Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

The problem with Yud's insult to his readers is that there are so many other 11 year olds he failed to write.

Unless everyone is a horcrux.

Or Arya Stark wearing a face. Spooky crossover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

The Shortest Path posted:

Yeah that part at least was goddamn prescient.
More like 'paid the slightest attention to history,' because seriously, this happened how many times in the 20th century alone?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

quote:

this Mirror reflects itself perfectly and therefore its existence is absolutely stable.

Timeless Decision Theory spotted

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I kind of wonder what Yud thinks about the problem of infinite regress as it applies to information science, or if he's even aware that it exist at all. It kind of seems like he doesn't.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Cardiovorax posted:

I kind of wonder what Yud thinks about the problem of infinite regress as it applies to information science, or if he's even aware that it exist at all. It kind of seems like he doesn't.

He literally hypothesises uncomputable quantities like Kolmogorov complexity as things you should totally apply in daily life, so no

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Chapter 110: Reflections, Pt 2

Dumbledore is surprised to see that Voldemort is Quirrell. Voldemort is smug. I think maybe we're meant to agree with Quirrell in this section, but Dumbledore is actually right.

Eliezer Yudkowsky posted:

Professor Quirrell chuckled; he looked for all the world as though the two of them were just having a casual conversation. "I never was insane, you know. Lord Voldemort was just another game for me, the same as Professor Quirrell."

Albus Dumbledore did not look like he was enjoying a casual chat. "I thought you might say that. I regret to inform you, Tom, that anyone who can bring himself to act the part of Voldemort is Voldemort."

"Ah," said Professor Quirrell, raising an admonishing finger. "There is a loophole in that reasoning, old man. Anyone who acts the part of Voldemort must be what moralists call 'evil', on this we agree. But perhaps the real me is completely, utterly, irredeemably evil in an interestingly different fashion from what I was pretending with Voldemort -"

"I find," Albus Dumbledore ground out, "that I do not care."
I guess Voldemort is not a Kurt Vonnegut fan.

Then Dumbledore gets real dumb in order to fit within the parameters that Yudkowsky's set for him. Voldemort basically asks him why it was OK for Flamel to be immortal but no one else, and Dumbledore just sort of halfheartedly denies it. Voldemort then tries to blame Dumbledore for setting him on the path to evil and Dumbledore quite reasonably denies culpability.

Voldemort tries to leave and finds he can't. Dumbledore's just been stalling to allow his trap time to close. Voldemort recognises the spell and says that Dumbledore can't stop it now but could change the target from Voldemort to himself. Dumbledore says he won't do that, even to save hostages. Then Voldemort reveals that Harry's there too and will also be caught in the trap, and Dumbledore immediately changes his mind and reverses it, trapping himself. Maybe?

The end of the chapter is ambiguous since Dumbledore said he was both inside the mirror and wherever else he was supposed to be at the same time, so it seems like he might still be in two places? Whatever that means. And it's not clear why Dumbledore valued Harry so highly that he'd reverse the trap in order to spare him when he'd literally just said he didn't care about any hostages Voldemort might have.

But it looks like Voldemort's got the Stone and gotten rid of Dumbledore, so now I guess it's all up to Harry.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I do think that, in spite of Yud's efforts, Dumbledire is probably the best written character in this story, and, for all that Yud sets him up as a straw man character, setting up arguments to be knocked down, I find myself agreeing with him more than anyone else in the story.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Let's Read HPMOR: "I find," Albus Dumbledore ground out, "that I do not care."

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Jazerus posted:

mods

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Jazerus posted:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Epicurius posted:

I do think that, in spite of Yud's efforts, Dumbledire is probably the best written character in this story, and, for all that Yud sets him up as a straw man character, setting up arguments to be knocked down, I find myself agreeing with him more than anyone else in the story.
The simple fact that he is the strawman who is set up to oppose the Yudisms of both sides makes it unavoidable for him to be anything but the most sympathetic character in the story. It doesn't matter how bad he is on his own merits, the sheer awfulness of the people he's set up to contrast with makes him look like the good guy by default.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Chapter 111: Failure, Pt 1

Voldemort says he's going to fulfil his promise to revive Hermione and leads Harry to a secret passage that turns out to be some kind of massive maze, which gives Harry plenty of time to try to think of ways to stop him. But he doesn't think of anything useful and the passage leads to a graveyard. Text in italics is spoken in parseltongue and therefore supposedly must be true.

There was a rumbling sound, and smoothly from the ground rose an altar, at least two meters wide and of black stone carved with grey sigils. And then surrounding the altar groaned up six dark-marble obelisks, regularly spaced, gleaming darkly beneath the fading twilight sky.

The unanswerable alarm in Harry's brain grew louder.

"This," said the Dark Lord in Professor Quirrell's cadences, "is a workspace I made for myself, convenient to either Hogwarts or Hogsmeade." The Dark Lord flourished a hand at the altar. "That is where Miss Granger shall revive, and also where I shall be reborn into my true body. I shall remake myself first, of course. Magics to revive girl-child easier with true body." A strange snakish laughter accompanied these words. "Rest assured that though some aspects of girl-child's resurrection shall be what others consider Dark, girl-child will not be harmed or made ugly by it. Shall still look like herself, mind shall be her own, nor shall I or mine harm her after."

Harry's tongue was dry and his mind was having trouble functioning. "Please, Professor, would you say in Parseltongue what is your real purpose in resurrecting Miss Granger?"

"To restore to you girl-child friend's counsel and restraint. To make sure she is part of the world for you to care about. That, boy, is truly the greater part of the reason I am doing this deed." Again snakish laughter accompanied these words, conveying sardonic awareness of some vast irony.
Then Voldemort uses the Philosopher's Stone to restore his own body, which leaves Quirrell alive and free - but Voldemort quickly stuns him. Then he tries to revive Hermione but it doesn't work.

"Girl's body is restored. Substance is repaired. But not magic, or life... this is body of dead Muggle." Voldemort turned from the altar, began to pace. "The full ritual would solve this. But that would require time... time and the blood of Granger's enemy, and I do not think Draco Malfoy still qualifies, nor can I take my own blood unwillingly... foolish." Voldemort's voice was a lower hiss. "Foolish, I should have foreseen this, and prepared. Her brain might awaken with an electrical shock, I know that much of Muggle medicine... but would her magic return to her? That I do not know, and I suspect if she awakens as a Muggle she will be a Muggle forever. Still, I can think of nothing better." The Dark Lord raised his wand -
Then Harry has an idea and asks for his wand back to try it, saying (in Parseltongue) that he has no intention of using his wand on Voldemort (which apparently he can say because he has no specific intention to use it on Voldemort at this time, even though he knows he might change his mind later). Voldemort believes him and gives his wand back. Of course Harry's plan is to summon a patronus, because in this story they can destroy death, and of course it works. Voldemort then summons a mountain troll and a unicorn and sacrifices them to make Hermione practically immortal. Then I think he tries to make a super-horcrux for her so she'll actually be really, properly immortal, but something goes wrong? I'm just going to paste the end of the chapter here because I don't understand what's happening.

"And now, my dear boy," Voldemort's high voice was laced with grim amusement, as his wand briefly tapped Hermione Granger's forehead with a casual gesture, "I make this diary into a far more precious gift, a sign of how much wisdom I have learned from you. For I would never want you to be deprived of Hermione Granger's counsel and restraint, not ever while the stars yet live. Avadakedavra."

The green bolt of the Killing Curse blazed out faster than Harry could possibly have cast the Patronus Charm, faster than he could possibly have moved, it was already over even as Harry cried out and went for his wand.

Quirinus Quirrell's unconscious body did not even jerk, in death. The green light struck into it without other sign.

Darkness glowed in the air, anti-light in the trails that Voldemort had made before, and the Diary of Roger Bacon darkened as though corruption were creeping over it, even as a shiver appeared in the air around Hermione Granger's form.

The pain in Harry's scar flared overwhelmingly, like a brand driven into his forehead, it sent Harry dodging unthinkingly to one side as Tom Riddle's reflexes took over.

And Voldemort was also screaming, shrieking as he dropped the diary to the ground, holding his own head and screaming.

Chance -

The last voice of hope said that, as Harry tried frantically to think, to understand. There wasn't any point in trying to kill Voldemort now, it might only annoy him, weapons couldn't kill him while any of his hundreds of horcruxes remained -

But it still seemed worth it to temporarily discarnate Voldemort, take the Stone and Hermione and run.

Harry's right hand had already taken his wand. His left hand went around to his back, reached awkwardly into his pouch, began to make a silent sign, three English letters.

"No!" cried Voldemort. He'd dropped his hands from his head, was staring at Hermione's body as though bewildered. "No, no!"

The item came up from Harry's pouch into his hand, and Harry began to step forward as smoothly as he could, diminishing the range between them to what his brief trials had shown was doable.

"My great creation -" gasped Voldemort. His voice was high, sounding panicked. "Two different spirits cannot exist in the same world - it is gone, it is severed! A horcrux, I must make a horcrux at once -" Voldemort's gaze fell on Hermione Granger's still-sleeping form, and he began to raise his wand in the air, executing the same gestures as before.

Harry raised his gun and pulled the trigger three times.
So I think that trying to make a horcrux for Hermione somehow destroyed all of his own horcruxes? That seems awfully convenient. And anticlimactic. But we've got 11 chapters to go so I guess it's not going to be that simple.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention, Hermione was naked for, like, half this chapter - until Harry specifically asked Voldemort to put some clothes on her. And she was either dead or unconscious for the entire chapter.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Mar 8, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

Text in italics is spoken in parseltongue and therefore supposedly must be true.
'
This isn't addressing any of the other stupidity in that chapter, but personally, I kind of wonder if Yudkowsky is a Wheel of Time fan. I really don't expect anyone else to take the time to actually read that series, which can reasonably be measured in weeks, but to anyone who does know it, I got to admit I'm getting a feeling of the type of person who would like it unironically from him. With all that this implies.

quote:

Aes Sedai never lie, but the truth you hear may not be the truth they speak.

There are so many ways a restriction like that can make you sound a lot more clever than you really are.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I thought this was good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMabpBvtXr4&t=1s

(Maybe more appropriate for the dark enlightenment thread?)

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

If you enjoy knocking down straw men, sure.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

About halfway through it talks about "rationalists" a bit and that part was fairly accurate to the people who are Extremely Into yud's poo poo, it's otherwise not particularly relevant though.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The Shortest Path posted:

About halfway through it talks about "rationalists" a bit and that part was fairly accurate to the people who are Extremely Into yud's poo poo, it's otherwise not particularly relevant though.
Oh yeah, I forgot to use the timecode for the particularly relevant part.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Tiggum posted:

Chapter 111: Failure, Pt 1

Voldemort says he's going to fulfil his promise to revive Hermione and leads Harry to a secret passage that turns out to be some kind of massive maze, which gives Harry plenty of time to try to think of ways to stop him. But he doesn't think of anything useful and the passage leads to a graveyard. Text in italics is spoken in parseltongue and therefore supposedly must be true.

Then Voldemort uses the Philosopher's Stone to restore his own body, which leaves Quirrell alive and free - but Voldemort quickly stuns him. Then he tries to revive Hermione but it doesn't work.

Then Harry has an idea and asks for his wand back to try it, saying (in Parseltongue) that he has no intention of using his wand on Voldemort (which apparently he can say because he has no specific intention to use it on Voldemort at this time, even though he knows he might change his mind later). Voldemort believes him and gives his wand back. Of course Harry's plan is to summon a patronus, because in this story they can destroy death, and of course it works. Voldemort then summons a mountain troll and a unicorn and sacrifices them to make Hermione practically immortal. Then I think he tries to make a super-horcrux for her so she'll actually be really, properly immortal, but something goes wrong? I'm just going to paste the end of the chapter here because I don't understand what's happening.

So I think that trying to make a horcrux for Hermione somehow destroyed all of his own horcruxes? That seems awfully convenient. And anticlimactic. But we've got 11 chapters to go so I guess it's not going to be that simple.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention, Hermione was naked for, like, half this chapter - until Harry specifically asked Voldemort to put some clothes on her. And she was either dead or unconscious for the entire chapter.

I love how, in a retelling of HP that's supposedly focused on rationality, the protagonist wins by author fiat because the antagonist ubermensch does something deeply stupid that he should know better than to have tried.

Cuazl
Mar 19, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

I love how, in a retelling of HP that's supposedly focused on rationality, the protagonist wins by author fiat because the antagonist ubermensch does something deeply stupid that he should know better than to have tried.

Oh, it's way dumber than that. Just you wait.

I read this whole thing once, because I've a horrible weakness for a story that starts well and then steadily and completely goes to poo poo. Can't just not finish something you've started, you know? It's like boiling a lobster in bad writing.

It helps if you don't know anything about the author and his cult, because if you do it's much harder to overlook the... let's call them themes, that run through the whole thing. If you go in on the assumption that Harriezer is a precocious little poo poo who's smart but not nearly as smart as he thinks he is, it might be a while until you realise that he's like that because so is the author.

Or the way that the guy decided to make his didactic magnum opus a Harry Potter fanfic even though it's clear that the only character in it he has anything approaching empathy for is the bad guy. Because death is wrong and unfair, but murdering shitloads of people is okay for some reason.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Cuazl posted:

Oh, it's way dumber than that. Just you wait.
Let's see how dumb, shall we?

Chapter 112: Failure, Pt 2

So Voldemort blocked the bullets Harry fired at him with a wall of dirt. He managed to cast a spell that caused a wall of earth to rise up between them in less time than it took for the first bullet to travel the distance between them. I guess magic, so he could be that fast, but it still seems like he's just winning because the author needs him to not die yet. Like, this wasn't him outwitting Harry or beating him in some contest of strength or will, it was basically just "oh, he's bulletproof now."

An instant after that, pain flared in Harry's scar, a crawling feeling came close to his skin; and then Harry's pouch, clothes, gun, everything except his wand disappeared, leaving him naked but for the wand still in his right hand, and the glasses he'd Charmed to stick to his nose.
Crawling in my skin
These wounds, they will not heal
Fear is how I fall
Confusing what is real

And apparently Voldemort's horcruxes aren't destroyed? Or at least he says they aren't. Well, implies they aren't. It was just a trick to get Harry to attack him because of a previously unmentioned curse that Voldemort put on himself so that no version of him could ever try to kill any other version of him. But the curse wasn't working properly, because it should have stopped Harry from killing Voldemort but was only stopping Voldemort from killing Harry. But now Harry's inadvertently broken it so Voldemort can kill him. Which might be significant if it we'd found out about this curse at any time before it was broken. We thought Voldemort could kill him at any time and we still think that. That's like the opposite of a twist.

But Voldemort isn't going to kill Harry, he just wanted to have the option available to him. And he has cast the super-horcrux spell for Hermione so now she's, like, super-immortal. Not quite as immortal as Voldemort, but as long as someone's around to resurrect her she can always come back. This is all apparently confirmed by Voldemort speaking in Parseltongue. We still only have his word for it that he can't lie in Parseltongue, but Yudkowsky seems to be writing it as though that's a confirmed fact.

Then Voldemort summons a bunch of death eaters and Yudkowsky doesn't know what "insofar" means.

Harry continued pointing his wand downward, insofar as he had been told that, if he tried to raise it, he would die. He remained silent, insofar as he had been told that if he tried to speak, he would die. He tried not to shiver in the falling night temperatures, for he was naked, and it was getting colder.
What is it with the naked children in this story?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Cuazl posted:

Or the way that the guy decided to make his didactic magnum opus a Harry Potter fanfic even though it's clear that the only character in it he has anything approaching empathy for is the bad guy. Because death is wrong and unfair, but murdering shitloads of people is okay for some reason.

the one where both the main characters are mary-sues

Tiggum posted:

What is it with the naked children in this story?

Pawg From Produce
Feb 11, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
Harry tries saying two plus two is three in Parseltongue immediately after learning about the lying thing and it comes out as "two plus two is four".

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Pawg From Produce posted:

Harry tries saying two plus two is three in Parseltongue immediately after learning about the lying thing and it comes out as "two plus two is four".

Yeah, we know that Harry wasn't able to lie in Parseltongue. I personally would not trust that Voldemort hadn't come up with a way of getting around that. Harry just instantly makes the leap from "I can't do it" to "no one can do it" and never questions it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

"Making an untrue statement" and "being deceptive" aren't the same thing and it's really a staple of fantasy that a binding oath of truthfulness doesn't necessarily make you honest, so expect something to that effect sooner or later.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

"Making an untrue statement" and "being deceptive" aren't the same thing and it's really a staple of fantasy that a binding oath of truthfulness doesn't necessarily make you honest, so expect something to that effect sooner or later.

Harry already found that loophole when he said he had "no intentions to use [his wand] against [Voldemort]" but meant "no specific intentions right now - but I definitely will use it against you later if I think of something that might work". Which is even more of a lie than is generally allowed by the "no untrue statements" rule, in my opinion. So the fact that he just keeps accepting everything Voldemort says in Parseltongue as fact is really dumb.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's certainly at least a lie by omission.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
So, if you don’t know the truth about something, can you say obviously wrong bullshit about it in parseltongue and have it autocorrect to the right statement?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Pvt.Scott posted:

So, if you don’t know the truth about something, can you say obviously wrong bullshit about it in parseltongue and have it autocorrect to the right statement?

I don't think it works that way. You just can only say things you believe to be true. So, say, if you don't know what time it is you can't say "it's 3pm" because you don't believe that it is - you just don't know that it isn't.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Pvt.Scott posted:

Given what Ron does with parseltongue in canon, sure, why not.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Harry already found that loophole when he said he had "no intentions to use [his wand] against [Voldemort]" but meant "no specific intentions right now - but I definitely will use it against you later if I think of something that might work". Which is even more of a lie than is generally allowed by the "no untrue statements" rule, in my opinion. So the fact that he just keeps accepting everything Voldemort says in Parseltongue as fact is really dumb.

Turns out Voldemort just has a tape recorder and splices together parseltongue statements word-by-word.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Pvt.Scott posted:

You can apparently at least do it with math, which I know would save me a lot of time at the calculator. Just mumble to yourself while you work and all those partial integrals would come out juuuust fine.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Given what Ron does with parseltongue in canon, sure, why not.
Doesn't he just try various ways of mimicing what Harry said to open the Chamber until it's close enough to correct that the Chamber opens?

(clearly Salazar Slytherin expected there to be a descendant with an accent)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Doesn't he just try various ways of mimicing what Harry said to open the Chamber until it's close enough to correct that the Chamber opens?
Yeah, which is why the idea of some built-in autocorrect makes sense from a certain point of view.

The idea of parseltongue as a language which can only express the truth seems like something from the time when HPMOR was meant as a more pedagogical project, because it's a neat starting point to talk about Godel's incompleteness theorems and Turing machines.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, which is why the idea of some built-in autocorrect makes sense from a certain point of view.
Oh! You meant the autocorrect was in Parseltongue itself rather than the Chamber's entrance enchantment. I instinctively thought "well Ron doesn't speak actual Parseltongue, so it's the Chamber cutting him a break".

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The idea of parseltongue as a language which can only express the truth seems like something from the time when HPMOR was meant as a more pedagogical project
It's equal parts fantasy cliché and plot device.

Frankly, I doubt that Yudkowsky knows what Gödel's incompleteness theorem even is, and if he does, he doesn't actually understand what it means and would say something like "but we can get around that because we're so rational and therefore can encompass everything."

It's the kind of thing his magical Bayes Monks would do. Their superpower is literally to always be right the first time because rationality.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Cardiovorax posted:

Frankly, I doubt that Yudkowsky knows what Gödel's incompleteness theorem even is, and if he does, he doesn't actually understand what it means and would say something like "but we can get around that because we're so rational and therefore can encompass everything."

i think he's read Godel Escher Bach, but there's no evidence he took any of it in

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Tiggum posted:

I don't think it works that way. You just can only say things you believe to be true. So, say, if you don't know what time it is you can't say "it's 3pm" because you don't believe that it is - you just don't know that it isn't.

This is a world with mind control, after all, so you just have your friend order you, under Unforgivable Curse, to believe whatever you will need to lie about, and undo it or have yourself mindwiped later.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Mar 30, 2019

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Liquid Communism posted:

This is a world with mind control, after all, so you just have your friend order you, under Unforgivable Curse, to believe whatever you will need to lie about, and undo it or have yourself mindwiped later.

Cut out the middleman and just mind-control yourself into (temporarily) believing whatever lie you want, as Voldkowsky does for his Mirror of Erised shenanigans!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Oh god, I think my brain murdered that part of itself to avoid remembering this story.