Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/SenMikeLee/status/1110588300614610945

What? I don't know if I'm more confused by the poster or the statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

zoux posted:

Assuming they're reporting income and tax bill truthfully, it's 37.5%

Plus state taxes and payroll taxes, but yeah, unlikely their effective rate is 40% between marginal rates and that they wouldn't even be in the 37% bracket for MFJ. And even if it is, my heart bleeds for them.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

I'm the guy with the lady arm.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Push El Burrito posted:

I wish. Would at least spice things up a bit.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

cut open the rich, survive the climate change caused blizzard in their guts, kill space hitler

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

T-man posted:

cut open the rich, survive the climate change caused blizzard in their guts, kill space hitler

You lost me at space Hitler. Who's that supposed to be, in this scenario?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Imagine actually being able to say "IF DISENFRANCHISING MINORITIES IS BAD THEN WHY DOES THE GOVERNMENT DO IT?" and not bursting into flames out of pure shame

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
what level of owned are you when you start digging through the trash pile of irrelevant leftist splinter groups to find a bad opinion you can wave about to pretend that there's unanimous dissent on your pet issue

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

luxury handset posted:

what level of owned are you when you start digging through the trash pile of irrelevant leftist splinter groups to find a bad opinion you can wave about to pretend that there's unanimous dissent on your pet issue

Michael Tracey "Maxine Waters nearly murdered me" levels

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
If I was this bad with money I'd feel pretty morally obligated to kill myself

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

RareAcumen posted:

You lost me at space Hitler. Who's that supposed to be, in this scenario?

Palpatine and or jar jar

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

trickybiscuits posted:

If I was this bad with money I'd feel pretty morally obligated to kill myself

they're doing great with their money, it's just clickbaity to say that a upper middle class couple who eats $500 worth of food a week, is fully funding their retirement, and lives in a very nice house while providing all of the socially desirable advantages to their children while having money left over and obtaining luxurious amounts of leisure activities are somehow "struggling"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Have y'all considered blessing your TLs by blocking glinners? I did.

https://twitter.com/damonagnos/status/1110606095993597953

I cannot believe how not mad this guy is

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

luxury handset posted:

they're doing great with their money, it's just clickbaity to say that a upper middle class couple who eats $500 worth of food a week, is fully funding their retirement, and lives in a very nice house while providing all of the socially desirable advantages to their children while having money left over and obtaining luxurious amounts of leisure activities are somehow "struggling"

According to the chart, the issue isn't that they are struggling, its that the couple making $500,000 a year still feel "average". Considering that 70%+ of Americans are living paycheck to paycheck the truth is that this couple that can afford luxury vehicles, multiple vacations per year, can save pretty well for the future and still have money left over are hopelessly out of touch with what it means to be "average". This couple is objectively well-off financially but their heads are probably so far up their asses trying to "keep up with the Jones" that they think they are "average" because they can't drop a ton of money on a boat or pay someone off to get their kids into fancy private schools and colleges.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I mean, I've probably spent over three grand on clothes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

captainOrbital posted:

I mean, I've probably spent over three grand on clothes.

*points to guillotine*

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Over the last...nearly thirty years probably? That's 300 a year. Well, if you include concert shirts, yeah probably.

Jesus sorry my brain was dumb on the simplest math that is humanly possible. I'm leaving it alone as a window into my dumbness

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

captainOrbital posted:

if you include concert shirts,

*pointing insistence intensifies*

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Psh. Concert shirts are a perfectly acceptable souvenir and a good way to support small bands.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

luxury handset posted:

King of Foolians posted:

According to the chart, the issue isn't that they are struggling, its that the couple making $500,000 a year still feel "average". Considering that 70%+ of Americans are living paycheck to paycheck the truth is that this couple that can afford luxury vehicles, multiple vacations per year, can save pretty well for the future and still have money left over are hopelessly out of touch with what it means to be "average". This couple is objectively well-off financially but their heads are probably so far up their asses trying to "keep up with the Jones" that they think they are "average" because they can't drop a ton of money on a boat or pay someone off to get their kids into fancy private schools and colleges.
Sorry, yeah, this pretty much. I think I was thinking that if I made over 250k a year and still felt average, then I'd be honor-bound to shoot myself in the head for being a dumb gently caress.

I'm so sick of these budgeting examples that about .8% of people in the United State can begin to relate to. Maybe this family would feel better if the media were full of budgets for people living on $24,000 a year.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

That actually made me laugh out loud. I want to believe it was a joke post pointing out the absurdity of the argument and not a serious post.

IoSM: you could say only anti-feminists respect women

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

King of Foolians posted:

According to the chart, the issue isn't that they are struggling, its that the couple making $500,000 a year still feel "average".

just so you know this is a theoretical example and there's no real family behind this that feels one way or another

the point is that they're trying to say "look, it's tough being a henry, look at all those expenses with only a few measly thousands in disposable income (after all other disposable expenses are tallied)" and normal people with wage jobs are like "wow they have everything they could possibly want with money left over, sounds great actually where do i sign up"

trickybiscuits posted:

I'm so sick of these budgeting examples that about .8% of people in the United State can begin to relate to. Maybe this family would feel better if the media were full of budgets for people living on $24,000 a year.

i got you man, here's the example budget mcdonalds published for their ideal employee's finances

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

luxury handset posted:

just so you know this is a theoretical example and there's no real family behind this that feels one way or another

the point is that they're trying to say "look, it's tough being a henry, look at all those expenses with only a few measly thousands in disposable income (after all other disposable expenses are tallied)" and normal people with wage jobs are like "wow they have everything they could possibly want with money left over, sounds great actually where do i sign up"

i got you man, here's the example budget mcdonalds published for their ideal employee's finances

Gotta love that it includes two jobs

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If I worked at McD's, could I get medical insurance for $20? Genuine Q.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I'm the $600 mortgage/rent.

EL BROMANCE posted:

If I worked at McD's, could I get medical insurance for $20? Genuine Q.

Hahaha.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I'm the no money spent on food.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

zoux posted:

*pointing insistence intensifies*

Overseas vacation? That's a 'tinin'.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Push El Burrito posted:

I’ve heard he’s the best character in the new Devil May Cry.

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

Piell posted:

I'm the no money spent on food.

Food, Gas, Clothing, Water are all luxuries you should budget out for

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I like how internet and phone are rolled into one.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I've never seen a fast food job that doesn't actively try to gently caress you over if you even think about getting a second job. We need you available, drat it!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/WilcoxNMP/status/1109093300059938816

There's some gold in this thread, like people insisting that this "an evolutionary path to genetically engineered offspring supported by artificial intelligence driven devices."

https://twitter.com/tobeiconoclast/status/1109629783124725760

And of course just weirdo chuds.

Sometimes I feel like a weirdo who's say too conservative for the modern world, but then people like this pop up and remind me that while I may not be the most liberal guy around, at least I'm not this rear end in a top hat.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Cythereal posted:

We need you available, drat it!

One time in high school my boss at Subway called the principle posing as my dad. He said my uncle had died and I needed to get off early to be with my family. All because they were slammed during the lunch rush.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Now everyone is an incel? Oh boy.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

T-man posted:

Now everyone is an incel? Oh boy.

This Weezer cover of The Beatles sucks.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

luxury handset posted:

It's not theoretical, according to the article linked from the original tweet the example is absolutely real (why else would they list specific cars and charities?). It's from a couple of 35-year-old lawyers in New York City. You are right about the point the article is trying to make though, "Poor little rich people feel like they aren't very rich even after making 6 figures and paying for everything they need and want".

The entire article is pretty infuriating though:

lovely CNBC article posted:

As you can see, they both max out their 401(k) plan each year and are working on paying down student loan debt. But, even though they qualify as “upper-class,” after taxes, fixed costs, childcare and discretionary expenses, there’s only $7,300 left each year to go towards other savings goals, investment accounts or retirement funds.

As Dogen puts it, they’re effectively “scraping by,” in part because they’re still living “paycheck-to-paycheck,” despite their generous salaries.

THAT'S NOT WHAT LIVING "PAY CHECK TO PAY CHECK" MEANS!

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

zoux posted:

Women be shoppin' am I right fellas

#OffWorldProblems

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

King of Foolians posted:

Is there anything that isn't accounted for? They're maxing out their retirement/investment, they're paying off their debts, they're not lacking a single thing, and they still come out with 600 bucks per month on top of literally all of it.

Sure, some fixed costs are there. But pretty sure nobody's putting a gun to their head for those holidays.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

King of Foolians posted:

My husband's boss sold a successful start-up and netted a nice $20 mil. Now he makes ~500k a year and talks constantly about how miserable he is at work because it's not getting him to the next level of wealth. Like, he can afford a boat and a nice vacation home, but he's not like some of his friends who have private planes, and that bugs him.

$20 million is more than like 99% of people in the world will ever have, but he still doesn't feel elite.

(He's also a huge douchebag, which probably goes without saying)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

King of Foolians posted:

It's not theoretical, according to the article linked from the original tweet the example is absolutely real (why else would they list specific cars and charities?). It's from a couple of 35-year-old lawyers in New York City. You are right about the point the article is trying to make though, "Poor little rich people feel like they aren't very rich even after making 6 figures and paying for everything they need and want".

The entire article is pretty infuriating though:

I mean, they have a loving 10k 'misc' column. Wtf is that supposed to be for?