Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
To be fair it’s written by noted horny weirdo Frank Herbert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Dune is on sale for $2 today if you want the kindle version.
https://smile.amazon.com/Dune-Frank-Herbert-ebook/dp/B00B7NPRY8

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Gurney Halleck is posting from the set:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvU3Qlxg2TV/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1ffgjox41y6n4

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pham Nuwen posted:

The "Ah-h-h" thing was a kind of weird style thing in Dune that always catches me a little bit when I see it after a while

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvxwf1jxdaM&t=24s

I thought they didn't use guns in the Dune universe. :dadjoke:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tremendously rigid rn

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

I don't remember the part where Gurney gets bitten by a cat.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

it was actually a six legged shat

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

hawowanlawow posted:

it was actually a six legged shat

Ah the ol Salusa Secundus Battle Shat.

I hear you can't graduate from elementary school there unless you kill one wearing nothing but a thong.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
How did Gurney and Duncan get freed from Harkonnen bondage? Did the Atreides just sometimes attack Geidi Prime to free slaves? And was stuff like that, and blowing up their secret spice cache, deemed acceptably minor to count as “assassination actions” to gain Guild consent for transport?

Honestly I wouldn’t mind seeing that scene played out. It would let us have another look at Geidi Prime at least.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

How did Gurney and Duncan get freed from Harkonnen bondage? Did the Atreides just sometimes attack Geidi Prime to free slaves? And was stuff like that, and blowing up their secret spice cache, deemed acceptably minor to count as “assassination actions” to gain Guild consent for transport?

Honestly I wouldn’t mind seeing that scene played out. It would let us have another look at Geidi Prime at least.
I had always parsed it as Gurney and Duncan being freed from an off-planet Harkonnen site. The Guild seems OK with shuttling raid squads around, the Atreides even teamed up with the Fremen to go gently caress up some spice hoard or other before the Duke went down.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Nessus posted:

I had always parsed it as Gurney and Duncan being freed from an off-planet Harkonnen site. The Guild seems OK with shuttling raid squads around, the Atreides even teamed up with the Fremen to go gently caress up some spice hoard or other before the Duke went down.

I thought that was on Arrakis itself, Harkonnen remnants/saboteurs?

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vlex posted:

I thought that was on Arrakis itself, Harkonnen remnants/saboteurs?

They actually went offworld and did it, the madmen:

"Use some of Idaho’s men. And perhaps some of the Fremen would enjoy a trip off planet. A raid on Giedi Prime – there are tactical advantages to such a diversion, Thufir."

"..."

"The Baron chewed at his lower lip, consoling himself that the Emperor, at least, had not learned of the Atreides raid on Giedi Prime, the destruction of the Harkonnen spice stores there."

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Yeah, the Guild'll transport your ship wherever you want to go, you just can't fight on board a heighliner. Probably learned that one the hard way, knowing people. But then you get there and you can touch down and start cracking heads.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

phasmid posted:

Yeah, the Guild'll transport your ship wherever you want to go, you just can't fight on board a heighliner. Probably learned that one the hard way, knowing people. But then you get there and you can touch down and start cracking heads.

Navigator "Huh, suddenly none of these trajectories get us to Ix. Why is that?"
*minutes later*
-- ATTENTION: HULL BREACH < ALL DECKS > --

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
There’s definitely a bit about the Guild charging exorbitant fees to transport large numbers of troops, so large invasion forces are pretty much impossible for anyone to afford.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Testikles posted:

Navigator "Huh, suddenly none of these trajectories get us to Ix. Why is that?"
*minutes later*
-- ATTENTION: HULL BREACH < ALL DECKS > --

lol yeah, that's what I was thinking.

Trigger discipline is very important if you're using a laser gun.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
The baron quotes the cost of his and the emperor's action against duke Leto as roughly equal to the total profit from spice export from arrakis for forty years I think

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Which kind of makes you wonder what the space dwelling fish people spend all their money on. Like what are they buying that is so pricey and in such large quantities?

spice

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Testikles posted:

Which kind of makes you wonder what the space dwelling fish people spend all their money on. Like what are they buying that is so pricey and in such large quantities?

spice
At the start of Dune, the Spacing Guild has a complete monopoly on space travel, and it's even implied that simply getting into space involves their ships, since it's mentioned in the first book that the Fremen spend a lot of bribes to keep weather control out of Low-Arrakis-Orbit. I think it's also implied that they keep the smugglers quiet with bribes, I think?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Testikles posted:

spice

They eat it.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

D. Ebdrup posted:

At the start of Dune, the Spacing Guild has a complete monopoly on space travel, and it's even implied that simply getting into space involves their ships, since it's mentioned in the first book that the Fremen spend a lot of bribes to keep weather control out of Low-Arrakis-Orbit. I think it's also implied that they keep the smugglers quiet with bribes, I think?

I wanna say the smugglers are more or less in business with the Fremen but I could be remembering wrong. If that's true though I doubt much bribery is necessary since screwing the Fremen would screw themselves out of good business.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

I always imagined that folding space required a heroic dose of spice to achieve. Multiply those needs over a galaxy and there's your overhead.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
That, plus they have to finance the construction of their ships and stations somehow, though they could easily do that by just accepting construction projects as payments against future transport needs of the builders, etc. the infrastructure and culture of the guild would be a really interesting subject but dune just isn't that kind of book.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

many machines on ix

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Nude machines

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Butter on toast with fresh eggs

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Atreides battle language works the same way.

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate
Oh?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Atreides battle language works the same way.

So weird head canons right

I always imagined it being like , drummed onto a desk/table/thigh sort of like between a visual Morse code and a signed language.

I currently work as a sign language interpreter now, and am eager to see how it is portrayed on screen

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Testikles posted:

spice
Power.
:capitalism:

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Jestery posted:

So weird head canons right

I always imagined it being like , drummed onto a desk/table/thigh sort of like between a visual Morse code and a signed language.

I currently work as a sign language interpreter now, and am eager to see how it is portrayed on screen

Battle Language is a code, where words are used to replace other words over radio and other comms.

The dinner scene has that bit where words are used to provide a subtext to an apparently innocuous conversation, which is not the same thing, I think.

Edit: the talk with hands thing was a BG thing.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The dinner scene definitely has some code words in it, IIRC it's Jessica who recognizes Leto using them before he takes off to deal with something.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

exmachina posted:

Battle Language is a code, where words are used to replace other words over radio and other comms.

The dinner scene has that bit where words are used to provide a subtext to an apparently innocuous conversation, which is not the same thing, I think.

When Paul meets Gurney later in the first book, Gurney warns Paul of untrustworthy people among the smugglers using a subtle movement of the hand, so I think it's a mix of code words, body language and other signals.

"‘Little enough profit in our venture,’ Paul said, and he noted the subtle finger signal flashed to him by Gurney’s right hand – the old hand code out of their past. There were men to fear and distrust in the smuggler crew.
Paul pulled at his lip to indicate he understood, looked up at the men standing guard above them on the rocks."

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

exmachina posted:

Oh yeah, this is entirely a , my 14 year old head thought dumb things,.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

And Hawat has some system to indicate that he's checked a place out and it's clean, like in spy tradecraft. It's flexible enough that it works when the viewer hasn't been in that space before - Jessica knows that Hawat has checked the conservatory.

Basically they've got every sort of secret code and signal possible, which is part of what made reading it at 15 rad.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jestery posted:

Oh yeah, this is entirely a , my 14 year old head thought dumb things,.

Nah it's both. Gurney wasn't BG yet he used "sign language".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's like special forces/diving hand signals I think, designed to be discreet.

With the Guild charging huge fees for invasion forces I imagine that encouraged every Great House with a brain to spend centuries developing their own brands of special forces on crack.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
The Bene Gesserit skill was to hold one innocuous and boring conversation spoken aloud to fool listeners while simultaneously having the true and secret communication occur with concealed sign language without either suffering losses of fidelity or telltale delays etc. I believe it comes up in Messiah first but I don't remember.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

andrew smash posted:

The Bene Gesserit skill was to hold one innocuous and boring conversation spoken aloud to fool listeners while simultaneously having the true and secret communication occur with concealed sign language without either suffering losses of fidelity or telltale delays etc. I believe it comes up in Messiah first but I don't remember.

Hmmmm. Aaaaaaaaaaah, hmm. Ummm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

sebmojo posted:

Hmmmm. Aaaaaaaaaaah, hmm. Ummm.

Count Fenring and his wife have something similar as you point out but it doesn't involve signing, it's a private code language. It seems to be entirely between the two of them also, not something other BGs use.