Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm not sure he "accepted" anything. From what I've seen so far this appears to be a unilateral move by the prosecutor. The early claims of a "deal" seem to have been amended/corrected.

If he surrendered his bail money without a trial it required his consent as an act to happen.

The only real thing we know about that money is that it wasn't done through the courts as per normal plea bargain or sentencing. It's a giant unaccountable wild card that could blow holes in darn near any theory until we understand what it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/EmpireWriters/status/1110562098310873094

mystes
May 31, 2006

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Do you think he'd accept paying $10k and community service if he was innocent? Moreso if he was actually attacked in a hate crime?
Maybe if it was the only way to get them to drop the charges quickly and save his career?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Do you think he'd accept paying $10k and community service if he was innocent? Moreso if he was actually attacked in a hate crime?

Do you think “community service” was the likely outcome of 16 felony charges?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Innocent people have been known to plead guilty and end up on death row.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Do you think “community service” was the likely outcome of 16 felony charges?

He didn't even get sentenced. The excuse was "Well he does a lot of work in the community, so he can just keep doing that".

Iean the work he does in the community is LGBT and BLM activism so the DA saying to keep saying the cops ain't poo poo to minority groups is hilarious

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Your Parents posted:

Like, the two guys he paid are on video buying rope and masks and red hats.

sexpig by night posted:

what actually was on the tape was them buying masks before a polar vortex, and I think it was actually tape they were getting not rope.

Yeah this is what I heard, that the only thing on video was them buying masks in cold weather, and CPD lied about the rest, anyone have a source on that

E: And what's these guys' motive now? It was supposed to be a $3,500 check (seems low to commit a crime but I guess we all assumed they were poor black immigrants who would do anything for a nickel amiright), but now we've found out that was a cop lie and the money was for their personal training services so uhhhh now they did it just to make white people sad?

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 27, 2019

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah this is what I heard, that the only thing on video was them buying masks in cold weather, and CPD lied about the rest, anyone have a source on that

Someone posted a screenshot of a leaked video of them buying the masks in the last Uspol thread, I'm sure someone could find it with some searching.

TMZ had a copy of the check/memo line and the breakdown of their services for his upcoming music video.

Actually checking Jussie's tag on TMZ might turn all this up. I'd try but I'm having trouble doing stuff atm.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Koalas March posted:

Someone posted a screenshot of a leaked video of them buying the masks in the last Uspol thread, I'm sure someone could find it with some searching.

TMZ had a copy of the check/memo line and the breakdown of their services for his upcoming music video.

Actually checking Jussie's tag on TMZ might turn all this up. I'd try but I'm having trouble doing stuff atm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2XYAsj5ORs

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Z. Autobahn posted:

Like my best guess at this point is a Coen Bros-esque poo poo-show where a variety of people have all made stupid or sketchy choices, even when they're at odds with each other; we just don't know which people those are or what their choices were.

The best part is, in a very Coen Bros way, if he did it or not is completely irrelevant to the current outcome.

Say the cops provably, through their own leaks, fabricated evidence to get a warrant. Now all evidence collected as a result of that is tainted. So it doesn't matter what they found, or made up after that, it's all tainted.

So the DA is put between a rock and a hard place, and does this weird rear end deal normally reserved for idiot teenagers. And Smollett is given a choice between paying 10g or dealing with a bunch of cops who can, will, and have murdered people for not playing along.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Relentless posted:

The best part is, in a very Coen Bros way, if he did it or not is completely irrelevant to the current outcome.

That's my take, yeah. Whatever he did (or, probably, didn't) do, the case has now been so hopelessly screwed and tattooed there's no way to continue without it being an even bigger clusterfuck anyway. Dropping the whole thing is the only rational choice for the DA no matter how much the cops poo poo themselves over it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Captain Invictus posted:

That's what the cops want, though. Muddy the waters. Make you not believe the victim immediately.

Right, but Smoullette is the one who both surrendered his bond and then proclaimed he was exonerated, which is mutually exclusive to me.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

HootTheOwl posted:

Right, but Smoullette is the one who both surrendered his bond and then proclaimed he was exonerated, which is mutually exclusive to me.

In his situation, is that 10k worth staying in a fight with CPD?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Crossposting from the cop thread:

CWB Chicago got the case files for the Smollett case

quote:

CWBChicago is posting the complete Chicago Police Department investigative file on the Jussie Smollett "hate crime" investigation that we have received in response to a Freedom of Information Act request.

"Our requests for video, including bodycam, surveillance, and interrogation, was denied."

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 27, 2019

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I don't normally assume someone is guilty of a crime because the cops successfully shook them down for money, and I'm not going to start now even if it is a black guy

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
SNIP - actually, this is better in the cops thread.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 27, 2019

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Relentless posted:

In his situation, is that 10k worth staying in a fight with CPD?

If it was 10k to get the CPD to layoff, why did they have that press conference with the mayor?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Maybe the cops who thought they could pass off a check to personal trainers for personal training as a "help me kick my own rear end" payment aren't the most reasonable people, and trying to apply some kind of hyperrational game theory to prove someone must be guilty of something in order to explain the cops throwing a temper tantrum is dumb

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

From the police reports posted earlier in the thread they weren't allowed a look at the check itself, just the deposit and the amount.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Were they also not allowed to know what those guys do for a living and not allowed to check their public website for rates

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
My buddy and I were talking about it this morning. The issue is even if Smollett did fake the attack the cops are so used to half assing things particularly when dealing with black people that they undoubtedly did all kinds of shady poo poo just from habit. It's like OJ, he was almost certainly guilty but the cops were so corrupt and racist and so used to being able to rail road poor black people who lacked financial resources that it was trivial for a person with actual power and resources to expose all of their malfeasance.

Given the history of the CPD I guaranty they did some shady hosed up poo poo just because that's how they are used to operating and the DA knew full well that if it went to trail all that poo poo would be aired to the public.

For Smollett's part of course he's going to happily take the deferred prosecution and a $10k loss. Trials are risky and convict innocent people all of the loving time so only an idiot would chose to go to trial if they have a choice.

edit: Dyslexia sucks

Skex fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 27, 2019

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
As a non gang-affiliated famous gay dude, ie a huge target, yes you'd pay ten grand to get out of chicago city lockup without even thinking twice about it

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
According to my research of recently watching random episodes of the Shield, the cops probably would have murdered Jussie if it looked like he was about to be released and staged it as a suicide.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

As a non gang-affiliated famous gay dude, ie a huge target, yes you'd pay ten grand to get out of chicago city lockup without even thinking twice about it

He was already out of lockup; he posted bond last month.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
The CPD is corrupt as hell, but none of us have any idea what the hell is going on with this clusterfuck, and we should all stop pretending that we do know. We don't know if he actually was attacked and was framed by the cops, and we don't know if he faked it and the cops simply screwed up the case, and we don't what the DA's motives really are.

None of you really know jack poo poo, and neither do I.

In theory there's nothing wrong with speculating, but because this is a hot button issue, it is unfortunately inevitable that certain people here are going to assume you are a chud slobbering all over cop dick if you don't pick your words very very carefully.

predicto fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 27, 2019

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The problem with that theory is that all the claims supporting the notion that Jussie faked anything -- are sourced through the cops, who we now know were acting in bad faith.

At this point possibilities range from "Smollett was entirely innocent of any wrongdoing" to "Smollett did something bad, but whatever it was, the cops appear to have been actively attempting to frame him for something worse".

I don't know that we know this. It's just very likely given what the DA did, presuming the DA is not a total moron.

The part where the DA may have just forced themselves into retirement due to irreparable breakdown in trust with the police is also interesting.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Skex posted:

My buddy and I were talking about it this morning. The issue is even if Smollett did fake the attack the cops are so used to half assing things particularly when dealing with black people that they undoubtedly did all kinds of shady poo poo just from habit. It's like OJ, he was almost certainly guilty but the cops were so corrupt and racist and so used to being able to rail road poor black people who lacked financial resources that it was trivial for a person with actual power and resources to expose all of their malfeasance.

Given the history of the CPD I guaranty they did some shady hosed up poo poo just because that's how they are used to operating and the DA knew full well that if it went to trail all that poo poo would be aired to the public.

If I was forced to make a guess with a gun to my head, this is the guess I would make.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Snazzy Frocks posted:

lol spotted the person whose government isn't "Prison Hell"

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
tbh I feel like 95% of the people still insisting the story is fake are just because it "feels fake" and are being guided by their intuitions. Not the idea of a gay black man being attacked, obviously, but the specific details. Like I remember during the Kavanaugh thing there was a Twitter thread by a professor who specializes in hoax claims, and she listed her list of things to look for as a way of showing that Ford's testimony was legitimate, things like how hoaxes tend towards overkill and clean easily followable narratives (the perps yelling exactly how they knew him and why they were doing it), while real claims tend to have lots of unrelated or even 'narratively contradictory' details (like how in the Kavanaugh case, the other boy falling on Brett is a bit of almost-slapstick).

Like there's zero evidence that it was fake at this point, but I think a lot of people just think it 'feels fake' and that's a hard feeling to shake

(Worth noting that it's entirely possible the attack was 'fake' in the sense that it was some people, like the brothers, loving with Jussie and he's still the victim who had nothing do to with it; this almost seems like the most plausible scenario at this point).

Z. Autobahn fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 28, 2019

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
If you have businessy chuddy types in your sphere:

"Corporate America brought $664.9 billion of offshore profits back to the U.S. last year, falling short of the $4 trillion President Donald Trump said would return as a result of the 2017 tax overhaul."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-03-27/trump-s-offshore-cash-promise-falters-as-665-billion-returns

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Z. Autobahn posted:

tbh I feel like 95% of the people still insisting the story is fake are just because it "feels fake" and are being guided by their intuitions. Not the idea of a gay black man being attacked, obviously, but the specific details. Like I remember during the Kavanaugh thing there was a Twitter thread by a professor who specializes in hoax claims, and she listed her list of things to look for as a way of showing that Ford's testimony was legitimate, things like how hoaxes tend towards overkill and clean easily followable narratives (the perps yelling exactly how they knew him and why they were doing it), while real claims tend to have lots of unrelated or even 'narratively contradictory' details (like how in the Kavanaugh case, the other boy falling on Brett is a bit of almost-slapstick).

Like there's zero evidence that it was fake at this point, but I think a lot of people just think it 'feels fake' and that's a hard feeling to shake

(Worth noting that it's entirely possible the attack was 'fake' in the sense that it was some people, like the brothers, loving with Jussie and he's still the victim who had nothing do to with it; this almost seems like the most plausible scenario at this point).

Everything seemed reasonably clear until the DA dropped/deferred (it is still unclear which they did, based on reports I've read), but a large part of that "clarity" comes from the PD attempting to try Smollett in the court of public opinion. This is a totally bizarre, extremely unusual story and your personal political predilections can shape what seems certain, unclear, doubtful, or impossible.

Will be interesting to see if Smollett reappears on Empire.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
If you want a non-shouty history review of the investigations into dear leader, Frontline did this the other day, after the Barr report:

"For two years, special counsel Robert Mueller's probe into Russian meddling in the 2016 election has dominated headlines. Drawing from interviews with U.S. officials, Trump advisers, legal experts and journalists, FRONTLINE offers an inside look into the investigation that President Donald Trump has continually deemed a "witch hunt." "

https://www.pbs.org/video/mueller-investigation-hleb8x/

I've only seen the first half hour, so don't spoiler the end! :)

But do watch for Bannon speaking less kindly of the current state of things.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Everything seemed reasonably clear until the DA dropped/deferred (it is still unclear which they did, based on reports I've read), but a large part of that "clarity" comes from the PD attempting to try Smollett in the court of public opinion. This is a totally bizarre, extremely unusual story and your personal political predilections can shape what seems certain, unclear, doubtful, or impossible.

Will be interesting to see if Smollett reappears on Empire.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I don't know that we know this.

Yeah we do, even if we assume that the cops were just too stupid/incompetent to figure out why someone who needs personal training would write personal trainers a check for their personal training fee, and chalk up all the other info they leaked which turned out to be false as them being too stupid to do their jobs, you can't chalk up leaking damaging information about an active investigation to the press up to incompetence that was definitely bad faith.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah we do, even if we assume that the cops were just too stupid/incompetent to figure out why someone who needs personal training would write personal trainers a check for their personal training fee, and chalk up all the other info they leaked which turned out to be false as them being too stupid to do their jobs, you can't chalk up leaking damaging information about an active investigation to the press up to incompetence that was definitely bad faith.

Point of clarity, the information they leaked has not been proven true or untrue, but at some point a grand jury did pass down 16 counts.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

On the one hand, thanks WaPo:

quote:

Was there a plea deal?
Both the prosecution and defense danced around whether Smollett made a deal with prosecutors. (Presumably, Smollett did not want to admit guilt, and prosecutors wanted to avoid conceding the alternative.)

Semantics aside, Smollett agreed to a set of conditions that he satisfied before the charges were dismissed Tuesday.

The prosecution required the actor to complete 16 hours of community service through the Rainbow/PUSH Coalition, a Chicago-based social justice organization, according to State’s Attorney’s Office spokeswoman Kiera Ellis.

Smollett spent Saturday and Monday volunteering, the New York Times reported, lending a hand in the bookstore and speaking to children “about the importance of discipline and a good attitude.”

The actor also agreed to forfeit the $10,000 bond he posted to avoid being held in jail, a sum he otherwise would have gotten back.

“Had there been no forfeiture of his bond to the City of Chicago or community service, we would not have dismissed the charges,” Ellis said.

On the other hand, woof, there's a lot to unpack here:

quote:

If prosecutors had a strong case against Smollett, why would they drop the charges?
A prosecutor’s job is not to seek the most serious conviction or severe penalty. It’s to do justice.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts...m=.29b52422adae

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Okay, the discussion is still going, so I'll post what I put in the cop thread here.

I read through all the files the cops released in the Smollett case.

<Link to files here via CWB Chicago who did the FoI request>

<Link to me going through all the files in the cops thread>

There's no security camera footage or interrogation tapes in the files, just what the police put in every report they filed related to the case.

In short:

Apart from the confessions of the two brothers, the cops have nothing.

There is not a single thing in those police reports, not a single piece of physical evidence, which directly links Smollett to the attack beyond some incredibly flimsy circumstantial evidence.

Seriously go read the reports for yourselves, the entire case relies on the testimony of two immigrants who were most likely threatened with deportation or just being tossed into an ICE dungeon.

The interviews with the brothers read as "[redacted] was shown a length of rope. [redacted] agreed rope was used in the crime." "[redacted] was shown bottle. [redacted] agreed bottle was used to pour bleach on Smollett"

They lead them by the hand (or dragged them) the whole way. The reports do not contain a single thing the brothers volunteered about the case which the police did not already tell them to say.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 28, 2019

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Point of clarity, the information they leaked has not been proven true or untrue, but at some point a grand jury did pass down 16 counts.

It's a well worn saying that a prosecutor could indict a ham sandwich.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Why even bother with a trial, if you're indicted you must be guilty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sodomy Hussein posted:

'why would you be at a trial if you weren't guilty' is some deeply fascist logic my dude