Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Good idea, I’ll go back through those when I get back today and see if I had one with less/no reflection. The problem is that they’re sheltering in the breakwater rocks at a bad angle to the sun so a lot of it was compromising less reflection for worse light.

I might pass by there again closer to mid day instead of the evening to try and remedy that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Kestrel by Aves Lux, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Went looking for Great Grey Owls the other day, didn't find any, but found a snowy just north of the city, so can't complain too much

Snowy Owl by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

And some Waxwings at the park

Bohemian Waxwing by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
The snow covered berries are a really good background.

neckbeard posted:

Constructive criticism: I find the red reflection in the eye really distracting, which is a shame because the rest of that iris looks incredible. Are there any others like this you took that there isnt much/any reflection in the eye or possible to edit that red out?

It looks like most of them had some sort of reflection in the eye at that flat of an angle, the others don't have as good of detail because they're more head on and I think AF was catching more on the feathers and beak than the darker eye at that point.

Went to the colony at the Nobbies yesterday and kept the reflection thing in mind. You can't get as close there but the whole cliff is Westward facing so it was easier to avoid that and the light was better in general.

Had to deal with more tourist crowds that weren't used to wildlife though, like as soon as I'd spot one that everyone passed up near the boardwalk I would get swarmed with people trying to poke the penguins with their phones. Eventually a park ranger and a guy with a Canon 600 f/4 showed up and helped to scare everyone off, so that helped. That's the first time I've seen that lens irl though and it's loving huge.

bird box
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2eHu3q3]

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Whoa, some great birds in the past couple pages!

Atlatl posted:

Tawny Frogmouth in a walk-in enclosure. Really well camouflaged. It's way larger than what you'd think based on the photos, they're larger than most owls I've seen in the US.

The texture of this one reminds me a little of a Common Potoo, which is an awesome bird that I'd like to see someday.

We're getting record snowfall where I live today (over two and a half feet already!), so here's my meager contribution: A house finch, which was chirping out on the balcony. Hopefully those feathers keep it warm.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
duck swarm

These big swans sound like helicopters when they're trying to move or take off.

Probably going to be trolling this water treatment plan for the next few days, there's tons of stuff around. The heat haze really kills most of the shots and AF once you hit about noon though.

It's still cold enough from the wind, air temp, and humidity that I'm wearing a fleece, which is kind of throwing me off when I look at pictures taken in the afternoon and everything looks like it's melting from the distortion.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Not in the act of making GBS threads, but immediately post poo poo.

Choco Foxy poop-5343 on Flickr

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
Ready for spring here, I'm tired of these flat grey days. Much like this hawk is tired of that stick. It tried breaking it three or four times with its body weight before just biting it in half. I heard the Jurassic Park theme in my head the entire time.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Ready for spring here, I'm tired of these flat grey days.

Jesus, same. Ready to get back outside for some leisurely backyard birding.

Sitting on the back deck, camera on the tripod nearby, cup of coffee in-hand...

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Same, although the longer days mean I have to get my rear end out of bed earlier to get nice light.

Sunbeam Junco Square-5421 on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Speaking of light, here's a Little Eagle that was absolutely trying to get me to follow it through my 500mm supertele across the sun and blind myself.

The halo effect is partly the close angle of the sun and partly my clumsy overprocessing.
SD 197 Little Eagle 02 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I kinda like this one...

Wildcat Stellars Jay logo-5089 on Flickr

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
nice birds

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I kinda like this one...

Wildcat Stellars Jay logo-5089 on Flickr

This is lovely

Gat drat do I love both of these, especially that one with the reflection.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Can you hear me now? on Flickr

M Jay -5717 on Flickr

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I love this

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kenshin posted:

I love this

Thanks!

I took probably 400 pix of turkeys this morning still going through them but most aren't good. I kind of like this one, but probably more interesting than beautiful.

Hello Boys -6084 on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
/\/\/\ I think you hit both "interesting" and "beautiful". Turkeys in flight never ceases to amaze me, and I've seen it fairly close up in person a couple of times.

SD 198 03 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Dollarbird, Eurystomus orientalis

SD 198 07 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
SD 198 10 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
White-necked Heron, Ardea pacifica

SD 198 13 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Australasian Grebe, Tachybaptus novaehollandiae, with sole offspring. The juvenile was silent when both parents were below the surface, but started continuously, loudly peeping and running straight at the nearest parent if either was on the surface.

SD 198 15 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Another Australasian Grebe on a different little pond. No juveniles on this pond.

SD 198 01 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Two Yellow-billed spoonbills and a cormorant (probably a little pied)

Olds
Oct 17, 2005

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

A Superb Fairywren, fantastic!

Great shot!

I went somewhere new for birding last weekend: a riparian preserve near Phoenix. Lots of birds, rabbits, and turtles, and lots of people too!

Northern Shovelers.

A coot.

A Snowy Egret, hunting.

A catch! I can't quite tell what it got. Can anyone identify it? Some sort of fish?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Great Crested Grebe Courtship Dance by Aves Lux, on Flickr

You get up at 6am, pack the 400mm and 1.4x get there and wish you could afford the 600 f4 cos 560mm at f8 isn't cutting it.

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Mar 26, 2019

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Long-Tailed Shrike (??)

horrifying monsters

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Atlatl posted:

Long-Tailed Shrike (??)

Love the texture of the statue. Great shot.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I remember hearing these referred to as "bush chickens" in Tanzania and I've always loved that. They're wonderfully goofy looking.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Atlatl posted:

Long-Tailed Shrike (??)

This kicks rear end.

quote:

horrifying monsters best birds

Cool that you saw this! I'd almost be tempted to try a slow shutter speed with these guys.

DorianGravy posted:

Northern Shovelers.

A coot.

A Snowy Egret, hunting.

A catch! I can't quite tell what it got. Can anyone identify it? Some sort of fish?

I like the low angle on these.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Backyard birding season has finally begun! :buddy:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

The perspective on that robin makes his wings look goofily small and I love it.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

my cat is norris posted:

The perspective on that robin makes his wings look goofily small and I love it.

My seed mix beings all the special needs birds to the yard.

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.
Not a very colourful bird, but still a beautiful bastard I saw on a hike last week. Tough to spot.

Barred Owl
by Dominic Catellier, on Flickr

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Plus turtles

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Two weeks ago I went for a short walk along a new trail that follows the Santa Ana River in Anaheim, CA. Managed to get some okay photos!

A Black Phoebe resting on a wire.

Killdeer in flight. It was calling while doing circles around us.

Red-Winged Black Bird. We actually heard these before we saw them. They ended up hopping up on the fence and posing.

Male Tree Swallow.

I think this one was a female.

Lovebirds!

Western Bluebird. Sorry it's not closer. He was really far but was so vibrant I wanted to try.

White-Crowned Sparrow.

Northern Mockingbird. (This one was actually taken at The Huntington Library in San Marino, CA)

These are the best shots I got, I felt. I also started using the Merlin Bird ID app, which I think has helped a lot with IDing. The calls especially was what helped me identify the Killdeer.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zuul the Cat posted:

Red-Winged Black Bird. We actually heard these before we saw them. They ended up hopping up on the fence and posing.

You obviously wouldn't want to compose/crop this way all the time but I kind of dig this. Really creative!

quote:

I think this one was a female.

Pretty sure this is rough-winged swallow.

quote:

Northern Mockingbird. (This one was actually taken at The Huntington Library in San Marino, CA)

I was there a couple of years ago (w/o camera) and it seemed like it would be a pretty awesome place for bird pics.

The RECAPITATOR posted:

Not a very colourful bird, but still a beautiful bastard I saw on a hike last week. Tough to spot.

Barred Owl
This needs some love.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

You obviously wouldn't want to compose/crop this way all the time but I kind of dig this. Really creative!

I agree. It works really well.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Pretty sure this is rough-winged swallow.
I was there a couple of years ago (w/o camera) and it seemed like it would be a pretty awesome place for bird pics.

President Beep posted:

I agree. It works really well.

Thanks! I think you're right. I just threw the image in the identifier and that's what is popping up.

When I took that shot of the blackbird, he was up on a wire fence over my left shoulder, a few feet above and in front of me. They were a little flighty if I got too close, so I just had to make do with what I could. I really wanted to capture the coloration on their wings, and it just happened to be even so I cropped it. Definitely wouldn't do it all the time.

This is another one of them sitting in some low trees.

If you've never heard their call, this is it.

The RECAPITATOR posted:

Barred Owl

I missed this when I posted, but this is a beautiful shot. I really want to see an Owl in the wild. I still haven't.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Finally got out for a hike! Not too many bird pics, but drat our green California spring is making for some sweet backgrounds...

Scrub Jay yellow-Green Background logo-6813 on Flickr

wildcat webl green background logo-6745 on Flickr

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Does anyone have any tips/articles for rainforest photography? I spent 2 weeks having a blast but found it the most tricky photography situation I’ve ever encountered. How do you deal with the absurd contrast and back lighting? I tended to just expose for the animal I was shooting and ignore the background but I don’t really like the look of the blown out skies. Anyway to improve in post? Any tips would be ace :) not sure where to start!

My wife wants to print this one large and hang it so I’m very keen to get it looking as good as possible.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Is that a loving Quetzal? Jesus man great shot.

You can expose a little low and then hope that you can recover the shadows on the subject in post.

Also use exposure bracketing and use the shot that worked the best once you get it back on a your computer screen.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Finally got out for a hike! Not too many bird pics, but drat our green California spring is making for some sweet backgrounds...

Scrub Jay yellow-Green Background logo-6813 on Flickr

wildcat webl green background logo-6745 on Flickr

These are great. We've been really lucky to have the rain we did here in CA - the wildlife has really come out to enjoy it.

Bape Culture posted:

Does anyone have any tips/articles for rainforest photography? I spent 2 weeks having a blast but found it the most tricky photography situation I’ve ever encountered. How do you deal with the absurd contrast and back lighting? I tended to just expose for the animal I was shooting and ignore the background but I don’t really like the look of the blown out skies. Anyway to improve in post? Any tips would be ace :) not sure where to start!

My wife wants to print this one large and hang it so I’m very keen to get it looking as good as possible.

What a beautiful bird to see in person!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Yeah it’s a Quetzal. It’s the coolest animal I’ve ever seen on land. Beautiful thing.

The trouble is even stopped down a lot it looks basically the same. Cloud cover and bright sun just means white back breaking through the trees. I was wondering if I could like improve it with split toning or something but not sure. Or like drop a blue tint into the blown out white?

Real shame and I guess it’s best to shoot against pure dense trees but I only had about 30 seconds to shoot and couldn’t change angle :( Animals aren’t easy haha.