Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

[opens up that guys twitter]

bellingcat retweet

ah, yep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://twitter.com/cjcmichel/status/1110220516688826368?s=21

~~~~ tHiNk PrOgReSs ~~~~

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I guess there's no better way to know you've arrived than having the entire foreign policy blob trying to speak to your manager.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Maybe Carl can get his weiibo account back once the party learns of his good work in America

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Phone posted:

~~~~ tHiNk PrOgReSs ~~~~

Some wild twitter threads coming out of this.

Looks like some of these creeps are going after RWN's patreon funding. And a friend is saying there's a deleted Carl Zha tweet where someone sent him pictures of his house and said they forwarded it to ICE. These people are loving horrible.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 18:57 on Mar 26, 2019

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i think i saw that tweet, the one where someone was saying “maybe ICE would be interested in paying zha a visit”

scratch a liberal...

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Carl Zha is a surfer with an engineering degree, and they're getting this worked up about his podcast.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The real crime was the editing of his old cast. "We will cut this part out" indeed.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

genericnick posted:

The real crime was the editing of his old cast. "We will cut this part out" indeed.

A real spy/disinformation officer would be good with recording equipment.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

lol who actually thinks the exile is less problematic than their current stuff

e: vv lol

StashAugustine has issued a correction as of 23:09 on Mar 26, 2019

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

lol who actually thinks the exile is less problematic than their current stuff

Unfair. You just found the one fan of his undeergrad poetry.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
i got about 10 pages in before i subbed to the patreon, any episodes that yall suggest? i have the sci fi one all ready but if theres any about somalia or the ogden war that would be cool too since both my grandfathers were in it

edit: another 10 pages of the thread and i got a good pool of episodes to watch now!

drjuggalo has issued a correction as of 00:36 on Mar 27, 2019

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

there was one a month or two back about al-shabab in somalia that was pretty good

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

lmao

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1110697522194870272?s=19

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Hamprince keeps his best material for Facebook I see.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i'm so glad these freaks and perverts are getting owned. god they suck

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I expected these people to be soulless hacks, not complete maniacs.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

loving psychopaths

https://twitter.com/panarin_misha/status/1110633886617423872

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Dreylad posted:

I expected these people to be soulless hacks, not complete maniacs.
Foreign Policy blobs are all bloodthirsty madmen. Like the one that wrote this tweet wants you to think this reflects poorly on Corbyn
https://twitter.com/magnitsky/status/1110465966104813568

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Thomas Whigham was a good guest but he had pretty advanced case of professor disease. Not as patronizing as that Africa reporter guy (Jeffrey Gettleman?), but definitely used to running a conversation with 20 year olds, making a meal over correcting the minor misstatements of assistant professors etc.

coathat
May 21, 2007

I was not expecting 15 minutes of mostly positive fleet wood mac to start the episode so they were due some condescension

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
This is a good topic and a worthwhile episode but the guest sounds like an uncle who insists he's interesting.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

at least his audio is clear

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

420 Gank Mid posted:

Foreign Policy blobs are all bloodthirsty madmen. Like the one that wrote this tweet wants you to think this reflects poorly on Corbyn
https://twitter.com/magnitsky/status/1110465966104813568

I saw this tweet a few days ago and then he had his Bellingcat affiliation listed in his bio. It's scrubbed now I guess

It's still up at the Bellingcat site.
https://www.bellingcat.com/author/magnitsky/

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

pangstrom posted:

Thomas Whigham was a good guest but he had pretty advanced case of professor disease. Not as patronizing as that Africa reporter guy (Jeffrey Gettleman?), but definitely used to running a conversation with 20 year olds, making a meal over correcting the minor misstatements of assistant professors etc.

He was definitely in full lecture mode, but the subject matter was interesting at least. I learned a bit about the war back in my undergrad days but it was nice to get more context.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah I didn't really weight my comment right. Top line: Good guest, knowledgeable, good at giving larger perspectives, good teacher and pleasant. Side note: much more a lecturer than a conversationalist with the "how about I ask MYSELF the questions" types of stuff.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Anyone else underwhelmed with the Nigeria episode? Felt like more of the episode was spent on US politics, when the audio was even parsable. Also got the vibe of real trash progressive/liberal electioneering insights, but that's the risk you run into when covering an election I guess.

Paraguay episode was lit tho

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Anyone else underwhelmed with the Nigeria episode? Felt like more of the episode was spent on US politics, when the audio was even parsable. Also got the vibe of real trash progressive/liberal electioneering insights, but that's the risk you run into when covering an election I guess.

Yeah it was mostly just old war stories about failed US campaigns, wish there had been more about local politics

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

he is quite literally, figuratively speaking, a fed.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

I almost subscribed because I heard about this ep. If it's not in depth as all hell, I'm good. Nigerian politics owns

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

drjuggalo posted:

i got about 10 pages in before i subbed to the patreon, any episodes that yall suggest? i have the sci fi one all ready but if theres any about somalia or the ogden war that would be cool too since both my grandfathers were in it

edit: another 10 pages of the thread and i got a good pool of episodes to watch now!

I like the episodes on the IRA and Sinn Fein. The one they did on Hezbollah was good and really informative too.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I thought the one about the Sikh Empire was really good too

Anything with William Hogeland is usually gold, he's an academic who knows how to have a conversation, and his book Autumn of the Black Snake is excellent.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I haven’t listened to the Nigerian ep but it reminds me of a comment John once wrote that intrigued me that if not foreign exploitation Nigeria would be a massively successful country on a scale with the big dogs.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The Nigerian episode is like 1 hour American elections & politics, and 45 minutes of Nigerian elections & politics. Which is still way more than you'd get about Nigeria anywhere else.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

snoremac posted:

I haven’t listened to the Nigerian ep but it reminds me of a comment John once wrote that intrigued me that if not foreign exploitation Nigeria would be a massively successful country on a scale with the big dogs.

sorta. it's still a colonial amalgation. the more northern muslim areas had the sokoto empire until relatively recently, but the ethnic groups in the "south-south" of the country hate the others to the north and west and are generally separatist

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The Igbo have had a long history of independence before the British made them one big country with the Yoruba, Hausa, and Fulani. Also keep in mind, people may resent Hausa for stupid reasons but the Nigerian army literally starved Biafra into submission, and Igbo & Yoruba who move to the north to make money get killed fairly regularly. It's not like they just hate each other for nothing.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The Igbo have had a long history of independence before the British made them one big country with the Yoruba, Hausa, and Fulani. Also keep in mind, people may resent Hausa for stupid reasons but the Nigerian army literally starved Biafra into submission, and Igbo & Yoruba who move to the north to make money get killed fairly regularly. It's not like they just hate each other for nothing.

yeah, i have friends that also complain that "their oil" goes to financiers in kano. the most recent issue the last two years has been fulani herdsmen encroaching on igbo cropland around yobe. the sahel is a lovely place for herding and they dive south as far as they can until people start fighting back

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I just discovered RWN about two weeks ago and it's been fun listening to their backlog. Hearing Ames and Dolan gripe about weird grievances from the Russian ex-pat community at the turn of the millennium gives me great flashbacks to when The eXile was the homepage on my mom's lovely Dell PC in 2003.

I found the Sino-Vietnamese War episode to be pretty interesting, but goddamn the guest audio is super painful sometimes (as you all have discussed with the Nigeria episode, holy poo poo).

THS
Sep 15, 2017

yeah ill always listen to the first 30 minutes where we get to hear about mark ames being a dad and john dolan’s misadventures but sometimes the guest audio is just unlistenable and i skip the meat of the episode. it truly sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
I dunno there's only so many times I can listen to the ongoing saga of John's teeth.