Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
KnowBe4 is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Agrikk posted:

If you are interested in looking at the performance of 10g in your environment, building a lab out of eBay is always an option if you have $500-600 in your budget.

For this very purpose I bought a Force10 fiber switch, four Mellanox ConnectX-2 HBAs and eight 10g transceivers for my lab. It was fun to mess around with in my ESX environment with a stretched vSAN and I learned a lot.

That said, I do not recommend using any eBay gear in a production environment because there is no guarantee on the reliability of the gear and no warranty and no support.

But it’s cheap way to get access to technology (albeit five year old technology) for proof-of-concept and learning potential.

We have a 10Gbe setup in our environment already - it's just for us in video production (since we work centrally from a 100tb central storage). It's loving awesome and amazing.

There's just no budget to do that for the designers on iMacs unfortunately.

And, also unfortunately, I'm generally buy with other stuff since I'm actually an animator/VFX guy and no real time to learn or mess around. It's a lovely situation. Ugh.

edit: oh also and we have no budget at all. So generally it's just a "find a way to convince the boss to spend X amount of money."

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 26, 2019

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bring consultants in. They're good at that.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Sheep posted:

KnowBe4 is pretty good.

Seconding this. Been using them for a year.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

we use and resell knowbe4 it's pretty good and their support is good too
their sales are super annoying

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

wolrah posted:

If you have access to the phones' web interfaces I can give you some ideas on how to possibly make a pair of phones support directly calling each other IP to IP, which would allow you to conclusively test LAN performance.

YES what's a good way to talk to you

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

Bring consultants in. They're good at that.

Ex-Consultant reporting for duty.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

What would be the migration path to go from Server 2012 r2 essentials to server 2019 standard?

I've never loving dealt with essentials so this should be exciting...

This is about the closest I can find to something of an answer, but doesn't mention essentials -> standard: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started-19/install-upgrade-migrate-19

This says it applies to both 2016 and 2019 but it's mildly unclear and doesn't provide a path: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started/supported-upgrade-paths

I'm going to be installing 2019 on new hardware.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 27, 2019

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

What components of essentials are you actually using? You would want to treat each component migration separately, with AD being migrated last.

Or just burn it all down and rebuild from scratch, that's my vote.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

The Fool posted:

What components of essentials are you actually using? You would want to treat each component migration separately, with AD being migrated last.

Or just burn it all down and rebuild from scratch, that's my vote.

Yeah I'm really debating option 2.

As for what components, good question, I have no loving clue, I haven't even logged into this clients server yet; got a invoice in my email with client copied on it saying equipment is on the way to our office. Saw standard licensing and mentioned there's 2019 essentials but we're moving forward with standard anyway.

*edit*

I have seen a single essentials server before (logged into a different clients server a week ago) and I honestly have never looked it up because I never thought I'd be in a position where essentials would become my loving problem to upgrade/migrate/administer.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 27, 2019

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Hope you remembered your CALs

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I Inherited A Network

hosted mitel situation that has had qos issues since forever. there were no qos controls here at all. I put some prioritization on the edge switch, helped a little but still issues. my next is to put qos on the core switch. what else do I need to look at? I'm not a networking guy

Is there a sonicwall somewhere between your phones and mitel? They tend to mangle voip without some tweaking.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Matt Zerella posted:

Is there a sonicwall somewhere between your phones and mitel? They tend to mangle voip.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Tell me more about unfortunate SonicWall-voip interactions. I’m likely to have that situation in a couple of months.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Albinator posted:

Tell me more about unfortunate SonicWall-voip interactions. I’m likely to have that situation in a couple of months.

SIP and NAT are not friends. SonicWall tries to help by messing with the SIP messages, but they do a very bad job of it. Most vendors that try this do it wrong.

Most modern SIP server platforms provide NAT workarounds that do it better than most router-level fuckery, but SonicWall will still mangle things by default and not only interfere with that but often end up just totally breaking things.

Disable all "SIP ALG" features and make sure your NAT timeouts are larger than your registration interval, you'll be fine.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 27, 2019

Eikre
May 2, 2009
It's called a "sonic wall," so of course you can't speak through it. Working as intended! :v:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've never had a problem running SIP trunks through Sonicwalls :shrug:

The SIP ALG defaults to off, the only thing that can trip you up is the default UDP timeout is something stupid like 30 seconds.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Yeah, Sonicwalls with series 6 firmware have a settings page specifically for all things VoIP, and it is all disabled by default.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They’re still bad it’s just for other reasons

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanks Ants posted:

I've never had a problem running SIP trunks through Sonicwalls :shrug:

The SIP ALG defaults to off, the only thing that can trip you up is the default UDP timeout is something stupid like 30 seconds.
I have never set up a Sonicwall from zero, but I've also never once encountered one where it was turned off.

Without exaggeration I can say that every single time we've installed our phones at a site with a pre-existing Sonicwall the ALG has been enabled and has caused one-way or no-way audio. If it's not on by default now either it was at some point in the past or there's some popular "best practices" guide out there that says to turn it on which all of these people followed. Or maybe the GUI makes it seem really appealing when they're poking around. I don't know, all I know is it's always turned on when I show up.

At least both that and the stupid UDP timeout cause very repeatable behaviors that are easy to identify.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

They’re still bad it’s just for other reasons

I've never really had any issues with them to be honest. I have a small "fleet" of 14x TZ400 for branch locations and 2x TZ500 in HA config.

In all the years we have used them, I have contacted support exactly once. And they actually solved my problem on the first reply. :shrug:

Even doing some slightly more complicated stuff like multiple VLANs, OSPF routing over multiple VPN tunnels, etc...

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Yeah I managed a sonicwall once. Exactly once. Then I made the executive decision to throw all sonicwalls in the trash and sell SRXs instead. And since I was the manager we never sold a sonicwall again.

They suck. I can type up something more verbose when Im not phone posting.

E: I should clarify theyre mediocre, yet still functional, but I wouldnt buy one for myself.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

Is there a sonicwall somewhere between your phones and mitel? They tend to mangle voip without some tweaking.

no just other stuff
i'm gonna bring someone smarter than me in to look at it

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Oh I realised my biggest issue with Sonicwalls is that the config is some arcane binary format so there can be stuff that the firewall is running, or some old crusty settings left over from before a firmware upgrade that are now hidden, and you have no way to see what's going on or to fix it. It's good!

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Oh I realised my biggest issue with Sonicwalls is that the config is some arcane binary format so there can be stuff that the firewall is running, or some old crusty settings left over from before a firmware upgrade that are now hidden, and you have no way to see what's going on or to fix it. It's good!

I actually did run into that before... so yeah that is a pain in the rear end.

Granted I was attempting to pull in the configuration from a Sonicwall running a ~6 year old firmware version. I was surprised it even let me try.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

SonicWALL does a lot of things exceptionally sub-standard.

There are parts of the default config you cannot alter or remove (for no reason).
They are extremely finnicky with VoIP over SIP.
NetXtender is a huge hunk of poo poo that sucks rear end.
They don't like to do site to site VPN's easily with some other vendors equipment.
The firmware auto-update feature didn't let you schedule the actual loving time it decided to reboot last I used one.
The UTM features are... ok? ish?
I find their GUI layout to be poorly designed.

They're just all around "Ok". I can't think of a reason to actually install one over an ASA or an SRX though.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

aren't sonicwalls cheaper?

I'm a sonicwall certified security systems administrator :smug: because we needed X number of people to be Good Resellers. the whole training course was the trainer saying "well in cisco it's better but here's how you do it with sonicwall"

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Some of the content filtering features on a Sonicwall 2040 can't be turned off. Our upstream was heavily constrained until I got them to RMA the unit. I'm glad I checked the old unit one last time before swapping in the new one - when they RMAd it, they also disabled the filtering "feature" and suddenly we were in double digits upstream.

Needless to say, none of the engineers I'd dealt with thought of that as possible cause. I laughed at the poor woman who called me a couple of months later for support contract renewal. Politely, but laughing.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

aren't sonicwalls cheaper?

Not really. Most of the major vendors have brought their smb to small enterprise lines within competitive price ranges across the board for ngfw models with utm subscriptions.

Butt Swartzky
May 20, 2001

Could I have some recommendations for client backup services? Servers are taken care of, but we're currently using MozyPro on ~100 client laptops and will be forced to move to Carbonite due to their acquisition. I'm not crazy about Mozy, everyone says Carbonite is poo poo, and the increase in cost will be significant if we stay the course. Everyone seems to offer unlimited storage/central administration/etc. on their features page so I'd appreciate your first-hand experiences with what's actually cool and what's actually rear end.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Are you on O365? If so, consider OneDrive Known Folders.

Otherwise, Crashplan is one that I have used with clients at $oldJob and did not have any serious problems with. That was a few years ago though.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

What’s the best way to convince g suite users to move to o365

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Don't? I'm being semi-serious, is it your job to sell the benefits of a move from one service to the other - e.g. are you an executive who has to get people on-board? If you're a MS Partner trying to sell the benefits then there's a bunch of material they produce to help you.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Side by side Outlook with the loving horrific GMail interface.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Depends a lot on your pain points with g suite.

Directory management? O365 gives you AADConnect.
Missing the desktop suite, or paying extra for it? It's included in O365.
Automation and/or management issues? Powershell is a first class citizen.
Need a messaging platform? Teams is better than anything Google does right now.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Don't? I'm being semi-serious, is it your job to sell the benefits of a move from one service to the other - e.g. are you an executive who has to get people on-board? If you're a MS Partner trying to sell the benefits then there's a bunch of material they produce to help you.

I am consulting a company that is merging with another. One firm uses G Suite and one uses O365. I asked the question the way I did because I know everyone here is on the o365 train (per my "fantasy saas" question from the other day).

The point is I need to advise them to pick ONE, obviously. I'm telling them the core functionality is basically the same and therefore they should make a political decision - which side of the new org do they want to piss off less. I also have a little table with feature comparisons.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

G Suite is terrible for admin-level control of stuff like delegating out permissions etc. - it all requires the end-users to do it themselves, or for you to use a third-party tool like GAM which G Suite support don't want to know about and won't help you with. O365 on the other hand can have everything managed through PowerShell.

O365 gives you Outlook, using Gmail in Outlook is just not worth it, it's so bad.

If you have any requirement for retention then the tools in O365 are so much better than Google's it's not even a fair comparison.

When staff leave you can turn their mailbox into a shared one and attach it to someone else's Outlook profile, G Suite doesn't have a sane way to manage recent leavers yet, other than to keep paying out for the license.

As nice as G Suite can be sometimes, I wouldn't consider a new deployment on it for one second.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

thanks ants

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Digital_Jesus posted:

Not really. Most of the major vendors have brought their smb to small enterprise lines within competitive price ranges across the board for ngfw models with utm subscriptions.

I deployed a full stack meraki (I was given a hog wild budget) and I'm mad I'm stuck with sonicwalls in my HQ for the foreseeable future. The features and usability is night and day and i'm not actually paying that much more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanks Ants posted:

O365 gives you Outlook, using Gmail in Outlook is just not worth it, it's so bad.
I completely agree about the admin tools, but it amazes me to see so many people in this thread speaking of Outlook as if it's a good thing instead of a fragile, overgrown pile of poo poo.

IMO the fact that Outlook sucks with Gmail is just one more reason to avoid Outlook, not a reason to switch to 365. The worst users I have to deal with are the ones who refuse to learn anything other than Outlook.