Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm enjoying Strange Journey Redux more than I thought I would. It was my first ever SMT game but I don't have super fond memories of it. I mainly just remember dungeons full of drudgery and being lost a lot. Granted, I'm only on Sector B so the teleporter dungeon is still to come! I CAN'T WAIT....

Nevertheless, I like the new art and designs and I think both it and the addition of voice-acting helps a lot. I also just met Alex and I nearly beat her I swear. Of course I've already had that whole plotline spoiled more or less but I don't know the fine details. It's one thing to have somebody tell you how things end, it's another to see how they unfold yourself.

Also the music is so frickin' good. Most underrated SMT soundtrack. That or the Devil Survivor games. They're also packed full of godly music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the teleporter dungeon is super easy, they give you an app that helps make it less of a task remembering where anything goes

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

the teleporter dungeon is super easy, they give you an app that helps make it less of a task remembering where anything goes

I'll take your word for it but I don't remember that.

The Womb of Grief is overleveling me, though. I kinda want to leave it for later.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Man, I gotta remember to buy Redux then.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

NikkolasKing posted:

I'll take your word for it but I don't remember that.

The Womb of Grief is overleveling me, though. I kinda want to leave it for later.

The app in question is Redux specific. Hint: finish floor one of the Womb as soon as possible. You'll enjoy the reward.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

mandatory lesbian posted:

This is legit the only thing that made me not dread Grus in Redux.

It's still a gigantic tedious mess, but at least it's not a hellscape labyrinth.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So all the talk about Netflix's Evangelion (and the lovely way they just ignored the OG dub cast) got me thinking. Amanda Winn Lee, THE voice of Rei, was Haru, my favorite character in Overclocked. (also Atsuro is Shinji/Spike Spencer) She was also Ulala in EP and Yukiko in Persona 4 stuff. She's pretty awesome.

But I'd like to hear what you all think. Which characters and voices have you liked the most? I don't think I've heard a bad SMT or Persona dub. That's pretty remarkable, especially considering the time Eternal Punishment came out.

Because they're fresh in my mind, I loved Anguished One's voice in DeSu 2 and also as I play through SJR for the first time I think Takahiro Sakurai has helped me like Jimenez more than I originally did.

EDIT:

Also Krishna from Apocalypse is amazing and unique.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 27, 2019

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Most of the standouts are just people like Baker or Bailey who I've also heard a million times elsewhere. P5 has one of the worse dubs since P3 at least and I still think it's honestly pretty good, though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The Chie wars begin anew.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Chie's an interesting case where both actresses's performances are not quite right but for entirely different reasons.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I like what New Chie is going for cadence and tone-wise but I can never get into the performance enough to not just think about the actress reading her lines. It's weird.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I could talk a lot about every game's dub and the actors I do and don't prefer and even the JP cast of a decent amount of them too, but I honestly wanna say that I love Innocent Sin PSP's english dub. For what voice acting you do get everyone sells their roles incredibly well. Getting the occasional bit of dialogue out of Tatsuya who is voiced by Keith Silverstein in that game made me appreciate that I never considered that kind of voice for him and made me really wanna hear Silverstein do more protagonist voices considering he voices a shitton of villain characters. That dude actually has only become a more relevant VA as of the past four or so years and it took a lot of VAs leaving non union stuff to do it. Troy Baker as Eikichi is also a strong role, one I like even more than his Kanji because hearing Baker voice an incredibly flamboyant but also crass character was different and fit Eikichi super well. Funny enough, Junpei's Japanese VA voiced Eikichi back in the PS1 release and would go on to voice Junpei almost a decade later and his voice is far more feminine than Baker's take on the character, but I also kind of appreciate that. Stephanie Sheh is basically perfect as Lisa not doing her typical wheelhouse of characters and voicing a very spirited but also scrappy girl who does a lot of poo poo talking. Everyone else is pretty solid and I wanna give props to Patrick Seitz voicing both Philemon and Nyarlathotep in both P1 and P2 because he's just a great voice actor. I think Pappenbrook as Kurosu is the first time I heard him voice a not stereotypically Pappenbrook character and it was really cool thing that made me begin to appreciate him a lot as a VA too.

Outside of P2 there are a lot of other roles I can talk about. I love Nakai, but Shinjiro in P3 is Grant George to me forever. Navarre in Vanilla SMTIV is probably one of Liam O'Brien's funniest roles despite how little he is in that game and I am disappointed he didn't make it into Apocalypse though Sean Chiplock is good. Xander Mobus is a voice actor I've talked poo poo about before, but his Arsene and Dagda voices are genuinely amazing. Michelle Ruff is good anytime I hear her especially as both Yukari and Sadayo. I love literally the entire DDS English cast and refuse to ever play or look at scenes of that game in Japanese because it's a game I love in English way too much. Amanda Miller as Fumi is also pretty drat amazing and made me love a character I did not think much about back when I initially played the game and Todd Haberkorn, while he is in the shithouse right now with me, is basically the perfect voice for Alcor. This is weird to say because a lot of people know him as Yosuke, but I genuinely think Lowenthal as Joe in DeSu2 is about one of his best roles too.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Matthew Mercer

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Captain Baal posted:

Matthew Mercer

:hmmyes:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Captain Baal posted:

I love literally the entire DDS English cast and refuse to ever play or look at scenes of that game in Japanese because it's a game I love in English way too much.

Heavy agree

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Captain Baal posted:

I could talk a lot about every game's dub and the actors I do and don't prefer and even the JP cast of a decent amount of them too, but I honestly wanna say that I love Innocent Sin PSP's english dub. For what voice acting you do get everyone sells their roles incredibly well. Getting the occasional bit of dialogue out of Tatsuya who is voiced by Keith Silverstein in that game made me appreciate that I never considered that kind of voice for him and made me really wanna hear Silverstein do more protagonist voices considering he voices a shitton of villain characters. That dude actually has only become a more relevant VA as of the past four or so years and it took a lot of VAs leaving non union stuff to do it. Troy Baker as Eikichi is also a strong role, one I like even more than his Kanji because hearing Baker voice an incredibly flamboyant but also crass character was different and fit Eikichi super well. Funny enough, Junpei's Japanese VA voiced Eikichi back in the PS1 release and would go on to voice Junpei almost a decade later and his voice is far more feminine than Baker's take on the character, but I also kind of appreciate that. Stephanie Sheh is basically perfect as Lisa not doing her typical wheelhouse of characters and voicing a very spirited but also scrappy girl who does a lot of poo poo talking. Everyone else is pretty solid and I wanna give props to Patrick Seitz voicing both Philemon and Nyarlathotep in both P1 and P2 because he's just a great voice actor. I think Pappenbrook as Kurosu is the first time I heard him voice a not stereotypically Pappenbrook character and it was really cool thing that made me begin to appreciate him a lot as a VA too.

Outside of P2 there are a lot of other roles I can talk about. I love Nakai, but Shinjiro in P3 is Grant George to me forever. Navarre in Vanilla SMTIV is probably one of Liam O'Brien's funniest roles despite how little he is in that game and I am disappointed he didn't make it into Apocalypse though Sean Chiplock is good. Xander Mobus is a voice actor I've talked poo poo about before, but his Arsene and Dagda voices are genuinely amazing. Michelle Ruff is good anytime I hear her especially as both Yukari and Sadayo. I love literally the entire DDS English cast and refuse to ever play or look at scenes of that game in Japanese because it's a game I love in English way too much. Amanda Miller as Fumi is also pretty drat amazing and made me love a character I did not think much about back when I initially played the game and Todd Haberkorn, while he is in the shithouse right now with me, is basically the perfect voice for Alcor. This is weird to say because a lot of people know him as Yosuke, but I genuinely think Lowenthal as Joe in DeSu2 is about one of his best roles too.

Todd Haberkorn was Jungo. Anguished One is voiced by Jerry Jewel who has one of the most distinctive voices ever. As soon as I first loaded up Record Breaker and heard the main menu announcing the game, I was like "hey, it's Suzaku from Yu Yu Hakusho/Lyon from Fairy Tail."

He is fantastic though, as is most of DeSu 2. Lowenthal is perfect as Joe.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Most of my favorite roles in these games are, again, people who do a lot of work like Jamieson Price or Kirk Thornton, so I really judge standout roles by how much someone surprised me or went outside of their usual register. And I guess the person who comes to mind in that regard would have to be Max Mittelman as Ryuji. I very vocally stated pre-release that I was Ben Diskin or bust for this role, but Mittlelman does a great job, especially because he, especially at that time, was known for more subdued roles like Saitama.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Come on gang, this is super easy: it's Mary Elizabeth McGlynn in DDS.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Amanda Winn Lee,
tangentially related, has anyone been watching her weed instructional videos on youtube?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I wish I could get over the pronunciation of foreign (not just Japanese, although that is of course the most relevant in this case) words and names by English-speaking voice actors. The Persona dub actors generally do a good job, but there's still a bit too much ":byodame: YOU-KEE-KOW" and ":byodood: sa-KA-motow" (well that one was partially the Atlus JP producer's fault) for my liking.

I understand it'd probably sound weird from a native English speaker's point of view (or of someone from a country with a strong dubbing culture) if the original pronunciation was used as is instead of slightly adjusting the pronunciation to fit the rest of the English dialogue more smoothly, but I'm not a native English speaker and I'm used to dubbing being almost entirely for children's media in my country so I tend to prefer the original voice tracks for most stuff.

(:goonsay:)

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I like Keith Silverstein plenty but god I wish he used any other voice than the Nazeem on for Shido.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

NikkolasKing posted:

Todd Haberkorn was Jungo. Anguished One is voiced by Jerry Jewel who has one of the most distinctive voices ever. As soon as I first loaded up Record Breaker and heard the main menu announcing the game, I was like "hey, it's Suzaku from Yu Yu Hakusho/Lyon from Fairy Tail."

Lol this is funny to me. I actually thought it was Jerry Jewell back when it came out, but a lot of people were saying it was Todd Haberkon and considering he was voicing Jungo too I assumed I was probably wrong and he was doing double duty even though I know Jerry Jewell's voice pretty well. Glad to see a lot of people apparently figured it out because I have not checked cast lists for Record Breaker since its first week and people apparently finally realized it was him. Anyways yeah, Jerry Jewell was actually the voice I was picturing for him back when the game was just on the DS and I'm glad they got him for Record Breaker, he's got a real good voice for that kind of character.

Worldwalker_Pure
Feb 27, 2015

I don't actually know their names, but I love the cast that did the English voices for the original version of Eternal Punishment. I remember Teenage Me being delighted whenever Ulala started swearing at the demons.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

I like Keith Silverstein plenty but god I wish he used any other voice than the Nazeem on for Shido.

Isn't that how he always sounds? He sounds exactly the same as Flynn in Apocalypse. Not a criticism or anything - he's really good in that role. He gets to play a hero, a villain and a brainwashed puppet and he excels at all of them.

This has nothing to do with anything but I was thinking about all the great voices in Apocalypse and of course one of them is DC Douglas as Odin. This also reminded me of how some people hate Apocalypse so much they said they preferred the old Odin design.

This is the Apoc design:

I seem to remember the old design from Persona 3 and 4 and he is in, like underwear or something?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
He was originally nude, apart from the cape.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Odin is very proud of his abs.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I'm partial to his Santa Claus design in Soul Hackers.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

NikkolasKing posted:

This also reminded me of how some people hate Apocalypse so much they said they preferred the old Odin design.

This is the Apoc design:

There's some modern redesigns I don't like, but Final's Odin redesign is one of, if not outright, the best of the bunch.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Krishna was rad, too.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Fool! Krishna toots as he pleases!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

There's some modern redesigns I don't like, but Final's Odin redesign is one of, if not outright, the best of the bunch.

What did you think of Apocalypse Lucifer? I really hated the SMTIV Law Ending for a lot of reasons but Lucy looking and sounding stupid was a big part of it.

But, going back to the earlier topic, he has an amazing voice in Apocalypse and also a rad new design.
https://youtu.be/8wQcL_J71-I?t=83

Lucifer: I am the radiant morning star which lights the way to the sons of man. I am the true flame of life in all the glory of flesh, blood, and my own will. So come, ye lifeless puppets of YHVH! I shall snuff out your ostentatious lights.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 27, 2019

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I do have to wonder, is SMT Strange Journey the most pro-environment and anti-capitalist JRPG since Final Fantasy Vii?

As I go through Redux right now it gets more and more obvious. It's all very on the nose, of course.

Also Fumi from DeSu 2 might be an AnCap or a 19th Century Liberal. (would fit with Meritocracy's Social Darwinism)

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Calling it the most pro-environment and anti-capitalist anything is rather hyperbolic, but off the top of my head Mother 3 exists so there's that.

edit 1: Also FFVII is less anti-capitalist than it is anti-industrialization, which isn't exactly a progressive value, it just happens to coincide with many pro-environment ideas. Much Japanese media has that as a theme.

edit 2: Granted I haven't seen Redux so for all I know it makes Mother 3 look like centrist moderate trash and you're right.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 28, 2019

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

GimmickMan posted:

Calling it the most pro-environment and anti-capitalist anything is rather hyperbolic, but off the top of my head Mother 3 exists so there's that.

edit 1: Also FFVII is less anti-capitalist than it is anti-industrialization, which isn't exactly a progressive value, it just happens to coincide with many pro-environment ideas. Much Japanese media has that as a theme.

edit 2: Granted I haven't seen Redux so for all I know it makes Mother 3 look like centrist moderate trash and you're right.

I mean, FFVII is very clearly cyberpunk, a genre I only know of as "that genre that thinks capitalism will destroy the world." One of the villains is an evil megacorp and we don't ever see any other businesses or the like. (unless you think the tiny shops you vist are meant to represent something)

I do get your point that there is a distinction between consumerism, industrialization and capitalism, though. But they are also so heavily intertwined that I doubt a video game would bother with that distinction. When FFVII gives us a corporate empire or SJ has an entire level dedicated to why shopping malls are soulless abominations, I don't really see that as anything but being against capitalism.

As for the environmentalism stuff, SJ is very...direct with its messages. The entire menace of the game is because humans have hosed up the planet. This is told to you a lot from what I've seen so far and what I remember.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I've completed the Second Sphere and beaten Ishtar.

I still don't know if I like the Womb of Grief. I'm so overleveled now for Sector C and I'll probably tap dance all over Horkos like I did Mithras. I feel like I should just stop making progress in it for a few Sectors.

This game doesn't seem to have balanced it with the main story like they did the Labyrinth of Amala in Nocturne.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I mean, FFVII is very clearly cyberpunk, a genre I only know of as "that genre that thinks capitalism will destroy the world." One of the villains is an evil megacorp and we don't ever see any other businesses or the like. (unless you think the tiny shops you vist are meant to represent something)

I do get your point that there is a distinction between consumerism, industrialization and capitalism, though. But they are also so heavily intertwined that I doubt a video game would bother with that distinction. When FFVII gives us a corporate empire or SJ has an entire level dedicated to why shopping malls are soulless abominations, I don't really see that as anything but being against capitalism.

As for the environmentalism stuff, SJ is very...direct with its messages. The entire menace of the game is because humans have hosed up the planet. This is told to you a lot from what I've seen so far and what I remember.

you're right but i think its important to note that the shopping mall sequence isn't about them specifically being soulless, its about how consumerism in general is souless, which is very anti-capitalist but even more then you're saying

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

NikkolasKing posted:

So I've completed the Second Sphere and beaten Ishtar.

I still don't know if I like the Womb of Grief. I'm so overleveled now for Sector C and I'll probably tap dance all over Horkos like I did Mithras. I feel like I should just stop making progress in it for a few Sectors.

This game doesn't seem to have balanced it with the main story like they did the Labyrinth of Amala in Nocturne.

You're almost at the part where locks are going to force you to take it in a certain order. May as well polish off what you can for now.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

FF7 is the only game I can think of where you play an eco terrorist and the game is like “this is cool and good”

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Sim City :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

SJ's neutral hero is named Gore. Unless this is a freaky coincidence, it is undoubtedly environmentalist.

FFVII is more complex. You'd think it is pretty clear as it alludes to the Gaia theory, but the devil is in the details. FFVII's mako energy and materia seem to represent fossil fuels in a pretty obvious analogy for anthropocentric climate change, but that's not the case, because mako is a clean and safe power source. In fact the characters themselves wield Materia and the game doesn't really admonish them for it. The problem isn't with mako itself, but with mako reactors.

Consider that Barret's backstory involves the closing of a coal mine to replace it with a mako reactor, and this is seen as a bad thing because a whole bunch of people lost their jobs. Furthermore, mako reactors are prone to explosions that cause catastrophic destruction and loss of life. From this we can infer that mako reactors are not fossil fuels, but nuclear energy.

Yes, mako reactors drain the remains of living beings from the planet to make electricity, but you've got to keep in mind that what is getting extracted aren't the dead fossilized corpses of living beings but their souls. Japan is very animist and FFVII draws from that in the same way that Mononoke Hime does. It's "spiritpunk" more than "cyberpunk".

As for capitalism, the old guard of Shinra are pretty much comically evil assholes, sure, but what happens to Shinra after they're all killed off? Rufus and Reeve transform the company into the World Regenesis Organization, but they still are effectively the world government. The system isn't abolished, just made greener. It's still an improvement, but it's not like they're giving healthcare and food stamps to everyone in Midgar.

Now I love FFVII to bits and I really, really wish it was as environmentally aware as my child self interpreted it was, but a closer examination reveals it's got more in common with Godzilla than it does with Captain Planet.