Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010
Played a bunch of multiplayer with some friends. There were three of us in the game and we only encountered a few problems. We had a very odd bug where a player would place an entity and occasionally (like 1/100) it would be invisible to the other players but still collide with them and block building. Connectivity was also spotty, it took repeated attempts to join a game. We ran into a crash causing bug where my friend ended up saving the game after I fell to my death and when I respawned at the hub my player model would be stuck in the ceiling. When he loaded the save I would load in falling to my death, respawn and crash the game, so we had to roll back to an earlier autosave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
So, uh, has anyone been attacked by fuzzy 2D sprites of house cats?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Do you have arachnophobia mode on?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, that would be it, the spidery monsters are turned into gifs of cats in "arachnophobia" mode.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Speedball posted:

Yeah, that would be it, the spidery monsters are turned into gifs of cats in "arachnophobia" mode.

In multiplayer it apparently just makes them invisible to you, which is neat.

Also I found a patch of uranium in the northeast, so I'm excited to see what nuclear power looks like down the line.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Played a ton with my friend in co-op, a bunch of findings and thoughts:

-Always build up. Walls with conveyors and windows allow for a ton of flexibility, and once you understand placing splitters and mergers on pre-placed belts your factories get crazy optimized.
-Batteries are best used in miners once you've unlocked level 4 belts, but good luck building all those coal burners. This trivializes power to a degree where geothermal plants are useless.
-Feels like gas masks are unlocked a tier too late, it would be really nice if we could hotswap equipment between Blade Runner and Jetpack and Gas Mask.
-If you research a hard drive and don't have any recipes left the game will crash, so don't do that thing
-Nodes for Sulfur, Uranium, Quartz, Bauxite are all available to be mined, and S.A.M. alien ore to be found. Uranium ore is radioactive and hurts anything near it. As far as I know these resources are all useless as are Mercer Spheres and those red crystals.
-Found a crash site requiring Nuclear Fuel Rod and another requiring Crystal Oscillator, guessing both are unreachable.
-Eventually the game became unplayable, but setting Network Quality to Ultra and disabling Send Game Details fixed that. My friend would sometimes have trouble with the initial loading in, and we also had the bug where sometimes a floor was invisible and had to be recreated, but it was otherwise smooth.
-Game could really do with a heavy increase in construction requirements, but if our complaint is 'game not grindy enough' that's a pretty positive complaint. Heavy Mod Frames aren't used in any actual production so it didn't feel useful to automate their production, just like Supercomputers.

Oh also I'm floored by how much detail was added to the world between the last build I played and EA. Wish we still could use the map, but really looking forward to future patches.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 25, 2019

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
if you die and log out your death waypoint goes away

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Xerophyte posted:

We're trying to start a small goon game so I started a very basic goon discord server at

Invite expired

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

nielsm posted:

Invite expired

Permanent link: https://discord.gg/pkKtsb6

I guess if we get invaded by terrifying SA-scraping advertisement bots we'll just have to deal with it. Or burn it all down. One of the two.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I spent way too much time messing around with compact layouts but still don’t know the best one.

I’m currently using splitters in front of every input and mergers on every output and that seems to do a good job feeding everything.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I kind of want a combine harvester vehicle. Mow through foliage and convert it to biomass, clear out those pesky forests.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I would like an eventual chill farm DLC so you cold grow the various plants in greenhouses and whatnot.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

pokie posted:

I would like an eventual chill farm DLC so you cold grow the various plants in greenhouses and whatnot.

Good way to get healing items at the very least. Maybe also grow tamed versions of the alien monsters so you can get carapaces and whatnot.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

So chaotic...

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I've decided to make a tower of babel. Each floor will make a single intermediate. I'm sure this is a bad idea.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I found a Geyser!

Unfortunately did not prepare the 8 supercomputers required to build a geothermal plant on it.
...and forgot to put down a beacon as well.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

You can scan for geysers if you forget where exactly it is.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I've decided to make a tower of babel. Each floor will make a single intermediate. I'm sure this is a bad idea.

How do you expand when you unlock better belts and miners

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
It'll start with mk4 belts, which ought to be good for several months worth of early access updates I hope.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Atoramos posted:

How do you expand when you unlock better belts and miners

more floors, duh

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

What are the walls good for?

Here's an old screen of babby's first coal plant and adjacent industry. Note the beautiful single rotor traveling all the way from the green plains starting locations on the top left belt. My first production of them was... less than optimal.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

This sounds glorious. Post screens.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

pokie posted:

What are the walls good for?

They are pretty and they also have some that let you put conveyor belts on them.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Just to confirm, in generator buildings, burn time is only related to power draw and not clockspeed correct? So if I overclock a building that solely increases the potential fuel ingestion speed and potential total output (saving space), but won't change the efficiency.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Walls also let you build another layer of floor without trying to stack foundation blocks on top of each other.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Astroniomix posted:

They are pretty and they also have some that let you put conveyor belts on them.

I'm hoping they add a sideways conveyor bracket that can be attached to walls.. the conveyor belt wall feature is exceedingly limited. Yes, I want sideways stackable conveyor brackets.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Ambaire posted:

I'm hoping they add a sideways conveyor bracket that can be attached to walls.. the conveyor belt wall feature is exceedingly limited. Yes, I want sideways stackable conveyor brackets.

They also need a corner mounted one so I can wrap them around corners without them clipping through the wall.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I tried a tower approach earlier in the alpha when the top tier was steel. I had a 1x2-1x4 (can't remember exactly) section of floor missing and had a spiral of belts (either 2 sets of 3 or 2 sets of 4, also can't remember) that went between floors. This was a terrible idea as it made a central mess where everything was trying to go in and out from. Also, at the time there was a bug that only allowed placing walls in one specific cardinal direction on the foundation.

If I did it again, I could make it better, but there were definitely flaws in the plan. I think multiple smaller vertical runs of belts would be better. With parallel and perpendicular conveyor mounts for walls now, there are probably some sweet designs where the conveyor inclines are on the outside of the building or in a separate access space and they enter/exit through conveyor windows.

E: By top tier as steel, I mean that you'd unlock steel and that was basically the end of it.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Finished my early game factory! All of this supports 2.5 assemblers making modular frames and 1.66 assemblers making motors, with some spare steel going in to encased beams.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Astroniomix posted:

They also need a corner mounted one so I can wrap them around corners without them clipping through the wall.

It's a little extra work, but you can fix this by building and deleting some throwaway foundations and conveyor poles - build up a nice corner, then delete the foundation and pole, the belt will stay.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
OK I started on my tower project, though to keep it a little reasonable I'm doing power and smelting on site where the resources are. Anyways, here are 30 foundries turning two patches of normal iron and two patches of normal copper (mk II miners @187% == one input mk IV belt of each) in to three mark IV belts of iron ingots: The iron will be consumed by steel smelting, the frames recipes, and wire for the electronics recipes.

Each foundry has two input splitters with one elevated 2m, and one output merger chain. It buffers 12000 ingots on its own, and seems to run at full throughput after enough time.

It took about 3 hours but if I had to do it again it would be much faster.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
This game badly needs blueprints. It's fine for now but if it's not in the final game..

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

totalnewbie posted:

This game badly needs blueprints. It's fine for now but if it's not in the final game..

Do you mean copy-paste of entire machine parks?

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
I found that compartmentalising, decoupling and bussing makes expansions a lot more manageable. So you just add another factory or level that takes what it needs from the bus and returns its products to its relevant belt. Need more capacity,? just add another belt to the bus. This is way factories don't become bigger than four producers per building. Also the bus looks nice snaking it's way through your factory.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

nielsm posted:

Do you mean copy-paste of entire machine parks?

Pretty sure they showed off something in one of the trailers which implied it was a feature-in-progress but can't remember specifically what it was (maybe chunks of a base building at once, at the same time?)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Joda posted:

I found that compartmentalising, decoupling and bussing makes expansions a lot more manageable. So you just add another factory or level that takes what it needs from the bus and returns its products to its relevant belt. Need more capacity,? just add another belt to the bus. This is way factories don't become bigger than four producers per building. Also the bus looks nice snaking it's way through your factory.

After so long playing Factorio, I'm enjoying not busing materials, and just making individual outposts producing their finished goods from raw materials. It's a nice change of pace, and fine-tuning the machine speeds to keep it balanced is kind of fun.

Might change my mind on this once the next tiers are added and I need to actually bring the computers/heavy frames/whatever to the space elevator. But that's what long awkward snakes of conveyors are for!

I kind of wish there was a space elevator load to do for T7 even if it doesn't actually unlock anything. Just to have something to gear my factory towards and establish a sort of end state; a goal that isn't just self-imposed. You still need to make a load of computers, heavy frames and motors for the research but it doesn't quite feel the same when you have to load it up by hand.
Although there might be some yet-unimplemented item that's made from the motors to load in, given the way the second load of elevator goods were both products made from the first load...

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Jamsque posted:

Finished my early game factory! All of this supports 2.5 assemblers making modular frames and 1.66 assemblers making motors, with some spare steel going in to encased beams.
I set up my first / Iron factory in exactly the same place:

Joda posted:

It took me 30 hours to realize you don't have to compartmentalize everything to fit a power generator, you can hook up multiple generators to one powergrid.

On the plus side, SPRAWL! Once i reached steel I made an entirely seperate factory for steel, stators and encased industrial steel beams

Coal outpost for steelworks

Sprawl!

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Tenebrais posted:

I kind of wish there was a space elevator load to do for T7 even if it doesn't actually unlock anything. Just to have something to gear my factory towards and establish a sort of end state; a goal that isn't just self-imposed.

I want this too, I felt pretty deflated when I sent up my frames and motors and saw that I had basically completed the game as it currently stands. That's the Early Access experience I guess.

My two biggest desires for this game right now are for iron screws to be re-named to either iron bolts or iron rivets, and for resource requirements for the space elevator shipments to be increased by a factor of ten so that it is actually worth automating their production and using the belt inputs on the elevator.

Jamsque fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 26, 2019

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
This is a lot of fun but it really really needs trains.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Jamsque posted:

My two biggest desires for this game right now are for iron screws to be re-named to either iron bolts or iron rivets, and for resource requirements for the space elevator shipments to be increased by a factor of ten so that it is actually worth automating their production and using the belt inputs on the elevator.

The space elevator def. needs higher input requirements. I hand crafted all the final products for all the currently available tiers, only the intermediates being automated. I want the next stage to be something like 5000 computers and 10,000 heavy modular frames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

nielsm posted:

The space elevator def. needs higher input requirements. I hand crafted all the final products for all the currently available tiers, only the intermediates being automated. I want the next stage to be something like 5000 computers and 10,000 heavy modular frames.

They could add throughput objectives as wel. Input x widgets / minute into the space elevator for 10 minutes to get next tier.