Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Ugato posted:

it took until 2003 to finally federally negate all sodomy laws - 14 states still have them on the books, in fact, and if for some reason the Supreme Court decided to overturn the 2003 decision... welp.

basically I’ve been burned too many times by not asking enough questions in my life and I know rules and laws like that, even if the intent is to protect you initially, end up being somewhat convoluted and/or can be twisted to screw people over. not trying to convince you not to see a therapist, but if it were me and I were worried about it, I would absolutely look into the stupid exceptions that could bite me.

but, again, a therapist isn’t out to get you, so having that conversation with them should cover you

so youre saying i...can? sodomize my therapist?

edit: if we talk about it first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Poniard posted:

If you try to better your mental health in America you're suddenly not allowed to do a bunch of poo poo

🎯

:d2a:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Nae! posted:

wow this went places

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Nae! posted:

:heysexy:

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

also, for content, do not engage in sexual relations with your therapist or doctors. thank u

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

yeah dont gently caress yoru therapist unless they're really hot but if you do gently caress them you need to get a new one immediately

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Feranon posted:

you know, i never even thought about people in high level govt positions not getting any mental health care

it never occured to me bc i just assumed that these folks were pampered and took the best care of themselves since they're bougies who can afford to

but being in a stressful high-level position of power and not getting ANY mental health care because you don't wanna confess to having Totally Bonkers Disorder when it's time to renew your clearances and stuff? jfc :cripes:

any position of serious power like that should come with mandatory physical and mental exams and appointments with a therapist if needed

america is literally criminally insane because we don't think mental health is important and we heavily stigmatize mental un-health

just an entire massive country going hey we're sane, we're good, totally fine i pr--BACK OFF MAN I HAVE NUKES but dude chill i'm fine, we're fine, it's fine. no sad or mad brains in THIS beautiful nation

To be fair, the agencies that do this have their own official shrinks on staff, usually. And I believe "Question 21" has been revised somewhat to water down the jeopardy since I last worked for those rascals.

I really loved it when my private psychiatrist lost his poo poo when I told him my employer needed my diagnosis. I had never seen a shrink lose his poo poo and it was glorious and endearing.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Chokes McGee posted:

“just asking for a friend”

unless you say the magic words “I’m going to kill myself” or “I am going to kill someone else” or similar statements that make it stunningly obvious either was meant, doctor-client privilege is in effect

otherwise I think they’re legally required to report it but discretion still applies

Greetings C-SPAM mental health thread. I recently (about 6 months ago) finished my masters in clinical mental health counseling and am licensed as a licensed mental health counselor associate. which means that I am collecting direct contact hours under direct supervision to get my full license which in my state is LMHC. I currently work for a community mental health agency who only serves clients who qualify for medicaid (for my state that means singlehoushold who makes less than apprx 1397 a month). I work with a lot of clients who have persistent and chronic psychiatric symptoms (which I prefer over the term mental illness) that exacerbate other problems such as housing, work, interpersonal relationship. I pretty much mostly see people who are severely struggling to make it mentally and physically in our society.

I mention all of this because I am happy to give out non-therapeutic advice / answer basic counseling questions / try to offer resources for yall if you want. I CANNOT BE YOUR THERAPIST.

For example, your mental health information is protected information much like your physical health information is protected. this is all under HIPAA ( Health insurance portability accountability act)

There are generally 4 exceptions in which a counselor would be able to break confidentiality:

1- statements to hurt yourself or other people. THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE PASSIVE SI e.g. "I just wish I could stop suffering". A statement like that would draw further questions to assess for intent and means. Conversely a statement with intent and especially intent and a plan e.g. "When I leave here I will harm myself with a knife". will also be investigated before something like calling 911 or making sure that client gets to an ER. Even if you do go to the ER there is a good chance that you will not be hospitalized tbh, but it is a safe place for you to be until you are able to feel safe.

DISCLAIMER IF YOU ARE HAVING THOUGHTS OF HURTING YOURSELF CALL 911 / local crisis line / go to ER.

2- reports of abuse or neglect of children or elderly folks.

3- if you are gravely disabled which means that you cannot take care of yourself due to your mental health condition e.g. not drinking water because you are experiencing delusion of all water being poisoned.

4 - it is possible to be subpoenaed.

other than those situations we cannot release information (including acknowledging you are receiving services) without a signed release of information (ROI)

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

my therapist loving sucks and i finally stopped wasting my time going to him and now my medication manager is threatening me with an unaffordable involuntary inpatient stay if i don't go back to have an rear end in a top hat try to convert me for an hour

really powerful approach to deterring suicide

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

EmbryoSteve posted:

3- if you are gravely disabled which means that you cannot take care of yourself due to your mental health condition e.g. not drinking water because you are experiencing delusion of all water being poisoned.

that is not a delusion i had ever imagined existed, but now that its been pointed out, im guessing its happened before :/

edit: also for the record, all comedy and fun aside, obviously you should not have sex with your therapist. i actually dropped a therapist about two years ago because he wouldn't stop ogling me and telling me how pretty i was, which was a loving shame because he was an otherwise great therapist. it got so bad that on the last day i met with him, i told myself 'ill give this guy one session to not mention my appearence and ill stick with him', and the guy didn't last five minutes. great.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

Nae! posted:

that is not a delusion i had ever imagined existed, but now that its been pointed out, im guessing its happened before :/

mandrake.... have u ever heard of a thing called.. Fluoridation?

also, ty embryo man for the good effort post. if you can't be our therapist, does that mean you're down for sodomy?

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Feranon posted:

lmao bitch i live in the bay area, ive literally had people come to my door with flyers on the dangers of fluoridation

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
I’m glad I helped the thread find a new sexy direction

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

truckin and fuckin is all i crave

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Poniard posted:

truckin and fuckin is all i crave

anxious on a mountain, depressed in a cave
celexa and wellbutrin is all i crave

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

i lied

i dont crave fuckin because i know i never will, seeing as im some sort of swamp creature posting on the internet

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

turn off the TV posted:

my therapist loving sucks and i finally stopped wasting my time going to him and now my medication manager is threatening me with an unaffordable involuntary inpatient stay if i don't go back to have an rear end in a top hat try to convert me for an hour

Wait, convert you? Like, religiously? What the gently caress

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Ugato posted:

I’m glad I helped the thread find a new sexy direction

horny is prohibited

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

turn off the TV posted:

define “convert.” I’m not being flippant, this is actually really important.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Goon Danton posted:

Wait, convert you? Like, religiously? What the gently caress

one of the nonsequiter topics that my therapist enjoys the most is christianity and attending church

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

turn off the TV posted:

one of the nonsequiter topics that my therapist enjoys the most is christianity and attending church

that seems like something you should be able to report to someone, if theyre trying to put you inpatient for not loving jesus enough

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Feranon posted:

also, ty embryo man for the good effort post. if you can't be our therapist, does that mean you're down for sodomy?

with enthusiastic consent

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

turn off the TV posted:

Not all therapists are a great fit for everyone. I have been fired by client's before because my style and approach was not a good fit for them. That said unless the agency you are going to is explicitly faith based the therapist should not be injectin their belief system into the session. e.g. just pray it out. It is not very trauma informed and not respectful of the client's beliefs and not client centered. There are likely other options at your agency and they likely have a policy to switch therapists. At my agency clients may request a change in clinician no questions asked once per year. (more than that gets questions asked for various mental health reasons)

Involuntary detainment varies from state to state. In my state you cannot be involuntarily detained without the designated crisis responders (DCR), which are run by whatever county you live in, determining that you are a danger to yourself, others, or gravely disabled, or threat to property (this one never happens as people normally get arrested before they encounter mental health system). Involuntary detainment is a legal process.

If you are at an agency This normally means that your primary therapist will need to write an affidavit with supporting evidence that you meet the criteria to be detained and they will likely have to complete an outreach to you (if you are at a community agency I am not sure how private practice deals with this. though most private practice does not have super acute clients).

I have done this many times, but most of the time people do not get detained as it is a. expensive , b. there are limited beds in psychiatric hospital, or c. there is not enough support with immediacy to warrant detainment meaning that if you are not immediately suicidal with a plan and intent and are willing to submit to a lesser restrictive alternative e.g. a crisis center appt and safety plan, you will not generally be detained (in my county in my state), and d. people really do not want to take you civil rights away unless they must to keep you safe. It can be quite difficult to get legit detained (in my state).

even if you do get detained (in my state) you get held for 72 hrs then you go to court and the DCRs must PROVE in court that you continue to meet criteria to be detained if they cannot e.g. you are no longer suicidal then you are released. If you are still detainable you may be detained UP TO 14 more days. After that you go to court again and if you continue to meet criteria you may be detained again for UP TO 90 days. at any point in this process you may be released if you no longer meet criteria to be detained e.g. your treatment team determines that you are safe and good to go.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

turn off the TV posted:

if it’s brought up as an anecdote in an attempt to relate it’s not so bad. some people are deeply religious and it’s the lens they view life through. HOWEVER, at no point should she be going “idk try going to church” or a serious ethical line has been breached.

Either way if you’re not comfortable talking to your therapist then you need a new one. you’re not married to them (I presume) and without trust you’re both not going to get very far.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

EmbryoSteve posted:

Not all therapists are a great fit for everyone. I have been fired by client's before because my style and approach was not a good fit for them. That said unless the agency you are going to is explicitly faith based the therapist should not be injectin their belief system into the session. e.g. just pray it out. It is not very trauma informed and not respectful of the client's beliefs and not client centered. There are likely other options at your agency and they likely have a policy to switch therapists. At my agency clients may request a change in clinician no questions asked once per year. (more than that gets questions asked for various mental health reasons)

Involuntary detainment varies from state to state. In my state you cannot be involuntarily detained without the designated crisis responders (DCR), which are run by whatever county you live in, determining that you are a danger to yourself, others, or gravely disabled, or threat to property (this one never happens as people normally get arrested before they encounter mental health system). Involuntary detainment is a legal process.

If you are at an agency This normally means that your primary therapist will need to write an affidavit with supporting evidence that you meet the criteria to be detained and they will likely have to complete an outreach to you (if you are at a community agency I am not sure how private practice deals with this. though most private practice does not have super acute clients).

I have done this many times, but most of the time people do not get detained as it is a. expensive , b. there are limited beds in psychiatric hospital, or c. there is not enough support with immediacy to warrant detainment meaning that if you are not immediately suicidal with a plan and intent and are willing to submit to a lesser restrictive alternative e.g. a crisis center appt and safety plan, you will not generally be detained (in my county in my state), and d. people really do not want to take you civil rights away unless they must to keep you safe. It can be quite difficult to get legit detained (in my state).

even if you do get detained (in my state) you get held for 72 hrs then you go to court and the DCRs must PROVE in court that you continue to meet criteria to be detained if they cannot e.g. you are no longer suicidal then you are released. If you are still detainable you may be detained UP TO 14 more days. After that you go to court again and if you continue to meet criteria you may be detained again for UP TO 90 days. at any point in this process you may be released if you no longer meet criteria to be detained e.g. your treatment team determines that you are safe and good to go.

a dude in our ward did this, he made it his sole reason to exist until the hospital finally gave up and released him

we’re all p much convinced he was in denial and it was a horrible idea but what can you do

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

EmbryoSteve posted:

with enthusiastic consent

welp :q:

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
Anyone have success switching careers after college? I'm 30 but I really hate my current line of work and it requires more education to advance or get higher pay.

I just don't know where to start.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Chokes McGee posted:

a dude in our ward did this, he made it his sole reason to exist until the hospital finally gave up and released him

we’re all p much convinced he was in denial and it was a horrible idea but what can you do

which part?

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

well i just got dumped, what a waste i am

a mess and a waste

:sad:

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

succ posted:

Anyone have success switching careers after college? I'm 30 but I really hate my current line of work and it requires more education to advance or get higher pay.

My husband went back to undergrad in his thirties and switched careers and is now doing really well, and he's not the only one of my friends to do this.

But, uh, this only really works if you go back for a STEM degree, not like musical theater or greek history. Don't do those.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
this year, turn fear into fierce

succ posted:

ive switched careers like 4 times, no success yet but thats life

i'm currently in community college for a theater degree because stem is for people without souls

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I don't like my engineering degree and I've completely owned myself by having my job prospects now limited to death machine contractors or working at the hardware store again

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

welp i hosed up and started reading the climate change thread while in a depressive spiral and whoa boy i barely see the point of living anymore

im pretty convinced nothing good is ever going to happen to me again

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
Yeah similar situation. I can't really afford to take time off to get a new degree or an advanced degree.

Guess I'll just keep applying and hoping.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Zyla posted:

welp i hosed up and started reading the climate change thread while in a depressive spiral and whoa boy i barely see the point of living anymore

im pretty convinced nothing good is ever going to happen to me again

you had such a good night the other day, think of those times

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

lol that owns

i took some medicine! it is helping!

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
deleted

GoluboiOgon has issued a correction as of 21:30 on Jan 14, 2020

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

got any sevens posted:

i'm currently in community college for a theater degree because stem is for people without souls

Yeah, what kind of soulless monster gets a degree in something like biology or environmental science or astronomy?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

EmbryoSteve posted:

which part?

fighting involuntary commitment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Zyla posted:

oh jesus man dont do that, even i cant let myself read that thread and i usually love to wallow