Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I figured it out, it just takes way longer and more effort than I was doing

EVGA Longoria posted:

Buy waterslides for the kit.

Dry transfers blow, and I've never had a good outcome with them.

It's actually going extremely well now that I've figured it out. Whenever I do waterslides I have about a 25% chance of getting it horribly tangled up while trying to transfer it to the kit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The vidar is cool and good and I just finished its equally cool and good 1/100 kit.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I'm interested in a new pair of nippers to replace my Tamiyas I lost in the move. What do people recommend nowadays? I saw that there are like five different models of god hand on Amazon of all places so I guess things have changed a little bit.

Also, has anybody played with the cross silhouette SD models? I really like the new SD frame and was thinking of trying to work on a SD G Arcane.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
A MG RGM-79D just got announced and it's P-Bandai. :negative:

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Isn't the Leo space type P bandai too? I might get one, just to beef it up and paint in pretty spectral colors.
Oh wow that Neo Zeong rerelease for NT is also P Bandai, I feel so sorry for unicorn fans.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ka0 posted:

Isn't the Leo space type P bandai too? I might get one, just to beef it up and paint in pretty spectral colors.
Oh wow that Neo Zeong rerelease for NT is also P Bandai, I feel so sorry for unicorn fans.

There are enough Neo Zeongs sitting unsold in stores that you can pick up a can of white spray paint and a Sinanju Stein HG and still come out ahead.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
That's a shame innit. On the other hand, I cannot find the Fenice Rinascita Liberta at a normal price to save my life.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Monaghan posted:

The vidar is cool and good and I just finished its equally cool and good 1/100 kit.

Nice job on the metal bits dude. I've been fussing with a 1/144 Vidar and getting all the copper sections down is the most annoying part.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/norme002_bear/status/1109823985183678464

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
What am I looking at for LED unit options? I've heard the bandai ones kind of suck (they tend to flicker for whatever reason) and there are cheaper alternatives, but I don't know what they are.

Also, as a sanity check, I assume I don't want to like, put an orange LED behind blue plastic, yeah?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

LibrarianCroaker posted:

What am I looking at for LED unit options? I've heard the bandai ones kind of suck (they tend to flicker for whatever reason) and there are cheaper alternatives, but I don't know what they are.

Also, as a sanity check, I assume I don't want to like, put an orange LED behind blue plastic, yeah?

Just type Gundam LED into ebay and you'll find them easy enough. As for your sanity check, you'll want a LED that matches the visor color, or at the very least, a white LED.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Lemon-Lime posted:

A MG RGM-79D just got announced and it's P-Bandai. :negative:

Aww yiss, I'm gonna buy the heck out of that. If they want to put space GM Command on resale at the same time too, my wallet is open.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

RillAkBea posted:

Aww yiss, I'm gonna buy the heck out of that. If they want to put space GM Command on resale at the same time too, my wallet is open.

I'm going to have to find a reseller and pay a ridiculous premium to get it. :(

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I've always been curious about the Salamis Kai's hangar setup. Like, we know it more or less adapted the Albion's mobile suit bay's elevator to launch catapult setup but it's underappreciated compared to the dozens of shots from inside the MS bays of many other ships.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

I put out a preorder for this on Samueldecal the second it became available. I sent 14 emails and eventually, one was answered. I don't know what postal system they used but it took 4 months to arrive and by the time it did, I had nearly forgotten I had it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Bad news, everyone

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Gripweed posted:

Bad news, everyone

Eh, it's not that bad news, sounds like heavens gonna be pretty dull anyway, at least there'll be lots to talk about while we get our sinners hands eternally nibbled away by rats. And I kinda like rats too so that's another thing :unsmith:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gripweed posted:

Bad news, everyone

Don’t you remember the first rule of Gundam? Our souls are weighed down my gravity.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

I've seen gunpla Valhalla, those guys don't know poo poo.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Wow PBandai is the brokest I've ever seen it today.

New today is GunEZ Ground Type which feels odd as I thought the regular GunEZ was already the ground type to Gunblaster's space type but V:MSV disavrees.

And Gold Frame Amatsu Hana or rather the white gold frame recolor from Princess of the Sky. Which is pretty much just a straight black>white palette swap.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Someone must wa t them caus p-bandai site is busted right now.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Any tips of the RG Sazabi?

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
https://twitter.com/mountain_goats/status/1110542243507699712

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Crossposting from the Transformers thread

Phy posted:

Did you want info on the fictional transforming airplane or on this particular toy release BECAUSE I CAN DO BOTH

The VF-4 Lightning III (because the P-38 was the first, and the troubled F-35 is the second) was at one point meant to be the replacement for the VF-1, which you and probably everyone here know as the hero mech of Macross/the good part of Robotech, and the toy of Jetfire. The VF-4 got all of a dozen seconds of screen time in 1987, jet mode only, in a 30 minute animated music video compilation set to fuckin' Lynn Minmei singing. Designed when Shoji Kawamori still cared about making planes that look like they came off the deck of a carrier, the VF-4 kind of bolted the nose and neck of the XB-70 Valkyrie to the rear end end of the SR-71 Blackbird, marrying the two fastest jets in the world into a design that looked like sex on wings. Then they did nothing with it until 2001, when they stuck it in a game on the Dreamcast, and someone remembered "oh poo poo we never actually designed a robot mode for this thing." So bot mode's a little gonkulous.

There's been a few garage kits and non-transforming plastic kits made of it, but until now the only toys have been from Yamato and Arcadia and were deadly expensive. (Like, Yamatos used to cost MP-36 money, Arcadias now run up to the MP BW Megatron/New MP Optimus range). Yamato's VF-4 was the last valk it put out before it went bankrupt, Arcadia was either a restructuring or someone protected from liability who bought all Yamato's designs and picked up where they left off. In the meantime, Bandai's been putting out a bunch of toys under the Hi-Metal R and DX Chogokin lines. The Hi-Metals are smaller and somewhat less detailed, the DX Chogokins are 1/60 scale and fully perfect transformation. I only found out about either lines a couple weeks ago, after the preorders for the VF-4 were sold out. Cue me checking in every day to see if it'd been released, and when it was on last Friday I got an order into Bandai's own online store because HLJ, Amiami and Hobbysearch were all sold out. The Bandai order was promptly cancelled and refunded, so I ended up grabbing it off Japanese Amazon from a reseller for actually not a bunch more than retail.

This sucker is a Hi-Metal R release, which makes it about the size of an MP carbot. It's not a fully perfect transformation - the canopy pulls off instead of hinging, the landing gear plug in instead of being behind moving doors, the jet intakes are plates that yank out and there's a couple of filler panels covering the thighs. It comes with a VF-1's rifle that isn't entirely canon but still looks great attached. I haven't transformed it yet, but I understand how. Still looks like sex on wings.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Azubah posted:

Any tips of the RG Sazabi?

I'm not exactly a super experienced builder, but the only problem I had with the Sazabi was failing to get the back on because I hadn't seated the body side of the shoulder joint fully.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Phy posted:

Crossposting from the Transformers thread

I have the Hi-Metal VF1 and it's a really good toy. Pain in the rear end to transform, though, so it just sits on my desk in fighter mode.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Finished my first two Master Grades.

Had a great time building the GM Sniper II. I loved putting together the tiny pistons that animate with the articulation and the mechanism the allows the arms to come forward so much was a revelation.

The Jegan was a bit of a disappointment in comparison. It's not bad but the construction was so simple in comparison to the Sniper II. Things like pistons are just moulded-in detail and instead of the amazing mechanism in the shoulders it's only like three pieces that don't feel as good. Kind of surprised the sticker for the eye camera was just a regular matt sticker, even most of the HG's I've made have used a metallic sticker for that.

Going to build the Jesta next. Was going to do it instead of the Jegan this week, but the LED unit I ordered off ebay was late so I'd thought I'd wait to do it.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The Jesta is a really cool kit. It's a grunt kit that looks bad rear end and has some very nice color separation. What color LED are you getting for it?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Just how many arms does this guy need?
https://bandai-hobby.net/item/3238/

Veotax posted:

Finished my first two Master Grades.

I'll defend the Jegan in that it's a very nice sculpt and poses well. It is very much a different kind of kit to Gundam 2.0 based stuff though, yes. Bandai can't quite seem to decide if they want MG to be a highly articulated line or a highly detailed line. They were definitely leaning towards high articulation around the original 2.0 era but more recently they seem to favor simpler, more durable joints on high detail frames with more color separation.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 27, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RillAkBea posted:

Just how many arms does this guy need?
https://bandai-hobby.net/item/3238/

I choose to believe that thing is equipped with rocket fists, and that's how it reloads.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

why not just have one big arm strong enough to fire the Beam Magnum without breaking? I understand that one of the benefits of Mobile Suits having standard hands is that they can easily switch loadouts. But if you have to add a rack of extra arms because the gun keeps breaking the arm, maybe just having one non standard arm that won't break would be the better solution

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I do like the look of the Jegan, especially after I got it panel lined and stickered-up, it's just the build wasn't as fun of an experience. Haven't played with the posing too much yet, probably going to put this one on an Action Base and keep the Sniper kneeling.

Azubah posted:

The Jesta is a really cool kit. It's a grunt kit that looks bad rear end and has some very nice color separation. What color LED are you getting for it?

Found a red one from a UK seller on ebay at an alright price. Would have gone orange since I think that's a better match for the visor, but it was either wait a month to get a knockoff from China or a weekend (in theory, since it was late) to get a genuine one from a guy over here.

I also have the Gundam F91 and the lighting unit for it too, but I'm saving that kit for last. Currently out of work, so I'm spacing my kits out for the time being. One a week.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I can't believe an amazing idea like "extra arms" was immediately ruined by "because we keep breaking the hands with the gun." Amazing idea wasted.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

why not just have one big arm strong enough to fire the Beam Magnum without breaking? I understand that one of the benefits of Mobile Suits having standard hands is that they can easily switch loadouts. But if you have to add a rack of extra arms because the gun keeps breaking the arm, maybe just having one non standard arm that won't break would be the better solution

There have already been hundreds, if not thousands, of mobile suits with guns that don't break their own arms. We can chase realism in a giant robot setting down a rabbit hole that leads ultimately back to tanks and airplanes/spacefighters, or we can accept that the premise of mobile suits at all is ridiculous and a Gundam with a gun so powerful it breaks its own arms and can reload its arms is pretty fuckin' funny.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Like obviously if anyone sane was in charge, they would do one of:

make arm stronger
make gun weaker
hardmount gun
put gun on a mobile armor instead

But no, this design project is apparently being headed up by the kind of engineer who takes benzos every day and tries to smuggle them into Saudi Arabia for work, so the answer is instead "arms are a consumable and here's a reloading system"

It's like how Tallgeese just loving kills its pilots unless they're Zechs. Provide a G-suit? Naw. One of those fancy breathable liquid suspension cockpits? Too expensive. Make the thrusters weaker? Heck no. Put a little stop in the thruster controls so you can't drive them as far? Sissy. Sack up and eat gees, pilot.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
In defense of the BigDuck designers it was the first mobile suit prototype and they made others that were usable later.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm holding out until they make an MG Stark Jegan or an Eccoas Jegan so I can rebuild my Stark Jegan Eccoas Custom in 1/100 scale.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Phy posted:

It's like how Tallgeese just loving kills its pilots unless they're Zechs. Provide a G-suit? Naw. One of those fancy breathable liquid suspension cockpits? Too expensive. Make the thrusters weaker? Heck no. Put a little stop in the thruster controls so you can't drive them as far? Sissy. Sack up and eat gees, pilot.

But the Tallgeese was acknowledged as a failure, and all derived Mobile Suits had weaker thrusters. They saw that the Tallgeese was killing it's pilots, and their solution was mothball the Tallgeese. Zechs was the one who dug it out of storage for his own personal use

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Also they aren't gonna provide a g-suit for the tallgeese because if you're wearing a g-suit you're not going to be able to wear the alliance/oz's sick rear end uniforms while piloting. That trade off is just unacceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Monaghan posted:

Also they aren't gonna provide a g-suit for the tallgeese because if you're wearing a g-suit you're not going to be able to wear the alliance/oz's sick rear end uniforms while piloting. That trade off is just unacceptable.

Oh clearly. You gotta look swank, or what's the point?

Also, the fictional decisions made by OZ are in aid of the metafictional decision to have a monster sealed away for the deuteragonist to tame, and use it to threaten his foes on a more equal level.

If the writers of Wing had decided smart engineering decisions were more fun than shonen tropes, the "Tallgeese" wouldn't have existed, because the conditions that make it pilot-lethal would have been anticipated and mitigated during the design phase. There'd be hundreds of "Leos", artificially limited to do the maximum acceleration that a trained pilot can survive, but no more; and then despite being an inexpensive mobile suit that could fly right up its own rear end in a top hat, it would mostly get used as a bomb truck. The prototype would be in a museum somewhere, but no better (and probably worse) than any later Leo. Because that's exactly what the F-16 jet fighter was and is in the real world. Same drat problem as the Tallgeese, it can physically turn harder than a pilot can survive, they just programmed it so it won't.

I realize I'm not saying anything interesting by pointing out that these giant tanks with legs are designed first and foremost to be cool and/or funny, and only justified in the fiction after the fact. But I've kinda gotten away from my point here, which is that a mobile suit that has to reload its arms because Gun Too Stronk is a crazy idea that even the most coked-up weapons development project would shout down, and I applaud the person bold enough to put pen to paper to design it.