Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
It sounds like you need some more help just for your own mental wellbeing - it's a tough gig, sometimes you need a respite. What's the situation like with your parents or the in-laws? Any of them able to come and give you a couple of days where you can just sleep like a normal human and do battery-recharging type activities?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Tamarillo posted:

It sounds like you need some more help just for your own mental wellbeing - it's a tough gig, sometimes you need a respite. What's the situation like with your parents or the in-laws? Any of them able to come and give you a couple of days where you can just sleep like a normal human and do battery-recharging type activities?

My mom and wife’s mom both out of town this week, my dad and stepmom work. Wife works late this week and gets up early, so why not have the stars align for a week of near pure hell. Literally everything happening this week is the poorest timing loving ever.

My wife did say she’d handle him last night and all but forced me to go do something with friends or do something for me to recharge because she started noticing signs of mental stress. It helped a lot but back into the same old patterns we go.

Can’t get him to finish a bottle with ibuprofen, mucinex or Claritin to save my life or his. He normally has no problem with medicated bottles. He took one last night for my wife. Three wake ups later and three hours between bottles, he wakes up and refuses to take a bottle with medication he needs. That poo poo is getting really old and it’s so hard not to become frustrated with him, because he only does it with me and he only does it when I’m feeling my most tired—when I feel like him having the medication to help him feel better would also give me some respite from the crying and coughing.

Time to do straight from the syringe. The worst part about it is, it’s hard to measure what amount of medication he DID ingest, so it’s either a guessing game or we wait another six hours to a day before gambling on whether or not he’ll take all the medication this time.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

life is killing me posted:

Time to do straight from the syringe. The worst part about it is, it’s hard to measure what amount of medication he DID ingest, so it’s either a guessing game or we wait another six hours to a day before gambling on whether or not he’ll take all the medication this time.

If you put it off to the side in their cheek a little bit at a time and then blow on their face, it sort of forces them to swallow.

Edit: My 7 month old is sleeping super lovely right now too. Its driving me crazy. He wakes up every hour or two hours and cries and then goes back to sleep eventually after being comforted. Its literal torture to not get to sleep for longer than an hour or two all night long. This is also the week my husband is doing his 9am - 8pm class-a-thon for his doctorate.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Alterian posted:

If you put it off to the side in their cheek a little bit at a time and then blow on their face, it sort of forces them to swallow.

Yeah, we’ve done it before but don’t prefer it since it’s hard to control his head, he will turn it and push the syringe away and then we do it again until it all gets in his mouth. Once he gets it in his mouth he will swallow. But in the past when he was younger he hated the taste of Tylenol and ibuprofen and wouldn’t let us put the syringe in his mouth at all.

Alterian posted:

Edit: My 7 month old is sleeping super lovely right now too. Its driving me crazy. He wakes up every hour or two hours and cries and then goes back to sleep eventually after being comforted. Its literal torture to not get to sleep for longer than an hour or two all night long. This is also the week my husband is doing his 9am - 8pm class-a-thon for his doctorate.

That’s rough, and yeah that’s what we are dealing with at almost 11mo, this after he started sleeping through the night long enough for us to get used to the sleep. Then it ended abruptly and since he’s sick it’s only gotten worse. Three times last night, the last time he woke up that frequently was around 5-6mo.

It’s awful not getting the sleep. For us we can’t do cry it out either, psychologically it’s damaging to us and more importantly him. He doesn’t go back to sleep, in fact he stands up in his crib and becomes more and more hysterical until we go in, and at this stage in his life he’s not going to learn. He’s just one of those kids that needs the comfort.

Sorry to hear about that, it’s really rough. I’d say it gets better but every other parent says that it seems, and it doesn’t get better for everyone. Sometimes it’s just a storm to be weathered and we have to vent to cope. Your kid sounds like the comfort-needing type too. All we can do is give it to them because they won’t go to sleep otherwise and will sit in their room feeling abandoned and lonely 😔. Even so it’s hard to give that comfort when your brain is fried from no deep sleep and you’re frustrated and burnt out.

Can y’all identify in each other the signs of burnout and give each other occasional breaks during the day for recharging?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We have a full sized arms reach attached to our bed. We haven't lowered it yet (we probably need to do that in the next week or so) so its almost like he's in our bed. This isn't our first kid so we've been through this rodeo before. I think it will be easier once this week is done!

I wasn't much of a coffee drinker before my first kid. Now I have about 4 - 6 cups in the morning. (either black or with some unsweetened almond milk) My college students look at me like I'm bananas when I tell them that. I have an 8am intro to programming class I have to teach!

Edit: We also pretty much don't have any family locally. There's 100% nobody that could take him for a "sleepover" for even one night.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

If a baby is crying cause they don't want medicine then you have an open window to shove that syringe in. Drop it on the backside of the cheek. If you feel like they are going to spit it out, blow in the babies face. As they get older I was using my entire body to secure them to administer the meds. Don't let that baby win. You can do this!

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

DangerZoneDelux posted:

If a baby is crying cause they don't want medicine then you have an open window to shove that syringe in. Drop it on the backside of the cheek. If you feel like they are going to spit it out, blow in the babies face. As they get older I was using my entire body to secure them to administer the meds. Don't let that baby win. You can do this!

As they get older they realize that it's grape flavor and delicious, at least mine did :)

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Ha I meant the age from newborn till 2. The meds that eventually knocked out my 4 year old son's sinus infection were administered over 21 days and required 15 ml 3 times a day. 10 loving bottles and the pharmacist mentioned it was the worst antibiotic he had to try in school and the taste is so potent they don't bother flavoring it. My kid thought it tasted incredible, so odd. poo poo made me gag smelling it.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I've had to hold down my then 5 year old to get him to take his drat antibiotics. If it wasn't for the fact they WERE antibiotics, I wouldn't have bothered.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

diapermeat posted:

As they get older they realize that it's grape flavor and delicious, at least mine did :)

Yeah, our kid vastly prefers dye-free and the grape flavor to cherry. I think he's right.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
Yeah, try different brands and flavors in general. Dye free Target brand is the preferred in our house. Also, lean them across your lap so their head is lower than their body. I don’t know why that works but a nurse in the surgery center showed us that trick and it’s amazing.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Is it normal for a 5 month old to be more or less fussy 24/7 unless he's constantly stimulated? We can't put the dude down for one minute before he starts whining. It's hard, because he really seems unhappy a large part of the day.

Boz0r fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Mar 23, 2019

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Haha, my daughter must have know she was on notice. Only 2 near misses Tuesday, and no bite attempts rest of the week. She gets to stay in daycare!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Boz0r posted:

Is it normal for a 5 month old to be more or less fussy 24/7 unless he's constantly stimulated? We can't put the dude down for one minute before he starts whining. It's hard, because he really seems unhappy a large part of the day.

Ours is pretty similar, although not quite as consistently fussy; he can sometimes be put down for a little while. I can't wait to go back to work next week...

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

gninjagnome posted:

Haha, my daughter must have know she was on notice. Only 2 near misses Tuesday, and no bite attempts rest of the week. She gets to stay in daycare!

So happy for you!!!

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Boz0r posted:

Yeah at 5mo ours was too. He still is. Constantly coming to us and just begging for attention, even though we are always talking to him and paying attention to him he’ll crawl over to us and pull himself up and slap our knees or something. Occasionally he will play in his play pen but usually he starts to cry the second we put him in it unless he sees the gate is open. Otherwise it’s a demand for our constant attention.

I think it’s just that they get so used to stimulation at day care, then they are at home over the weekend and it’s a lot quieter with just mom and dad.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.

Yeah at 5mo ours was too. He still is. Constantly coming to us and just begging for attention, even though we are always talking to him and paying attention to him he’ll crawl over to us and pull himself up and slap our knees or something. Occasionally he will play in his play pen but usually he starts to cry the second we put him in it unless he sees the gate is open. Otherwise it’s a demand for our constant attention.

I think it’s just that they get so used to stimulation at day care, then they are at home over the weekend and it’s a lot quieter with just mom and dad.

It may be an effect of him being 10 weeks premature, so the first six weeks of his life was spent lying on our chests. It's not daycare yet, though. We have 52 weeks parental leave here in Denmark. It would be wonderful to send him away for a couple of hours a day, though :D

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Boz0r posted:

It may be an effect of him being 10 weeks premature, so the first six weeks of his life was spent lying on our chests. It's not daycare yet, though. We have 52 weeks parental leave here in Denmark. It would be wonderful to send him away for a couple of hours a day, though :D

So stoked about starting my 6 month stint as a paid-by-the-state stay-at-hom dad in June when Mom's 6 months are over. Then to figure out how do divide up the remaining 4, how much to save for later etc.
Sweden gives 480 days of paid parental leave, per child. When a colleague had twins, we basically didn't see him for a year.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
One of our kids has a weird reaction to getting injured... sliced up his finger on a mandolin last night (he wasn't supposed to have it, but kids eh) and it bled a lot. But he didn't even cry. Just calmly observed that it bleeds and he wants a bandaid. I think I was more upset than him. I asked if it hurts and he said yes. Just really weird reaction for a 5 year old.

And they both howl like pigs whenever a nurse has to draw some blood or they get a vaccine shot...

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Paramemetic posted:

My kid would only sleep on people for his first 2 months, but still now cries himself to sleep. It takes about 15 minutes during which he screams to beat the devil, but then he just passes out. My understanding is this is p much normal. I only mention because you said he starts crying within 2 minutes, but what's more important is when (or whether) he stops crying. If he goes for more than 15 minutes you can reassure him by putting a hand on his chest and reading to him and so on, then starting over.

my dude last night we just committed and powered through the screaming doing this and he actually went to sleep in his bed for the first time for a long time (nearly three hours!!) it's now the second day and after the same amount of time but with way less visits from mum and dad he went to sleep. We weren't even in the room when he went to sleep.

So everyone else here that posted similar circumstances and helpful anecdotes - seriously, it is extremely hard and I was borderline in tears last night and you will hear your baby make noises like he's about to explode but it really worked. You go in, pat them, stroke their head (that worked for us), then kiss them and walk out. Last night we did every 2 minutes, tonight it was closer to 4 minutes. Both nights it took a total of 20 minutes of just screaming and I mean screaming.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
We've had some excellent luck with the transition to the crib. I think it's been 5 days now of sleeping in the crib with no issues. It also looks like our daughter sleeps more soundly in the crib as well, she slept from ~7:30 to 6:30 this morning.

Now I've been sleeping terribly because I miss the white noise machine. :lol:

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

My son seems to have a problem with sleep. Not like he just can't, but like he and sleep (and/or his crib) are enemies. He slept for around 10 hours the night before last with just one wakeup at 6am yesterday morning, during which he went back down after a small fight and slept til almost 9. He was then awake for an hour, and took about an hour-long nap after which we went to the botanical gardens to meet my sister. When he would usually fall asleep in his stroller, he stayed awake the whole time. My wife and I have small group on Monday nights during which we know he's going to be up late, so my intent was to get him back home and down for a nap before that. He slept most of the 15-minute car ride home, but he's usually still tired in those situations, so I figured I'd have no trouble getting him down at home. He fought me for 30 minutes and I gave up. I figured with such small naps, one fewer nap than usual, and then having such a late bedtime, that he'd be exhausted. Nope, he woke up twice, the second time taking about an hour to get him back to sleep as he cried and screamed out of a dead sleep when I'd try to put him down in his crib. This happened about 7 times before he finally let me put him in there. A light at the end of the tunnel here would have been him sleeping in. I got up around 7 this morning and made myself breakfast, and no sooner than when I sat down and tried to take a bite did he wake up.

He's been more clingy lately, but I don't think that's the whole story and I wonder if any of y'all dealt with this? Is this par for the course at this age, or is this unique to some babies? I'm kind of at a loss here. He's cutting six teeth, but typically refuses a teether lately and doesn't usually act like he's in a ton of pain (we give him ibuprofen at night and in the morning). I feel like this is abnormal for a baby who is almost 11mo, and I know for a fact he knows how to put himself back to sleep. I also know he is eating like a horse some days and still wakes up, but other days he inexplicably doesn't want a pouch or to finish an entire bottle of even just 4oz. Nothing we can think of seems to explain why he is waking up so often and giving us such a hard fight most times, what with his daytime behavior being mostly normal and happy.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
One thing that jumps out to me is your schedule. It may be difficult but try to smooth it out so that it’s more consistent day to day.

It sucks but on top of maintaining a bed time, maintaining a wake up time is a good idea too. I know I miss sleeping in. But a consistent schedule day-to-day might make things easier. Little brains don’t have the concept of Monday and the schedule needs to change. :(

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
Sleep begets sleep in kids. It’s counterintuitive but a day of broken sleep is more likely to lead to a terrible night. If it starts becoming a trend in our house, we do whatever necessary to ensure a solid day of napping to get back on track.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Sarah posted:

One thing that jumps out to me is your schedule. It may be difficult but try to smooth it out so that it’s more consistent day to day.

It sucks but on top of maintaining a bed time, maintaining a wake up time is a good idea too. I know I miss sleeping in. But a consistent schedule day-to-day might make things easier. Little brains don’t have the concept of Monday and the schedule needs to change. :(

He's usually right on schedule and is even pretty used to being up later on Mondays. It's been bathtime at 615, book, bottle and sleep sack at 645, and rocking from 645-7ish. He's been off-kilter lately.

skeetied posted:

Sleep begets sleep in kids. It’s counterintuitive but a day of broken sleep is more likely to lead to a terrible night. If it starts becoming a trend in our house, we do whatever necessary to ensure a solid day of napping to get back on track.

Yeah I remember reading that the nap brain is different from the nighttime sleep brain in kids. Here, it's just that he doesn't nap at daycare and the only times he will, means that one of his teachers are holding him and rocking him the entire time he sleeps. If they try to put him in his crib there, same thing there that he does at home--wake up immediately and cry. When at home he gets regular naps and seems more willing to nap in the first place, at daycare he's very stimulated and active so he gets distracted.

It's all a real conundrum. Wife came in last night around 2am to check on me with him during a wakeup. He was doing his whole "dead sleep in Dada's arms, wake up immediately when being lowered to crib" routine, and I've been fighting allergies and possible sinus infection probably gotten from our little guy. So, I wasn't feeling well and had taken a melatonin because my sleep has been poo poo the past few months even when he hasn't woken up in the night. Good news: the melatonin worked. Bad news: baby didn't care. He did sleep 7 straight hours from when I put him down last night before he woke, but boy was I out of it, and by the third attempt to put him in his crib I was pretty fed up with this whole schtick and basically begged the kid to let me put him down knowing he wasn't getting it. So my wife heard this on the monitor and came in to chastise me for "raising my voice" to him, and I told her, "YOU try being half-asleep standing up and wanting to go back to bed for an hour while our kid holds you hostage in his room by not letting you put him down!" I told her as long as our son keeps doing this I'm going to need help, I can't continue these broken sleep cycles and lack of deep sleep every night and still be a normally-functioning human being during the day.

My wife and I really do have a great relationship, though strained by the rigors of having a baby and thus not enough date nights, plus each of us working. It's just really strained at night because I'm almost a different person when I've been woken up multiple times before falling into deep sleep and rocking my son for an hour at 2am doesn't help when I'm basically wide awake after that, and by the time I get back to sleep it's an hour before he wakes up for the morning.

I'm thinking I'm going to ask her to switch back to alternating wakeups with him, at least when she's not on a huge project that requires getting up early and working late. I'm also getting MYSELF back on a sleep schedule and I'm going to TRY to get to bed by 9 or 930. I feel like I've got shift worker sleep syndrome just from waking up with baby, which I haven't experienced since working night shifts for a month on, month off in the Army, over seven years ago. I was younger and it was easier then to deal with, now I'm older and starving for sleep.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I don't want to spam up the thread, but Amazon is running a sale on the Green Toys again. They're high-impact plastic toys for relatively cheap. They're nigh-on indestructible and well engineered to be taken apart and cleaned. The boats actually float, the wheels actually spin, etc.

The submarine even is open at the front so you can use it to pour water in the bath for washing hair.

Very toddler friendly.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

FunOne posted:

I don't want to spam up the thread, but Amazon is running a sale on the Green Toys again. They're high-impact plastic toys for relatively cheap. They're nigh-on indestructible and well engineered to be taken apart and cleaned. The boats actually float, the wheels actually spin, etc.

The submarine even is open at the front so you can use it to pour water in the bath for washing hair.

Very toddler friendly.

Extremely seconded. These are awesome!

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Okay so I've been bitching a lot, but this is a genuine concern.

Three times in the last week, including tonight, our guy (11mo) has been returning home from daycare and screaming and crying inconsolably until we get him in the bath. Quick scenario rundown is, get him from daycare, he naps in car and for a little while after we get home (15-20min usually), wakes up, we get him out of his car seat, he goes absolutely berserk and it goes on typically until we get him in the bath and ready for bed (the bath usually calms him). He is impossible to console during this time.

Things we've tried and the results below
    Hold him on our laps: rolls, slides, screams, cries and fights us tooth and nail to get off us
    Sitting him on floor with or without toy: screams, cries, throws toy if he even bothers to pick it up, throws himself or falls onto floor and possibly hits head
    Standing him at coffee table with or without toy: screams, cries, lets legs go limp and falls to floor, possibly hits head
    Offer bottle: screams at the mere sight and turns head and/or pushes bottle away
    Offer pouch: same as above
    Offer frozen teether: same as above, or will throw it if he takes it from us
    Put in bath: mostly works to calm him, except for last night where he still cried a good bit in between laughs--he LOVES bath time and when he sees his little tub he reaches for it
    Put in swing outside: apparently a miracle device/laugh factory

Things we've theorized as the cause
    Teething: he's cutting six teeth right now but it doesn't seem to bother him to this degree at any point during the day and won't take a teether when he usually is excited to have a teether to bite on--ibuprofen given at least once a day on top of this
    Tired: not rubbing his eyes, will still fight sleep at bedtime
    Diaper rash: hasn't had one any of the times he's done this
    Gas/burp: does not ever scream and cry like this over trapped gas
    Hunger: doesn't want bottle or pouch
    Sick: getting over RSV and is usually a champ when he's sick, still will play and crawl and smile and laugh even when he isn't feeling well

So to sum up, he doesn't want formula, food, teethers, toys, he doesn't want to crawl around, stand up or sit on the floor or on our laps, and in fact most of these things seem to piss him off even more. His teachers at daycare have said he's fantastic and hardly, if ever, fussy during the day, doesn't cry for bottles or food, and is always busy and active around the room. In the morning before daycare he's more or less happy also. This has been his behavior for two consecutive evenings and we're at a loss. Yeah we can swing him when the weather is good but we're not looking forward to a world where the foreseeable future is inconsolable screaming and crying each evening with little possible recourse. He's not currently experiencing a leap or milestone. I should mention that this also means he doesn't eat his third meal of the day. In other words, we're worried something is seriously wrong with him because it seems like he's in extreme pain, but his usual behavior during teething is not at all this, or to this degree, and not taking teethers to soothe his gums makes me think something else is wrong. I'm afraid if we call the triage nurse at his pediatrician's office, they will just say it's teething or, "welcome to parenting," but I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this with any of their children at a similar age? The witching hour of his younger months has got NOTHING on this and I've never seen him act like this until recently.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Is he just letting go of all his grumpy emotions from the day?

My son in the 1-2ish range was pretty crabby and touchy after getting home from a great day at daycare. Because we are his safe space so we get all the big emotions unloaded on us.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

sheri posted:

Is he just letting go of all his grumpy emotions from the day?

My son in the 1-2ish range was pretty crabby and touchy after getting home from a great day at daycare. Because we are his safe space so we get all the big emotions unloaded on us.

Possibly, I hadn't thought of that. My only thing with this theory is that this isn't just crabbiness--this is full-on berserker rage, where I'd feel like he'd punch us if he had the concept. He will fight against us physically tooth and nail but doesn't seem to be happy or even a slight bit less irate at anything we do.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
So I have an 18 week old baby already wearing 6-12 month clothes and 98th percentile for length at 68cm, currently eating me out of house and home. I pump and have a good supply but cant really pump any more than I do currently and if hes gonna keep knocking back 150ml/5oz bottles every 2 hours I'm not going to be able to keep up and I'm burning through all my frozen milk stocks and aaarrrgh he is in a permanent growth spurt. I'm not opposed to topping up with formula if I need to but please tell me starting on solids in a few weeks will dampen his insatiable appetite

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Tamarillo posted:

So I have an 18 week old baby already wearing 6-12 month clothes and 98th percentile for length at 68cm, currently eating me out of house and home. I pump and have a good supply but cant really pump any more than I do currently and if hes gonna keep knocking back 150ml/5oz bottles every 2 hours I'm not going to be able to keep up and I'm burning through all my frozen milk stocks and aaarrrgh he is in a permanent growth spurt. I'm not opposed to topping up with formula if I need to but please tell me starting on solids in a few weeks will dampen his insatiable appetite

I would ask your pediatrician. Mine gave me a feeding guide at 4 months that he wrote up and went through it with me and added personal advice for my daughter. At 5 months he said starting with rice cereal was ok for her and that has really reduced her milk intake (of course when she eats it and doesn’t play with it :) )

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Possibly, I hadn't thought of that. My only thing with this theory is that this isn't just crabbiness--this is full-on berserker rage, where I'd feel like he'd punch us if he had the concept. He will fight against us physically tooth and nail but doesn't seem to be happy or even a slight bit less irate at anything we do.

This has been two evenings in a row, yeah? I’ve had a couple of stints like this with my now almost 13 month old.

Sometimes there’s not a concrete cause, it’s just a lovely evening or three and you grit your teeth through it.

Nearly every time I’ve put it down to being overtired or overstimulated. She sleeps like a log at home when she naps and sometimes gets FOMO at daycare so doesn’t nap well. I figure if she doesn’t want to eat, or doesn’t want to eat much, and she sleeps well that night, she probably didn’t need the meal.

On nights when she’s been like this and I wanted to get some food into her, I’ve abandoned the high chair and fed her on my lap so she gets cuddles while she eats.

Good luck!

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

femcastra posted:

This has been two evenings in a row, yeah? I’ve had a couple of stints like this with my now almost 13 month old.

Sometimes there’s not a concrete cause, it’s just a lovely evening or three and you grit your teeth through it.

Nearly every time I’ve put it down to being overtired or overstimulated. She sleeps like a log at home when she naps and sometimes gets FOMO at daycare so doesn’t nap well. I figure if she doesn’t want to eat, or doesn’t want to eat much, and she sleeps well that night, she probably didn’t need the meal.

On nights when she’s been like this and I wanted to get some food into her, I’ve abandoned the high chair and fed her on my lap so she gets cuddles while she eats.

Good luck!

Yep, two in a row. Seems to be no real cause, and we just had to move through it as you said. I think it was at least partially due to over-stimulation, my son is a lot like your daughter it sounds like. No naps at daycare, constantly busy, has to be into everything, doesn't want to miss out, and naps like a log at home. It's his night sleep that sucks and I'm chalking that up to teething and not to meals.

Yeah if my son would stay in my lap I'd do that, but even when he is in my lap and I offer him a pouch, it must seem to him as though I'm a jailer keeping him in a spot where he doesn't want to be. My son has pretty much refused to go in his high chair for the past couple months with some exceptions, so he usually will eat on our laps. But these couple of times, he's refused food or anything at all in or near his mouth. With pouches this is dangerous because they are usually uncapped, and if he pushes the thing away I have to wash my jeans for the third night in a row or should just stop wearing these jeans when feeding him :shrug:

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

6 teeth sounds like a ton. My kid had 4 at one time, and during the day he'd seem fine, and then randomly lose his poo poo and we could not console him. We'd give him a dose of advil and he'd be back to his happy self in 30 mins or so after it kicked it. Might be worth a shot.

*edit* Nevermind, re-read. You've tried that.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Is there an easy way to tell how many teeth are coming in before you see the white line of the actual tooth on their gums?

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

How do I make the transition from formula to solids? My daughter is 5.5 months old and our pediatrician has urged us to start trying some spoon feeding. We tried some watery rice cereal this week and it seemed to go down okay. So where do we go from there? Does anyone have a rough plan on what to try next and when and how much and all those details?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

We started out with foods like greek yogurt, cottage cheese, pureed avacado, or pureed sweet potato/yam.

We really just played by ear. Started off one meal a day, however much my son wanted to eat and supplemented with milk or formula and just went on from there.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Cocks Cable posted:

How do I make the transition from formula to solids? My daughter is 5.5 months old and our pediatrician has urged us to start trying some spoon feeding. We tried some watery rice cereal this week and it seemed to go down okay. So where do we go from there? Does anyone have a rough plan on what to try next and when and how much and all those details?

What worked for us is just using a food processor and giving him what we're eating. Eventually we gave him cheerios and non-processed foods. It's scary at first, but we were surprised that our kid instinctually knew how to mash that food with his gums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Cocks Cable posted:

Water it down with formula or breastmilk (not cow's milk) or keep doing it with water as long as it goes down just fine. Give it a couple weeks and then try oatmeal the same way. For awhile that's what we did, then we introduced single fruits and vegetables in with the oatmeal, first mixed and then gradually putting it separate. I think it's important to keep it to SINGLE fruits and vegetables, not mixed ones, to make sure that, if your child has an allergic reaction, you know what food caused it. You can just add foods this way over time and then later start mixing some together. Our son doesn't eat oatmeal as much anymore, though we probably should feed him rice and oatmeal more for the starch (more starch in rice). Keep Gerber or other brands in 1oz or 2oz cups on hand. We did 1tbsp of rice or oatmeal, 1tbsp of breastmilk, and 1oz of fruit or vegetable once we started introducing the latter.

Make sure you know from your pediatrician what foods your kiddo is too young to start eating, though. Even at 11mo ours still can't have cow's milk and is still on formula for the majority of his nutrition. While we're on that, you won't be transitioning from formula for awhile--your kiddo still needs it for hydration and nutrients, and starting to introduce pureed fruits and veggies and ground up grains is simply that--an introduction to food and not meant to be a major source of your daughter's nutrition just yet. That won't happen until after 12mo and until then you just do it to get her used to actual food and find out what she is allergic to and what she will and won't like to eat.