Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Other... non blood spider things happened after that.

So, is this GG? Do I sit here forever? The game makes me think there is still hope to get out of this. But I am literally just chilling in a cell remorsefully repeating "I'm not skilled enough".

loving. owned.

you should be able to right click on yourself/your cage and pick lock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I started a new game to get that Kenshi feel of being pathetic back.

I did the squad start with a bunch of Hivers. We got dropped at a waystation in the rather dangerous southwestern corner of the map. I did a stealthy odyssey to the Flats Lagoon, bought crossbows using money gleaned from the constant looting of dangerous beasts killed by the town guards, then learned the art of forming a circular firing squad with micro management kiting to kill enemies that are way too strong to even get near.

It was something of a relief to finally journey back to the Hub area. Starving and dust bandits are so much more simple than Gorillo Bandits, Boneyard Wolves, and Beak Things locked in a constant hellwar.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Been having an interesting time in Kenshi. My main combat guy is officially Too Strong.

he leaves a trail of dismembered limbs in his wake

i thought this special boss-seeming type screaming bandit from the Shrieking Bandits Expanded mod would be able to take him out, but uh

the guy put on a good showing, but lost in the end. you can't beat a robot who can self-repair.

the fogmen aint poo poo to him

even in screaming bandit home turf they couldn't stop him.

so i've moved him into more of a teaching role, and he's there in case poo poo gets too real and my other guys get hurt or captured. I imagine if I attacked a city or something solo with him he would get put on his rear end and taken prisoner, but in terms of world perils he's pretty invincible.

luckily I have a ton of other guys, including one im trying to train up in Martial Arts:

Its not going well for him so far

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is this cruel? It might be cruel. I'm not sure yet.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

Is this cruel? It might be cruel. I'm not sure yet.

what mod is it to recruit gurglers?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

juggalo baby coffin posted:

what mod is it to recruit gurglers?

Not sure, I kicked the arms off that one, threw it over my shoulder and brought it home, slapped it in a cage and fed it a longfish.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Ruzihm posted:

you should be able to right click on yourself/your cage and pick lock

If your skill is too low, and your chance to pick the cage lock would be 0%, it doesn't let you.

For Snooch to get out, they'll need to up their lockpicking. You should be able to try picking those shackles by holding RMB on yourself and choosing it, even at 1 lockpicking you have a small chance to succeed. Quite possibly you'll succeed before you get your skill high enough to try the cage, in which case you can try picking other slaves' shackles, if you can get near them. If they've just left you in the cage and never bother coming to put you to work or anything, well, you might be SOL.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Achewater posted:

Alright, those guys who wanted that beak thing mod uploaded : it's done, and I added dialogue too.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1694574920

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gonna be knockin’ on this mod author’s door come prayer day, that’s for sure

Edit: I just found a functioning stripper pole mod on the steam workshop and it lets you sell tickets. What the gently caress

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Mar 27, 2019

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

Edit: I just found a functioning stripper pole mod on the steam workshop and it lets you sell tickets. What the gently caress

You scoff, but otoh

e: Browsing through this author's other mods, he seems to be trying to make a sex mod type thing with dongs and stuff. Because I'm surprised it took this long for someone to go do it. From the looks of his epic rideable horse mod, I expect great things from this michaelangelo of animation.

wit fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Mar 27, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

EmbryoSteve posted:

Just bought this game as it seems extremely my.jam.

What are newbie tips? I built a house in the hub and sprinted to a different town. Got that Hobbs dude. Mined some Cooper to buy some blades. I think I got a good handle on the whole choose your own adventure aspect but what are Good things to.know?

How do I make building materials? I want to make my own space
People have given you the best of the basic information already, so what I'm add to that is simply that when you go to a city that isn't Hub, you will occasionally see bandits attack the gate and be beaten like the red-headed stepchildren they are. What you can do is plunder their inventories and sell that stuff for a pretty reliable income. Be aware, however, that you should not plunder any dead gate guards where anyone can see you, because that's illegal and counts as stealing.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i bought a little dog in the middle of a raid on a holy nation mine, and he got his rear end kicked ( :( ), but when I rescued him he was unconscious and still had a bad guys severed leg in his mouth:

Achewater
Apr 20, 2016

Taintrunner posted:

So what I'm hearing is you want me to put the Baka Things on the stripper poles?

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED actually no that would probably get me struck by lightning.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Achewater posted:

So what I'm hearing is you want me to put the Baka Things on the stripper poles?

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED actually no that would probably get me struck by lightning.

Do it

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I agree with this guy. You should do it.

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 27, 2019

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
My contribution to the thread as my post apocalyptic ronin skills are lacking.

Amuys fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 27, 2019

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

any must have mods for a first playthrough?

finally got this

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i bought a little dog in the middle of a raid on a holy nation mine, and he got his rear end kicked ( :( ), but when I rescued him he was unconscious and still had a bad guys severed leg in his mouth:

dog good :shobon:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Amuys posted:

My contribution to the thread as my post apocalyptic ronin skills are lacking.

Brother! Care to join me for a Prayer Day?

E: Can someone make an alteration of that one image with the American soldier wiping blood on his face while America steals Iraq's oil, but instead its a paladin wiping oil on his face while an inquisitor kills skeletons in the background, with the above as a caption?

Leal fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 27, 2019

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
I also bought a pupper it's name is captain woof. It got its head bashed in a fight so now it is my sweet comatose purse dog that my main dude carries around. One day captain woof will wake up and be the best boy.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Hentai Jihadist posted:

any must have mods for a first playthrough?

finally got this
Half size texture mod.

https://www.nexusmods.com/kenshi/mods/113

zedprime fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 27, 2019

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Turpitude posted:

I also bought a pupper it's name is captain woof. It got its head bashed in a fight so now it is my sweet comatose purse dog that my main dude carries around. One day captain woof will wake up and be the best boy.

You can actually stick animals, or at least dogs, in beds. You have to have another character pick them up and put them in, and the animation is bit wonky but it works really well.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Carcer posted:

You can actually stick animals, or at least dogs, in beds. You have to have another character pick them up and put them in, and the animation is bit wonky but it works really well.

Or in walls

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Carcer posted:

I thought I tried that!! I will try again. Thx info

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Any tips for keeping the game from crashing if you try to setup a second outpost in another zone, my game keeps crashing now that I have 30 guys and wanted to build a bigger base in the High Bone Fields where I found a really good spot outside of Catun.

I might just load up what I can on some Garru and import this to a new game and try rebuilding, but I would like to keep my outpost in the UC northeast by Heng around.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
loving balls. I was going to make a Spotify playlist for Kenshi but the most Kenshi track of all is not on spotify.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTCp0kJYF30

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Jack2142 posted:

Any tips for keeping the game from crashing if you try to setup a second outpost in another zone, my game keeps crashing now that I have 30 guys and wanted to build a bigger base in the High Bone Fields where I found a really good spot outside of Catun.

I might just load up what I can on some Garru and import this to a new game and try rebuilding, but I would like to keep my outpost in the UC northeast by Heng around.

Not sure why setting up another base would make you crash. I have Like 4 bases and well over 30 guys running them and have never had a problem with that. And I am playing on an old laptop. Maybe a mod might be doing it.

Are there any big factions that aren't total douchebags? I was hoping UC wasn't so bad but they are just as bad as HN. UC was getting mad at me because I kept getting into it with the Slave Traders who are allied with them.
I just recent allied with the Crabbies but they small potatoes .
There are a few places I haven't been yet. Mostly in the SE.

I did find a great place for a base in the Crablands on a plateau with only 1 entrance.
Only had Reavers trying to break in so far.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

OgNar posted:

Not sure why setting up another base would make you crash. I have Like 4 bases and well over 30 guys running them and have never had a problem with that. And I am playing on an old laptop. Maybe a mod might be doing it.
Oh, I think I can answer that one. Hey, Jack1234, are you using the "quick switch" option in the gameplay menu? The one that says it'll make it faster to switch between squads or characters that are far apart? Are you also keeping characters in your old outpost?

If so, then that is the reason for your crashes. That option is hideously, hideously RAM expensive. It literally keeps the majority of all locations where you have characters in memory at all times. Obviously, this isn't exactly good for stability unless you have an ungodly amount of RAM and Kenshi has a tendency to crash at the drop of a hat whenever it runs out of memory.

Once I stopped using that option, my own game's stability went up by an order of magnitude. If you haven't already, I suggest trying the same.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Switching between bases a lot really stresses your RAM iirc, so if you just have a bunch you'll be fine, but if you quick switch a lot you'll have issues

e: Yeah what the guy above me said

For reference, I have the option enabled when I play on my laptop that I use when I travel for work and running VMware, and it has about 32 gigs of RAM; I have it disabled on my desktop, which only has 16.

Blade Runner fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 27, 2019

DONT DO IT
Jun 5, 2008

this level will be fun guys
So what you guys are saying is that the $200 I spent on 32 gb of RAM has a legitimate use? Hot drat!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I use VMs a lot and I'm considering actually upgrading past the 8GB I bought ten years ago when I build my rig, so hey.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

OgNar posted:

I do, on a game that's mostly vanilla (installed the reduced texture sizes after crashes started happening) on a PC set up to game + stream at the same time. I loving sail over the max requirements. Still crash. Kenshi is weird :shrug:

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone experienced a bug where guards endlessly pick up and drop an unconscious enemy?

It may be a mod conflict of some variety, but it's annoying, and I have yet to pinpoint the source.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
It's part of the jank tax you pay for playing a game that's so batshit crazy and expansive as kenshi is. Frankly, if kenshi didn't crash every now and then I'd be a little disappointed.

And probably get a lot less sleep, crashing is the games way of telling you to take a break.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
11.6 gb game somehow consumes over 16gb of ram apparently.

Kenshi is a technical masterpiece.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Is there supposed to be a way of knowing where bounties are located? The wanted posters are usually really vague.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

K8.0 posted:

11.6 gb game somehow consumes over 16gb of ram apparently.

Kenshi is a technical masterpiece.

TBh it's a miracle kenshi runs at all, afaik it was the guys first foray into making a game ever.

Relatedly, there's some interesting stuff happening in the mod community rn wrt state over-rides for towns. Some guy is taking them apart and finding that tons of them are bugged out and is fixing them to their intended state

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1688854241

If the dev hires even a decent handful of knowledgeable people for Kenshi 2, who knows what kind of actually functioning game we might get

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 27, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

There is a lot going on in this game and even when you restrict it to just slow switching, it's always simulating probably at least a square kilometer at a time, with everything that is in it and goes on it, even if you aren't there to see it.

I can run it stably on less than 8GB, so it's not like it has to eat all your mems, but it will if you let it.

Vakal posted:

Is there supposed to be a way of knowing where bounties are located? The wanted posters are usually really vague.
No, but you can just click a guy and it'll tell you if there's a price on his head. You don't even need to look at the posters, just click people in the bars at random. It's where they tend to hang out.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
The low clutter/reduced grass and stones mod is a must have. Make sure you have low texture mod installed. Also turn a lot of the graphics settings down (in particular all the draw distance stuff not related to PCs/NPCs)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I thought the Holy Nation were a bunch of assholes for the big slave camps, but then I met [insert any other faction here]