Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monk E
May 19, 2009
So my 3dsxl's a button stopped working and I'm debating between getting a 2ds or springing for an xl I'm fine with a smaller screen but is the normal 2ds's contol pad noticeably smaller? I really like how the controller feels on 3dsxl and I never had a normal 3ds so I don't really know how similar they are offhand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Chinook posted:

"Switch" would be a bad name for a portable only thing, though.

Yeah, they'll be called the Nintendo Top and Bottom.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Chronojam posted:

Wall Street Journal via Polygon could only be worse if Forbes was somehow involved

WSJ is usually the most accurate videogame reporting site because they're designed for investors so they can't do clickbait style WILL NINTENDO PUT THIS CHARACTER IN SMASH? headlines

There is a PS4, PS4 Slim, and PS4 Pro and they all sell very well. I think if anything more and more console manufacturers are realizing that they can get people to double dip if they cater to them.

Personally my wife wants a switch for some handheld games (Possibly Pokemon) and would probably never play it on console mode so I would possibly get a second cheaper version depending what "Cheaper" means.

jivjov posted:

My wife wants a Switch, so if they release a portable only one, I'll get that for her. Or if they release a "Pro" version I'll get that for myself and give her my OG model.

My wife

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Chinook posted:

"Switch" would be a bad name for a portable only thing, though.

I imagine it's more like "Hey you can still switch between console and handheld but you have to buy a dock and controller separately"

Like I cannot imagine they make a switch that doesn't plug into docks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Also if you make a Switch with no joycons it'll make a couple of games outright-unplayable because they expect a single JoyCon being detached.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

WSJ is usually the most accurate videogame reporting site because they're designed for investors so they can't do clickbait style WILL NINTENDO PUT THIS CHARACTER IN SMASH? headlines

But they were the publication that spurred the first rumor of a Switch revision that was recently shot down by president Nintendo, and this article seems even flimsier than the last

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also if you make a Switch with no joycons it'll make a couple of games outright-unplayable because they expect a single JoyCon being detached.

I'm not sure how you can look at the history of nintendo and think they wouldn't push forward with something like this regardless. They'll put on the box "works with most switch games, except ones that require multiple controllers" or something.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Monk E posted:

So my 3dsxl's a button stopped working and I'm debating between getting a 2ds or springing for an xl I'm fine with a smaller screen but is the normal 2ds's contol pad noticeably smaller? I really like how the controller feels on 3dsxl and I never had a normal 3ds so I don't really know how similar they are offhand.

Fixing it might not be that hard.

But geez is the 2ds gaaarbage as far as its control pad goes. It's way cheaper than the XL for a reason, and that reason is it controls like rear end and shouldn't be used for much beyond Pokemon.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

All the 3DS models have pretty poo poo dpads in awkward positions. The old 2DS probably has the best one of the lot.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nintendo will easily sacrifice compatibility with "a few" Switch games in order to make a $150 handheld that supports the 1000+ Switch titles that do work fine in handheld mode.

Sure, dock and Bluetooth support would be great, but if adding those capabilities pushes handheld-Switch's price point much north of $150 they will get dropped. The goal of the handheld switch is not to replicate the current model's console/portable hybrid, but to replace the aging 3DS platform with a handheld that's compatible with the majority of titles in the Switch's now-vast library. But it needs to be cheap enough for parents to buy one for each of their kids. Frankly, dock/Bluetooth compatibility just isn't important for that market.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

an actual dog posted:

I'm not sure how you can look at the history of nintendo and think they wouldn't push forward with something like this regardless. They'll put on the box "works with most switch games, except ones that require multiple controllers" or something.
The back cover of all Switch games already states what control schemes are supported. If a handheld-only model is released they may make such notices more prominent, but it's something that already exists.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Rename the Switch to be the Switch Pro or what have you to prevent confusion.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It should be the Super Switch

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

They made a bunch of 3DSs that don't have 3D

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

3D was never as important to the 3DS as being able to swap between TV and handheld mode on the fly is to the Switch.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Is it, though?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

homeless snail posted:

Is it, though?

No. They could totally do a handheld only one since many people already play handheld only. Some games wouldn’t work but so what?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

homeless snail posted:

Is it, though?

Yes

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't see the point. It's gonna have a USB C port in it to charge. There's no point in cutting off essential functionality. Selling it without a dock, sure.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

nintendo has no qualms about selling you a controller that works for 1 in 10 games or a game that won't work on 9 of 10 controllers

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't see the point. It's gonna have a USB C port in it to charge.
There's more to running docked than just having a USB-C port. The Switch itself runs at a higher performance profile and has greater cooling needs. We don't know yet if the handheld model is running on the same Tegra X1, but if it's possible for Nintendo to support the handheld profile without actively cooling, that's a major cost and "sturdiness" win. Supporting docked usage would also require Bluetooth.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

an actual dog posted:

You'll just have to buy spare joycons and a charger.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Spellman posted:

But they were the publication that spurred the first rumor of a Switch revision that was recently shot down by president Nintendo, and this article seems even flimsier than the last

Do you honestly think they would outright say they have a revision planned when they don't plan on releasing it soon? That would guarantee hardware sales freezing for the current model.

Plus, this isn't the first time Nintendo has outright lied like that to journalists. So you really shouldn't be taking them at their word.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Dr. Fetus posted:

Do you honestly think they would outright say they have a revision planned when they don't plan on releasing it soon? That would guarantee hardware sales freezing for the current model.

Plus, this isn't the first time Nintendo has outright lied like that to journalists. So you really shouldn't be taking them at their word.

I don't trust Nintendo's statements to journalists. I also do not trust analysts and rumors. The only truth is the Nintendo Direct

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Eurogamer is backing up the WSJ report so things are looking more likely.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm ready to be disappointed about the additional power of the Super Switch

Guess we'll hear about them at e3

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

voltcatfish posted:

I'm ready to be disappointed about the additional power of the Super Switch

Guess we'll hear about them at e3

I’d be really satisfied with something approaching base PS4 level but I’m someone that thinks the current Switch is fine performance wise.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The Super Switch contains a series of docks that you stack up to 10 3DSs and GBAs into and it will absorb their processing power

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’d be really satisfied with something approaching base PS4 level but I’m someone that thinks the current Switch is fine performance wise.

well I feel graphics have definitely long gotten "good enough" on every console, but I'll take no more stuttering and none of that fuzzy handheld mode stuff like Xenoblade 2 had on a potential super switch

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

Regardless of the truth of these current rumors, anyone who thinks Nintendo would do anything but deny rumors of new hardware as long as possible needs to read up on the Osborne effect.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

If they do this every single indie release will run like poo poo on the base model Switch so it's a terrible idea that I hope never comes to pass.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’d be really satisfied with something approaching base PS4 level

:thunk: no poo poo

enjoy your burnt hands

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Thank you I will look into fixing it but if it doesn't work out I will go for an XL that said I have a few games that can work around the bad button so I'm planning on waiting to see if the places by me end up dumping their's on discount at some point.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Monk E posted:

Thank you I will look into fixing it but if it doesn't work out I will go for an XL that said I have a few games that can work around the bad button so I'm planning on waiting to see if the places by me end up dumping their's on discount at some point.

Given Nintendo's 3DS buttons, generally the first thing is "disassemble enough to get to the actual switch, then blast canned air at it". They tend to get crud stuck inside that just makes the sensor not work right.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Anecdotal, but of the three families I know who bought a Switch for their kids, none of them ever play it docked on the TV. To them it's basically a tablet that plays Nintendo games.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
I almost never take my switch on the go, since if I'm away my partner might want to use it. But I also really have no use for two dockable switches, so a cheaper portable-only switch with less features is pretty much exactly what I want.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

If they make a portable-only Switch I'm curious what they'll do with the name (since being able to switch between TV console and handheld is the point in the name) although it's not as essential as having to change the 3DS name when they released 2D-only units, I guess.

It definitely cuts both ways, with my 4 year-old we usually play on the TV since he needs a parent to help him (loving scrub) especially with reading, and is also obsessed with us watching him do things. We also have a 2DS which is more of the go-to for traveling since it has a few exclusives not on Switch that he plays, like Detective Pikachu and Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My son had me play his new level in Super Mario Maker for 3DS last night and he's actually getting good at making these.

They take forever to load though because he's made over 120 levels since Christmas.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yes I do think the same thing that just happened will happen again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Spellman posted:

Yes I do think the same thing that just happened will happen again

What "thing" are you referring to, because it is not obvious to me what you mean by this