Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

rogers does the thing where they obsolete the plan you're on every six months or so. good luck comparing the set of features on your bill with the ones on our list of services

also everything's on a "two year contract" now, which means on day 731 they're jacking your rates

except for the stuff that's month-to-month, that stuff they jack up whenever they feel like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

flakeloaf posted:

rogers does the thing where they obsolete the plan you're on every six months or so. good luck comparing the set of features on your bill with the ones on our list of services

also everything's on a "two year contract" now, which means on day 731 they're jacking your rates

except for the stuff that's month-to-month, that stuff they jack up whenever they feel like it

When I was with Time Warner month-to-month they would raise the price every month until I called in and got a two-year plan. Then when so got the two-year plan with the locked-in rate they started raising the price of the modem rental a buck or so every other month...

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Shame Boy posted:

it either requires very good facial recognition and indexing or it requires you to install the app and let it track your location through the store (and in at least one case spy on you with the camera lmao) and correlate all the information and then have the person running the register actually, y'know, give a poo poo

or offering free wifi/sniffing for other wireless signals from your phone/fitbit/wireless headphones

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
i've had spectrum in florida for about 2 years now, and can't access my account online because their website says they don't offer services in my zip code

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

A woman I knew who managed a Verizon call center said that once you bought a triple play package they put you on poo poo tier tech support since they had nothing new to sell you.

lol

makes sense tho

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
finally, gig-economy driver partners can get their cars fixed at the company store

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

wouldn’t it be easier just to reimburse your drivers per mileage they drive, cause even repairs at half price sound like a raw deal without that compensation

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FMguru posted:

at no point in that document does the word "peaker" show up. thats the cost for brand new gas

gas peakers are a specialized kind of gas plant - plants held in reserve against sudden surges, ready to go immediately online in case a bunch of plants go down or a transmission junction fails or you get a record consumption day. theyre the last line of defense to keep a grid from being overtaxed. theyre modern gas plants and theyre staffed and maintained and ready to begin producing at 100% on five minutes notice. they cost almost as much to run as a regular gas plant, but they produce power only a fraction of the time (some peaker plants produce electricity for less than an hour a year). its the most expensive energy imaginable but theyre necessary to meet demand on the toughest day of the year. the lcoe of peakers is usually 3x-4x as expensive as ordinary gas

the 2018 lazard lcoe review has ordinary cc gas at $41-$74, and peaker gas at $152-$206

if i was king of america i'd overbuild the poo poo out of capacity and use carbon capture plants to suck up excess supply.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

My Linux Rig posted:

wouldn’t it be easier just to reimburse your drivers per mileage they drive, cause even repairs at half price sound like a raw deal without that compensation

"easier" but like, diametrically opposed to their entire business model

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

if i was king of america i'd overbuild the poo poo out of capacity and use carbon capture plants to suck up excess supply.

And use the carbon capture plants to balance demand elsewhere.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
if I was king of America, i would do my part to solve climate change by nuking America

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

my client is instituting a global production freeze in anticipation of brexit so buckle up chucklefucks

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
https://twitter.com/somospostpc/status/1110563865140649986

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

if only there was a solution to opening car doors

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
*rubs phone sensually on car* come on baby, open up

My Linux Rig fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 26, 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

My Linux Rig posted:

*rubs phone sensationally

i think we need to have a chat about your technique

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

infernal machines posted:

i think we need to have a chat about your technique

god drat it, this is what I get for being illiterate

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
don't not be evil

https://twitter.com/farbandish/status/1110617061493895169

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

sheev palpatine of the planet naboo
Jizz-wailer Max Rebo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

impressive.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
loving lol

https://twitter.com/farbandish/status/1110624709308121088

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lol we're dead

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
wait a few days, then add the responsible AI development council to the google project murder list

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
they hired the most powerful bigot they could find to see if they could extend bigotry to AIs

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's never been done before

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we've known for years that computers can create racist/sexist outcomes far more efficiently than any human, but could they truly hate?

this is the future

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 26, 2019

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

My Linux Rig posted:

what the hell is dzt
dzt nuts, be0tch

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Not a Children posted:

Battery tech is one of those finnicky things that I'm scared will not continue to scale down, what with rare earth metals being a depletable resource. If it continues in this direction, though, it could be industry changing as far as making offset solar/wind viable for a large portion of baseline power.

the cost of new battery tech dropping is a direct result of reducing the amount of rare earth elements needed to build them

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
tbh the purpose of that committee isn't to actually do anything, its to allow for plausible deniability and deflection of criticism so they need a nice "diverse" set of members to make everyone happy from various angles

having the beltway bandits make the government happier about contracting with you
having the conservatives gives you some ability to deflect attacks of "liberal bias/fake news/etc"
having academics gives it the appearance of rigor for liberals and other academics
etc

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

New Christine remake looking good

starring self driving google car as Christine
Microsoft Tay as voice of Christine
Real doll Randy 3N-2T as zuckerberg

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

That one Pigface song that Trent Reznor did lyrics on, but he says "zuck zuck zuck" and the song is actually about selling hate speech

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Nfcknblvbl posted:

the cost of new battery tech dropping is a direct result of reducing the amount of rare earth elements needed to build them
also the battery chemistry works for materials other than lithium/cobalt - thats just the combination that's most cost efficient

if cobalt becomes too rare/expensive, they can swap in something else

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My Linux Rig posted:

if I was king of America, i would do my part to solve climate change by nuking America

if I was King of America, I would invade America and win the American people's hearts and minds by ousting their corrupt government and building roads and bridges

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Also I finally picked up Bad Blood and am about halfway through it. Wowie zowie.

I actually did the little "hold book a little further away, adjust glasses in shock" bit when I got to the part where they were doing quality control on their machines by running the tests over and over until they gave the desired result, then using that one

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I can't even

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

Also I finally picked up Bad Blood and am about halfway through it. Wowie zowie.

I actually did the little "hold book a little further away, adjust glasses in shock" bit when I got to the part where they were doing quality control on their machines by running the tests over and over until they gave the desired result, then using that one
my favorite moment was when safeway was halfway through their $400million buildout of instore health testing centers (built around theranos devices) and the machine is still described as "an eighth graders science project"

the thing is theranos-style blood devices do exist and have for quite some time. its just theyre 1) the size of an industrial freezer, 2) require multiple vials of professionally drawn blood to operate, and 3) cost millions of dollars and 4) require weekly professional maintenance and calibration. making a gizmo that can do "insert blood -> bzzt humm clunk beep -> output accurate readings" is a solved problem - it just cant be done with something the size and price of an ipod

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

they hired the most powerful bigot they could find to see if they could extend bigotry to AIs

Can’t have the AI being too sympathetic to the plight of the poor. Things could get bad for the elite if the banking AI sets its empathy and solidarity to 255.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

lancemantis posted:

tbh the purpose of that committee isn't to actually do anything, its to allow for plausible deniability and deflection of criticism so they need a nice "diverse" set of members to make everyone happy from various angles

having the beltway bandits make the government happier about contracting with you
having the conservatives gives you some ability to deflect attacks of "liberal bias/fake news/etc"
having academics gives it the appearance of rigor for liberals and other academics
etc

the committee is there to green light anything google wants to do while taking the blame for any unpopular stuff that gets called out. a heritage foundation hack is imminently qualified for that.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FMguru posted:

the thing is theranos-style blood devices do exist and have for quite some time. its just theyre 1) the size of an industrial freezer, 2) require multiple vials of professionally drawn blood to operate, and 3) cost millions of dollars and 4) require weekly professional maintenance and calibration. making a gizmo that can do "insert blood -> bzzt humm clunk beep -> output accurate readings" is a solved problem - it just cant be done with something the size and price of an ipod

Yeah the impression I'm getting is that they actually could have built a product that did the whole range of tests they were proposing in an accurate manner. A machine that did everything in one box still sounds better than the alternative of a lab full of equipment, even if it's the size of a fridge and requires a regular vial of blood. But Holmes was just dead set on it being the size of a microwave and using a single drop and wouldn't hear anything else.

There's a quote early on that's like "don't listen to those scientists, they're always complaining" which is a sentiment I have heard a number of times from b-school Ideas Guys. It's one of the major fundamental problems with the silicon valley model of "innovation".

Also Sunny Balwani is the world's biggest rear end in a top hat, even in a place that is already lousy with assholes, holy poo poo.