Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's been years since I've tried it, but white decal paper is thick as hell and awful to work with.

You're better off painting the base area white, printing a clear decal, then painting around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
That's disappointing to hear, but I'm sure better to hear than to experience.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I have like 4 different armies I've started and I am eyeing starting at least two more and just bought the AoS core book and still haven't played a single game of the multiple miniature based things I've been painting for the last two years

is this how the hobby works?

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Quidthulhu posted:

I have like 4 different armies I've started and I am eyeing starting at least two more and just bought the AoS core book and still haven't played a single game of the multiple miniature based things I've been painting for the last two years

Lots of people collect and paint but don't play much. Conversely, lots of people don't paint but play all the time. Both are normal and valid.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Quidthulhu posted:

It's a hobby for me to do after work to de-stress or just focus intently on something that isn't tv or a video game. It's a pleasant pastime that takes your mind off things in the real world and also delivers satisfaction in the form of product.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I meant more owning and painting 5 different armies but thanks! I am actually really excited to play soon, I'm working on getting a Necron army up and running and figure that'll give me a baseline of understanding that will let me more easily determine which army I want to build into next.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Quidthulhu posted:

I meant more owning and painting 5 different armies but thanks! I am actually really excited to play soon, I'm working on getting a Necron army up and running and figure that'll give me a baseline of understanding that will let me more easily determine which army I want to build into next.

Oh yeah I took you as joking, yeah everyone is a stupid rear end in a top hat that bites off much more than they can chew!

head58
Apr 1, 2013

moths posted:

It's been years since I've tried it, but white decal paper is thick as hell and awful to work with.

You're better off painting the base area white, printing a clear decal, then painting around it.

I’ve used both white and clear inkjet water slide transfer paper and never really noticed a difference in thickness or had a problem applying either one.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

One model a day progress from the last month or so, nearly 800 points of table ready AdMech!

And now that I've finally painted all of them, it's time to buy more to assemble and then need to paint.

Is that the Thousand Sons blue, or a different color? I sort of thought about doing the Skitarii Start Collecting set I bought in the Brilliant Blue scheme (as shown in the Citadel Paint app)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Quidthulhu posted:

Are you happy? Then yeah that's how it works.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

In this case "white is an option" means you're cutting out white paper into the exact shape of the decal. It's not the same as white ink.

There used to be something called an ALPS printer that could output white ink. This was many, many years ago and it was OOP even then. It was the decal printer of choice and there are/were a couple of people using them as the cornerstone of their custom decal business.

I wonder if anyone's made a modern equivalent?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Stephenls posted:

Hi, I’m Lea, and I have a problem. That problem is overthinking things. Recently that problem has manifested here in a few ways, including “Shadowspear is going to be bespoke plastic monopose models and herald a big wave of further releases for chaos and space marines, given the size of the PR buildup it got,” “We’re getting a new rhino,” and “I think these chaos sculpts are old and have been delayed by the fallout of GW’s management change a few years ago.” That’s something that turned out true, something that was laughable false, and something that’s both irrelevant and unfalsifiable, so enh.

I am in hell.

Make yourself a custom successor chapter to one of the cool ones like World Bearers or Alpha Legion. Then you don't have to worry about the fluff not fitting exactly. "We're a new cohort of Alpha Legion made of new space marines converted over as alpha legion spies" or some poo poo. With dudes dying in war, you have to be bringing in new numbers somehow. Or like, "We're a group of world bearers who got split off from the main army and never became berserk" or whatever.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Z the IVth posted:

There used to be something called an ALPS printer that could output white ink. This was many, many years ago and it was OOP even then. It was the decal printer of choice and there are/were a couple of people using them as the cornerstone of their custom decal business.

I wonder if anyone's made a modern equivalent?

There are still custom decal companies that offer white so I would assume so.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

Is that the Thousand Sons blue, or a different color? I sort of thought about doing the Skitarii Start Collecting set I bought in the Brilliant Blue scheme (as shown in the Citadel Paint app)

It is Temple Guard Blue smothered in Agrax Earthshade.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
LensFX is the best thing in the world. It's like making pew pew noises while playing, but in photo form.

Opentarget
Mar 17, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Sure. You need decal paper and a printer. I used a high quality laser printer from work. All I did was create the decal (in my case the skull and crown logo from clip art) and then copy/pasted several examples in Word to determine which color worked out the best. Once I had figured that out I printed out a bunch of decals in that color, doing everything from various skulls to all of the squad markings. A single 8.5" x 11" sheet has enough real estate to make nearly anything you want. The decals are cut out and applied exactly the same way as the regular ones. The only caveat is that you can't print decals, but for Crimson Fists that shouldn't be an issue. What I would do is take a high resolution image like this, remove all of the blue so that the white sections become clear, and apply the red right over the previously painted armor. Should look great!

Hell yeah, thanks a ton!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Wrong thread.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 27, 2019

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Quidthulhu posted:

40 is about as fun to play as tic tac toe. Its nothing more than an excuse to force people to look at your models for 3 hours. So yeah, this is how the hobby works.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Stephenls posted:

-Alpha Legion is great, but it feels weird to paint up the regular CSM sculpts as Alpha Legion. They ought to be built as a mixture of regular Space Marines and older armor marks, painted green, or possibly painted up as loyalist chapters with green poking through the weathering and e.g. snake heads added to the end of the Ultramarine upside-down omegas. That would be fun! But those aren’t the models I have.

Slam some MKIV or better yet Alpha Legion-specific Forgeworld helmets, weapons, and/or backpacks on those Chaos Marines from Shadowspear and they look sick! I'm going for the Alpha Legion as pictured in their last two 40K Black Library books and super happy with the result. The scale, posing, and detail on the new marine models are so much better than the old ones it's not even funny.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Reg Standard up to par again - https://regimental-standard.com/2019/03/27/thats-the-machine-spirit/

quote:

Praise the Machine Spirit
Should oiling fail, you may wish to extol the virtues of your lasgun through chanting. Should the standard Infantryman’s Creed fail to coax the machine spirit into action, some binharic cant may work. We would recommend 01010000 01100101 01110111 00100001 00100000 01010000 01100101 01110111 00100001, or catchier ditties like 01001111 01100100 01100101 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01100001 00100000 01000110 01101100 01100001 01110011 01101000 01101100 01101001 01100111 01101000 01110100.

Pew! Pew! and Ode to a flashlight respectively.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
Granted I haven't looked into the renegade knights much, but why isn't there a Chaos version of the ubiquitous Castellan list? Do they just not have a equivalent?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

slut chan posted:

Granted I haven't looked into the renegade knights much, but why isn't there a Chaos version of the ubiquitous Castellan list? Do they just not have a equivalent?

They don't get the strategems that make it great.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

slut chan posted:

Both the Knights and the infantry you'd be using as your CP battery are very inferior to the loyalist versions. The Renegade Knights Index gives you only one warlord trait and relic, both of which aren't very good, and only 2 strategems, along with no house bonuses.

EDIT: Wait is the "Castellan list" just a Castellan in a SHAD? I guess only the stratagems are meaningful then.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Okay, I got a plan. Based on this helldrake and the mention in ADB’s Night Lords Trilogy of especially heinous Night Lords being sentenced to death but that death sentence being put off so they can continue serving, with such condemned Night Lords being required to stain their hands red, I’mma do an especially and proudly deviant Night Lords warband who stain their hands (and possibly feet) red, openly consort with and worship chaos, and recruit heavily from renegade chapters and other Legions. It’s an easy effect to achieve with an airbrush and will give me a chance to play with reds, blues, and even deep purples; and will explain to my own satisfaction why their armor is so much more chaos-y than feels right for more “pure” Night Lords.

I’ll get around to doing this soon, I’m sure.

(My experience with the City of Heroes character creator many years ago taught me that it can look really good to have a character with darker colors in the torso and brighter ones at the hands and feet.)

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Who wants booby daemons?!?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeTT6emb0aQ

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

I am so pumped for this release.

https://twitter.com/GamesWerkshop/status/1111000846324719617

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

I think someone might be getting sacked for that

haakman
May 5, 2011
oh god please be a joint 40k release.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Mango Polo posted:

I think someone might be getting sacked for that

Parody account

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

haakman posted:

oh god please be a joint 40k release.

Any Daemons likely will be usable in both.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Y’all always miss the werk.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Plavski posted:

Parody account

Fuuuuuuuuuck :(

Well OK that makes more sense. Thanks for the heads up friend :)

e. I see, werkshop not workshop

e2. I hope the person behind that chokes on a chicken bone

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 27, 2019

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
That person is doing an essential service.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
*Resets “It has been [blank] days since someone was fooled by Games Werkshop” counter back to “zero”*

That YouTube video isn’t fake. Man I hope this means I’m wrong about the Noise Marine update timeline.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

:discourse:

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

Booley posted:

They don't get the strategems that make it great.

Well then, that explains that. Kinda makes it obvious what needs to change for loyalist knights.

Not to rehash this whole conversation.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
I was just watching Snipe and Wib retrospective on the history of space marine models, most of which I've owned over the years.

On that trip down memory lane I was reminded of how flexible and unrefined the concept was early on (1st to 2nd ed), and of something I saw on the shelves of a WHSmith just after the release of Space Crusade computer game, so I went a searching and the internet coughed up...

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

lmao

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
That twitter is doing God's werk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Desiderata posted:

I was just watching Snipe and Wib retrospective on the history of space marine models, most of which I've owned over the years.

On that trip down memory lane I was reminded of how flexible and unrefined the concept was early on (1st to 2nd ed), and of something I saw on the shelves of a WHSmith just after the release of Space Crusade computer game, so I went a searching and the internet coughed up...

What chapter is that. I want to play space marines that got ladies.:cool: