Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

we have a vast inventory of empty housing units

the problem is that if you try to use one, a bunch of guys in blue uniforms will use violence to remove you from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Ruzihm posted:

we have a vast inventory of empty houses.

the problem is that if you try to use one, a bunch of guys in blue uniforms will use violence to remove you from them.

Maybe in some areas, but anyway that doesn't really have much to do with landlords.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It's pretty clear that the thread invaders aren't interested in solving problems. They just want to stir up poo poo and get angry at someone.

So hey, good job! You accomplished your goal! :bravo:

Oh, and they gave me a new avatar. Why don't you spend that money on rent?

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

Maybe in some areas, but anyway that doesn't really have much to do with landlords.

landlords are the ones telling the blue outfit people to use the violence

v because it's the option that maximizes their long term expectation of profit

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Ruzihm posted:

landlords are the ones telling the blue outfit people to use the violence

why would landlords own homes and leave them empty to the point that there are "vast" numbers of them

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Thermopyle posted:

why would landlords own homes and leave them empty to the point that there are "vast" numbers of them

Who do you think would be first to complain if the unused housing was made available to those without homes? Maybe the group profiting off renting their housing to those without, yeah?

Look, the landlord hatred is coming from somewhere. You can chalk it up to jealousy or ignorance if you want, but I think it's worth some introspection. "Am I justified in asking for this rental amount based on the work I've put into the situation, yes/no?"

If the answer is yes, great! If it's no, lower rent until you you aren't exploiting anyone. I sleep fine at night asking for rent because I built my rental spaces with my own hands. I keep it low, never raise rents on a tenant, and give December discounts and would be willing to work with a tenant in financial trouble (temporarily at least). It's a power imbalance, be responsible with it. Those landlords who haven't and have treated it like easy money printing is where the landlord hate is coming from, in my opinion.

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 26, 2019

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

well anyway, thats another thing thats better served by good policy

interestingly, some quick googlin leads me to believe that the amount of empty housing is many, many times the number of homeless people.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone here in this thread at least that thinks that is a good outcome

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

poopinmymouth posted:

Who do you think would be first to complain if the unused housing was made available to those without homes? Maybe the group profiting of renting their housing to those without, yeah?

"We can't have those types in our neighborhood!"

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

poopinmymouth posted:

Who do you think would be first to complain if the unused housing was made available to those without homes? Maybe the group profiting of renting their housing to those without, yeah?

but they're not renting them, right?

^^^ this is the first group that would complain.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Future aspiring landlord here, where can i pre purchase my own guillotine with my tenants security deposit?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Now I’m really curious what’s going on here. Coordinated avatar replacements is a new tactic.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

lol these avatars own

v it also ignores the implication that somehow even more housing will help fix the problem of there being a vast inventory of empty housing.

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 26, 2019

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Thermopyle posted:

If no one went into debt to own rental property there would not be enough housing supply. (AKA, rents would be even higher)

How are you in BFC yet possess so little knowledge of the actual market? If you think that small time individuals are what move the market and not massive conglomerates then idk what to tell you fam.

Also choppy Bois for the leeches itt, you know who you are

The Ghoul
Dec 8, 2011

I got a cobra for a cock and some wrought iron balls

Jealous Cow posted:

Now I’m really curious what’s going on here. Coordinated avatar replacements is a new tactic.

My goodness, the proles are organizing?! Better call the Pinkertons before they start getting ideas!

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I see that actual wealthy people are still successfully getting us to fight amongst ourselves.

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

Jealous Cow posted:

I see that actual wealthy people are still successfully getting us to fight amongst ourselves.

Pretty rich coming from the petit bourgeois landlord

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

Jealous Cow posted:

yes we are truly all proles fighting the same fight.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

How are you in BFC yet possess so little knowledge of the actual market? If you think that small time individuals are what move the market and not massive conglomerates then idk what to tell you fam.

Wait a second, are you saying real estate conglomerates (and in fact almost every business on the planet) aren't using leverage? Do tell! :allears:

Thermopyle posted:

interestingly, some quick googlin leads me to believe that the amount of empty housing is many, many times the number of homeless people.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone here in this thread at least that thinks that is a good outcome

These empty houses still pay their property taxes, providing for the local community to an extent. While not a "good" outcome, it's perfectly reasonable to not try to tell people that they have to rent out their real property if they're not using it. It's certainly much better than letting homeless people into the houses to wreck the housing's value. That would be like telling exotic car owners they have to rent out their cars to randoms since they don't drive them very much and with much the same result.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Also choppy Bois for the leeches itt, you know who you are

yeah, this is the thread all the REITs and what not are located at. good place to start the revolution

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

baquerd posted:

Wait a second, are you saying real estate conglomerates (and in fact almost every business on the planet) aren't using leverage? Do tell! :allears:

These empty houses still pay their property taxes, providing for the local community to an extent. While not a "good" outcome, it's perfectly reasonable to not try to tell people that they have to rent out their real property if they're not using it. It's certainly much better than letting homeless people into the houses to wreck the housing's value. That would be like telling exotic car owners they have to rent out their cars to randoms since they don't drive them very much and with much the same result.

This the company you keep, landlords.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

baquerd posted:

Ehh except housing is a basic necessity and an exotic car has almost no utility. Not a great comparison.

I have no problems with expanded funding for housing programs. Not sure I’m on board with compulsory letting. I’d prefer some other type of penalty for unproductive housing.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

baquerd posted:

It's certainly much better than letting homeless people into the houses to wreck the housing's value.

its actually worse than that

quote:

No one's saying slaveowners were better than that, just that slaveowners that didn't take care of their slaves got sub-par returns over the long run. If you look at the most successful slave-owners, you would expect to see a general pattern of excellent treatment of well-behaved slaves.

lmao i clicked the av text link

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 26, 2019

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

baquerd posted:

To be clear, I was saying the combination of policies wherein you end up with markets with large amounts of empty housing and a homeless population is not a good set of policies.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jealous Cow posted:

Ehh except housing is a basic necessity and an exotic car has almost no utility. Not a great comparison.

I have no problems with expanded funding for housing programs. Not sure I’m on board with compulsory letting. I’d prefer some other type of penalty for unproductive housing.

Housing is a basic necessity, but specific housing is not. I also have no problems with expanded funding for housing programs or disincentivizing leaving houses open.

My argument is that putting some random homeless people in a free 3bed/2bath in a nice neighborhood is probably going to end with the home value turned to poo poo the same way giving some random free access to a supercar is probably going to end in an expensive repair bill. They don't have any experience dealing with the maintenance, care, and handling of the responsibility being given to them.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

baquerd posted:

Housing is a basic necessity, but specific housing is not. I also have no problems with expanded funding for housing programs or disincentivizing leaving houses open.

My argument is that putting some random homeless people in a free 3bed/2bath in a nice neighborhood is probably going to end with the home value turned to poo poo the same way giving some random free access to a supercar is probably going to end in an expensive repair bill. They don't have any experience dealing with the maintenance, care, and handling of the responsibility being given to them.

Well, we should have less 3/2 2500sqft homes in general but that’s a larger issue, and one I don’t exactly live up to. We should be building much higher density housing.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jealous Cow posted:

Well, we should have less 3/2 2500sqft homes in general but that’s a larger issue, and one I don’t exactly live up to. We should be building much higher density housing.

The funny bit about this is that in California, where this is an especially egregious problem in some places like San Francisco, the "predatory" multi-national conglomerates are the ones who want this more than anyone while it's the private homeowners preventing this.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

baquerd posted:

And not just the home itself, but likely the surrounding homes.

In other words, its the non-landlords, but landlords are an easier target.

(Actually, there are a lot of lovely landlords)

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

baquerd posted:

destroying every supercar and giant house, and making their production far less profitable? two birds one stone babyyyyyy

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

what if instead we gave everyone an electric supercar and a giant house built out of solar panels

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Thermopyle posted:

And not just the home itself, but likely the surrounding homes.

In other words, its the non-landlords, but landlords are an easier target.

(Actually, there are a lot of lovely landlords)

The way you implicitly demonize homeless people here is telling.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Thermopyle posted:

what if instead we gave everyone an electric supercar and a giant house built out of solar panels

How about a super van, but put solar panels on that instead of doing a house? two birds one stone babyyyyyy

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Thermopyle posted:

well anyway, thats another thing thats better served by good policy

I think it would be extremely easy actually, because any action taken to fix that imbalance will inevitably require great financial sacrifice from landlords, which they are unwilling to do. that is born out by the fact that we exist in a system that has created these material conditions and sustains itself. if landlords in this thread wanted to change that system, they would, i don't know, do something about it.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Ruzihm posted:

we have a vast inventory of empty housing units

Congratulations, you've stumbled upon an argument as worthless as "taxation is theft."

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Where I live the city's main landlords organize politically and buy politicians to protect their control over slum housing and they also interfere with oversight that would require them to fix problems like black mold and collapsed ceilings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXJo0A9pUR0

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

tagesschau posted:

Congratulations, you've stumbled upon an argument as worthless as "taxation is theft."

where would we be without our vast inventory of empty houses? I should be more appreciative to the people who keep them that way :hmmyes:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Kobayashi posted:

The way you implicitly demonize homeless people here is telling.

I don't see how you can get that out of what I said.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Karl Barks posted:

I think it would be extremely easy actually, because any action taken to fix that imbalance will inevitably require great financial sacrifice from landlords,

I don't think that follows. Or rather, I don't think it follows from what I was claiming.

To be explicit, I don't think most landlords ITT think its good that we ended up with a set of policies in some places that both lead to homlessness and lead to high rates of vacant homes.

Likely, landlords would rather have a property generating income by renting to people who themselves have good incomes instead of owning vacant homes.

This is a different claim from saying landlords ITT would favor taking actions from this point forward that caused them to lose money.

Additionally, I don't think it follows that policies that reduce homelessness AND the amount of vacant homes requires financial sacrifice on the part of landlords.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 26, 2019

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
This is your friendly reminder that to hit the top 1% in total wealth you need to have over ten million dollars. People posting in this thread typically have 0-2 rental properties (hi! I joined this thread because I was considering renting out a single room in my only home!). In most markets that wouldn't even qualify you for top 5%; in plenty it wouldn't even crack the top 10%.

You can feel free to be mad at the crabs at the top of the bucket, but you really should be wondering who the gently caress put us in this bucket and reserved the rest of the ocean for themselves.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This is your friendly reminder that to hit the top 1% in total wealth you need to have over ten million dollars. People posting in this thread typically have 0-2 rental properties (hi! I joined this thread because I was considering renting out a single room in my only home!). In most markets that wouldn't even qualify you for top 5%; in plenty it wouldn't even crack the top 10%.

You can feel free to be mad at the crabs at the top of the bucket, but you really should be wondering who the gently caress put us in this bucket and reserved the rest of the ocean for themselves.

The top 1% rely on the next 9% to uphold the system and gaslight the bottom 90% that all is fine.

https://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/559130/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

lol as if the very instant a bill was floated that would expropriate the rental properties of the top 1% you wouldn't rally around them in bourgeois solidarity.