a 2.0. Might be misremembering.

Bit late to the party, but the 4G63 didn't start showing up until like '88. Earlier models would've had the 4G62 1.8 like the Starion/Conquest had.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

On another note, I'm starting to have dangerous thoughts about trying to flip my way to a Legnum VR4 over the next year or so.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

the spyder posted:

Jesse Streeter can probably help out, google or I can message him for you

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

MikeyTsi posted:

Bit late to the party, but the 4G63 didn't start showing up until like '88. Earlier models would've had the 4G62 1.8 like the Starion/Conquest had.
It did here, looks like a European homologation model based on the rally car spec. So our ones were 2.0, but the Japanese spec is 1.8.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

SquirrelGrip posted:

Jesse Streeter can probably help out, google or I can message him for you

Can you also message him for me because i am trying to get some gas strut delivered for the az-1

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Suzuki Carry delivered yesterday and got it to work immediately today. have some new rubber on the HiAce and while I tried to find white letter KO2s it wasn't meant to be. Still looks pretty killer as it is.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
A white paint marker does wonders for black sidewall lettering, just saying.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

When do those Delicas start having sliders on both sides? I really (really) want one, but I want to wait until I don't have to stand in traffic to get my kids out of the van.

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011

beep-beep car is go posted:

When do those Delicas start having sliders on both sides? I really (really) want one, but I want to wait until I don't have to stand in traffic to get my kids out of the van.

I think its the 94 and up Space Gear's that have them.

Yes, that is the real name of those vans. And yes, I want to drive one.

Mtmd
Dec 29, 2008
Had a headlight go out last night.

Front end off:

One of the 2 screws holding the grill on was rusted and stripped, so that and the drivers headdlight came out as one:

The bulbs in there were labelled "h4rs-p" as well as "12v60/55/8w" instead of just the usual 60/55 and have the same 3 prong setup as a normal h4/9003 plus a 4th that's a bit skinnier.

The 4th prong was connected to a separate single wire which ran into the part of the loom that connects the corner lamp, not the headlight:

The headlight housings themselves are stamped 12v60/55w so I just ran out and grabbed a set of normal H4 bulbs put them in and zip tied that extra wire out of the way. Everything works as normal. Any idea what that blue wire is?

Mtmd fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 21, 2019

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

beep-beep car is go posted:

Not until much later, deep into the late 90s at least. It seems, from observing inventory that cycles through the auctions, that dual sliding doors was a commercial van thing. You can see early 90s HiAces with them, but it's always a cargo version. Same with Delicas and Homys, only the plain white commercial ones seem to have the dual sliding doors. All the passenger vans have just the one. Kei vans have them on both sides but I'm guessing that's more to how inexpensive and small they are and always being tiny commercial vehicles first, passenger use later.

Delorence Fickle posted:

I think its the 94 and up Space Gear's that have them.

Yes, that is the real name of those vans. And yes, I want to drive one.

Look again, pretty sure all L400 Space Gears (like the L300 Star Wagons before them) have one sliding door, but it depends on what market they were built for. This being Japan means kids-in-traffic doors. I'm not entirely sure though so if you can find a Space Gear with dual sliding doors that would be rad.

As an aside, Space Gear and Star Wagon are always for-passenger use Delicas. Commercial variants will not have that nameplate on them.

Mtmd posted:

Any idea what that blue wire is?

Maybe something to do with the corner lamps that come on when you have the turn signal on to help you ~see~ around corners?

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 21, 2019

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
My "FARGO CARGO" ha see what i did there has sliding doors on both sides

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

KakerMix posted:

Suzuki Carry delivered yesterday and got it to work immediately today. have some new rubber on the HiAce and while I tried to find white letter KO2s it wasn't meant to be. Still looks pretty killer as it is.

Is there anything similar to this that can cruise at 75-80mph and carry 1500lb+ in the rear. I keep looking at Carry and similar vehicles but its just a little bit under what I need. I've considered a VW Doka T4 for now as a possible import since I saw them all over Germany a few years ago.

I know any basic American pickup meets my needs but I love cool little trucks. Until I find the perfect truck the F100 will continue to work.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Is there anything similar to this that can cruise at 75-80mph and carry 1500lb+ in the rear. I keep looking at Carry and similar vehicles but its just a little bit under what I need. I've considered a VW Doka T4 for now as a possible import since I saw them all over Germany a few years ago.

I know any basic American pickup meets my needs but I love cool little trucks. Until I find the perfect truck the F100 will continue to work.

Bongo can do that, lowest spec (like we had) has a 850kg weight capacity and could do 70+ mph. Mazda Bongo and Titan, Toyota HiAce and LiteAce, Isuzu Fargo, Nissan Vanette and Atlas are all Bongo and larger but still small compared to any remotely modern full size pickup. Added bonus of all having the fold down sides. They all look similar too though the Toyota LiteAces are all going to have 5 speed column shifting.

EDIT

I did have a bid but someone else within JCD is willing to go higher than I am so I'm no longer in the running. But look a this 'beaut. 20k, all original Suzuki Cara.

EDIT Sold for 1,948,000 yen, A bit under $18,000 USD. $$$$$$$$$$

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 23, 2019

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Auction Sheet posted:

5mt, ac, diesel, interior dirty, cargo area scratches, undercarriage surface rust, aftermarket suspension/steering wheel, wheels and mirrors scratched, crack in windshield, other detns scratches paint faded, corrosion spot near right front corner

Inspection Report posted:

engine starts one shot, idles and revs fine, no smoke or vibrations, oil level ok, no sludge, coolant ok, no oil leaks, tires worn, spare worn, no leaks mold or rust in trunk, undercarriage/frame surface rust only, right front C2 is wheel well arch corrosion and flaky 15cm, windshield 20cm crack, seats good, dashboard ok, ceiling liner scratches, no burns, ac ok, clutch ok, gears ok, check lamps ok, 4wd ok, diff lock ok, hub lock ok, lights ok, sunroof ok, wipers ok.

Short wheel base two door 70 series 1994 Land Cruiser with big HZ straight 6 diesel engine, 5 speed manual transmission, :siren: unlisted difflock :siren:, good interior and apparently not owned by a smoker (!) with the lift and those roof racks and winch. Sunroof too. Issues are it needs a windshield (will be done while it is in Japan) and has a flaking corrosion spot on the front right fender. Undercarriage is surface rust only so I don't think that corrosion spot is a risk, especially if it's just on the fender like the inspector says. Everything else is golden save the tires but I expect to replace tires on everything so no biggie. The unlisted diff lock thing is laffo, that's an option that would drive the price up, but because a lot of people bid only on the sheet and don't use inspectors people see it and pass 'cause no diff lock.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Did you get it?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Goddamn that’s sexy

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

Did you get it?

I did yeah

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Nice! Looks like a good find

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
Has anyone used tradecarview successfully, and if so did you get a third-party inspection? I'm looking at Honda Step Wagons since I think they'd be a good platform for a small cheap campervan conversion ($375 kiwi-dollars for the one below) but I want to be sure I'm not buying something with a blown transmission or anything else dodgy.

https://www.tradecarview.com/used_car/honda/step+wgn/24253583/?isNew=1

Also, just to clarify can people confirm you can't view past auction results for some of the big auction houses? It be great to know what the price range for some models is.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Jomo posted:

Has anyone used tradecarview successfully, and if so did you get a third-party inspection? I'm looking at Honda Step Wagons since I think they'd be a good platform for a small cheap campervan conversion ($375 kiwi-dollars for the one below) but I want to be sure I'm not buying something with a blown transmission or anything else dodgy.

https://www.tradecarview.com/used_car/honda/step+wgn/24253583/?isNew=1

Also, just to clarify can people confirm you can't view past auction results for some of the big auction houses? It be great to know what the price range for some models is.

Not sure what the Stepwagon uses, but the Odyssey auto boxes of that era are notorious for grenading.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Not sure what the Stepwagon uses, but the Odyssey auto boxes of that era are notorious for grenading.

I believe the Odyssey uses the CR-V CVT while Stepwagon uses the Civic 5 speed auto. I think the (Odyssey) issue is that the chassis weight is a bit much for the CVT of that era.

Edit: And what's up with $1 listings? Actual legit or something else?

https://www.tradecarview.com/used_car_smart/nissan/serena/24255467/?isNew=1

Jomo fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Mar 26, 2019

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Jomo posted:

I believe the Odyssey uses the CR-V CVT while Stepwagon uses the Civic 5 speed auto. I think the (Odyssey) issue is that the chassis weight is a bit much for the CVT of that era.

The Odyssey has the same issue as every other V6 / Hondamatic combo of that era, though I thought they were getting past that by 2006ish. Definitely not a CVT, I don't think Honda has paired a CVT to anything above a four cylinder yet.

All of the V6s they sell now are paired up with ZF transmissions in the 8-10 speed range.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

IOwnCalculus posted:

Definitely not a CVT, I don't think Honda has paired a CVT to anything above a four cylinder yet.

All of the V6s they sell now are paired up with ZF transmissions in the 8-10 speed range.

On this topic, Hondata tested how much torque the new CVT takes to fail and shows what actually happens internally
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocR1D_dXhCk

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Mtmd posted:

The headlight housings themselves are stamped 12v60/55w so I just ran out and grabbed a set of normal H4 bulbs put them in and zip tied that extra wire out of the way. Everything works as normal. Any idea what that blue wire is?

Sounds like a "city" light/DRL.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I was just looking for used HiAces on my local used car site. I knew they rode around here. So I found a couple of them. All of them are in total poo poo condition and still cost a lot of money. One of them said 'accident free' with literally showing a big dent on the front. Rust on every panel, interior shredded and caked in alayer of dust, with actual holes in the interior door panel, bottom, dash, and wires hanging out. gently caress.

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It’s accident free because they meant to hit that pole.