Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

runupon cracker posted:

The rest of the post made sense to me, but I really don't understand this part. If there's an obvious flaw in what you've done, why would you not correct it?
This way you can see your full thinking and see where you went off the rails, even if you correct it. When you're practicing, trying to figure out why you got something wrong is a good skill to learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Gildiss posted:

Good places don't have many openings. Bad places with lots of churn do.
Growth is a thing.

Lots of good places churn too. Look at the voluntary vs. involuntary attrition rates. Netflix lets a lot of people go with a 6-month severance, for example, but their voluntary attrition rate is very low. Not that this tells the whole story—I've worked several places overstaffed with complacent/semi-competent lifers who should have been managed out years prior.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

runupon cracker posted:

The rest of the post made sense to me, but I really don't understand this part. If there's an obvious flaw in what you've done, why would you not correct it?
It's more about thinking carefully before you start writing stuff down. This is of course totally different to the way most people code.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Hey you wise goons. I know the thread is more oriented towards experienced folk shooting their poo poo, but I feel my problem isn't exactly a "newbie to the industry" thing (although I am one) and more a "could use some advice from seasoned people" along a good tablespoon of "life situations that happen".

This is going to be long. So first, some context:

After six years, I am single again and soon to be living alone. I returned to university last year to study Information Systems, and I am on the 2nd semester. Before that, I studied a brief remote online technical course for a year that gave me a general glance at most fundamental topics of IT and program development, and before even that, I learned Python syntax on my own.

I live in Brazil, and my city is a tech hub that is being prosperous even considering how bad the overall economic situation is, and there is plenty of demand for work. I am mostly applying myself to paid internships since I do not feel that I qualify yet for a proper dev job, and also because that usually locks down a better career offer by the end of the internship than just by recruitment (at least here).

However, my university has some pretty good international study programs all the way up to doctorates around the world in some pretty nice places like Germany, France, Canada, Netherlands, etc and now that I am alone, I am considering putting in the work to qualify for a master's grant and financial aid from my uni's exchange board at the end of my graduation.

The reason why I am telling all this: I kinda feel that staying here might be a tad lovely due to the sorry state of our civic life and the not favorable at all long term prospects in most senses. So, I want to immigrate.

However, given that neoliberalism loving sucks for everyone, I know that I should come with "strong desirables" to not only be able to join in, but also to be able to prosper. Which brings me to these questions:

- What sort of internship dev work I should be on the lookout for to help learn and grow a good knowledge base?

- Likewise, are there any universal red flags that I should be aware of?

- Are there any particular knowledges/skills that you feel (or have a sort of hunch) that can be useful for the future? Like, "learn some mobile dev programming because that isn't going to have a slow down in demand soon", etc.

- What subjects in computer science are particularly interesting and in-demand from the economy for a master's coursework (for example, if I am getting a Ms. in Software Engineering, what topics inside that frame would be great to showcase)?

Many thanks in advance. :)

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I can’t speak universally, but if my company were interviewing you for an internship position, we’d completely ignore everything you did in school, so from that perspective just do fun stuff that excites you and that you can speak enthusiastically about.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Hey you wise goons. I know the thread is more oriented towards experienced folk shooting their poo poo, but I feel my problem isn't exactly a "newbie to the industry" thing (although I am one) and more a "could use some advice from seasoned people" along a good tablespoon of "life situations that happen".

Don't think that oldies only hang out in the oldie thread. Oldies also hang out in the newbie thread specifically for the purpose of giving advice.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The oldie thread and the newbie thread are virtually indistinguishable most of the time and I am personally happy to talk poo poo about work in either of them

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Paolomania posted:

Don't think that oldies only hang out in the oldie thread. Oldies also hang out in the newbie thread specifically for the purpose of giving advice.

SA has pretty much almost run out of newbies

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

bob dobbs is dead posted:

SAYS THE '17!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

makes me feel great that I'm the second-oldest regdate in the old people thread for miles and miles

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Hughlander posted:

SAYS THE '17!

I joined the forum shortly after the poo poo lasagna story got posted

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Vulture Culture posted:

makes me feel great that I'm the second-oldest regdate in the old people thread for miles and miles
:hfive:

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Vulture Culture posted:

I wonder what the average regdate of active SA members is.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Vulture Culture posted:

3 month :argh:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Owned

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Slimy Hog posted:

That's going to depend a lot on how you define active.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Slimy Hog posted:

Write a scraper and find out :byoscience:

e: jeez how many other months of '03 are gonna show up on this page?

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

- What sort of internship dev work I should be on the lookout for to help learn and grow a good knowledge base?

Depends on what you want to do. While we do all touch computers at the end of the day, being a web dev and playing with embedded software are very different experiences. If you're not quite sure yet, a decent consulting company can expose you to a lot of different things in a very short time.

- Likewise, are there any universal red flags that I should be aware of?

The job interview megathread is a pretty good resource. Be wary about :
- Interviewers who try to push you into a decision without giving you at least a day to consider
- Interviews that never actually discuss the act of programming
- You should ask about the tools and processes used. Especially Source Code Management, Continuous Integration, and Code acceptance practices. Lacking these is a red flag.
- Ask about Agile processes, and keep and eye out for bullshit.
- Beware of buzzwords.

- Are there any particular knowledges/skills that you feel (or have a sort of hunch) that can be useful for the future? Like, "learn some mobile dev programming because that isn't going to have a slow down in demand soon", etc.

Again, there is a bit of "follow your heart" here. It also depends on the sort of industry you get into. As long as you get your fundamental knowledge in, you can generally train into a specific role. I've personally traversed from app dev, to big data dev, to supply chain and manufacturing reporting dev, to aircraft systems and security dev, with a goodly smattering devops management along the way, and I'm presently angling into reverse engineering from assembly. All of these things were/are in plenty of demand. There is a shortage of devs in general, especially with lower-level skillsets.

- What subjects in computer science are particularly interesting and in-demand from the economy for a master's coursework (for example, if I am getting a Ms. in Software Engineering, what topics inside that frame would be great to showcase)?

Again, follow your heart. If its a computer touching activity that is fun to you, the rest follows. Computer science is such a broad and diverse field that there are many valid avenues to approach. If you look at a tech journal, you could believably find articles about a wide array of ridiculous things like Turing Test passing AI sexbots that upload data about your bed performance to the internet, security vulnerabilities that somebody found because they looked at some assembly code and realized it made a wire vibrate your password in a way that nearby radios could pick it up, and somebody porting DOOM to their refrigerator in javascript. All these things would make for a grand masters thesis, despite the only thing in common between them is some computing power and a very excited nerd wielding it. So, go figure out what excites you and tell a computer to do it.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Munkeymon posted:

Reporting in.

Work immigration advice question

From a education perspective, I'll echo the earlier sentiment: This hardly comes up except possibly as a passing topic when I interview fresh grads. I don't care what classes you took, I care about what you can produce, and the most we'll likely talk about school in an interview is 'So what courses did you find most interesting?' to see if you got really excited by building compilers, or doing raw algorithm stuff, or maybe building POC applications as a proof-of-concept. It's not about *what* the answer is so much as, for me, that you have one and you can show me that you're enthusiastic and engaged with the work.

From an internship perspective, just get experience in the code. And if you have overhead tinker in your spare time. I don't mean that you need to be a 'every waking moment with my code' sort of person - hell I don't personally even care much to look at whether you're hyperactive on github. I'm just suggesting that finding something to tinker with and learn about on your own energy is both valuable from a 'how to start seeing stuff you won't see in a single job' but also because it'll help you grow faster than just plucking tasks out of Jira. With regards to the work itself - just make sure you can answer questions about what you did from a high level (30 second description of the project and why it is important to the company) and dive into specifics as necessary (language, frameworks, tooling) as well as your own contributions (reworked unit tests, learned a lot while implementing a migration to a new framework, etc)

From a global work-immigration perspective, here's some sorely needed advice:
-You'll have an easier time of immigration with the structure and framework that university will provide, but from a proactive tip: spend as much time as possible building a social structure if you plan on sticking around after school. And keep in mind that even with school - there's likely to be an initial bump of isolation and potentially pretty bad homesickness. The latter is going to depend a lot on your personality and history, but it is still going to be a huge psychological shock to suddenly find yourself half across the world - not seeing family or friends for long intervals, surrounded by aliens from a different culture speaking a different language. Be prepared for that.

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe

Munkeymon posted:

Hello, did somebody say 2003? I feel very old now.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

feeling so young rn

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
where da moviez at

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Vulture Culture posted:

My first account was from 2000 but I got banned for breaking the tables in FYAG. :(

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Naar posted:

Hello, did somebody say 2003? I feel very old now.

Same, same :regd04:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh my god, what the gently caress is regd05?

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

Literal children.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Pollyanna posted:

Precisely what it looks like! I wonder if whoever bought it was an '05 trying to signal to other '05's that they were down to clown.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

quote:

Quality wisdomposting

Thanks, guys. I find a lot of poo poo in computer-fu interesting, so I'll not overthink stuff and put the effort on the exciting things. :unsmith:

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

CPColin posted:

Precisely what it looks like! I wonder if whoever bought it was an '05 trying to signal to other '05's that they were down to clown.

As I recall 2005 was a bad year for new members.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Cuntpunch posted:

Story checks out

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
All the regdate smileys were for older members looking down on younger members.

Speaking of which, '03? Get off my lawn!

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Maybe it's related to gooncamp

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Cuntpunch posted:

sup :smugdog:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I am explained :negative:

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
lol :smug:

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

Slimy Hog posted:

Maybe it's related to gooncamp

no that would be :gooncamp:

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I remember :regd07: being quite applicable at the time.

genki
Nov 12, 2003

M.C. McMic posted:

I've already been doing sample tests on a few sites. I also bought a book on coding interviews, which felt gross. I'm in a very good market. Developers are in high demand here. Should I keep sending out resumes or take a minute and really polish up on my coding tests?
When I did some job hunting recently, it took a good three or four interviews to get comfortable with the coding test format again. Interviewing is a skill, and I think if you don't do it regularly, it takes some time to remember the mindset. Applies for both behavioral questions and coding tests.

Which is to say, practical experience is really important, so it's probably worth doing as many interviews as possible to just get an idea of what kind of problems you might encounter. It sounds like you already see that you can do the problems with no issue outside of an interview setting, so I don't necessarily think delaying more interviewing is the best approach.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

indeed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jesus this place is like 20 years old and next year I will have been registered on these dead gay forums for half of my entire life.