Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

baquerd posted:

Unless we're about to wreak havoc on the economy and populace of the majority of other industrialized nations in some manner, taking on debt today is not like taking on debt in WWII. Steph here is technically correct from a certain point of view, but apparently either ignored the context of WWII or the context was not in your quote.

"Historical context matters" claims guy who immediately invoked the Weimar Republic when he saw a mention of printing money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

crazypeltast52 posted:

Adam Smith’s use of landlord is the same that Henry George used, as far as the right to use a particular parcel. Georgist land taxes rest on the principle that the improvements represent productive investment and the marginal product of the land itself should be the property of the state. A landlord renting out an apartment unit and a groundlord with a 100 year ground lease have very different profiles.

I greatly appreciate the history and context you're providing. I agree that there is a difference on holding land and maintaining a property on said land. I am unfamiliar with the works of George and want to spend some time learning more about your argument.

Bryter posted:

"Historical context matters" claims guy who immediately invoked the Weimar Republic when he saw a mention of printing money

Nope, check again, not me who brought that up.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Adam Smith’s use of landlord is a hereditary aristocrat who will never be subject to estate or property taxes extracting rents from tenant farmers or sharecroppers, depending on the level of exploitation.

A modern landlord as the term is used is much more of a capital player instead of a land player as one of the four factors of production in economics.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

baquerd posted:

Nope, check again, not me who brought that up.

baquerd posted:

Yeah, inflation and particularly hyper inflation is pretty much just a conspiracy and has never triggered things such as the actual birth of the Nazi party or the collapse of multiple nations, that would be crazy talk.

It must have been someone else logged on to your account I guess, apologies

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

crazypeltast52 posted:

Adam Smith’s use of landlord is a hereditary aristocrat who will never be subject to estate or property taxes extracting rents from tenant farmers or sharecroppers, depending on the level of exploitation.

A modern landlord as the term is used is much more of a capital player instead of a land player as one of the four factors of production in economics.

inherited wealth in the us isnt real, it is impossible for rented properties to be passed down to relatives, and property taes exist in every state. the property taxes that do exist always offset the wealth gained from rent seeking, these are all completly true

Agean90 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 27, 2019

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bryter posted:

It must have been someone else logged on to your account I guess, apologies

Please do not apologize and please accept my apology. It seems I was the first to bring up this relation against my faulty memory.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Man this subforum is so polite, even if you are all bourgeois dogs.

CourtFundedPoster
Feb 2, 2019

baquerd posted:

Somewhat pertinent video on the cost of rent versus wages:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsFB1tEC1ts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundation_for_Economic_Education#Funding_details

Wikipedia posted:

The Foundation for Economic Education (FEE) is a libertarian economic think-tank dedicated to the "economic, ethical and legal principles of a free society."

https://www.greenpeace.org/usa/global-warming/climate-deniers/front-groups/foundation-for-economic-education-fee/

Greenpeace posted:

$353,167 from Koch foundations, 2000-2017.

:thunk:

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
This thread is getting a ton of reports and is in danger of being moved to D&D

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

crazypeltast52 posted:

If taxes do not eliminate the gains from charging rent, then it's nothing more than a fee for the right to charge rent. And what estate tax?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Simpsons Reference posted:

Send it to CSPAM

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Please send it to C-SPAM.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

This thread absolutely belongs in CSPAM. Thank you and god bless.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
Maybe actually send the brigaders talking about executing landlords back to CSPAM and leave the thread here?

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
Long time thread participant here. Fourthing sending it to C-SPAM. If we can't defend our life choices without crying for the mods, the discomfort is pointing to some unexamined ideas that need some introspection.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
hello landlord thread, just popping in to let you all know that i look forward to the day when your kind are washed from the earth by the white hot rage of the proletariat, and i hope in my lifetime to hear the pathetic pleading as blood boils and the eyes melt out of your very skulls. well, have a good one catch you later!

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Maybe actually send the brigaders talking about executing landlords back to CSPAM and leave the thread here?

It's pretty funny that you're calling the forums cops to evict us from your landlord thread

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

poopinmymouth posted:

Long time thread participant here. Fourthing sending it to C-SPAM. If we can't defend our life choices without crying for the mods, the discomfort is pointing to some unexamined ideas that need some introspection.

As an super-active participant in the discussion yesterday, I can say truthfully say that I reported no one. Speech and thought should be free.

BFC is the last bastion of capitalism on SA. It's one of the few places where capitalistic thought can be freely talked about on SA. Please do not send BFC threads to C-SPAM.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

HiHo ChiRho posted:

It's pretty funny that you're calling the forums cops to evict us from your landlord thread

No I just think joking about violence on the internet is a lot less funny than it was a couple weeks ago, even if it is against mean old landlords. I certainly welcome anybody who wants to have an actual reasonably topical discussion about problems that can be solved in real ways other than murder and violent appropriation of private property

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

baquerd posted:

BFC is the last bastion of capitalism on SA. It's one of the few places where capitalistic thought can be freely talked about on SA. Please do not send BFC threads to C-SPAM.

Oh no what a terrible loss that would be

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

baquerd posted:

Sounds like you're afraid to be challenged in a venue where you can't call the forum cops

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

baquerd posted:

Capitalism is killing this planets ability to support our species and will at this rate see us extinct within 150 years or so

throw this thread to CSPAM

Serf
May 5, 2011

we definitely need a safe space for capitalist parasites

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

baquerd posted:

Unless we're about to wreak havoc on the economy and populace of the majority of other industrialized nations in some manner, taking on debt today is not like taking on debt in WWII. Steph here is technically correct from a certain point of view, but apparently either ignored the context of WWII or the context was not in your quote.

Wait until someone tells this guy about Climate Change.

@mods Squatters rights, you can't send us anywhere after a day of lawful posting.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

No I just think joking about violence on the internet is a lot less funny than it was a couple weeks ago, even if it is against mean old landlords. I certainly welcome anybody who wants to have an actual reasonably topical discussion about problems that can be solved in real ways other than murder and violent appropriation of private property

The murder of people and the violent appropriation of common land that was made private is the only reason why you are able to extract rent in the first place. If you are against such violent appropriations, I suggest you make things right and donate your real estate back for the common good.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

baquerd posted:

Sorry mate, no safe space for capitalists

I know its not related but with those flags I like to think this is the inevitable revolution of trans folk

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

poopinmymouth posted:

Just curious, on this topic, once another party is doing the management, what's the moral justification for rent extraction?

Thermopyle posted:

I mean...where are people going to live?

Yea, move this poo poo to C-SPAM. Also, poopinmymouth gets a big :thumbsup: from me for being the only poster to push the idea that human life matters and this whole thing isn't just about raising rent as much as possible.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Mar 27, 2019

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

HiHo ChiRho posted:

lmao

landlording requires the credible threat of state violence on people using an otherwise unused house. Your problem with violence on the part of the tenant trying to keep from being evicted isn't that it's violence, it's that it's being used to keep landlords from taking stuff from the people who are using it.

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Mar 27, 2019

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I support this, and other such endeavours.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

still awaiting anyone willing to entertain my points earlier, it's terrible that private landlords set such poor posting standards

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
What up, landlords. Question for you, what's it like being a blood-sucking parasite? Do you actually bite onto your tenants and suck the money out through your tentacles or is that just a metaphor? Oh well, at least you're not lettings agents, am I right? Ahahahahahaha. But seriously, you're all terrible people.

So what's it like to know that someone's human right to shelter is less important than your human right to a large bank balance?

The Ghoul
Dec 8, 2011

I got a cobra for a cock and some wrought iron balls

baquerd posted:

Speech and thought should be free.

But food, water, and shelter are commodities and their value should be determined by the market! :downs:

I vote to combine BFC with CSPAM so the bourgeois have no peace on the forums.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Ghoul posted:

But food, water, and shelter are commodities and their value should be determined by the market! :downs:

I vote to combine BFC with CSPAM so the bourgeois have no peace on the forums.

Maybe Lowtax can save his spine by putting up a double paywall around BFC

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

or charge $50 in monthly rent to post in BFC, and just hike it up by :10bux: every year for shits and giggles

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Alright everyone's evicted until further notice

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Alright, I'm reopening it without handing out probations, but with a word of caution:

The thread is for discussing owning rental property and its issues. Occasionally the non-financial aspects as well. Sending the wealthy to the guillotine is a funny running gag that I imagine even the thread regulars enjoy.... in moderation. When it begins to prevent actual discussion about the thread topic, that's where I have to step in.

So if you're just here to brigade from C-SPAM, stop. No one goes to your place of business and knocks the hammer and sickle out of your hands.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Does collective ownership count for the purposes of the thread topic?

Unironic question

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Alright, I'm reopening it without handing out probations, but with a word of caution:

The thread is for discussing owning rental property and its issues. Occasionally the non-financial aspects as well. Sending the wealthy to the guillotine is a funny running gag that I imagine even the thread regulars enjoy.... in moderation. When it begins to prevent actual discussion about the thread topic, that's where I have to step in.

So if you're just here to brigade from C-SPAM, stop. No one goes to your place of business and knocks the hammer and sickle out of your hands.
Who's joking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Are you familiar with union busting?