Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Kosumo posted:

CIG don't need raytracing they have Ryan Archer tracing.

:lol:

:thurman:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

I'm impressed by the fidelity of the comb not being in his hand, but actually stuck to his forefingers.

Also impressed that my space shooter doesn't have proper space, ships, flight, or shooting, but does have combs. Which mental illness is this again?

Edit: I'm sorry, apparently the comb has clipped through his fingers. Hard to see black on black, but I can't believe I didn't just assume by now that everything is always clipping through everything else.

How many times do you need to be told that the artists aren't the programmers and they can continue to pump out infinite art while the programmers struggle to get basic mechanics in place?

They're going to build physical objects to as part of Item 3.0 so you just say "this is a comb" and the rest of the AI takes over and places it dynamically in the world for your player to use. It will also have an argon displacement measurement.

Like duh this is game development 101. Stop talking trash about the PRE loving ALPHA you stupid goon.

If you knew anything you'd know this is perfectly normal for a game going on 8 years of development is supposed to be doing. In fact, CIG is ahead of the curve there because

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
Star Citizen 3.5 Patch Notes:

-Added a comb
-Added turtles

Known issues:

-Flight model is now broken

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sarsapariller posted:

Always fun when the people actually playing the game run into the cultists

"The game barely functions! The guns don't even fire in the right direction!"

:v: "Oh I see you're a complainer. Goons forum is that way."

:3:

It's even cuter when the part falling to pieces is the space game part.

It's kind of like all the CryEngine tutorials are for FPS type games and that section is improving while the space side isn't because very few people were dumb enough use CryEngine to build a large space type game; so there are fewer tutorials for how to get things working. :iiam:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I mean poo poo some people bought into Star Citizen multiple times, love what you love, destroy the grand illusion called "Quality" that's all I'm sayin

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sarsapariller posted:

Here's a quote from a player

Hmmm, that description sounds EXTREMELY FAMILIAR where did I see that:

Oh yeah! I said that! Because it was loving obvious

Entire flight model is now "Slow down and fight me, coward!"

The best part is this was the worst part about the older Elite games. Where blasting past your opponent at 1000000 ?/hr was the norm and you had to keep your target on the pixel as long as possible before it passed you and you both turned and started over.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Beet Wagon posted:

I'll spare everyone the 500000000 reddit comments about jacking off to new female models, but uhhhh what's happening here? Did they still not fix the "lol you're actually underwater" issue?

Space herpes.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

SabinBlitz posted:

Does anyone remember an old school space MMO called JumpGate?

Strafing combat eventually became the norm on how to fight. The devs of the game even embraced it once it started becoming meta and instead of loving with their physics instead adjusted ships to better or worse at that combat. You have fast, less weapons/armor scout ships that they released and they also released heavy fighters that couldn't go as fast but had more guns/shields.

It came down to pilot skills/preference/how bad they lagged.

Not to mention a few fighters in between to fulfill niche roles. Some we're better at circle strafing as opposed to jousting, etc. Others had more missiles to spam instead of doing the joust. Each faction had their own unique ships that helped fill different slots and it came together awesomely.

It was a great space MMO.

Star Citizen is not a great space MMO.

Edit: and holy poo poo. It's still going! http://jumpgate-tri.org

Back in the day, Descent had really fun combat, and the starting in the game was really cool and intriguing to play.

Meanwhile in Wing Commander the whole game was "who can turn faster" so naturally the player ship always seemed to have the faster turn rate. This wasn't as engaging or as fun. You basically had to find that perfect match of "how slow can I go where I can out turn the opponent while not becoming a sitting target".

Freespace did it better because everything felt weighty, but it came at the end of an era where space was starting to run dry on the people caring. It was cool but nobody really cared.

But in any case..! Having "strafing" in your space game can be fun because you can use that 6DoF pretty cool, but the cost there is that you also can't have high speed. So you can get the fun of Descent but you can't do it in a giant open world because it becomes worse and crappy and there's no cover to make engaging gameplay.

This is a challenge of space games. Flying straight at people and shooting is boring. Having these WWII dogfights requires even slower speeds making the gameplay and world feel smaller. And then having 6DoF gameplay requires even slower combat and stuff to weave in and out of arrayed around.

I have no doubt the SC will totally not figure out the magic recipe here for an awesome space game. They will continue to bobble through it, breaking more than they fix while making the FPS section better and better (because there's tutorials for those). :jebcry:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Some things just don't need to bubble up from the depths. Dudes a twisted guy.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

The worst kind of sores.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

The company who's best option of debugging something is "send us a video of the problem happening" is totally going to be able to figure out how to develop anti cheating algorithms in their code.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

I'll spare everyone the 500000000 reddit comments about jacking off to new female models, but uhhhh what's happening here? Did they still not fix the "lol you're actually underwater" issue?

I came.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Amazing Zimmo posted:

hmmm... grew up playing games about sinking ships :thunk:

What can I say? :sureboat:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
This whole page should just apparently be me talking to myself.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Sometimes broken up by me cross-promoting!

Sarsapariller posted:

(Sars, Squidget, Zeond, mateo360) A short mission using the original series bridge. It goes... poorly.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
New main menu background hype :toot:

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Taintrunner posted:

This store is weird. Apparently they're selling a map for 5 bucks? https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Add-Ons/Game-Universe-Map

LOL, the one thing that is actually a JPG, they don't show a picture of.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Agony Aunt posted:

This dumpster fire really defines irony.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Agony Aunt posted:

Colostomy Bag posted:

This dumpster fire really defines irony.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Add-Ons/Shut-Up-And-Take-My-Money

quote:

Want to show big publishers you’re voting with your credits? Pick up this special spacecraft skin honoring the RSI crowdfunding campaign!

Note: The functionality to apply skins has not been implemented yet and will be available at some point in the future!

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
"Star Citizen is good now and has everything I could want in a game" -This kid

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Taintrunner posted:

Front page of /r/gaming this week, lmao

sad!

Of course its Spyro. Really makes u think...

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

This is too on the nose even for CI.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

"Star Citizen is good now and has everything I could want in a game" -This kid

He does like turtles

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

The Titanic posted:

Back in the day, Descent had really fun combat, and the starting in the game was really cool and intriguing to play.

Meanwhile in Wing Commander the whole game was "who can turn faster" so naturally the player ship always seemed to have the faster turn rate. This wasn't as engaging or as fun. You basically had to find that perfect match of "how slow can I go where I can out turn the opponent while not becoming a sitting target".

Freespace did it better because everything felt weighty, but it came at the end of an era where space was starting to run dry on the people caring. It was cool but nobody really cared.

But in any case..! Having "strafing" in your space game can be fun because you can use that 6DoF pretty cool, but the cost there is that you also can't have high speed. So you can get the fun of Descent but you can't do it in a giant open world because it becomes worse and crappy and there's no cover to make engaging gameplay.

This is a challenge of space games. Flying straight at people and shooting is boring. Having these WWII dogfights requires even slower speeds making the gameplay and world feel smaller. And then having 6DoF gameplay requires even slower combat and stuff to weave in and out of arrayed around.

I have no doubt the SC will totally not figure out the magic recipe here for an awesome space game. They will continue to bobble through it, breaking more than they fix while making the FPS section better and better (because there's tutorials for those). :jebcry:

Space is too big, the scales are way too much. There's absolutely no point in filling "space" with "content" its stupid. Frontier tried the approach of "inhabiting" space with signals, cause its true, when you're compressing distances that take years to achieve even at lightspeed, an object of any scale except a dyson sphere surrounding a star, would be infinitesimal and incoherent to the player.

The best space game would be to fire rail guns at 10000x FTL with "projected outcomes". At the end of the day, its just another game of Battleship.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I wonder if the image is unavailable because they know if they show the fry-clutching-cash jpg they'll get sued. This way fans can buy it thinking that's what they'll get and forget about it in three months.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I wonder if the image is unavailable because they know if they show the fry-clutching-cash jpg they'll get sued. This way fans can buy it thinking that's what they'll get and forget about it in three months.

It hasn't stopped them archering before.
Star Kitten for example.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
https://twitter.com/Mysticstar80/status/1110369165842501632

seriously the graphics are now at the level of early PS3 games.

I guess that works well with the whole brown colour scheme they got going on with the planets.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Amazing Zimmo posted:

I guess that works well with the whole brown colour scheme they got going on with the planets.

I feel sorry for typing this out, but fidelity doesn't equate packing in as many features and tech samples into your game as you can. The game doesn't have any art direction whatsoever. There's no aesthetic that separates it from being a generic looking space game.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

no_recall posted:

I feel sorry for typing this out, but fidelity doesn't equate packing in as many features and tech samples into your game as you can. The game doesn't have any art direction whatsoever. There's no aesthetic that separates it from being a generic looking space game.

I fully agree, but this is SC and CR's vision. So only the best will do.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

it IS a generic looking space game

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Hav posted:

I'm shutting down an old internet brand at the moment and we keep finding out neat stuff, like the unit that was investigating using TLS backscatter to provide deep fingerprinting to get around people anonymising their IPs. Yeah, companies have been trying to get around the security things as much as states and criminals, which is why I'm coming off a hell of a Spectre/meltdown mitigation bender.

Holy poo poo that sounds clever. What variety of strings were they looking for that were popping up reliably enough to be able to fingerprint? Or was it still in PoC stage?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Morning!

'wake up in hab pick up book inspect it and then drop it, book should be stuck to your feet.'

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Amazing Zimmo posted:

why am I not surprised that this star citizen is also a second lifer? just another escapist community

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man
Bored looks at the moons of ArcCorp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZH_3xHPkD0

A victory lap might be a bit premature...

Meanwhile, WTF and Astropub manage to talk for the best part of two hours about Star Citizen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er5ojHF7_7o

And finally, Twerk rounds out the day by heading in a new direction - parking a teeny tiny Carden Loyd tankette on Bored's lawn with a 25 minute look at 3.5's patch notes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp9dxizN4kw

You're welcome

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Is 3.5 the "Jesus, Chris as forsaken us" patch?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Scruffpuff posted:

Everyone knows that women walk like this:

http://i.imgur.com/gwStNxu.gifv

Called it...

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The performance capture was Sandi.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWPqvQG3dBM

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Robert Downey Jr. looking paler than usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Tsar Mikey posted:

Speaking of GPUs: AMD, please leak the letter from Chris Roberts.

I agree.

Hav posted:

Fake edit:
So is dairy like super-manly, and what does lactose intolerance mean in the Fourth Reich? Asking for an Evil Merlin.

I do remember The Phantom occasionally being in a bar and drinking milk, which was amusing. Lactose intolerance just means buying somewhat more expensive lactose free milk. I don't even want to think about the rest of that quote, though.