Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Renaissance Robot posted:

Feeling supremely smug about getting to dob off work for four hours this morning to take a nice long ride out to a training centre.

If I'd known the weather would be this good I'd have gone to the one up in the hills instead

I have the weather app send daily reports every morning about the time I'm having my coffee for this reason. Wet and rainy short boring way to work, nice and clear taking the long twisty road that adds 15mins on Google maps but +100 happiness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I just leave spiders in my house and garage alone, but there's one that's been living at the bottom of my garage door for the past few weeks, and when I open the door it places it RIGHT above my head as I'm getting on and off my bike (and parking it). I would ignore it but it looks really close to a black widow (we have tons in the area), but the markings on its abdomen are more of a yellow/orange than red. I thought my repeated opening and closing the door would get it to move but nope, it just has to live there. Maybe I can prod it with a stick or something.

tjones
May 13, 2005
Could be a brown widow. Most spiders are beneficial, but I draw the line on Widows and Recluses. Kill it before it ends up biting you and makes you sick.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Imagine it dropping down on your neck while you're getting off your bike, and leaving a nice trail of Widow bites down tour back :kimchi:

tjones
May 13, 2005
Also if you don't keep your helmet indoors, please always check the liner before putting it on, especially if you know spiders hang around your home. An aggressive hand running around the folds and flaps of the fabric is usually enough to scare out or kill anything that might be inside.

I was once bitten on the cheek during a trail ride by something I never saw or felt. It caused a swollen area roughly the circumference of a tennis ball. It didn't cause any real pain or symptoms, but caused a lot of anxiety while I waited to see if my face was going to rot off. I've since kept my helmets in doors and to this day I do a good check before I put them on.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Thanks man!

:vomarine:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'm just glad we don't have brown recluses in California, a friend got bitten in the calf by one when he was traveling and his leg looked hosed UP for a while.

I think I'll just get the brake cleaner out tonight and take care of this guy

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

WAIT!

Nobody move, I'm a spider expert.

Are you sure you're not killing Argiope aurantia?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

c'mon I'm pretty sure if aragog was hanging out in their garage they wouldn't have posted about it before busting out the brake cleaner (and lighter)

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

WAIT!

Nobody move, I'm an internet mechanic.

Are you sure that using heat on brake cleaner won't create deadly PHOSGENE GAS?!

(link to a geocities page made in '98 by someone who spells it "break cleaner")

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slide Hammer posted:

WAIT!

Are you sure that using heat on brake cleaner won't create deadly PHOSGENE GAS?!

That story was actually about arc welding using chlorine-based brake cleaner. Mis-spelling aside chlorine + UV *does* create phosgene, which is extravagantly toxic in even tiny amounts.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

You don't need to use fire with brake cleaner, I haven't tried it on spiders yet but it will gently caress a wasp up pretty much instantly. I hate wasps with a passion, they're total dicks

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Slide Hammer posted:

WAIT!

This is by design, whether the spider dies or not you don't have to deal with it anymore

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Fifty Three posted:

This is by design, whether the spider dies or not you don't have to deal with it anymore

On the other hand, you'll be dealing with that spider for the rest of your life.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
You could just water with a drop of dish soap in a spray bottle. Same effect. No imagined/real chemical risks.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Or quit being a candy rear end and just move the spider somewhere else.

tjones
May 13, 2005
Knock it down and step on it like a normal person after checking to make sure its actually a widow?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

tjones posted:

Knock it down and step on it like a normal person after checking to make sure its actually a widow?

Sir, this is AI CA, we aren't in the business of being reasonable here :colbert:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

builds character posted:

On the other hand, you'll be dealing with that spider for the rest of your life.
That was the joke I was trying to make and hosed it up. :(

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MomJeans420 posted:

You don't need to use fire with brake cleaner, I haven't tried it on spiders yet but it will gently caress a wasp up pretty much instantly. I hate wasps with a passion, they're total dicks

I soak wasp nests in brake cleaner when I find them. They’re dead almost instantly, I’d argue it works better than Raid.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It's almost like this highly descriptive pictograph on the back of the can actually means something

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Took the wheels off the GS to have new tires mounted at the local shop. They scuffed one small spot on the lip of the front wheel when mounting the tire (not the end of the world) but it looks like they used brake cleaner to try and clean up the residue from one set of wheel weights. There's a good 40mm spot of varying width where the paint is just gone and the primer shows through.

It's smooth, there's no rough edge I can catch with a fingernail so it's not been scraped off. I thought it might have been something on top of the paint, but 91% isopropyl didn't touch it and using some fine cut rubbing compound actually started taking more paint off. If it were a little small chunk I wouldn't give a poo poo, but this is a very noticeable 40mm long spot of missing paint. I really need to put together a tire changing setup.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

5 gallon bucket and a set of tire levers is really all you need, and I’ve done it without the bucket a few times.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

My buddy showed me how on just a shop rug, simple green, and some tire spoons. Def worth learning.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

RadioPassive posted:

5 gallon bucket and a set of tire levers is really all you need, and I’ve done it without the bucket a few times.

I thought we were talking about spiders or wasps still. Couldn't figure out what the bucket was for.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Literally just got home from driving out to a guy with a custom chopper which wouldn't drive forward in any gear, just stopped randomly in the road. He knows I'm not able to transport his bike, but was convinced I could find the problem on the spot as he could see nothing visibly wrong.

The drive belt had broken and disappeared somewhere. I pointed this out and drove home.

:bang:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

:thunk:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I hope you billed him for the callout, and for tapping your sagelike wisdom.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Unfortunately it was like a courtesy thing because I already have his other, considerably worse custom chopper undergoing multi-thousand dollar repairs (wiring harness made of 7 core trailer cable by a glass BBQ enthusiast) AND I had fixed the drive--belt one a couple of weeks ago in an unrelated repair.

Just super hosed off he didn't USE HIS loving EYES and just tell me he needed a drive belt and the associated million gaskets over the phone.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My absolute favorite thing is seeing big stretched out WEST COAST CHOPPERS-style bikes on Craigslist for like $40K because the owner bought them at the height of a fad fueled by a show on the discovery channel for $100K and now they have to unload them in a market that wont bear even rock bottom chopper prices.

Who could have ever seen this coming? :thunk:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

My absolute favorite thing is seeing big stretched out WEST COAST CHOPPERS-style bikes on Craigslist for like $40K because the owner bought them at the height of a fad fueled by a show on the discovery channel for $100K and now they have to unload them in a market that wont bear even rock bottom chopper prices.

Who could have ever seen this coming? :thunk:

Those same guys are currently getting lowballed by NZers who pack the bikes into crates and ship them over here to be sold to gang members for hilarious profits. Then said gang members run the things into the ground until they won't run anymore, and that's where I come in!

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

Those same guys are currently getting lowballed by NZers who pack the bikes into crates and ship them over here to be sold to gang members for hilarious profits. Then said gang members run the things into the ground until they won't run anymore, and that's where I come in!

It's the circle of strife.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Backpanther has less than 2 years of probation left

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Is he even still alive

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hey just FYI in case your ducati rear MC keeps making GBS threads itself, and your dealer has no idea why, I think I've figured it out. It took some pondering and technical investigation but I think I've finally got to the bottom of it:

The brake fluid reservoir is an inch away from the rear header and there is no heat shield whatsoever. On a loving monster 1100 from 2013. Literally changed the brake fluid a year ago for the guy; front still looks nice and clear, rear fluid is a dark brown color and the reservoir cap melted itself to the little rubber baffle on the inside. It's done 2500km since I last saw it.

Ducati I'm expecting a cheque in the mail.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

~*~ENGINEERING~*~

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Slavvy posted:

Hey just FYI in case your ducati rear MC keeps making GBS threads itself, and your dealer has no idea why, I think I've figured it out. It took some pondering and technical investigation but I think I've finally got to the bottom of it:

The brake fluid reservoir is an inch away from the rear header and there is no heat shield whatsoever. On a loving monster 1100 from 2013. Literally changed the brake fluid a year ago for the guy; front still looks nice and clear, rear fluid is a dark brown color and the reservoir cap melted itself to the little rubber baffle on the inside. It's done 2500km since I last saw it.

Ducati I'm expecting a cheque in the mail.

My buddy managed to ROAST a set of pads, and rotor, and lock up the rear wheel and drag tire on his 999 because the adjuster nut on his rear brake decided to re-adjust itself on a spirited jaunt. I think it was probably dragging pad for 4ish miles at speed before it happened.

This was before the wiring fire of course.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Such character. Much heritage

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Why the gently caress does Husqvarna/Magura have to use a loving cast aluminum pin and bolt swing clamp to attach their cylinders to the bars, instead of the two-bolt saddle clamp that Brembo, and every Japanese bike in existence use? The one where I can get a billet replacement for $5 and have overnight for $15 shipped? At least it's objectively weaker, less adjustable and shittier I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Elviscat posted:

Why the gently caress does Husqvarna/Magura have to use a loving cast aluminum pin and bolt swing clamp to attach their cylinders to the bars, instead of the two-bolt saddle clamp that Brembo, and every Japanese bike in existence use? The one where I can get a billet replacement for $5 and have overnight for $15 shipped? At least it's objectively weaker, less adjustable and shittier I guess.

Because on the race bike that hinging part has no mirror so it makes taking it on and off a gently caress off a lot faster; only has one bolt and you don't have to line anything up or get anything the right way around, literally thirty seconds with a t-bar.

KTM/husky in general have a huge amount of massively compromised design on them intended to benefit their race teams or whatever at the detriment of normal people who just want a decent machine. Things are routinely made too light at the detriment of reliability, engine service philosophy is biased toward swapping out the whole motor, stuff like that. Kind of the direct opposite of Honda's 'it's a dependable commuter vehicle first, 1000cc superbike second' approach.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 20, 2019