Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Troy seems to be doing better. EA just signed a deal to publish a local company's games, although it's an outfit by the same people who had started Vicarious Visions, which was acquired by Activision-Blizzard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
I thought velan had shut down or something, did they move office?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

uncurable mlady posted:

I thought velan had shut down or something, did they move office?

Not that I'm aware of, but I walk by there on the way to work every day, I'll see if the sign's still up.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

etalian posted:

Well Albany is only 150 miles from NYC.

If you had high speed bullet trains it would much less than the current 3 - 4 hour transit time.

There's something like 200 trains between Beijing and Shanghai each day but Albany to NYC gets half a dozen. Granted the cities are bigger in China, but still. NY is hosed up. I'd love to be able to commute from Upsate to the city

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i'm disappointed in my native state of New Jersey for failing to legalize weed, but that means New York gets the chance to be the first in the country to do it legislatively. it's a shame, NJ's bill looked legit

Gunshow Poophole posted:

This was super weird, a comrade called like two weeks ago asking about electoral connections in that district because they're looking for candidates to partner with the local Dem org

Apparently I had the inside track on this news? Lmao
i heard that Gustavo Rivera might be interested in that seat. he owns. he beat Pedro Espada in the primary for state senate back in 2010, years before AOC and Biaggi pulled that off. he's the lead sponsor of NYHA in the senate. the Bronx Dems hate him but he's obviously doing something right

Michael Blake is apparently interested, but that guy is cozy with the DNC and NYC machine, and he took the most money from developers in the public advocate election, so gently caress that

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

get that OUT of my face posted:

i'm disappointed in my native state of New Jersey for failing to legalize weed

New Jersey people really need weed to mellow out.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

it will make visiting my inlaws at the beach so much better

Real hurthling! has issued a correction as of 01:44 on Mar 27, 2019

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

etalian posted:

New Jersey people really need weed to mellow out.
most of the counties seem to disagree. i'd like to have Phil Murphy as governor with this legislature tbh

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

seems like there's a chance to get the Protect Our Courts Act (stop ICE arrests at state courthouses) passed this session, so we (NYC-DSA) have a calling campaign today:

https://twitter.com/nycDSA/status/1110618823068143618

i don't think this thread needs it, but just in case you can find your assemblyperson here https://nyassembly.gov/mem/search/ and your senator here: https://www.nysenate.gov/find-my-senator and call em up

call script: http://bit.ly/protectourcourts

thanks~

Crusader has issued a correction as of 13:29 on Mar 27, 2019

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Typo aside, what do you all think of this thread?

https://twitter.com/ZephyrTeachout/status/1111038594305720320

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

cuomo is so loving petty

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Not that I'm aware of, but I walk by there on the way to work every day, I'll see if the sign's still up.

Forgot to update that they did in fact move - I hear to the building where WB is, but I didn't see their sign there.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Forgot to update that they did in fact move - I hear to the building where WB is, but I didn't see their sign there.

ahh, that explains it

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
Went to Fish Bar last night and was assured that they are going to be there forever, and that should get my hopes way way up that them closing was only an unfounded rumor.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
is there anything I should be weary of wrt Caban for Queens DA? she seems pretty great.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Matt Zerella posted:

is there anything I should be weary of wrt Caban for Queens DA? she seems pretty great.

other than the fundamental fallacy of "progressive prosecutor" which she is deliberately engaging with and trying to figure out how to enmesh with a novel, non-carceral system of justice I'd say you're in the clear

BUM branch is on boar dwith the DSA endorsement and that's a decent bellwether. just realized miriam wrote the article for the website once the endorsement was voted through :3:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/2avsagas/status/1112779262879301632?s=21

is the MTA getting even more hosed up? only one member to represent NYC? lmao

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its cool how nj commuters have a bigger say in how streets work that ny residents.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

giving cuomo even more power is a great idea, i have no idea what you're all on. nothing can go wrong at all

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

im in the train reading ads and mta is touting their small business mentoring program but the numbers are weird. they list contract amounts and jobs created with a smiling worker and a bunch of nice prose but every set of numbers comes out to the same 41-42k if you divide $$ / jobs.

so im scratching my head cause these are electrical contractors and construction firms that i assume have to use some union workers. materials cost money. bosses collect big pay checks. taxes get paid. etc.

if theres fair bidding on the contracts how are they all coming out to the same price/job? how much could each worker really net in wages after the overhead is paid? who are these ads for - the daily commuting small business construction boss?
like a guy who's operation could do millions in mta contracts is gonna hear about the chance on the 6 train?

anyway these were my mad that its a work day morning thoughts.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Real hurthling! posted:

im in the train reading ads and mta is touting their small business mentoring program but the numbers are weird. they list contract amounts and jobs created with a smiling worker and a bunch of nice prose but every set of numbers comes out to the same 41-42k if you divide $$ / jobs.

so im scratching my head cause these are electrical contractors and construction firms that i assume have to use some union workers. materials cost money. bosses collect big pay checks. taxes get paid. etc.

if theres fair bidding on the contracts how are they all coming out to the same price/job? how much could each worker really net in wages after the overhead is paid? who are these ads for - the daily commuting small business construction boss?
like a guy who's operation could do millions in mta contracts is gonna hear about the chance on the 6 train?

anyway these were my mad that its a work day morning thoughts.

I’ve wondered the same thing OP, the $/job always seems crazy low

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
They're using scab labor op.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

grah posted:

They're using scab labor op.

ah so I should view those ads as union busting and let it fuel my hated of the mta

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

lol Biaggi sent out an email saying she was "disappointed" that the idc was not the "final boss to beat in Albany." what a dork, goon confirmed

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Glambags posted:

lol Biaggi sent out an email saying she was "disappointed" that the idc was not the "final boss to beat in Albany." what a dork, goon confirmed

The IDC was just Iudex Gundyr

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Biaggi and Ramos seem to be the loudest at calling out bullshit, they own. a fair amount of legislators aren't happy. kudos to my assemblyman Carroll for being one of them

quote:

you cannot grasp the true form of Albany's corruption

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 18:11 on Apr 6, 2019

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

why are there 6 cops in full battle gear and assault weapons just standing around doing nothing in my subway stop today? is it a terrorism anniversary?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Real hurthling! posted:

why are there 6 cops in full battle gear and assault weapons just standing around doing nothing in my subway stop today? is it a terrorism anniversary?

they need walkies

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Who said only Republicans like gerrymandering?

https://twitter.com/kristoncapps/status/1116694196436574209

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

central park is very low income. all those squirrels eat literal garbage

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
More buildcrime:

https://twitter.com/paullarocco/status/1116654361533386752

Waste management and crime?! How could this be?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

so nycha is trying to tear down 3 fulton house towers in chelsea in a pilot program where they put the tenants in private buildings leased on the public land.

like phase 1: build new private tower on nycha parking lot, move residents of old buildings in or to nearby building
phase 2: knock down old buildings and replace with new private buildings at 70% market rate 30% affordable.

its gonna be a human disaster if they get approval but considering how they surprised everyone with the plan they know its dastardly.

theres gonna be a lot of dumbass short sighted and racist deals for nycha property in desireable neighborhoods cause they need like 35 billion dollars asap to keep the system from imploding and no one wants to help them except real estate vultures.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Real hurthling! posted:

so nycha is trying to tear down 3 fulton house towers in chelsea in a pilot program where they put the tenants in private buildings leased on the public land.

like phase 1: build new private tower on nycha parking lot, move residents of old buildings in or to nearby building
phase 2: knock down old buildings and replace with new private buildings at 70% market rate 30% affordable.

its gonna be a human disaster if they get approval but considering how they surprised everyone with the plan they know its dastardly.

theres gonna be a lot of dumbass short sighted and racist deals for nycha property in desireable neighborhoods cause they need like 35 billion dollars asap to keep the system from imploding and no one wants to help them except real estate vultures.

As a Chelsea resident, please God no. What can I do?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
LOL, quite a convincing astroturf going on on the ol'e Twitters:
https://twitter.com/BringJobs/status/1120719906654294023

Wonder why they don't like the "#NoAmazon" crowd... :allears:

Absurd Alhazred has issued a correction as of 03:19 on May 3, 2019

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Lol

Btw, Queens DA election is coming up. I intend to vote for Tiffany Cabán

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Cuomo sure is mad at a cartoon

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Anybody working on the Cabán campaign? I haven't done anything but I'm curious how it's going.

City and State NY has the endorsement list up for the DA race. I think DSA officially endorsed Cabán as well, which is unlisted, but someone else will have to confirm that (I'm not a member).

I've also seen volunteers on the ground for Mina Malik in Jackson Heights and Astoria. Melinda Katz has the official county party organization behind her, but a bunch of the trade unions are behind Rory Lancman which could dilute the conservative Dem vote.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

LOL, quite a convincing astroturf going on on the ol'e Twitters:
https://twitter.com/BringJobs/status/1120719906654294023

Wonder why they don't like the "#NoAmazon" crowd... :allears:

lmao looks like Amazon supporters need a trigger warning.

I loved how Amazon left because they didn't get the adoration they demanded or people saying they were Ok with Bezos being able to claim primus noctis for all of NYC.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i thought caban had no shot, but a bunch of progressive groups moved to endorse her after Queens DSA did, so they'll probably be giving the campaign more manpower across the borough. my friend at Gay City News has grilled her a couple of times about her position on decriminalizing sex work, which she's dithered a bit on (as has Gonzalez after he voiced his support it), but she's as good as it gets as a whole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/NickReisman/status/1124814884443774978