Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Joe Slowboat posted:

Is Dawkins the same as 'The Gentleman Gamer' ?
Because I know nothing about said person other than that they're involved with Onyx Path these days, and that handle gives off a truly malign aura.

He's had that nickname/online persona far longer than recent lovely events that have maligned either of those G-words. His thing is/was making youtube videos where he put on the persona of an old-school British gentleman (in the Victorian sense, without full Victorian cosplay) talking 'bout WoD (and other RPG) stuff. Much of which was actually pretty good, as youtube content talking 'bout RPGs goes, it's worth checking out his stuff if you care about that sort of thing (which most wouldn't be here in this thread if they didn't to some degree).

Basically, just trying to say he isn't a bad'un, and I feel bad that he got screwed over with his Beckett's Guide when nuwolf forced edits on it to make it more v5 compatible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Oh, did he do Beckett's Guide? I'm not an OWoD fan but I've heard good things about that book, so... that's nice I guess?

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

Anyone else on here back the Contagion Chronicle kickstarter? I can't really say the new splats are grabbing me yet, but I'm curious what y'all think.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Does anyone know how Changeling Clarity interacts with Demon cover?

I seem to remember it giving them some ability to see through illusions. Am I just misunderstanding what it's supposed to represent?

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 26, 2019

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Demonic Cover isn't really an illusion, so I'm going to say that kenning does nothing.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Arashiofordo3 posted:

I seem to remember it giving them some ability to see through illusions. Am I just misunderstanding what it's supposed to represent?

Changelings can see through each others' Masks. Cover is not an illusion or mask, and is explicitly able to beat even dedicated supernatural-sensing powers a lot of the time via the spoofing rules. Whenever a Demon's cover gets scanned by anything that detects supernatural beings, they can roll their Cover rating to make themselves read as a normal human.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Yeah, unless a demon's cover is paper-thin they're going to read as human.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Great, thanks for the clarification

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
e: Beaten, but yeah, there are explicit, mechanical rules for what happens when a supernatural ability "scans" a Demon to see whether they're a supernatural being or not; it's not 100% foolproof, but it also takes priority over things that would normally just work. See page 112 for the rules on spoofing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

FrostyPox posted:

My bare-bones idea was to gently caress with the Mage setting a little bit and have each "watchtower" be the cornerstone of a different realm, all connect to the Dark Tower which is the metaphysical structural support of all realities. The Crimson King would've been some Lovecraftian deity imprisoned in the basement of the Dark Tower, which is connected to the Abyss, but he escaped and is climbing the Tower, corrupting realities as he climbs, with his ultimate goal of reaching the top and destroying the tower, thus allowing the Abyss to rise and consume everything.

And then :effort:

I might steal some of that if I end up running my own take on it.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Octavo posted:

Anyone else on here back the Contagion Chronicle kickstarter? I can't really say the new splats are grabbing me yet, but I'm curious what y'all think.

Threw five bucks in for the manuscript previews, expect to withdraw them before the campaign concludes unless the material surprises me. So far, with the first manuscript preview, completely unsurprised. I left the end of the first manuscript preview for the Contagion Chronicle, which explores the ten central factions defined by their response to the Contagion, not knowing what the Contagion is or what it does, and that's the same feeling all the other preview material I've seen has left me with. The faction stuff is flat and doesn't interest me in the least, and I certainly don't really want to read any more CofD material about an organization of vampires, mages, and beasts with a global surveillance network called Caliber. The faction names are cutesy and forced (the Zero Hour? the Crucible Initiative? the Machiavelli Gambit?). The references to the God-Machine are stilted and insubstantial, lacking that ground's-eye view that focused on what it does rather than what it is. There's a high proportion of first-person expositional narration, WoD-style.

It's all kind of comic-booky so far.

Arashiofordo3 posted:

You're probably thinking of kenning, the ability of changelings with healthy Clarity to detect supernatural beings and effects. A successful kenning roll would probably be able to identify that a demon is in some way supernatural, if the demon fails her natural spoofing roll, which demons use to fool senses that identify them as supernatural. Judging by dice pools and Willpower cost (kenning has one, spoofing doesn't), a demon with a stable Cover has the advantage in the exchange.

Rand Brittain posted:

Demonic Cover isn't really an illusion, so I'm going to say that kenning does nothing.

Kenning has nothing to do with illusions. It just senses supernatural phenomena. A demon who's not using Going Native is a supernatural being, just one that's really good at hiding it and blocking detection.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 26, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Do CofD writers get royalties for the sale of books they wrote, or other revenue based on ongoing sales?

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Octavo posted:

Yeah.

I wasn't expecting much from the first chapter but was pleasantly surprised. We'd seen three groups spoiled on the blog, the Cryptocracy, the Jeremiad, and the Crucible Initiative. None of them really grabbed me. I think it was the Gentleman Gamer who name dropped the others. I really like Zero Hour, the Rosetta Society from the Sworn, and Naglfar's Army and the Machiavelli Gambit from the False. Nice goals, easy to play or put in, can see myself playing or running members from them. That's a relief.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Demon and Changeling cooperation is always fascinating to me because both splats are engaging with paranoia on some level: Dealing with the ever-present fear that a nigh-omnipotent enemy that you were once a servitor of will find and recapture you.

A Winter Court Changeling is, theoretically, a Demon's best friend; They can provide access to the Hedge, where the God Machine has no power, and can magically enforce bonds of allegiance, mitigating the risk of betrayal, while a Demon is an enormously potent asset as backup. The issue is, of course, getting two fidgety, paranoid covert operatives to trust each other.

EDIT: Geists/Ghosts, also. The fact that the Hedge doesn't have a twilight, so all ghosts just instantly manifest whether they have that ability or not (And Geist makes it clear that the number of ghosts who can do that is pretty low). Getting able to become visible/tangible is a big deal for spookies and their continued existence.

Crasical fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 26, 2019

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Do CofD writers get royalties for the sale of books they wrote, or other revenue based on ongoing sales?

No.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Any chance I could get a list of all ten Contagion Chronicle factions? I'm morbidly curious whether they do in fact all sound like relatively low-effort MMO factions.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Thanks. Digging up rules references and so on reminded me that I still need to think about whether I'll ever run Demon again, but at least that takes "material support to awful people" off the table.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Joe Slowboat posted:

Any chance I could get a list of all ten Contagion Chronicle factions? I'm morbidly curious whether they do in fact all sound like relatively low-effort MMO factions.

There's only eight. Five Sworn, the Cryptocracy, the Jeremiad, the Rosetta Society, Ship of Theseus, and the Zero Hour. And three False, the Crucible Initiative, the Machiavelli Gambit, and Naglfar's Army.

They've been name-dropped on the forum before.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

The heck does the Ship of Theseus problem have to do with extrauniversal plagues?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Okay, from reading into the Introduction after pledging for $5, the factions don't explain what the Contagion is because it's a "no canon answer" kind of thing.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

quote:

The Ship of Theseus is a philosophical problem we took as our guiding principle. It poses the question: how many parts of a thing can you change or replace before it is no longer the same thing? In our case, how much could a monster change before she is no longer a monster? In the end, we embraced the uncertainty of having no firm solution as a sign of our work having meaning. Definitive answers breed complacency.
The Theseans of Darwin’s time wrote essays and dissertations on the subject, before disbanding like the others. During another outbreak in the 1990s, when the upheavals of global terrorism, new technologies, and disruption theory were on the rise, we revisited these writings and rekindled the pact.

They think the Contagion is emblematic of situational factors changing, or maybe the symptoms of the cosmos itself evolving, and view it as a pressure to evolve themselves. They're the Crossover Ordo.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I'm not really even sure what the distinction is between the Sworn and the False. I mean, I know what it says: Sworn fight Contagion, False embrace it on some level. But the Crucible Initiative of the False seems like it's all about fighting the Contagion, whereas the Ship of Theseus don't really seem like they care much.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Joe Slowboat posted:

The heck does the Ship of Theseus problem have to do with extrauniversal plagues?

Basically that while sometimes change can be scary it's not necessarily something you have to freak out and fight against as much as something to adapt to. It's like what the covenants do in vampire, you can either fall into your worst impulses, try to deny anything's happened, but the best idea is to accept that This Is Happening and find a way to live with it.

I Am Just a Box posted:

I'm not really even sure what the distinction is between the Sworn and the False. I mean, I know what it says: Sworn fight Contagion, False embrace it on some level. But the Crucible Initiative of the False seems like it's all about fighting the Contagion, whereas the Ship of Theseus don't really seem like they care much.

"The Initiative employs a scorched earth policy when it comes to the Contagion. Raze it all to the ground, burn the fields, salt the earth. We destroy all Contagious on sight, as well as anything or anyone that is infected, that could possibly be infected, or that could potentially be a vector."

nofather fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 26, 2019

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

Okay, from reading into the Introduction after pledging for $5, the factions don't explain what the Contagion is because it's a "no canon answer" kind of thing.

Right, but the God-Machine Chronicle spent a very good introduction chapter explaining what form the God-Machine's machinations take and what effect they have on people without settling on a firm answer for what it Truly Is or Comes From. You still come away with an idea of what the God-Machine does (Fortean conspiratorial high strangeness) and a sense of the tone of its motives (control and mysterious arcane alignments).

What does the Contagion do? What does it look like when the Contagion strikes? In what situations does it strike? How does that differ from any other miscellaneous antagonist, what gives it a little definition and flavor? The book gives us eight factions (my bad, not ten, fooled by expecting a pattern that was broken!) brought together and defined by their response to the wake of the Contagion without first characterizing the wake of the Contagion.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It seems like it would be really difficult to have an entire chronicle when the driving force behind the events is a giant Mario question block.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Mors Rattus posted:

It seems like it would be really difficult to have an entire chronicle when the driving force behind the events is a giant Mario question block.

Didn't they make a movie about that?

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

I Am Just a Box posted:

What does the Contagion do? What does it look like when the Contagion strikes? In what situations does it strike? How does that differ from any other miscellaneous antagonist, what gives it a little definition and flavor? The book gives us eight factions (my bad, not ten, fooled by expecting a pattern that was broken!) brought together and defined by their response to the wake of the Contagion without first characterizing the wake of the Contagion.

The campaign description says that's explained in other chapters.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

good to know that organizational layout remains a mystery beyond human ken, at least

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Casual Encountess posted:

so i’m running my first irl game of v5 vampire hopefully this summer and i just got the core rulebook since i haven’t touched this stuff in years. i’m playing with a bunch of people who have d&d experience but have only heard the ww horror stories.

i have a group of solid, socially well adjusted people who i think will do well in the setting but i’m trying to figure out what creepy stuff to skip. my players don’t mind tension and hosed up things but i’m not really comfortable doing any kind of super in depth feeding scenes because that can be kind of dangerous territory. are there any other kind of accepted house rules to make this game a little less creepy?

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

nofather posted:

The campaign description says that's explained in other chapters.

Right, and I'm saying that's the wrong order to put the information in. Keep the full length explanation later, but at least move enough information up in front of the splat splashes that you get a handle on it before reading about the Sworn and the False.

This is really a problem every 2e core has inherited from Vampire, because the splats-first layout Vampire set as the standard works well for Vampire, a game where general pop culture knowledge is close enough to what's going on that you can jump straight into what are the different kinds of vampire and what do they spend their nights doing, and basically none of the other gamelines. It just kind of hits especially hard here.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

I Am Just a Box posted:

Right, and I'm saying that's the wrong order to put the information in. Keep the full length explanation later, but at least move enough information up in front of the splat splashes that you get a handle on it before reading about the Sworn and the False.

This is really a problem every 2e core has inherited from Vampire, because the splats-first layout Vampire set as the standard works well for Vampire, a game where general pop culture knowledge is close enough to what's going on that you can jump straight into what are the different kinds of vampire and what do they spend their nights doing, and basically none of the other gamelines. It just kind of hits especially hard here.

Even with Vampire, it would have been better IMO to have had some theme and setting building before immediately hitting the Clans and Covenants. It's a design choice that I frankly hate, but eh, maybe it works better for other folks. I feel it is more an artifact of that time it was going to be a chronicle book for Vampire: the Requiem rather than a whole new edition and they never bothered to backfill in the "basics." Many of the second editions feel like they presume you read the first edition.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

I Am Just a Box posted:

So you understand it, at least.

I think it's in response to the ratio of players to storytellers. The players don't need to (and, as I've learned from hearing about other games) don't want to know everything about the setting. They want to know what they can play. There's more players than storytellers, so frontload their big options. D&D does the same thing, classes up front, feats and spells and magic items later. But there's certainly enough people apparently confused about it that I understand it's an issue.

Saying it 'hits especially hard' here seems a bit of an exaggeration, too. You've said you are basically just throwing five dollars at it and expecting to take it back 'unless the material surprises me.' You don't seem interested in playing it, or running it, as much as you want answers regarding the setting. And that isn't really the audience for the book so much as someone who wants to play a crossover game is. Plus obviously if you had the book, if you wanted information on something, you could just check out the table of contents and flip to the relevant section.

nofather fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 26, 2019

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

nofather posted:

So you understand it, at least.

I think it's in response to the ratio of players to storytellers. The players don't need to (and, as I've learned from hearing about other games) don't want to know everything about the setting. They want to know what they can play. There's more players than storytellers, so frontload their big options.

Saying it 'hits especially hard' here seems a bit of an exaggeration, too. You've said you are basically just throwing five dollars at it and expecting to take it back 'unless the material surprises me.' You don't seem interested in playing it, or running it, as much as you want answers regarding the setting. And that isn't really the audience for the book so much as someone who wants to play a crossover game is. Plus obviously if you had the book, if you wanted information on something, you could just check out the table of contents and flip to the relevant section.

Why is the player getting the chronicle book with all the details in it at all, though? Like, a loving pamphlet ought to be enough, or a 30 pager; if you're selling a chronicle where every player needs their own copy of the entire book to be able to participate, on top of the existing books they need (at least one corebook) you're doing it wrong

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

speaking as a dude who knows and runs games for box: I would not say that box doesn't want crossover games

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

MollyMetroid posted:

Why is the player getting the chronicle book with all the details in it at all, though? Like, a loving pamphlet ought to be enough, or a 30 pager; if you're selling a chronicle where every player needs their own copy of the entire book to be able to participate, on top of the existing books they need (at least one corebook) you're doing it wrong

Boxed sets don't seem to be as popular now. But with a book you can just hand it over to a player and say the player options are in the first chapter.

Mors Rattus posted:

speaking as a dude who knows and runs games for box: I would not say that box doesn't want crossover games

I'll take your word for it, but it doesn't seem like from any of their posts that they want 'this' crossover game.

nofather fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 26, 2019

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Except that as a player, knowing what I can play is one thing; knowing what the gently caress is going on in vague terms at minimum is going to be required for me to be able to make any sort of informed decision about what I want to play.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

The thing that weirds me out is that the contagion seems like it occupies the conceptual space of the Abyss - reality degrading or being degraded.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Also like, legit: They don't need a box set. They do loving jumpstart 30pagers all the goddamn time. You do a Player's Guide to the Contagion Chronicle with the player-facing information, make it a $5 pdf even, and say to your players hey folks you'll want this. That way you're not requiring every single player to look through one single copy of the book or buy a book that has 90% content they're not going to use.

It's not rocket science; it's not even something that they don't know how to do--it's not even something the industry hasn't seen, as Paizo releases one of these for literally every adventure path, free, because this is a solved problem

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

nofather posted:

I'll take your word for it, but it doesn't seem like from any of their posts that they want 'this' crossover game.

This is pretty accurate.

I'm open to being proven wrong! I don't want to dislike the book. I want there to be stuff I think is cool that I might use in a game, and I'm down to keep and up my pledge if future reveals of later parts of the book turn me around on it.

Right now I mostly feel disappointed, because "a book about crossovers" was right up my alley, but so far, what the book turns out to be is much more specific than that in a way that doesn't do anything for me.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Octavo posted:

The thing that weirds me out is that the contagion seems like it occupies the conceptual space of the Abyss - reality degrading or being degraded.

:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

MollyMetroid posted:

It's not rocket science; it's not even something that they don't know how to do--it's not even something the industry hasn't seen, as Paizo releases one of these for literally every adventure path, free, because this is a solved problem

But Paizo's rich. They can give out a cheap pdf for free because people are paying $15 a month for at least six months for an adventure path.

I Am Just a Box posted:

This is pretty accurate.

I'm open to being proven wrong! I don't want to dislike the book. I want there to be stuff I think is cool that I might use in a game, and I'm down to keep and up my pledge if future reveals of later parts of the book turn me around on it.

I mean obviously it's your right to not like it, I just don't think the thing is going to be giving out solid answers about the metaplot to the point that it can be used as an almanac or something. Like the Rosetta Society think that the Contagion is a result of Something Else communicating with our present world. And they could be right, it looks like interstitial terrain is going to be expanded on in this, and there's probably going to be some more suggestions and theories, but in the end it would be more for you to say you want it to be Father Wolf attempting to claw his way back into the world, or the darkness of the Cheiron Corporation's homeworld coming after the last survivors. Just like if you're running D&D or Pathfinder you can choose your game to be about the manipulations of the Zhentarim or another rise of the Runemasters.

quote:

Right now I mostly feel disappointed, because "a book about crossovers" was right up my alley, but so far, what the book turns out to be is much more specific than that in a way that doesn't do anything for me.

It does look like there's going to be a decent amount of possibilities. Things like the Geryo spreading like a plague, but also people wandering into interstitial terrain, and while it hasn't been mentioned I and others have been waiting for them to whip out a zombie apocalypse. For more generalized crossovers, this chapter 'Storytelling - Thorough, accessible advice on running your crossover chronicles' seems more up your alley. The Contagion looks like it's going to be a big part of the book but that's seems to be the framework, like the God-Machine Chronicle had a bunch of adventures to run, while offering advice on how to run it without them as well.

nofather fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 26, 2019