Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I really hate when I'm trying to just have a small kingdom somewhere, and somehow end up owning half of Europe. This last time I was trying to work on the Frisia achievement, yet my vassals ended up taking over Saxony, and are working on an invasion of Aquitaine.

I just wanted to have a small realm for once :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

binge crotching posted:

I really hate when I'm trying to just have a small kingdom somewhere, and somehow end up owning half of Europe. This last time I was trying to work on the Frisia achievement, yet my vassals ended up taking over Saxony, and are working on an invasion of Aquitaine.

This is such a big problem. I always try to keep my borders within the de jure lines, so I can have clean setups, no annoying claims that people want me to press, just a nice little realm with all going well. Yet, my vassals go to war, somehow win stuff or inherite half the loving world and then a small double duchy turns into a triple Empire just because the NPCs couldn't hold their drat realms together.

This is super terrible if your religion allows holy wars while being surrounded by infidels, like when you reformed Israel or something.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Goons Are Great posted:

This is such a big problem. I always try to keep my borders within the de jure lines, so I can have clean setups, no annoying claims that people want me to press, just a nice little realm with all going well. Yet, my vassals go to war, somehow win stuff or inherite half the loving world and then a small double duchy turns into a triple Empire just because the NPCs couldn't hold their drat realms together.

This is super terrible if your religion allows holy wars while being surrounded by infidels, like when you reformed Israel or something.

I mean it sounds like your NPCs are TOO good at holding their realms together. This is why you give each vassal a single county and none of their de jure land.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Palemdromes posted:

I mean it sounds like your NPCs are TOO good at holding their realms together. This is why you give each vassal a single county and none of their de jure land.

:stare:
It does sound useful but isn't this a terrible mess to hand out in the beginning and manage problems like vassals not having heirs etc.? At least if you have a rather large realm with a lot of counties, like the HRE or France.
Honest question there, I'm usually so focused on keeping everything in its de jure limits that I never thought about splitting the duchies or kingdoms up before handing them out.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

I don't know where my court chaplain came from, but i do know he was born for this...

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Big Cowlick of Moo

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

binge crotching posted:

Ever heard of High Crown authority? Preventing vassal wars and all?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Goons Are Great posted:

:stare:
It does sound useful but isn't this a terrible mess to hand out in the beginning and manage problems like vassals not having heirs etc.? At least if you have a rather large realm with a lot of counties, like the HRE or France.
Honest question there, I'm usually so focused on keeping everything in its de jure limits that I never thought about splitting the duchies or kingdoms up before handing them out.

there is no way you are keeping people at one county dynasties forever. the AI will always marry for claims and will always plot. given sufficient time, there will be claim drift and a successful ratfuck or two. nobody is going to stay in their lane, and it's best if you just get comfortable with that.

that said, this is the way you handle this if you are not concerned about stuffing the entire country full of your dynasts (which i argue you should be, because more dynasts ruling means more bloodline prestige, but whatever):

- create a holy man and a debutante by decision
- matrimarry them
- give the county to the man

there's a few reasons for doing it like this
1) you make a holy man over anything else because holy men are guaranteed to have a learning background, which is completely and utterly useless. combine this with the mediocre stats in everything else and in practical terms, they might as well have imbecile.
2) by matrimarrying and then giving the county to the minor partner, the man will see his dynasty going extinct after he dies, which will encourage him to sleep around. this gives the AI a priority to expend its limited juice on that is NOT ratfucking thy neighbor. a succession crisis for a county is pretty much the definition of beneath you as a king.
3) created NPCs are guaranteed to have your culture, so you are unlikely to run into the damned foreigner penalty, and ultimately makes the dynasty easier to control
4) created NPCs are guaranteed to not have any claims or relatives, so they will have to survive a few generations for that drift to happen.
5) because of #4, if you catch them plotting early without kids, you can throw them under house arrest without qualm. at that point, when they finally keel over, their title - along with any money they have amassed during their lifetime - will return to you, ready to repeat the process all over again.

this gets pretty expensive when you are high up and creating a debutante costs dozens of gold a shot but for smaller and more focused realms it should go a long way toward keeping things tidy.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 26, 2019

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If there was a solution for vassals/subjects accumulating power beyond your plans for them aside from just manually crushing and destroying them every time they overstep their boundaries, feudalism would've never ended.

I like the modern-day subtext to the game how no matter how successful you are, you're part of an old order that needed to be crushed before the modern way of life could prosper.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah, it is one of the primary reasons i never turn auto stop plots on. it's much better to catch a vassal at the first step in their scheming and make them work from prison than it is to tell them no 50 times to have them get lucky on the 51st and cause a big mess.

remember: a vassal under house arrest will live exactly as long as a vassal that is free and will make exactly the same decisions regarding his realm and his council.

he just cannot plot, cannot join factions, cannot use the intrigue focus, cannot overbreed, cannot be pissy about not having a seat on the council, cannot revolt, and generally cannot bother you in any way. and if he does find a way to be inconvenient to you, there's always the oubliette to encourage him to die sooner.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I need some advice for playing as a merchant republic. I've managed to stay Doge for most of the time and have brutally enforced a one male child policy. I am by far the most prosperous patrician. I have 9 trading posts and they have 3, 2, 2, and 0 trading posts. How do I get more trading posts?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

I need some advice for playing as a merchant republic. I've managed to stay Doge for most of the time and have brutally enforced a one male child policy. I am by far the most prosperous patrician. I have 9 trading posts and they have 3, 2, 2, and 0 trading posts. How do I get more trading posts?

Wait for a family to build up to their cap, murder them all, you will get 1-2 posts, and the other families will get 1. Repeat.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the doge preferentially gets trading posts if my memory serves me right (which it may not, i haven't played a merchant republic in a long time) so even if a family only has a few posts, if you can wipe them out easily, go ahead and do it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

It's funny how I have yet to go 100 years through a single campaign despite having played CK2 for 6 years now.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Upgrade your palace
Get more adult male family members in your court
Develop your trade tech.

You can kill off rival families and collect their trade posts, but those posts are randomly distributed amongst the remaining families, and odds are you'll end up with some isolated trade posts that don't get any bonuses from being in your trade zone. I don't even bother doing it since i usually end up abandoning those trade posts anyways.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah on a somewhat related note i'm not sure why you'd have a one child policy as a merchant republic. it basically uses agnatic seniority succession so the more sons you can have the better. i remember the literal only time i have made use of the kill your spouse plot is when i was playing a republic because women are so valueless in a republic that if they're not fertile they're in the way.

(i HATE this about MRs incidentally, every time i have a smart daughter i die a little inside)

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I took it to mean he was enforcing a one male child policy for all the other families, but if he is culling his own family yeah that's the opposite of what you want to do.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Yeah to properly play a merchant republic you have to abandon all pretense of playing a moral character. Get as many bastards as you, legitimize them all, murder everyone. Smart daughters aren't useless though. As long as you raise them properly that is. Make them all intrigue focus and marry them off. Now you have a ninja assassin who should like you in another persons court.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Coolguye posted:

the doge preferentially gets trading posts if my memory serves me right (which it may not, i haven't played a merchant republic in a long time) so even if a family only has a few posts, if you can wipe them out easily, go ahead and do it.

Nope. Trade posts are inherited in reverse order of how many posts you already have. If you're the doge and have the most posts, your vassal has to have at least four posts in order for you to inherit one.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I have been enforcing it against other patricians. If I'd have known you get their trading posts, I'd have been murdering off more families.

I think the next oldest patrician family is one generation deep. But he doesn't have any heirs, so hello trading posts.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Various Meat Products posted:

Nope. Trade posts are inherited in reverse order of how many posts you already have. If you're the doge and have the most posts, your vassal has to have at least four posts in order for you to inherit one.

ah thanks for that

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Coolguye posted:

there is no way you are keeping people at one county dynasties forever. the AI will always marry for claims and will always plot. given sufficient time, there will be claim drift and a successful ratfuck or two. nobody is going to stay in their lane, and it's best if you just get comfortable with that.

that said, this is the way you handle this if you are not concerned about stuffing the entire country full of your dynasts (which i argue you should be, because more dynasts ruling means more bloodline prestige, but whatever):

- create a holy man and a debutante by decision
- matrimarry them
- give the county to the man

there's a few reasons for doing it like this
1) you make a holy man over anything else because holy men are guaranteed to have a learning background, which is completely and utterly useless. combine this with the mediocre stats in everything else and in practical terms, they might as well have imbecile.
2) by matrimarrying and then giving the county to the minor partner, the man will see his dynasty going extinct after he dies, which will encourage him to sleep around. this gives the AI a priority to expend its limited juice on that is NOT ratfucking thy neighbor. a succession crisis for a county is pretty much the definition of beneath you as a king.
3) created NPCs are guaranteed to have your culture, so you are unlikely to run into the damned foreigner penalty, and ultimately makes the dynasty easier to control
4) created NPCs are guaranteed to not have any claims or relatives, so they will have to survive a few generations for that drift to happen.
5) because of #4, if you catch them plotting early without kids, you can throw them under house arrest without qualm. at that point, when they finally keel over, their title - along with any money they have amassed during their lifetime - will return to you, ready to repeat the process all over again.

this gets pretty expensive when you are high up and creating a debutante costs dozens of gold a shot but for smaller and more focused realms it should go a long way toward keeping things tidy.

This is such an amazing strategy, thank you. I usually can't play amazingly long games, maybe 200 years tops, due to me getting tired of being involved in more and more poo poo my vassals do over the course of generations, this might actually do the trick to limit it at least so that I can become a dynasty that rules for longer than a century.

I wonder if the world history would have been different if this strategy would have happened for real rulers and their vassals.
drat you Barbarossa!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the other part to limiting the bullshit you have to put up with w.r.t. vassals is to disallow internal wars and use viceroyalties when you get to the empire level (for your kings). disallowing internal wars severely limits county and ducal drift because might no longer instantly makes right, and viceroyalties will stop generational plotting at the king level cold.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
So, I have a lot of tributaries and seem to get lovely chancellors who couldn't fabricate a lie. I cant seem to get the Pope to agree to give me a claim on any of my tributaries either. What are my options here? Is there a way to increase the likelihood they accept vassalization if I'm not their de jure liege?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

So, I have a lot of tributaries and seem to get lovely chancellors who couldn't fabricate a lie. I cant seem to get the Pope to agree to give me a claim on any of my tributaries either. What are my options here? Is there a way to increase the likelihood they accept vassalization if I'm not their de jure liege?

no if you are not their de jure liege they will always tell you to go gently caress yourself

just use the force vassalization CB if they are relatively small. if they are huge, do the usual invite claimant/land/press combo until they are small enough to force vassalize.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Coolguye posted:

no if you are not their de jure liege they will always tell you to go gently caress yourself

Have you met my friend Satan? He is very good at making people much more... agreeable.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Speaking of which, I spent four games trying to get the demon child thing going without success. Now in my recent Jewish Israel game, where I'm just a king but able to hold every county myself due to stats, so gently caress vassals, I didn't really bother to get into Luzifer's rear end until 50 years ago or something.

My daughter however seems to be a demon child. She had a ton of events where she basically murdered my sons and heirs, she got the debuff of being "The voice of Satan" and a basically everyone hates her, she got negative traits all around and occasionally someone dies while in contact with her.
What exactly can happen with her now? For some reason she even joined the society, that I rule myself by now, does she have any abilities or special events, or does she just murder people and is generally hated?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jiru posted:

I don't know where my court chaplain came from, but i do know he was born for this...

I've read hundreds of books, sire!

Tell me, what were they about?

Reading books, sire!

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

The medieval Jordan Peterson

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Jedit posted:

I've read hundreds of books, sire!

Tell me, what were they about?

Reading books, sire!

This is the classic 'Raised in a isolated monastery' setup. Lots of book learning, little actual experience.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i'm honestly more interested in what sort of base that guy has to get 20 learning even with Imbecile

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Coolguye posted:

yeah, it is one of the primary reasons i never turn auto stop plots on. it's much better to catch a vassal at the first step in their scheming and make them work from prison than it is to tell them no 50 times to have them get lucky on the 51st and cause a big mess.

remember: a vassal under house arrest will live exactly as long as a vassal that is free and will make exactly the same decisions regarding his realm and his council.

he just cannot plot, cannot join factions, cannot use the intrigue focus, cannot overbreed, cannot be pissy about not having a seat on the council, cannot revolt, and generally cannot bother you in any way. and if he does find a way to be inconvenient to you, there's always the oubliette to encourage him to die sooner.

I have played ckII so long and I never realised this... All those civil wars I could have avoided. I guess I'll have to try a small stable realm again rather than a huge blob like I always do.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Started another Old Gods Crete game. Is it just me or is a small Muslim start brutal with prestige now? I found myself losing prestige for not having three wives, but the only wives I could get were courtiers, and marrying them is -200 prestige a pop. Until I could get my raiding up the first couple generations were kinda rough on that front, but now everyone's begging to marry courtiers I didn't even know were hanging out in my pirate cove. The Byzantines tried to holy war me, which was a first, but I was able to convert to Orthodoxy because my capitol hasn't converted and when that hosed up my succession I switched to seniority, which meant my heir was Muslim again and reset me to Open when she inherited. I think I need to find some way to break the Byzantines, but they're gonna be pretty tough as a two-province minor. I can sometimes punch a little above my weight class, but I'm gonna bust my knuckles on them. I should wait a bit anyways, at least until my current, 14 year old emira grows up.

Oh, and the Norse reformed and have hosed up Catholicism's MA. The Pope called a crusade for Frisia and it ended extremely poorly. The British Isles are a nightmare, and I think the only non-Norse (not counting the culture changes going on) rulers are the Queen of Scotland and the countess of Leicester. They are both OPMs. Southern Ireland is held by a Norse-Gael Catholic who's trying to reclaim the isle, but I think even if they do the Queen of England (Norse) might sweep in and kick the poo poo out of them. There is a Kingdom of Irland, formed by the previous Norse Queen of England that might be able to hit back too. Also, Norse adventurers have made a number of short-lived kingdoms in northern Spain, Provence, and on the coast of the Adriatic (a holy war for Bosnia claimed a chunk of it, to give further idea, and left a small blob of Norse/Germanic there that you can see on the religious and cultural maps). The one in Provence is the only one around at the moment, but it's also expanding pretty well and might make something impressive of itself.

And in Steppe Wolf news, both Bulgaria and the Bolghars are doing quite well for themselves. Bulgaria had a rough civil war that ended up Fitna Fracture'd, but they recovered and I think it's only a matter of time before Bessarabian Bulgaria gets reabsorbed. That happened in Kiev, but the Fracture title hasn't gone yet. Somehow, both the Bolghars and the Khazars got land in the area around Antioch. That green on the eastern half of Cyprus and nearby is a Khazar splinter state that's still chilling out. The poor Arameans, a couple managed to free themselves and started actually doing stuff before they got stomped on by nomads.

Political, Nov. 948

Religious, Nov 948

Cultural, Nov 948

Edit: Just realised Venice lost all their non-Venice land. Possibly because of exclave independence, but I like to imagine it has to do with me burning everything of theirs I couldn't steal while they were in the middle of a war.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Thrasophius posted:

I have played ckII so long and I never realised this... All those civil wars I could have avoided. I guess I'll have to try a small stable realm again rather than a huge blob like I always do.

well uh do note that arresting motherfuckers as a rule is definitely going to cause some failed arrests and, therefore, civil wars. it's just that they generally will be very small civil wars because people generally cannot call in allies for justified arrests. i think the only ones that are valid are other vassals directly underneath you. so a duke you attempt to arrest could call in another one of your dukes, but he would not be able to call in a supercount that is the vassal of an unrelated duke, or the duke of a viceroy.

it absolutely defangs the gently caress out of a lot of factions though, for sure. you may want to make sure that dynasts have produced their token heir-and-a-spare before locking them up forever (imprisoned people cannot breed), but outside of that and the edge cases where you need everyone's opinion as high as possible i have never found a compelling reason to not put someone under house arrest for being out of their lane. they fill their role fine, will live exactly as long as they otherwise would, and will never do something that harshes your mellow again.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Man, I just topped 50k dynasty score for the first time and didnt get the achievement.

How do you guys handle your super dukes? It seems like 40 years later they have all consolidated their power and want the crown. I usually have enough tributaries to handle it, but still.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

A dude with two ducal titles or multiple county titles outside of his home ducal title's de jure is grounds for the intrigue focus. The intrigue focus is basically your housecleaning focus. Anyone who needs to be knocked down to size gets spied on until they revolt too early, revoked down to size, and then kept in time out until they die.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 28, 2019

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Man, I just topped 50k dynasty score for the first time and didnt get the achievement.

How do you guys handle your super dukes? It seems like 40 years later they have all consolidated their power and want the crown. I usually have enough tributaries to handle it, but still.

You can demand that your super duke adopts gavelkind. If they owe you a favor, they cannot refuse. So if they have a lot of sons, that's one way to get rid of a super duke.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Torrannor posted:

You can demand that your super duke adopts gavelkind. If they owe you a favor, they cannot refuse. So if they have a lot of sons, that's one way to get rid of a super duke.

if you do not have a favor with them, imprison them justly and keep them in a normal cell. within 6 months they will write you asking for house arrest, then just release them through the event decision. this makes them owe you a favor.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Get a tiny kingdom title and make it your primary title, then destroy all the other kingdom titles you have. Places like Wales are really good to be the king of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Right on. I'll keep that in mind.

I loving love this game. My biggest pain in the rear end councillor gets dragged into my tent and accused of being a heretic. I burned him at the stake and got piety for it. All because my current ruler's old man was a member of Lucifer's Own and had a mission to desecrate his bishiphoric.