Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
hell, maybe it's a stanley cup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

waah posted:

It can't be that guy though cause Col Chambers didn't fight in Korea.

With something like this it ends up being only like 15 possible people it can be because the guy has to one, earn the Congressional Medal of Honor, and two, be one of the even smaller group (about 100 people ever) to earn it and live.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Medal_of_Honor_recipients_for_the_Battle_of_Iwo_Jima

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_J._McCarthy

This guy, maybe?

e: If it is that guy then Jesus loving Christ he's got balls made of titanium

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Blade Runner posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_J._McCarthy

This guy, maybe?

e: If it is that guy then Jesus loving Christ he's got balls made of titanium

He had no children

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

he did retire as a lt. colonel, which logically is what his descendants are going to refer to him as rather than his rank during Iwo Jima

chicago is not "a very small town in the Midwest" as the OP describes, but the guy might have started fudging details when he realized that Medal of Honor recipients are very easy to internet detective

EDIT: welp. starting to suspect fake? MoH-recipient colonel in the marines who became a fighter pilot seems like a bit of a stretch

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 26, 2019

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

hell, maybe it's a stanley cup

now I'm impressed

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Schmeichy posted:

He had no children

Well I got nothing then, other than that earning a Medal of Honor in WW2 required you to pull off some loving superhero poo poo

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

CheesyDog posted:

r/legaladvice
(CA) My 15 year old daughter is pregnant and I don't want anything to do with it.
u/disappointedmom1003

This one really pisses me the gently caress off. Yes the daughter is not thinking rationally right now about keeping the baby. However this Woman is dooming her daughter to a "sub par" life if she doesn't help. I totally understand you don't want to take care of another screaming baby, but even as a 38 year old my Wife and I would be in so much worse shape if my parents didn't baby sit our little scamp 2 days a week. I get that she doesn't want to do it, but the lengths that she is going to "Am I legally obligated to take her to doctors appointments?" is loving disgusting.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1xjcyyuDM0

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SalTheBard posted:

This one really pisses me the gently caress off. Yes the daughter is not thinking rationally right now about keeping the baby. However this Woman is dooming her daughter to a "sub par" life if she doesn't help. I totally understand you don't want to take care of another screaming baby, but even as a 38 year old my Wife and I would be in so much worse shape if my parents didn't baby sit our little scamp 2 days a week. I get that she doesn't want to do it, but the lengths that she is going to "Am I legally obligated to take her to doctors appointments?" is loving disgusting.

her just not wanting to deal at all would be vaguely sympathetic until she makes totally clear that this wouldn't even represent the life-ruining hardship it would be for most people, but the difference between whether she gets to "retire early and live comfortably" or not

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Scathach posted:

For the love of god talk to your kids. The majority will be just fine and not and up pregnant regardless of what you do (or will and will be smart enough to get an abortion anyway.) Hormonal birth control is risky and not a thing I chose for myself, and your kids might not either. Condoms work just fine and if your kids don't want STDs they'll be using em anyway. Hell, by the time your daughters are in their teens they might have boyfriends on birth control so there's that. They could even get super lucky and get with someone sterile like I did and not need anything at all (woo!)

Teens are stupid but most of them escape their idiot years without babies. Unless they're Mormon, in which case congrats on your 18yo daughter's wedding to a 21yo man and your new grandbaby!

That sucks terribly for that mom. I'd be incredibly pissed that my daughter got pregnant and was dumb enough to gently caress up her life and mine by not getting an abortion. She definitely needs therapy. I can't imagine moving past that easily, and the baby didn't do anything wrong and doesn't deserve the resentment that she's definitely going to have for it.

Mom/new grandma is probably on the hook for everything and is the legal guardian of that baby since the daughter is only 15. I'm not certain (legal goons?) but I'm pretty sure in most cases the grandparent is pretty much forced to take responsibility in situations like this. On the plus side the father's parents should be too.

i think its state dependent but in ca the daughter is responsible for her own kid even @ 15. Source my sister got preg at 15 in ca.

Straight White Shark posted:

My gf [21F] has some gay friends that make me [23M] jealous.

Congrats your gf is a hag. enjoy

snergle fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 26, 2019

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Vim Fuego posted:

AITA for getting mad at my wife that we spent way too much time with her family friends on our honeymoon?

I can only picture Rod and Pete in this story as Rod Huggins and Nice Pete from Achewood. I guess Ray gave them Airwolf as a wedding/"congrats on removing Pat from your lives" gift

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

SalTheBard posted:

However this Woman is dooming her daughter to a "sub par" life if she doesn't help.
I'm pretty sure a 15 year old mom is gonna have a sub par life for a while regardless of what grandma does. It's just a terrible situation for everybody.

My wife's mom had her at 16. Not ideal.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

he did retire as a lt. colonel, which logically is what his descendants are going to refer to him as rather than his rank during Iwo Jima

chicago is not "a very small town in the Midwest" as the OP describes, but the guy might have started fudging details when he realized that Medal of Honor recipients are very easy to internet detective

EDIT: welp. starting to suspect fake? MoH-recipient colonel in the marines who became a fighter pilot seems like a bit of a stretch

Yeah, starting to look that way. 12 year old SuperMAGA probably should have tipped me off.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

christmas boots posted:

Fun fact: My grandpa was a marine on Iwo Jima also. I don't remember his rank offhand but he carried a radio and was partnered up with one of the Navajo codetalkers. My Aunt actually tracked him down about 10-15 years back. AFAIK he and my grandpa didn't really keep in touch but they were legends in each other's households.

You should request his records.

welp. starting to suspect fake? MoH-recipient colonel in the marines who became a fighter pilot seems like a bit of a stretch

Could be fake. Could just be a case of civilians being dumb and not knowing what medal is what.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Vim Fuego posted:

Hey everyone! Pete updates. He's doing really well for himself, and he's apparently given up on women entirely

AITA for getting mad at my wife that we spent way too much time with her family friends on our honeymoon?

In my mind Pete picked up that dude's wife with his helicopter and nothing you say can change my mind.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

spacetoaster posted:

Could be fake. Could just be a case of civilians being dumb and not knowing what medal is what.

I mean maybe but it seems sort of hard to mistake the actual Medal of Honor

Also I got wrapped up into reading WW2 MoH citations and loving Christ, the sheer balls on the Nazi murdering generation were amazing

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

spacetoaster posted:

Oh we have it all, I'm sure. My dad's a major WW2 buff and my Aunt really put herself into chronicling the grandparents and their history.

We've got the uniform, the medals, a Japanese bayonet he brought back, every letter he and grandma sent each other, I'd honestly be shocked if we didn't request the records at some point. He didn't really talk much about it so most of what we know had to be compiled through other sources. It's all there, I've just never committed it to memory.

Blade Runner posted:

Also I got wrapped up into reading WW2 MoH citations and loving Christ, the sheer balls on the Nazi murdering generation were amazing

When you're playing the Nazi murder game, no one wants to look like they're phoning it in.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Blade Runner posted:

They arent all as such. My grandpa knocked up a random before going off to war and never kept ties. Also possibly knocked up a french woman. Got a purple heart by taking a "one in a million" butt bullet while standing on a boat a mile offshore. (Allegedly)

When the war ended in Europe he was going to get shipped to the Pacific theater. He hatched a master plan to jump off the train while getting sent from the coast to coast in the US but the boat went around Africa instead. Luckily Japan got nuked before he saw combat

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Willfrey posted:

They arent all as such. My grandpa knocked up a random before going off to war and never kept ties. Also possibly knocked up a french woman. Got a purple heart by taking a "one in a million" butt bullet while standing on a boat a mile offshore. (Allegedly)

When the war ended in Europe he was going to get shipped to the Pacific theater. He hatched a master plan to jump off the train while getting sent from the coast to coast in the US but the boat went around Africa instead. Luckily Japan got nuked before he saw combat

Yeah but the counterpoint to this is that Daniel Inouye by himself had more than enough balls to make up for every coward in the entire war

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

spacetoaster posted:

You'd think the museum he donated it to would probably have tipped him off, though

If it is true he's probably a bit hazy on the details

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SalTheBard posted:

She's a bad mom, no doubt

I would absolutely tell my daughter all of these same things to get her to not keep the baby but they would be lies. They're not lies in this case

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

AskReddit: How do I make my daughter think having an abortion is her idea?

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

Hey dude, hadn't seen you around in a while.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

waah posted:

Edit: I dunno I just did a quick search to narrow down the guy, but unless there are some family tall tales and/or civilian misunderstanding there is no one who meets all of those things the OP is talking about.

The one I thought was this guy, but he didn't fight in Korea and didn't fly.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justice_M._Chambers

How long does it take to kill fitty men?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Salty Josh posted:

Hey dude, hadn't seen you around in a while.
I can't keep up with this ridiculously fast moving thread, it's grown far beyond what I can do. I've spent months with 1000 unread posts not catching up, but here I am, skipping a bunch.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Inception 2

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

I like how the mom is all "But I've been having her watch Teen Mom why isn't that helping???"

Like holy gently caress lady maybe the reason she's making the stupid decision to keep the pregnancy is because your idiocy rubbed off on her. Watching shows about how kids get famous and loved by popping out an underage baby may not be the answer.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Re the pregnant 15 year old, my money is on her being an unwanted child based on what the op states

"I have two children. My daughter is off at college. The youngest is 15, turning 16 in May, and still lives with us and attends high school. "
Could just be a slip but the oldest is "my daughter" and the other is "the youngest". Tie it in with moms early retirement plans and being an unexpected baby herself and I think there is a lot more baggage than on the surface. I would bet money the youngest has been resented All her life leading to this moment

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
What’s worse: cheating or snooping?

quote:

There’s this guy my (m24) girlfriend (24) has been talking to a lot lately via snapchat. I’ve had a weird feeling about it, as she used to have a crush on him, but decided to not say anything about it so as to not seem controlling. My gf, who I live with, recently took a girls trip to Nola. I know how she gets flirty when she drinks. She was sending me snaps from that night of her in a very revealing outfit, and the whole time, I couldn’t help but wonder if she was sending those same snaps to him.

So, I snooped on her phone…yep, turns out she sexted him while in nola. On top of that, she said that it says a lot about our relationship that she was willing to cheat on me (which is bullshit, it says nothing about our relationship, only her) and that she is thinking about leaving me. We have had a good time since she’s been home, but I do not know if she is still snapping this guy nor if she still wants to leave me. I want to confront her about cheating on me, but I know she’ll lie to me. What she doesn’t know is that I know the answer anyway, but the only way for me to expose her is by exposing myself as a snooper. So…which is worse: cheating or snooping? If she finds out I read her private messages, will that somehow be a bigger issue than her cheating?

Tl;dr: I snooped on my gf and found out she cheated on me on a recent trip. Do I confront her about it, and if she denies it, do I tell her I know she did because I snooped?

Which was the real crime?

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

I guess you kinda have to ask what the liability is on "kid about to seriously gently caress up their and probably your life in a way you can't possibly stop" because while the mother is just a straight awful person, I really am curious how far the "you have to take responsibility for your kids' retarded actions, forever, morally" thing goes

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Yeah the whole "I think my daughter wants to keep the baby to trap the boyfriend into loving her" really points to an unloved daughter. A lot of girls have babies young because they think the guy will fall in love with them or the baby will give them unconditional love they don't have.

loving therapy. Get it.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Blade Runner posted:

I guess you kinda have to ask what the liability is on "kid about to seriously gently caress up their and probably your life in a way you can't possibly stop" because while the mother is just a straight awful person, I really am curious how far the "you have to take responsibility for your kids' retarded actions, forever, morally" thing goes

i guess i would say 'until you cannot, or doing so will hurt your other kids or dependents.' but this lady can, she just doesnt wanna

Mushmouth
Feb 21, 2004
Urban Tumbleweed

gently caress Your Website posted:

Uh no, this is India, the parents aren’t obsessed with romcoms and pop culture horseshit so much as seeing their children as extensions of themselves who need to fall in line with the arranged marriages set up for them or be excommunicated from the family forever. This isn’t even rare.

Classist, but close.

I was being expansive. It was a nice way of saying they were possibly jealous of their love since, from how it sounds, they didn't get a choice in their pairing (from what I've seen of similar posts on here).

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

christmas boots posted:

What’s worse: cheating or snooping?

Which was the real crime?

Why not just break up and not talk to her anymore? Jesus, people love to keep themselves in miserable situations.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

i guess i would say 'until you cannot, or doing so will hurt your other kids or dependents.' but this lady can, she just doesnt wanna

I mean I don't think the drug comparison I made before is really that far off in how much this is going to loving destroy this kid's life, especially with a mother who just blatantly seems to hate her, and while that was blatantly hyperbolic on my part and I don't actually think they're equivalent, I'm honestly curious about what you'd want the parents to do if the kid was getting into drugs pretty bad and just refusing rehab or anything

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Mushmouth posted:

I was being expansive. It was a nice way of saying they were possibly jealous of their love since, from how it sounds, they didn't get a choice in their pairing (from what I've seen of similar posts on here).

the op of that post said right in the post that the reasons his parents werent down with it was, drumrolllll, her caste

read the posts maybe

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Also I consider caste prejudice to be more racism than classism because that's basically just what Indian classism is after a certain point due to their utterly non-existent social mobility structure and the nature of the prejudice therein

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

AITA for drinking in front of sober people?

quote:

Recently I was at an airbnb with my boyfriend, and he invited his friend over to help him on a work project we were in town for. It was a small space so we were all sitting together, and I had no where else to hang out so I was just on my phone not contributing to the conversation since it was work related. My boyfriend has never had a drink in his life (parents were alcoholics so he never touched it, but is ok with me drinking around him). I didn't know his friend, so I offered her a glass of wine since I knew we'd be there for a while and I was getting kinda bored. She replied with a very quick "I'm sober." I guess she had recently quit drinking, since I had heard her earlier telling drinking stories. I then asked, "Would I be an rear end in a top hat if I had a glass of wine?" already on my way to the kitchen. My boyfriend politely said "of course not", and she basically cut him off with "Yes."

I sat back down and ended up not having a drink feeling guilty for even suggesting it, but I was pretty point blank told I would have been an rear end in a top hat if I did. I'd especially like to know from the non-drinkers of reddit, is it assholeish to drink in front of you?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
caste while its technically not a legal thing as far as discrimination goes in india is still a big loving deal in practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Blade Runner posted:

I mean I don't think the drug comparison I made before is really that far off in how much this is going to loving destroy this kid's life, especially with a mother who just blatantly seems to hate her, and while that was blatantly hyperbolic on my part and I don't actually think they're equivalent, I'm honestly curious about what you'd want the parents to do if the kid was getting into drugs pretty bad and just refusing rehab or anything

honestly? i dont really know. i can certainly see the similarities between the two situations w/r/t bodily autonomy, but i havent thought enough about the intersection of drugs, refusing rehab, and being a minor to form a well thought out opinion. there was a post on legal advice this morning that had me thinking along the same lines of when it could be acceptable to take someones choices about their body away from them- a guy who was told he has a very treatable cancer, but has wanted to die for decades and so is choosing not to treat it. his family is attempting to legally force him to be treated by claiming he is not in his right mind to refuse. personally i think the right to decide when you die is pretty fundamental, and i guess it would follow that so is the right to gently caress up your life, if you dont harm others in doing so? but really i dont know. its a pretty complex ethical question