Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Volkerball posted:

They said Assad or we burn the country, let them enjoy the fruits of their labor.

Stay classy Volkerball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-us-golanheights-saudi/gulf-states-reject-u-s-recognition-of-golan-heights-as-israeli-idUSKCN1R709B

As you might imagine. The Gulf states aren't to pleased by the recognition of the Golan Heights as Israeli territory by Trump.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Volkerball posted:

They said Assad or we burn the country, let them enjoy the fruits of their labor.

Ah, so this is the kind of quality discourse that D&D is at risk of losing when posters like Volkerball stop feeling welcome.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Volkerball posted:

you mean your labours.. werent you american?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...SKCN1R71DR?il=0
Algeria update: The army appears to be stepping in.

General Ahmed Gaed Salah, Algeria’s army chief of staff, called for the constitutional council to declare President Abdel Aziz Bouteflika unfit for office.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Volkerball posted:

They got Assad and they also burned the country

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

OhFunny posted:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...SKCN1R71DR?il=0
Algeria update: The army appears to be stepping in.

General Ahmed Gaed Salah, Algeria’s army chief of staff, called for the constitutional council to declare President Abdel Aziz Bouteflika unfit for office.
Oh boy!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

the paradigm shift posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...df52_story.html

Don't really have much to add other than this all sounds bad for trying to rebuild a stable government.

lol I'm so happy they deserve what they get for fighting for nazism. lol get hosed nazi scum. they wanted their pig poo poo dictator they can have him, they deserve their fate for choosing fascism over their own countrymen for all I care. The half of syria exiled abroad will build a better life and a better future, while those scum get to sit in their shithole prison they fought so hard to keep.

I really hope the algerians learn the lessons of egypt and not trust their military, keep pushing until you get a free and fair election.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Al-Saqr posted:

lol I'm so happy they deserve what they get for fighting for nazism. lol get hosed nazi scum. they wanted their pig poo poo dictator they can have him, they deserve their fate for choosing fascism over their own countrymen for all I care. The half of syria exiled abroad will build a better life and a better future, while those scum get to sit in their shithole prison they fought so hard to keep.

I really hope the algerians learn the lessons of egypt and not trust their military, keep pushing until you get a free and fair election.

You opposition supporters are really the pettiest people. You lost to a guy who gasses children and tortures people because you failed to provide a viable alternative aside from some insane interpretation of Sharia.

The worst thing about this is that Assad and his cronies will not suffer, but the average Syrian will.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Al-Saqr posted:

:stare:

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
If you go back and read the old thread around late-2016 (fall of Aleppo) there are some absolutely golden Al-Saqr posts.

My personal favourite was when he essentially started blaming the YPG for the fall of Aleppo and the Regime’s heavy handedness.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Frond posted:

You opposition supporters are really the pettiest people. You lost to a guy who gasses children and tortures people because you failed to provide a viable alternative aside from some insane interpretation of Sharia.

Much like all those petty Jews who were too stupid and bad to provide a viable alternative to nazism amirite. Might makes right and there's 1,000 useful idiots like you for every one Ghiath Matar.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Wow this thread is really bad.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Helsing posted:

Read the old one. This is nothing lol.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Frond posted:

The worst thing about this is that Assad and his cronies will not suffer, but the average Syrian will.

Helsing posted:

love 2 tone police someone actually from the area who lives under a dictatorship

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Volkerball posted:

Much like all those petty Jews who were too stupid and bad to provide a viable alternative to nazism amirite.

I think it's more useful to blame the foreign jihadists for hijacking and destroying the hopes of the revolution by making it impossible to gain international support than to blame the Syrian people for their fate, but this is an extremely bad and lazy analogy.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 27, 2019

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Sinteres posted:

I think it's more useful to blame the foreign jihadists for hijacking and destroying the hopes of the revolution by making it impossible to gain international support than to blame the Syrian people for their fate, but this is an extremely bad and lazy analogy.

Pretty sure he's blaming the Assad loyalists not the broad "Syrian people".

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Grape posted:

yeah I was pointing and laughing at those fascists who thought that exiling and killing half their population and gassing children and murdering all the leftists and liberals and everyone who opposed their fascist god would benefit themselves. they fought for nazism and burned the country for their little hitler, let them eat dirt and ash. They purposefully murdered and tortured everybody who provided an alternative to protect their little poo poo dictator, and now they'll get the oppression and destitution they fought so hard to preserve. zero sympathy.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Grape posted:

I was agreeing with Volkerball that blaming the Syrian people for their fate under Assad is lovely since the failure of the revolution is a lot more complicated than just 'the Syrians decided they love ISIS and Al Qaeda,' but disagreeing with his bad analogy.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Grape posted:

love 2 tone police someone actually from the area who lives under a dictatorship

*US-backed absolute monarchy

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Do you think living under a US backed dictator makes it any better bagual

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Volkerball posted:

Much like all those petty Jews who were too stupid and bad to provide a viable alternative to nazism amirite. Might makes right and there's 1,000 useful idiots like you for every one Ghiath Matar.

Jesus christ you're an insane racist bloodthirsting weirdo and should never be allowed to post in any thread related to an ongoing conflict

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Squalid posted:

Do you think living under a US backed dictator makes it any better bagual

no, just being pedantic, as a third worlder it bugs me that all our authoritarian regimes get lumped together as "dictatorships"

and it's a loving King

edit: i also like to remind americans that their government is actively aiding the oppressors

bagual fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 27, 2019

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

420 Gank Mid posted:

Jesus christ you're an insane racist bloodthirsting weirdo and should never be allowed to post in any thread related to an ongoing conflict

Don't use progressive insults when you're attacking me from the right. The idea that Syrians have failed to overthrow their dictatorship because they are all just too terrorist to be allowed to have a say when it comes to their own basic human rights, is some Ben Shapiro, global war on terror bullshit. Straight up victim blaming.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sinteres posted:

Civil wars + time = brutality. That's always the result regardless of religion, ethnicity, etc, when it comes to brother against brother. You're putting the chicken before the egg. It was like a year after Assad started slaughtering protesters before Nusra became prominent. When the defectors didn't get support in the early going, it set the stage for the level of brutality we were going to see, because the revolution had the majority of the country, but the regime had the force and the allies.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

bagual posted:

*US-backed absolute monarchy

Not calling absolute monarchies what they are to own the ???.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Volkerball posted:

Don't use progressive insults when you're attacking me from the right. The idea that Syrians have failed to overthrow their dictatorship because they are all just too terrorist to be allowed to have a say when it comes to their own basic human rights, is some Ben Shapiro, global war on terror bullshit. Straight up victim blaming.

Way to make up a bunch of bullshit about me to sidestep the fact that you constantly post with throbbing erections about all the brown people that die in the 'just' wars you love so much.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

420 Gank Mid posted:

Way to make up a bunch of bullshit about me to sidestep the fact that you constantly post with throbbing erections about all the brown people that die in the 'just' wars you love so much.

You consistently go into every topic with 100% passion and maybe 3.4% knowledge or general awareness of what's going on.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Grape posted:

You consistently go into every topic with 100% passion and maybe 3.4% knowledge or general awareness of what's going on.

Ah yes, white americans telling me I know nothing about the middle east. Exactly what this tangent was missing

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

https://twitter.com/TheAirWar/status/1111047151654719490

https://twitter.com/alpererdem007/status/1111048303570026498

https://twitter.com/evacool_/status/1111024581425401856

Israel just bombed a bunch of Iranians in Syria :supaburn:

Toys For Ass Bum fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 28, 2019

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

420 Gank Mid posted:

Ah yes, white americans telling me I know nothing about the middle east. Exactly what this tangent was missing

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Oh man, I bet that poster bought themself the avatar that calls them a huge bitch! What an awesome burn

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Chill out, thread.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

420 Gank Mid posted:

Tbf there's nothing in your post history that suggests you do know anything. I'm sure you do, you just don't post anything but weird angry one liners. Share the knowledge friend, then the white Americans might learn a thing or two.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Squalid posted:

Tbf there's nothing in your post history that suggests you do know anything. I'm sure you do, you just don't post anything but weird angry one liners. Share the knowledge friend, then the white Americans might learn a thing or two.

You're the brain genius from the race science academy who kept derailing other threads with your hot takes about which ethnicities are real and which are made up.

I might be dumb but thank god I'm not that dumb.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/John_Hudson/status/1111004087745691655

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

The problems are bad, but the causes are good

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

420 Gank Mid posted:

You're the brain genius from the race science academy who kept derailing other threads with your hot takes about which ethnicities are real and which are made up.

I might be dumb but thank god I'm not that dumb.

It’s a trick question all ethnicities are made up.

This is debate and discussion. If discussion doesn’t interest you perhaps you’d prefer another forum, maybe e/n or ask tell ?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

So for those actually interested in the Middle East instead of these weird slapfights Yemen is being hit by another wave of cholera. The food situation has actually improved a bit over the last six months, as the Saudi coalition and Houthi reached an agreement that allowed food and supplies to enter the north through Hodeida. Unfortunately that's just barely kept people above absolute ruin, so lots of people are still starving to death or dying of preventable disease.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2019/mar/25/nearly-110000-suspected-cholera-cases-reported-in-yemen-since-january

quote:

Yemen is seeing a sharp spike in the number of suspected cholera cases this year, with 1,000 children a day infected in the last two weeks alone, agencies said.

More than 120,000 cases have been reported, with 234 deaths in the country, which has been at war for four years this month. Almost a third of the 124,493 cases documented between 1 January and 22 March were children under fifteen. Increasing rates of malnutrition among Yemen’s children have left them more prone to contracting and dying from the disease.

The UN’s Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs said the spike, which comes two years after Yemen suffered its worst ever cholera outbreak, was concentrated in six governorates, including in the Red Sea port of Hodeidah and the Sana’a province, which is home to the capital.

Early rains could be to blame for the recent increase in suspected cases of the disease, according to Unocha.

Four years of war and chaos and this is all there is to show for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Seems the powers that be are trying to usher Bouteflika out of office quickly in hopes of ending the protests

quote:

The army’s powerful chief of staff, Lieutenant General Ahmed Gaed Salah, told officers in a speech broadcast on Tuesday that the solution to the crisis would be the departure of the president on health grounds.

Salah called on Algeria’s constitutional council to rule whether Bouteflika was fit for office. Such a ruling would have to be ratified by a two-thirds majority of members in the two houses of parliament.

In the heaviest blow to the ailing leader, the ruling FLN party said it backed the army’s bid to have the constitutional council declare him unfit for office.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-algeria-protests/powerful-party-joins-algerian-army-calling-for-bouteflikas-exit-idUSKCN1R80K1