Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

ok i'm getting an offer. we haven't discussed compensation at any point in the process. i was hoping they would just send me an offer outright but instead we scheduled a call for tomorrow.

i'm assuming the purpose of the call tomorrow is just to get me to give them a number, right? should i be prepared for anything else? i've never made it this far without comp coming up.

they might just give you the offer verbally and make sure they only have to do the paper-shuffling once. so be prepared for that, have a number in mind that you want

if they offer you more than that just make like you're thinking for a bit and ask for that+10%.

if they offer you lower than what you wanted, ask for the number you want, unless it's way higher (>20%) and/or you're desperate.

it's also acceptable to ask for info on benefits, etc. that you can read over before giving a response on the number and you can use that to give yourself more time if you feel too much pressure on the phone. if they push back on that they're assholes and gently caress 'em

e: have a number that you want in mind but DO NOT SAY IT FIRST

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

ok i'm getting an offer. we haven't discussed compensation at any point in the process. i was hoping they would just send me an offer outright but instead we scheduled a call for tomorrow.

i'm assuming the purpose of the call tomorrow is just to get me to give them a number, right? should i be prepared for anything else? i've never made it this far without comp coming up.

Most likely. If they have decided to give you an offer, this is the correct time to talk comp. It's okay to say a number first but make sure it's high enough that you would be extremely happy to receive it but not so high that you get laughed off the phone.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
great!

follow up question: this is a remote role for a silicon valley based company. a large number of (if not a majority of) their engineers are remote. the wage range for my role at this org on glassdoor et al has a lot of samples and looks reliable. also, although remote, i do still live in california.

given all that, i feel like i shouldn't tolerate very much loving around about comp based on being remote, right?

e: i think i'm over complicating this. i know my number.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 26, 2019

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
when I was interviewing at my current job they insisted on doing all of this over the phone

So they'd call me at work and I'd be like, Sorry can't talk, let me call you back in an hour
in an hour I'd call and they wouldn't be there, so I'd leave a message saying, Maybe you can just e-mail me?
Then in another hour they'd call back and be like, sorry this wasn't something we can discuss over e-mail! And it would be like, "Hey we wanted to offer you $X and so many days of vacation"

And when I was like, let me think that over, do you mind e-mailing me a copy of that so I have it in writing and can look it over she was all, "I don't know why you need it in an e-mail when I just told you everything!"

it was very odd

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Bloody posted:

"put a dollar in if the form requires a number to validate"

"im comfortable with the market rate"

and if you get pissed off at their dodging, “do you want a cog in the wheel or do you a partner who will actually improve things’

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

qhat posted:

"I appreciate that you guys would like to discuss whether my expectations are within budget and I'm so far very keen on the company, however for me this is still at an early stage and I need to more thoroughly understand the role before I'm comfortable estimating a fair compensation for the responsibilities involved. At the end of the day, I just want to be paid proportionally to the responsibilities of the job. If there is a good fit, I'm sure we can work something out."

If they still won't proceed, sever, there is no high paying job behind that bullshit.

lol why are you talking like that

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i'm going hard in the salary negotiations tomorrow.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 26, 2019

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

cheque_some posted:

when I was interviewing at my current job they insisted on doing all of this over the phone

So they'd call me at work and I'd be like, Sorry can't talk, let me call you back in an hour
in an hour I'd call and they wouldn't be there, so I'd leave a message saying, Maybe you can just e-mail me?
Then in another hour they'd call back and be like, sorry this wasn't something we can discuss over e-mail! And it would be like, "Hey we wanted to offer you $X and so many days of vacation"

And when I was like, let me think that over, do you mind e-mailing me a copy of that so I have it in writing and can look it over she was all, "I don't know why you need it in an e-mail when I just told you everything!"

it was very odd

In my experience companies and even recruiters are very loathe to send you anything in writing until they think you're a lock these days

I wonder if it's because they're worried you'll bounce your offers off someone else? But you can do that anyway so I don't really see the point.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Not a Children posted:

In my experience companies and even recruiters are very loathe to send you anything in writing until they think you're a lock these days

I wonder if it's because they're worried you'll bounce your offers off someone else? But you can do that anyway so I don't really see the point.

because some people are fine with just an email as evidence to counter offer on. i had numerous coworkers who would go to our boss with an email from a recruiter and say "I have an offer from so and so for x, will you match it?" and end up getting a raise and not leaving.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

i'm going hard in the salary negotiations tomorrow.
gently caress 'em up, dtom

get those figgies

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

hell yeah get that bread everybody

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

im still waiting to hear back on the 20% counter i gave lol

it's outside the salary band, but I know someone making exactly the top of the band, and that's my minimum ,so we'll see. hiring manager wants it to happen, just up to the machinations of bigco HR

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

cheque_some posted:

it was very odd

apple did this with me. I think it's to keep you off balance so they can try to get you to miss or forget things. in my case I ended up totally forgetting to negotiate on vacation days so I ended up losing 3 in the move from epic to Apple. fortunately I gained 7 sick days so it kinda washed but still.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

jit bull transpile posted:

apple did this with me. I think it's to keep you off balance so they can try to get you to miss or forget things. in my case I ended up totally forgetting to negotiate on vacation days so I ended up losing 3 in the move from epic to Apple. fortunately I gained 7 sick days so it kinda washed but still.
i think they dont want to write anything down because you can take that document/email/offer letter and use it as leverage to get a better deal from your current boss or another offering company youre more interested in

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I guess it's to get you more sunk-cost in terms of time when you're dealing with that

Joke's on them once people catch on though, once you lose any sense of shame about lying to recruiters they're just wasting their own time

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i know this job sucks, i know you're afraid i'll turn you down, i know you've got money, give me the loving money you fucks.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i dont give a gently caress if the job is remote, if i wanted less money i would apply for an easy job. gently caress off and come back with my money

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
rofl what an incredible lowball. gently caress off.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
like how much are we talkin

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

FMguru posted:

i think they dont want to write anything down because you can take that document/email/offer letter and use it as leverage to get a better deal from your current boss or another offering company youre more interested in
last time i played offers off each other they trusted my word on it "competitive offer from you looks like 175/175"

never tried to take one to a current boss tho

oh, and the first printed contract they managed to gently caress up my name

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

did they write it John V6?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

raminasi posted:

like how much are we talkin

$135k for a senior software engineer at an SV company. remote but it sounds very high stress and lovely. my situation atm is a little bit desperate but i really don't want to do it unless they're gonna pay me a lot.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

$135k for a senior software engineer at an SV company. remote but it sounds very high stress and lovely. my situation atm is a little bit desperate but i really don't want to do it unless they're gonna pay me a lot.

drat yeah that’s downright insulting. do you think they’re trying to get a big ol’ remote discount or are they just generally stingy?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

raminasi posted:

drat yeah that’s downright insulting. do you think they’re trying to get a big ol’ remote discount or are they just generally stingy?

i think they just suck. there were a lot of red flags that i was only willing to ignore because my situation isn't good. but i'm not so bad off that i'm going to work for a demanding SV company for what i could make at a company where i dont need to do anything.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 26, 2019

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i think they just suck. there were a lot of red flags that i was only willing to ignore because my situation isn't good. but i'm not so bad off that i'm going to work for a demanding SV company for what i could make at a company where i dont need to do anything.

yep. tell them this.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Rex-Goliath posted:

yep. tell them this.

yeah, i did. i feel good about turning them down, i stood up for myself.

also this has attenuated my focus. i've been waffling around dreaming about finding the perfect job that fits me best as a programmer. actually going to sv, going through the process and seeing the grift has made me realize that this is extremely dumb. i'm already really good at a bunch of in-demand things, i should just use those skills to go get a remote job that pays.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 27, 2019

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

base?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Turning down terrible offers is good poo poo, especially when you're in a bad situation, because you didn't sell yourself out. I was five months into unemployment in 2017 when I got an offer for $50,400 for a full-time programming position. I did the math and that was less than I made fresh out of college in 2007, after inflation, and less than I made in 2008, even without inflation. I countered with something more reasonable for a programmer with ten years of experience and they refused to budge:

quote:

Our compensation practices are designed for fairness. The offer on the table is $24.25 per hour.

I replied "That offer is not fair to me." and declined it. Took another two months to get another offer and an additional month beyond that to pass an onerous background check. Then I bailed on that job after four months and here I am, still making five figgies.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

if you have to take a trash offer make sure you put in the effort to match the pay, for fairness reasons you see

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

lol that's a joke, I make nearly that working at a big corp and putting in 20% effort, the idea of that in california for a valley company is a laugh

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

yeah sorry, 150k total if the recruiter is to be believed, i didn't really put much stock in the equity after hearing that base offer.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

i didn't really put much stock in the equity

:v:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Nice. That's a pretty sweet salary for an intermediate in Canada.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

What's a good total comp for a valley senior nowadays? 250k?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

qhat posted:

faang or generic?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

qhat posted:

generic yeah

faang lol no, easily double that, but also gently caress them, gently caress the bay area, gently caress the internet and gently caress tech companies

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
250 was my counter offer but the lowest i woulda gone was 200.

she basically laughed and said 250 was impossible, so i said “that’s what a senior software engineer is worth, right?” and she said yes but we look at applicable skills. i said if my skills aren’t applicable why offer me the job?

good riddance

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

sorry it didn't go anywhere, but good on you for sticking to your guns

fingers crossed on the next one

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

that's only 2k less than I make base, I don't think that's as bad as you're making it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

jit bull transpile posted:

that's only 2k less than I make base, I don't think that's as bad as you're making it out.

yeah, but what kind of rsus do you make on top of that base?