Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

LashLightning posted:

Going in, or going out?!

Out. It was being printed in China, because printing in China is cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9Urosc-JEY

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Clarifications happening over on reddit:

quote:

Hey all,

So... some corrections and further explanations.

It was a government official who ordered the print run destroyed; it's not like Xi Jinping took notice and said destroy it. So it is true and correct to say that this was a government action. But in all likelihood, it was a dumbass local official who got nervous when he saw certain images inside the book.

I had at times said the book was burned, but probably the book was pulped. I misunderstood the salesman who talked to me about it and I got an idea stuck in my mind. And as others have pointed out, burning is the proper response because that is how you deal with books that contain dangerous secret ;-)

We got our money back. We will have a new printer by the end of the week. Backers will get the book. And for backers that did not get the PDF, please send me message via Kickstarter to let me know.

Some have asked what content the Chinese official found sensitive. The Sassoon Files contains photographic images of Zhou Enlai, Chiang Kai-shek, Empress Dowager Cixi, Big Eared Du, and other historical figures. It contains images of Mythos monsters, including an incarnation of a god which appears to have nipples. It contains images of the flag of the Republic of China; that flag is shown on TV in historical TV show, but it's also the flag of the Republic of China on Taiwan. It has a fake historical poster of PLA soldiers fighting the good fight against Cthulhu. In it's textual content, it includes story-elements of time travel, reincarnation, interactions with Christian cultists (or Christians who think they are Christian but are worshiping something else), possession, alien serial murderers, and world-ending plagues (that originate in China).

So there is a little bit of content that would make the Chinese government official nervous about allowing this to be published in China through official distribution channels. But this did not matter in the past nor should have mattered now because the book was made for export and in the past that was not checked.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
"Historical nihilism" is a real crime in China and you can even see jail time for it now. At least they got their money back.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

"Historical nihilism" is a real crime in China and you can even see jail time for it now. At least they got their money back.

Yeah, China is weird about doing things with history that aren't culturally or plausibly true. Time Travel series and movies and stuff is forbidden China iirc.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

yea it's a stupid rear end law, obviously, but it was an actual law violation and all not just rando 'eh let's gently caress up this shipment of books'. More, like they said, local official saw them and was all 'aw man I don't wanna get busted if somehow this makes it up the chain, bye books'.

I like that they're making it nice and clear though, A) it may be a helpful heads up for future publishers that this is an actual 'thing' to keep in mind, and B) actually sounds kinda understanding in a 'welp...poo poo sucks but oh well' way instead of trying to make some big drama over something that can't change.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Xelkelvos posted:

Yeah, China is weird about doing things with history that aren't culturally or plausibly true. Time Travel series and movies and stuff is forbidden China iirc.
What's really weird is why. You'd think, okay, they don't want you going back in time in your story and saying you made everything better by dropping Chairman Bao and preventing the Binese Bommunist Barty from taking over Bhina.

Apparently the actual issue is a huge trend in a lot of literature in which key characters are told by various historical figures that they are brilliant and awesome.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

China killing bad fanfiction sounds like good praxis.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea you're not selling me on this policy being bad if its origin is in rooting out Dante style 'and then entirety of the Southern Ming Dynasty came together and told me I was super cool and all my enemies were just like the treacherous Qing...' books

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Seems like it's a massive overreaction if that's the case but also I can't be mad about it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'm honestly surprised it took this long for something like that to happen and that it wasn't because of a book where there's a ghost or a skeleton on the cover in any case.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's not the first time, a lot of children's books for one are having to watch their content for fear of Chinese censors.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Seems like it's a massive overreaction if that's the case but also I can't be mad about it.

Massive overreaction is kind of the CCP's stock in trade.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Massive overreaction is kind of the CCP's stock in trade.

Oh I thought they were just busy with lag in Jita

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I’m glad I backed at the pdf tier.

The adventure ideas and history are extremely interesting.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Posted about this in the 50k thread but this thread does chudwatch too

People are apparently melting down about theoretical lore changes in 40k? What's up with that? My normie friends are asking about it

jakodee
Mar 4, 2019

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Posted about this in the 50k thread but this thread does chudwatch too

People are apparently melting down about theoretical lore changes in 40k? What's up with that? My normie friends are asking about it

How lately? There was some stuff in 2017 with 8th edition, and some high quality CHUDery in 2018 with the wrath and glory rpg.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
40k's talking about moving their plot ahead soon, and the rumor is that they're going to move away from the obvious fasch stuff that the Imperium's big on and actually show that the Imperial government are monsterous. It's mostly coming from the Robbie G novel, because it's very obvious that he is loving pissed at where the Imperium of Man has gone while he was in stasis, and the thought is that they're going to do a full on civil war.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

There was also a special edition Commissar model who did not feature boobplate. I've seen folks mad about that.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Every time I watch a Templin Institute video on anything 40k I get a kick out of how ridiculous everything is in that world.

Like, not in a bad way. Just humorous still.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
That sounds good. It amazes me that some people think that the Emperor was a good guy or that the Imperium is defensible. The intro text calls him the carrion Lord of the imperium who rules over the crulest regime imaginable.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

neaden posted:

That sounds good. It amazes me that some people think that the Emperor was a good guy or that the Imperium is defensible. The intro text calls him the carrion Lord of the imperium who rules over the crulest regime imaginable.

Well he ain’t no Stimperor.

jakodee
Mar 4, 2019

neaden posted:

The fluff and fiction also refers to him as an unambiguous incarnation of metaphysical good. Fascists love 40k for, amoung other reasons, the completely lack of a consistent moral stance means they can just assume the entire franchise supports fascism and not *technically* be wrong. This also means they can also point out phrases like “the cruelest regime imaginable” whenever someone asks why ultramarines novel #343 is so cheerful about sterilizing genetic deviants or torture-killing daemons of queerness.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
40k is one of those reasons you don't give nerds satire.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Liquid Communism posted:

40k's talking about moving their plot ahead soon, and the rumor is that they're going to move away from the obvious fasch stuff that the Imperium's big on and actually show that the Imperial government are monsterous. It's mostly coming from the Robbie G novel, because it's very obvious that he is loving pissed at where the Imperium of Man has gone while he was in stasis, and the thought is that they're going to do a full on civil war.

Oh good, a great new opportunity to focus even more on Space Marines.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

theironjef posted:

Oh good, a great new opportunity to focus even more on Space Marines.
The current edition introduced new Super Space Marines that are 50% taller than ordinary Space Marines.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

FMguru posted:

The current edition introduced new Super Space Marines that are 50% taller than ordinary Space Marines.

I mean there's already 30k where it's all Space Marines fighting Space Marines so I look forward to this glorious new future where two heights of Space Marines square off against two heights of Space Marines. For order.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

neaden posted:

Uh, I mean, to be fair, the emperor isn't actually in charge of the imperium. The current imperium came about after his death, and the reason Bobby G is so pissed is because it looks almost nothing like the galaxy he left behind. The Emperor is used as justification for the politicians that rule in his stead. Not that the emperor is an objectively good person or anything, because he's pretty hosed up

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Female primarines are the future.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I absolutely hope so

actually3raccoons
Jun 5, 2013

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I'd fill out the rest of my Blood Angels with them. I was really hoping that they'd use the Primaris Marines as a lore excuse for female Marines, lioe Cawl brings them to Bobby G and says "Not only are they better than current Astartes, but you've just doubled you're recruitment pool! Praise the Omnissiah!"

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Would sincerely love a new generation of groggy tears over canonical spess muhreen :females: to carry on the legacy of "painting your marines hot pink with pony decals is ruining everything."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Razorwired posted:

When 40K was running around just being 40K it was fine, then they gave it to people to try to make a functional universe out of and then the cracks started to show. I mean, they were there already but now they became large and glaringly obvious.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
Over on the Age of Sigmar side, grog tears have been pouring for a while now over the stormcast having gurlz, despite there never really being any lore to suggest they wouldn't. Fortunately, there seems to be an equal number of people who like that aspect, and a larger contingent than both that don't really give a poo poo either way.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Arivia posted:

Oh I thought they were just busy with lag in Jita

Lmao this is a good joke

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Razorwired posted:

They've been running the satire back up some as well. The new Ork codex calls back in a lot of ways to the old 2e orks, which were hilarious and weird.

If you want a sample of the new writing, check out the Regimental Standard.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Desiden posted:

Over on the Age of Sigmar side, grog tears have been pouring for a while now over the stormcast having gurlz, despite there never really being any lore to suggest they wouldn't. Fortunately, there seems to be an equal number of people who like that aspect, and a larger contingent than both that don't really give a poo poo either way.

Oh, no! They have like half a dozen obviously female models! Run!

jakodee
Mar 4, 2019

Liquid Communism posted:

They've been running the satire back up some as well. The new Ork codex calls back in a lot of ways to the old 2e orks, which were hilarious and weird.

If you want a sample of the new writing, check out the Regimental Standard.

They aren’t really though? They’re just making the setting less concerned with being serious and more with being funny. They certainly aren’t satirizing Thatcherism in 2019.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It's so weird to have a Games Workshop that seems interested in, like, not being completely awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

jakodee posted:

They aren’t really though? They’re just making the setting less concerned with being serious and more with being funny. They certainly aren’t satirizing Thatcherism in 2019.

It is still a huge improvement over the last few years where they were playing the setting deadly serious.

I mean, it's 40k, the community's still going to field full Wehrmacht-painted Guard armies and enter rape dioramas into painting contests.