Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

nooneofconsequence posted:

I mean it's nice to have a real villain rather than both-sidesing racists.

Right? I'm still flummoxed as to how the writers thought that was a good dynamic for this show. "MAGA CHUDS are bad, but you know who else is bad? Antifa! Yup, they're just like this Manchester Black guy, who - wait a second, you're not supposed to like him!"

Jon Cryer's killing it as Lex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

howe_sam posted:

Holy wow, that was some terrible CG

I giggle every time they say Miss Tessmacher

Yeah they've had some questionable CG before but that was outright baaaaaad. That said this felt like a breath of fresh air, I was always a little worried about them trying to take on contemporary politics in such a "timely" fashion because that last time they tried that was the end of Season 2 with the Daxamite Invasion. They were so desperate to do a "Resistance" story line (people taking to the streets etc.) to tap into how angry they were and it fell so horribly flat. It's always well intentioned with show but the execution is always half baked when they try that stuff.

But hey we've got two months left in the season and things look promising. Which based on the last two years means this thing is about to sail off a loving cliff.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

nooneofconsequence posted:

Booo go with the real sickle and hammer.

I didn't even realize they swapped it until the suit reveal. The cyrillic title was pretty boss tho!

Also, can I get a gif of Spetsnazgirl eating the choco cookies?

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

ruddiger posted:

Also, can I get a gif of Spetsnazgirl eating the choco cookies?

Patiently waiting to see what the significance of that is gonna be, and I hope it isnt just some 'You're gonna be fighting Americans, so you should know what their candy tastes like' or whatever type of deal.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I feel that was Luthor making friends, especially since she'd been living in high security prison and probably never tasted anything sweet before.

He obviously knows enough about Kara to have deduced that sweets are the way to her heart.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Maxwell Lord posted:

He obviously knows enough about Kara to have deduced that sweets are the way to her heart.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TwoPair posted:

:yeah:

who knew that telling comic book stories with comic book characters would be good instead of clumsily shoving them into complicated real world race issues? :v:

(although I find it weird that Lex knows Kara's identity because I mean it should follow that he knows Clark's identity and there's no way Lex Luthor would just sit on that tidbit of knowledge)

Lex is both petty and egotistical. Targeting Big Blue as Clark doesn't address the animus Lex has against Supes and aliens like him.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nice of them to finally explain what the gently caress is going on with the Russian Kaznian Supergirl. Also drat that was some really bad CG with the Daily Planet model.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
A Philip Jennings/The Americans reference?

Magnificent.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

muscles like this! posted:

Also drat that was some really bad CG with the Daily Planet model.

it was soooooooo bad lol

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

bring back old gbs posted:

it was soooooooo bad lol

It was bizarrely bad, especially because the rest of the episode looked pretty dang good and the CGI work overall has been pretty solid this season.

Was it just because it was shiny or something?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
That wig made lex look like David Spade.

A Fancy Hat posted:

It was bizarrely bad, especially because the rest of the episode looked pretty dang good and the CGI work overall has been pretty solid this season.

Inconsistent lighting and contrast is one of the big ways to tell how bad the CGI is.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A Fancy Hat posted:

They must have realized that the end of the last episode and beginning of this one didn't mesh properly and had to add that scene to make it all fit together? So they had like 3 days todo it or something and decided to go with a 30 second big budget CG fight :psyduck:

But that scene of Russian Supergirl flying through the clouds looking for the kid screaming help was one of the best flying scenes they've ever done. The lighting was great, and it all blended so nicely

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

A Fancy Hat posted:

Probably. That and it's a globe, which I don't think they've done before on the show. So they're having to make a whole new model and then work with the raw footage which (and I don't know behind the scenes stuff irt how superhero shows shoot superstrength stuff so maybe I'm wildly wrong) maybe had Cryer holding his arms in just a weird way that wouldn't work

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kaznian Supergirl is too much of a mouthful. How about just (*googles furiously*) сверхgirl?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Power to the People Girl.

Too bad they've telegraphed how this will end, Power Girl will see Supergirl saving people when they fight and Lex will be "get her now!" and she'll be "wait what? No innocent people are being hurt" and Lex will try "No on is innocent!" and then those earings he gave her will explode and kryptonite Gas will flood out and either straight up kill her or nearly kill her and force her to go live in Argo City.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I was behind a few episodes and just caught up.

Man this Lex is so comic book and so great.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

Kaznian Supergirl is too much of a mouthful. How about just (*googles furiously*) сверхgirl?

In the AV Club review and comments they call her Red Daughter.

Though "Snowbird" is also an option.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Closed captioning calls her Red Daughter too.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

TwoPair posted:

Closed captioning calls her Red Daughter too.

Also, didn't Lex call her that?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm getting really tired of every time this plot comes up someone has to mention the connection to the Red Son series.

How exactly is this connected to that anyways?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Rhyno posted:

I'm getting really tired of every time this plot comes up someone has to mention the connection to the Red Son series.

How exactly is this connected to that anyways?

?

What if a super being was raised in a communist state. How is it not obviously connected?

Or is that :thejoke:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GigaPeon posted:

Also, didn't Lex call her that?

Yeah but he only calls her that at the very end so I can see why people might have either missed it or wanted to find something else to call her.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I asked this before, but was immediately shot down since it didnt make sense, but now seeing that Lex has super strength that rivals Supergirls after taking the cure...

Vietnamwees posted:

I wonder what powers James is gonna get now that he got the cure.

Though in hindsight it'll probably just be super strength like Lex.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I'm not calling her that, it's stupid. If I need her help, I'll just yell "Skirt 2".

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I come offering donuts!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

I come offering donuts!

Who could refuse such a peace offering?

I am so glad to see Carl Lumbly back.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Oh God the Tessmacher family

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it Lillian.

They gave Harewood some red meat this week and he's tearing into it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Eve is going to be a fantastic villain. She's super smug and hateable. Also "ILoveLex"

howe_sam posted:

I am so glad to see Carl Lumbly back.

Sassy dad was very good.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Dear God, writers, stop trying to make this DEO storyline work. It’s irredeemable. Kara should have quit ages ago. Making Haley marginally less abrasive isn’t going to do it.

Yay dad’s back.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Majorian posted:

Dear God, writers, stop trying to make this DEO storyline work. It’s irredeemable. Kara should have quit ages ago. Making Haley marginally less abrasive isn’t going to do it.

Yay dad’s back.

She did quit ages ago.

The scenes with J'onn and Martian Dadhunter were incredible this week, and Tessmacher is a fantastic villain. What a great episode.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

She did quit ages ago.

And yet she keeps coming back!:psyduck: It doesn’t exactly evoke strength of character in Supergirl.

That said, Ma Tessmacher is delightful.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

She keeps going back because she knows Alex is a good person who will do what's right. That being said, I really do wish Alex would go to work for her SpaceDad at his detective agency and have that be the base of operations for Team Supergirl.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Man, J'onn is nailing this episode.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
"I SPEAK ENGLISH BETTER THAN YOU!" Just fuckin' LOL

Also theres so much drama between the main characters, you could cut the tension with a butterknife.

And I loving KNEW IT! JAMES GOT POWERS FROM THE TREATMENT AFTER ALL!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Vietnamwees posted:

And I loving KNEW IT! JAMES GOT POWERS FROM THE TREATMENT AFTER ALL!

He should because everyone else injected with the serum has, but I think James was supposed to be experiencing ptsd, not superpowers.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
It's frustrating that the show can nail something as well as the scenes with J'onn with his Dad, but then produce the Jimmy and his sister PTSD discussion which just thuds so loving hard. It's the same issue I've raised before, it's well intentioned pointing out that even Jimmy is going to deal with consequences from the levels of crazy poo poo happening, but the execution is just so straight on and lacking in any subtlety or nuance.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Speaking of J'onn, I am worried they are going to write him out or kill him since his char arc is basically complete. :ohdear: Or maybe I've just watched too many tv shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Speaking of J'onn, I am worried they are going to write him out or kill him since his char arc is basically complete. :ohdear: Or maybe I've just watched too many tv shows.

Move him to Legends after Crisis on Infinite Earths. This is my solution for any side character who starts to feel superfluous, but it would work amazingly for him. Give him his Choco addiction from the comics to add a bit of humor and he's golden.