Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Honestly one of the problems I think Kingmaker had is that it feels like the devs loved the ruleset too much. Most games usually simplify things somewhat to make them work better and explain them better to non-players of the base ruleset while they just seemed to think that their entire audience would full on know how to char-op Pathfinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

PirateBob posted:

Oh wow, so I take it this game still isn't really worth playing, despite patches?

That depends on whether you find the game charming enough to look past some of its design issues, and how much you're willing to use mods to remove those design issues.

The fast travel mod from Nexus is like, the bare minimum to QoL improvements for getting through the game imo. And to do a (mostly) completionist playthrough it would probably help to have one of the cheat menus if only to unbug the occasional stuck sidequest, even if you prefer not to 'cheat' insofar as cheating is a thing with on-the-fly difficulty adjustment.

The game is very playable in its current patch, but what other people have said is really accurate--it is PF with an rear end in a top hat-GM. At times it does a really great job of incorporating your choices and delivering lasting (sometimes too long term) consequences, but it manages certain aspects poorly and has a few poorly written miniquests where you can see the railroad tracks too clearly. So, you need to be ready to reload saves sometimes, and to spend a bit of time optimizing your characters and equipment--which if you are unfamiliar with the PF ruleset is probably a bigger time commitment than you'd want. If you are familiar with PF it's just a matter of figuring out the differences in the PC port and finding builds that work.

Zodiac5000 posted:

Severe seems like an overstatement? The game is what it is, but I'm not sure at this point I can reasonably call it a dumpster fire of errors like when it came out, at this point it's just a low B-tier game and probably won't ever be more. You can reasonably play through it beginning to end without encountering any major bugs (which is admittedly a low bar to pass, but considering how hard they failed to pass it before...) and it's a fairly accurate grab of the ruleset and adventure path. The kingdom stuff is largely superflous beyond a bit of 'decorating the doll-house' feeling though.

It is rather frustrating that the kingdom building isn't a littler better fleshed out because it is sort of integral to the game, but also sort of completely beside the point except as an additional way to game over. There were definitely some planning failures in the design here, with how Advisors work (or, how you can run out of them for story reasons) and the timing works out so that you're alternately so pressed that you can't get projects done, especially the curse projects which are necessary for the 'best' ending, or you have these vast stretches of downtime between main quest lines that you're just kind of clicking on cards for ages passing time, depending on your playstyle, difficulty level, and party strength. If you blitz through main quest stuff you can easily end up with like, 6-8 months of game time where nothing happens, hoping some sidequest will trigger.

grah fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 10, 2019

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

grah posted:

The game is very playable in its current patch, but what other people have said is really accurate--it is PF with an rear end in a top hat-GM. At times it does a really great job of incorporating your choices and delivering lasting (sometimes too long term) consequences, but it manages certain aspects poorly and has a few poorly written miniquests where you can see the railroad tracks too clearly. So, you need to be ready to reload saves sometimes, and to spend a bit of time optimizing your characters and equipment--which if you are unfamiliar with the PF ruleset is probably a bigger time commitment than you'd want. If you are familiar with PF it's just a matter of figuring out the differences in the PC port and finding builds that work.

This is the thing that gets me; they went with super rough encounters, many of which don't even match actual pathfinder rules, and then give you some of the most gimped companions I think I've ever seen in a crpg. (also, your spoiler tags are broken).

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Keeshhound posted:

This is the thing that gets me; they went with super rough encounters, many of which don't even match actual pathfinder rules, and then give you some of the most gimped companions I think I've ever seen in a crpg. (also, your spoiler tags are broken).

Even Harrim with his 18 point buy and Valerie with the 'I am rping as EX-palading' do their job well unless you play on unfair.
And they they give you guys like Ekun, Jubi, Nok Nok and Octavia. Granted, for someone not paying attaention, Valerie or Amiri gimping themselves with their initial equipment is annoying, but a far cy from gimped.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

JamMasterJim posted:

Even Harrim with his 18 point buy and Valerie with the 'I am rping as EX-palading' do their job well unless you play on unfair.
And they they give you guys like Ekun, Jubi, Nok Nok and Octavia. Granted, for someone not paying attaention, Valerie or Amiri gimping themselves with their initial equipment is annoying, but a far cy from gimped.

The contrast between the well built companions and the badly put together ones is huge. Sure, I can finish the game with them. I can also finish the game with an int 8 wizard, but that's not a useful metric. They don't do their job well. Is it better to have them than to not have a companion in the slot? Yes. Do they do their job well? No.

It is silly that the companions are poorly built, when companions are a great way to ensure that a new player doesn't have a completely awful experience by making them strong enough to cover for a badly built PC: But no, let's add another layer of system mastery.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Valerie can very easily become a durable tank+dazzling display machine with the feats/options the game autoselects, and with DLC classes, works extremely well as a kinetic knight.
I do not care if Harrim's stat aside from Wisdom were 10, he would still have Wisdom 18 and access to the cleric list. That means he is mid tier just from that.
Out off all chapter 1 companions, the one who is actually more of a Trap is Jaethal because of her undead trait (which matters less since 1.1 where they let you buy inflict wounds scrolls and potions at Olegs).
You overstate the problems with their builds too much.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Harrim's base job is to wear heavy armor and do cleric poo poo and Valerie's is just to wear heavy armor and tank poo poo. They can easily perform their default duties with zero investment and can fill other roles by being immediately swapped over to, in Valerie's case, Feyspeaker, Thug debuffer, or kinetic knight. If they're the worst characters the game has to offer then that says more about your other options than anything else

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Keeshhound posted:

Woops, thanks.

The starting companions are not great. Linzi is alright, I find it helps to switch her from level 2 on into Sylvan Sorcerer, extra smilodon helps out a lot on the front line, and eventually sorcerer will overtake the bard spell progression. And all you really want out of Linzi is to cast web and haste forever and ever (and maybe later icy prison or chains of light or whatever, but by that level you're probably good).

Valerie is...a fighter with too much charisma and not enough strength and also a tower shield. Yeah. She can grab Cornugon Smash and a level of Thug and be serviceable. Intimidating prowess helps as well.

Fear in general is really strong in this game (and in Pathfinder) because the Demoralize rules are super unfair to the defender. Basically only wisdom casters have a real chance at not being hit by a demoralize attempt. Which wasn't a huge deal, shaken is just a -2 and can't progress to any deeper fear from further demoralize attempts. But then they made the Thug rogue archetype and frontloaded with a free ability that does exactly that, so, oh well. May as well use it.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah, grah’s comment of “strict rule set with an rear end in a top hat GM” is my main problem with it. Pathfinder is not a good system unless the GM handwaves a lot of it and fudge a bunch of rules and rolls. In KM, you have a Gygax who is cracking his knuckles at the chance to throw all his monsters’ powers and status effects at you.

Edit: to be clear, I still have 60 hours in it, and will likely do another run through once 1.6 comes out, so it’s still an okay game. Conversely, I’ve had played maybe 20 minutes of PoE2 before I shelved it for completely pretentious writing and opaque mechanics)

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 11, 2019

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

grah posted:

That depends on whether you find the game charming enough to look past some of its design issues, and how much you're willing to use mods to remove those design issues.

The fast travel mod from Nexus is like, the bare minimum to QoL improvements for getting through the game imo. And to do a (mostly) completionist playthrough it would probably help to have one of the cheat menus if only to unbug the occasional stuck sidequest, even if you prefer not to 'cheat' insofar as cheating is a thing with on-the-fly difficulty adjustment.

Hell, the cheat menu is a godsend for when you hit those rear end in a top hat GM moments just exploring the world.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
i think people are being a little too hard on the game. almost all of what was said is true (except for linzi being bad, basic bard is quite powerful between the group buffs and the enchantment spells it gets, linzi will always contribute something to the group even if she isn't min-maxed statwise), but i've found the game to be pretty enjoyable. questionable design decisions aside, it seems much more like the baldur's gate experience than pillars of eternity to me, and they have fixed many of the bugs finally. imo even the first chapter would be worth buying on it's own, as it is paced better because of the lack of kingdom managment.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Well, yeah, some of the parts almost work, but as a whole it's not worth your time because of the overall poor design, tendency to waste your time, and tedious combat experience. SHame, because there are elements that hold some promise.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

GoluboiOgon posted:

i think people are being a little too hard on the game. almost all of what was said is true (except for linzi being bad, basic bard is quite powerful between the group buffs and the enchantment spells it gets, linzi will always contribute something to the group even if she isn't min-maxed statwise), but i've found the game to be pretty enjoyable. questionable design decisions aside, it seems much more like the baldur's gate experience than pillars of eternity to me, and they have fixed many of the bugs finally. imo even the first chapter would be worth buying on it's own, as it is paced better because of the lack of kingdom managment.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, this is the only place that's really overtly negative about the game. Most comments elsewhere seem to agree that the game came around after the first big update in dec/jan.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
I realize my post was mostly criticisms, I should probably point out that I like the game quite a bit. Enough to have sunk way too many hours into it getting the 'full' ending. It's really charming, the story is great and it does a good job of getting across the tabletop sort of experience. It just also has some serious design issues that, at least for me, it's best to mitigate with mods rather than muddle through.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Just finished my second playthrough of Pillars of Eternity 2 and switched to this. A pleasant surprise.

The first chapter felt a little empty and simple but now I'm having a blast. Just got rid of troll problem, have no clear goal so wandering Outskirts and taking care of my sweet barony.

Wondering why isn't this game a much bigger deal. Writing and worldbuilding are superb, interactivity is good (though some areas feel lacking and they could do more with reactivity - most of my companions didn't get anything new to say after I become a ruler which is strange), general looting, exploring and roleplaying feel great - the combat is a little bit simpler than PoE1/2 but the systems are much more integrated. And relatively gentle time pressure is nice - though I've set Kingdom difficulty on Easy as it was recommended to me. I can see how this game may be too stressful for many people: the wrong build will hit you hard, and time pressure may be a deal breaker. After all, many people play RPGs as relaxing games with built-in difficulty scaling. If the enemy is too strong you just return later when you're stronger. P:K is not afraid of letting me fail: there are plenty of chests I couldn't open and won't return to them cause it would mean spending a week of precious time; plenty of enemies I haven't beaten even if I could handle rest of the location.

Perhaps the release version had much more technical problems. Right now loading is quick for me (much better than PoE1/2) and I only have some rare minor bugs (2 characters are stuck in the same place and only one of them can move).

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Saying this game had a rocky start is an insult to games with rocky starts everywhere. It was literally impossible to complete the game on release thanks to an absurd amount of quest trigger fuckery, the game balance was cocked, game options were mislabeled or just not working, The sheer mass of poo poo that didn't work right after the opening chapters(that were tested in the KS beta) meant the game got justifiably shat on most places. Sure, it's playable now, but that's on the back of months of super frequent patching, and while some groups try to portray that as a good thing, it's obviously not. The codex crowd crowned it the best RPG of 2018, when the game wasn't possible to complete for the majority of 2018.

And the loading complaints are mostly centered around kingdom management and how many loadscreens you have to go through to manage your kingdom. They've partly fixed that by letting you manage it on the world map, but you still need to go to your throne room frequently to have conversations with people because of how the triggers are set up. Spending 5 minutes between loading, walking through town and returning to where you were just to have a single, short conversation with your advisors whenever you rank up a kingdom stat is super silly.

Cynic Jester fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Mar 25, 2019

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Cynic Jester posted:

The codex crowd crowned it the best RPG of 2018, when the game wasn't possible to complete for the majority of 2018.

It's no surprise codex would do that. I think if you want to get into 1st place of their top RPG list you should release monochrome game in Klingon with no mouse support and hundreds of character stats with no explanation. I think they have some law against saying that more mainstream game has anything that more obscure one lacks. I got hate mail after mentioning that Fallout New Vegas world is not as open as Fallout 3 there.

I was pleasantly surprised by how fine it works now after hearing about the release version. In comparison, PoE2 had some problems at the start and right now feels like a less polished experience than Kingmaker.

Naturally, I'm in the honeymoon phase and may miss many problems yet. I can see that the characters are extremely slow and will probably get old fast, especially with some puzzles in dungeons requiring you to run around. I think there's too much thrash combat compared to PoE2, and in PoE2 a lot of it you could evade. I played NWN1/2 so I know how D&D 3E works, I can imagine it's much harder for those who don't. This game is also very comfortable with letting you screw yourself both mechanically and story-wise. Usually RPGs are much more clear about stuff you can miss.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.
There's a lot of reasons, and they will vary from person to person.

Technical problems is putting it lightly, but there were a lot of criticisms being leveled about the game being unfairly difficult. Just as an example, there's a fixed encounter from Restov on the way to Oleg's Trading Post that they adjusted - literally the first fight after the prologue - because too many players were dying. It was also depressingly common to end up with broken quests that would leave your companion questlines unfinishable, or worse, affect the main questline, rendering you unable to continue the game unless you were willing and able to load an earlier save, try again, and hope. Some people bounced off it hard just because it was Pathfinder. Or they hated the kingdom management aspect, or didn't like the writing or the fact that large chunks of the game aren't voiced.

Ultimately the game was functionally unplayable on release. While I (and plenty of others others) toughed it out through various methods (including plenty of backup saves) and enjoyed it, the overall playability and condition of the game was by no means acceptable when the game came out.

I did one complete playthrough on release and decided I would wait a few months before touching the game again, to see if the game would be any better after most of the bugs were fixed.

Last week, my wife and I started playing through it again together, and we've been enjoying it so far, but she and I have also been playing Pathfinder since it came out, so our tolerance for the legacy of 3.5 is rather high.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I'm playing the 1.3 beta branch and after restarting I can say the game becomes a ton more fun once you have an exit from the throne room and also install umod and three mods:

Movement speed mod: I use the default settings which doubles the game speed out of combat so haste and buffs are same relative duration, you just hustle like in a normal rpg. Haste makes this even faster and is pretty much the best spell in the game.

Bag of tricks: i turned item weight to 0. The game plays a lot smoother when you can just mash loot all and move on with your life. All the heavy nonmagical leather armor and chain is worthless so this isn't really game breaking, if you want "balance" versus normal just buy all the bags of holding anyway. This also lets you carry your stash around, inventory isn't great in this game and this lets me bypass the annoyance. I also use it to return weather to normal, view optional dialogue, and pass important conversation/chest lockpicking rather than save scum. It's annoying otherwise you basically must spec your character into charisma for persuasion and perception and trickery and that really limits your build options.

Kingdom management: i turn on manage everywhere, preview events and random encounters. I also turn on auto-convert gold to bp when necessary which should have been in the game to begin with. Preview lets me know if i should try to evade or if it's a story encounter and gives me a little hint as to what char i should send to deal with a problem card. I also turn on tab to be a toggle than hold which is in this mod for some reason because so many things are hidden in the scenery and you're just holding down the button anyway.

Manage everywhere is so important to avoid accidentally failing the entire game which is still possible with a bad event you didn't do in time because you didn't know you needed to. You can also roll back bad bullshit events by bumping stats back up with bag of tricks. Like the one that decreases stats every day until you finish it but can trigger while you are helping and locked into fast forwarding time in another card.

There are also ones i considered with a third mod but unearthed (unleashed?) arcana adds too many changes. It'd be nice for spell effects like web and grease to disappear after combat, for example.

There are other settings i probably tweaked but those are the major ones - the enjoyment of the game went way up when you can smooth out some of the edges.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 25, 2019

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Thanks for recommendations. Movement speed mod looks like something I'll have to get.

Bag of tricks - still not sure if it doesn't break the game, cause for mi Lindzi is somewhat encumbered even when she's in light armor.

Still, it's a mystery why the game doesn't have "Loot all the stuff that exists to be sold". I still have some satisfaction from clicking all those broken belts and silver rings, but clicking on gold feels like I'm back in Diablo 2 times.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

ilitarist posted:

Thanks for recommendations. Movement speed mod looks like something I'll have to get.

Bag of tricks - still not sure if it doesn't break the game, cause for mi Lindzi is somewhat encumbered even when she's in light armor.

Still, it's a mystery why the game doesn't have "Loot all the stuff that exists to be sold". I still have some satisfaction from clicking all those broken belts and silver rings, but clicking on gold feels like I'm back in Diablo 2 times.

Movement speed is vital. I'm also fond of the one that let's you toggle object highlight.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

ilitarist posted:

The weight thing is a toggle so you can just go back if you don't like it. You can also try the encumberance modifier which maybe will do what you want? Character encumberance ceases to matter once you start getting magical items sice you'll have str enough to wear whatever you want and the game is crazy generous with bracers of armor.

It does have a sell all trash option. Click the circle next to sell and select what you want. Check all the boxes, then hit sell.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Bhodi posted:

It does have a sell all trash option. Click the circle next to sell and select what you want. Check all the boxes, then hit sell.

I meant "get all trash". You get 5 bandits looted and have to carefully click gold, belts, gems etc while evading cheap and heavy weapons and armor.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

ilitarist posted:

Wondering why isn't this game a much bigger deal.

It gets worse the more you play it, basically. Bugs and bad game design regarding difficulty stack up increasingly as it goes on. This thread moves in waves; initial excitement, then enjoyment, then frustration, then people just quitting.

Those mods might make the difference, granted.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

ilitarist posted:

I meant "get all trash". You get 5 bandits looted and have to carefully click gold, belts, gems etc while evading cheap and heavy weapons and armor.
Oh yeah, misread. Once i got past my "I'm not playing how designers intended therefore it's cheating!" attitude in this single player mostly story experience i had a lot more fun. Loot all, yeah I'm carrying an entire armory, what of it. I'm a baron and there's a huge wagon train behind me dealing with all that mundane stuff. Also, now my messengers don't stop at my border and i can continue to receive and send commands when less than two days walk on foot from my capital city. My play time is valuable and this is already a 40+ hour game so i don't need to sit and watch my guys jog across an already explored map.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Oh Kingmaker. Several hours of gameplay in a less patient mood switched me from "why is this game not talked about" into "ah I see why" opinion. Makes me appreciate Pillars of Eternity much more, cause it's more apparent how it fights the inherent problems of real-time with pause RPG combat.

Speed mod helps (even though it's telling that such functionality is not in the game itself still) but otherwise it quickly becomes obvious how the game doesn't respect your time. And the sheer size of it becomes its detriment. Those tabletop RPG systems aren't made for Diablo monster density. Players who think that those Pathfinder fights are great, I'd wish some computer game would allow me to play hundred of them in several hours are like a 16-year boy dreaming of becoming a porn star.

Case in point: my last challenging fight was against troll king. I had level 6 party and had just a ~100 XP till level 7. Still I tried to fight him. Only left a scratch, he obliterated my party no matter how I buffed myself. But wait! He has a very low will saving throw. Being a tactical genius I am I came back to the town and bought all kinds of scrolls for my bard and alchemist to use - all targeting will. Some throne events had pushed me into level 7 - didn't get a lot of improvement from it. Got no new equipment. Came back for the troll and attacked him with everything I had: the priest had switched to previously unused Hold Humanoid, bard tried to make the troll laugh, alchemist cast something... Everything failed. But I was 1 more level stronger, 5% improvements all over the place. And it was enough for this party to kill the troll king without that much trouble on the first post-level up try. My tactical genius wasn't needed. Now in a tabletop game, it would be a story of drama. The evil dice had betrayed us, nothing of our will-breaking spells worked. But then step by step sheer heroic power of my characters overcame everything. In real-time combat, all I saw was my party doesn't die and can sustain itself on potions and troll dies.

After that battle difficulty took a dive. But not a dive like I can ignore the combat. The low difficulty now looks like I have to do a routine when I see stronger than average enemy. I cast bless (several types of it), heroism (4 times), alchemist mutagens, bard's song, magic shield, magus weapon enhancement, magus mirror clones, barbarian rage... When I try to automate it my characters spam their spells - magus spends all arcane points enchanting a weapon each round. Only then the combat starts by moving my tank ahead and pre-casting makes a difference between my party getting slaughtered whatever I do and my party killing everybody with auto-attacks and my rare involvement with healing. None of it feels engaging after several hours when of figuring out how is it supposed to work. Pillars of Eternity was right when it made consumables the only thing that can buff you outside of the combat giving you real strategic decisions. I still trying to be clever here in P:K but then the grind stops it. I got to a place well above my level, there are 11 level magic things that start combat with AoE that kills half of my party. So I prepare for it with my priest 4th level spell that shields from that specific cast. But I can only cast it once between rests and after 4th encounter with those guys (and every encounter is practically the same) I can see that this location will grind me, I'll have to rest and buff again after each combat. So I have to go to lower level locations where I can buff every few minutes and obliterate everything.

Quest design, writing and reactivity are great in this game. But combat and padding are getting to me. After replaying Pillars of Eternity 2 I thought about forcing myself to play Baldur's Gate 1 for the first time and replay Baldur's Gate 2. But now I remember that PoE is not what classic RtwP was, it's more similar to our nostalgic rememberance of it. And I remember that BG1 was like P:K: fighting boring ecnounters with little tactics, but the writing and reactivity were much worse. BG2 might have better writing and grand scope but the gameplay is still that mindless chore. Maybe NWN was right about making it all about single character: that way at least you can see the dice roll screwing you up cause there's only one thing happening at any time demanding your attention.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
PoE and D:OS have both modernised classic crpgs, whereas kingmaker still demands you regularly punch yourself in the dick. I've bounced off it a few times now. I hate the kingdom management. It only detracts from the game. If I could grow my kingdom like a party member, specialise, get bonuses, hidden quests, that would be great. But it's just a plate spinning money sink. I guess it might work in tabletop but it feels like rpg xcom and for me, it just doesn't work.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Baldur's Gate claimed to modernize those old school D&D games too. And I think it's an evolutionary dead end that happened to be popularized by talented developers and great world-building. Even PoE2 now shows that party-based complex combat works in turn-based system and you need a lot of effort to make RtwP not feel bad.]

In a similar way makes me appreciate "casual" games like Skyrim or Fallout 4. In some ways their simplistic design has more interesting choices that Pathfinder party management. After I settled on my party and decided which prestige class my main character will get leveling up ceased to be interesting. They don't do worldbuilding as well but pacing is much better - unlocking my 100th chest is still exciting in those simpler games while in P:K loot had stopped being interesting once my team got their magic equipment. Finding a great weapon on level 1 meant going from +2 to-hit 2-7 damage to +3 to-hit 3-8 damage and felt like a big deal, now with all the buffs it's going from +14/10-20 to +15/11-21. Plus you have all this BS with same bonuses not applying twice so even getting a great accessory might mean that no one on your team will benefit from it.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
i just cast grease on everything. monsters great and small and typically many in my own party succumb to this mighty spell. in fairness this is little different--although slightly more annoying--from sleep, web, and chaos in baldur's gate.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ilitarist posted:

Oh Kingmaker. Several hours of gameplay in a less patient mood switched me from "why is this game not talked about" into "ah I see why" opinion. Makes me appreciate Pillars of Eternity much more, cause it's more apparent how it fights the inherent problems of real-time with pause RPG combat.

Speed mod helps (even though it's telling that such functionality is not in the game itself still) but otherwise it quickly becomes obvious how the game doesn't respect your time. And the sheer size of it becomes its detriment. Those tabletop RPG systems aren't made for Diablo monster density. Players who think that those Pathfinder fights are great, I'd wish some computer game would allow me to play hundred of them in several hours are like a 16-year boy dreaming of becoming a porn star.

Case in point: my last challenging fight was against troll king. I had level 6 party and had just a ~100 XP till level 7. Still I tried to fight him. Only left a scratch, he obliterated my party no matter how I buffed myself. But wait! He has a very low will saving throw. Being a tactical genius I am I came back to the town and bought all kinds of scrolls for my bard and alchemist to use - all targeting will. Some throne events had pushed me into level 7 - didn't get a lot of improvement from it. Got no new equipment. Came back for the troll and attacked him with everything I had: the priest had switched to previously unused Hold Humanoid, bard tried to make the troll laugh, alchemist cast something... Everything failed. But I was 1 more level stronger, 5% improvements all over the place. And it was enough for this party to kill the troll king without that much trouble on the first post-level up try. My tactical genius wasn't needed. Now in a tabletop game, it would be a story of drama. The evil dice had betrayed us, nothing of our will-breaking spells worked. But then step by step sheer heroic power of my characters overcame everything. In real-time combat, all I saw was my party doesn't die and can sustain itself on potions and troll dies.

After that battle difficulty took a dive. But not a dive like I can ignore the combat. The low difficulty now looks like I have to do a routine when I see stronger than average enemy. I cast bless (several types of it), heroism (4 times), alchemist mutagens, bard's song, magic shield, magus weapon enhancement, magus mirror clones, barbarian rage... When I try to automate it my characters spam their spells - magus spends all arcane points enchanting a weapon each round. Only then the combat starts by moving my tank ahead and pre-casting makes a difference between my party getting slaughtered whatever I do and my party killing everybody with auto-attacks and my rare involvement with healing. None of it feels engaging after several hours when of figuring out how is it supposed to work. Pillars of Eternity was right when it made consumables the only thing that can buff you outside of the combat giving you real strategic decisions. I still trying to be clever here in P:K but then the grind stops it. I got to a place well above my level, there are 11 level magic things that start combat with AoE that kills half of my party. So I prepare for it with my priest 4th level spell that shields from that specific cast. But I can only cast it once between rests and after 4th encounter with those guys (and every encounter is practically the same) I can see that this location will grind me, I'll have to rest and buff again after each combat. So I have to go to lower level locations where I can buff every few minutes and obliterate everything.

Quest design, writing and reactivity are great in this game. But combat and padding are getting to me. After replaying Pillars of Eternity 2 I thought about forcing myself to play Baldur's Gate 1 for the first time and replay Baldur's Gate 2. But now I remember that PoE is not what classic RtwP was, it's more similar to our nostalgic rememberance of it. And I remember that BG1 was like P:K: fighting boring ecnounters with little tactics, but the writing and reactivity were much worse. BG2 might have better writing and grand scope but the gameplay is still that mindless chore. Maybe NWN was right about making it all about single character: that way at least you can see the dice roll screwing you up cause there's only one thing happening at any time demanding your attention.

100%. I'll just add that the time wasting aspect gets worse as you go on, and by the end every single loving enemy spams permanent ability drain just to annoy you.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
You pretty much have to know the pathfinder / 3.5 ruleset and looking at it from there outside is not a good look. It's been described as "RPG with an rear end in a top hat GM" and that's pretty much it exactly. The system is not great and it's even worse when you don't have someone moderating the combat and story.

The drain and aoe is a perfect example, if you aren't carefully reading the hundred spell options or have the wrong party composition you might overlook death ward, and might not realize 2h fighters/barbs are murderous whirlwinds of death, 1 level of vivi makes them even better, and speccing them with synergistic feats like outflank, sieze the moment, and combat expertise make it so when any of your melee crit (nok-nok has 2 daggers and a 16-20 range) every single one gets a free hit. You absolutely faceroll encounters if you're "prepared" aka know how to break the system over your knee.

Sadly, 90% of your players being frustrated and 10% being bored does not a good game make.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 26, 2019

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
I dusted this game off again and am loving the solo Kineticist run through I'm currently doing. Don't know if it can beat endgame, but it's is absolutely crushing everything in sight. I suspect the PnP version of Kineticist has some form of saving throw for Deadly Earth. Looks like they patched out a ton of bugs, though there's still bad memory management and loading time, if not as bad as before.

1 Monk / 19 Kinetcist if anyone cares, off this guide. I'm doing WIS/traditional monk and skipping persuasion in favor of actual will saves instead though. You don't need to make friends when you can drop a 20' AE that trips everything and does a ton of damage with no save.

https://www.gog.com/forum/pathfinder_kingmaker/ineffects_guide_v2/post140

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Kalas posted:

I dusted this game off again and am loving the solo Kineticist run through I'm currently doing. Don't know if it can beat endgame, but it's is absolutely crushing everything in sight. I suspect the PnP version of Kineticist has some form of saving throw for Deadly Earth.

Sure doesn't.

Occult Adventures posted:

DEADLY EARTH
Element: earth, wood; Type: form infusion; Level 6; Burn 4
Prerequisite: extended range
Associated Blasts: earth, magma, metal, mud
Saving Throw none
You infuse the ground in a 20-foot radius anywhere within 120 feet of you on an earthen surface (if you are using a metal blast, this infusion affects a metal surface instead). The ground roils and buckles beneath the affected area. All creatures and objects in contact with the ground within the area when you create it automatically take 1/4 of the normal damage from your blast with no saving throw. Any time a creature enters the area, it takes half the normal damage from your blast, as do creatures that end their turns in the area. The entire area counts as difficult terrain. This infusion lasts for a number of rounds equal to your Constitution modifier or until you use it again.

Edit: What archetypes did they add for kineticist? If they added Elemental Annihilator things can get hilarious because the level 20 power of EA is a 50d6+50 composite blast that costs 4 burn. (10d6+10 each of bludgeoning, cold, electricity, fire, and force.)

Prism fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 26, 2019

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
Well then. At ~ 14th level my magma composite deadly earth was doing something like 60-70 damage per round. I had to drop Bowling/trip to get it 'free' burn though.

Prism posted:

Sure doesn't.

Edit: What archetypes did they add for kineticist? If they added Elemental Annihilator things can get hilarious because the level 20 power of EA is a 50d6+50 composite blast that costs 4 burn. (10d6+10 each of bludgeoning, cold, electricity, fire, and force.)

Dark Elementalist
Psychokineticist
Kinetic Knight

The Knight looks pretty nifty and I think a lot of people make Valerie that instead of the boring fighter, since she has such good CON anyways.

The build I was playing doesn't use an archtype, it needs too much flexability and the Knight, while neat, is limited to Blade forms only.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
There's a new (free) DLC that adds in all the Create Pit spells.

The spells are very good, the higher level ones can suck up entire encounters. They're not as good as in the PNP because enemies in the pit are basically nonexistent (except for possibly taking continuous pit damage) for the duration of the spell, so you can't say, cast Acid Pit and then summon a bunch of acid resistant/immune creatures into the pit to kill the enemies that are trapped down there. But the AI makes absolutely no effort to avoid pits, and they target reflex which is a bad save for a lot of the larger and more difficult enemies, so they're overall fantastic spells.

Conversely, the party AI is equally terrible and if you aren't really on point with controlling your party, the pit spells can kill your entire party as they absolutely insist on running directly into the hole. And there's of course no way to end your spells early except to cast Dispel Magic and beat yourself in a caster level check, which, bleh.

The more exciting bit about the DLC is for the first time your kingdom matters--there is a merchant that appears in town who sells scrolls of just about every arcane spell as far as I can tell. She gets more/higher level scrolls as your kingdom's arcane stat increases. Given that arcane also unlocks teleporting between settlements, it is officially the only stat that matters.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

grah posted:

The more exciting bit about the DLC is for the first time your kingdom matters--there is a merchant that appears in town who sells scrolls of just about every arcane spell as far as I can tell. She gets more/higher level scrolls as your kingdom's arcane stat increases. Given that arcane also unlocks teleporting between settlements, it is officially the only stat that matters.
loving finally.
To both of those.

I was thinking of giving this another go when my current BG2 and IWD ironman runs reach their inevitable conclusion, probably gonna do it now. Although, maybe I should wait until the other kingdom stats matter.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

grah posted:

Conversely, the party AI is equally terrible and if you aren't really on point with controlling your party, the pit spells can kill your entire party as they absolutely insist on running directly into the hole. And there's of course no way to end your spells early except to cast Dispel Magic and beat yourself in a caster level check, which, bleh.
The eldrich arcana mod lets you dispel your own ground effects early and instantly.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Wizard Styles posted:

loving finally.
To both of those.

I was thinking of giving this another go when my current BG2 and IWD ironman runs reach their inevitable conclusion, probably gonna do it now. Although, maybe I should wait until the other kingdom stats matter.

The Vendor Progression mod appears to do this for other stats as well.

I've also been tempted to give this another shot too now that it's gotten some patching (though with 1.3 in beta I might wait until that patch is final and some mods update for it) but I assume that it's better for me to restart rather than try to pick my abandoned save game back up?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

grah posted:

Given that arcane also unlocks teleporting between settlements, it is officially the only stat that matters.

To be fair, I can't think of anything more Pathfinder-esque then making your wizard stat be the only one that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Dallan Invictus posted:

The Vendor Progression mod appears to do this for other stats as well.

Honestly when I first got my kingdom I just assume something like that would happen. I was surprised to see that getting the next level of the economy didn't change anything at all.