Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Zand posted:

https://killedbygoogle.com

Google has a habit of promising the world before abandoning the very things they said would be great

This is every tech company of sufficient size fwiw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbh its every tech company, some are just too small to get past the promise stage

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

dragon enthusiast posted:

what's going to happen is you're going to get a new fightgame IP where the assumption of 10f of input lag is built into the design considerations for the game

Isn't that how Weaponlord was developed? With the expectation that people would play via dialup internet.

What I'm saying is bring back Weaponlord.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Samsho looks dope

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
New Weaponlord would be an instant buy for me, but Samsho probably fill that gap close enough. My only experience with Weaponlord is seeing it in magazines and renting it one time and feeling like I had no idea how to do anything for the few days I had it but the graphics were cool.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
It's been a long time since I've played a SamSho game. Did they always have that much blood? I don't remember any blood at all in the older games.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

In 5s if you win with a counterhit your opponent splits in half and erupts into a fountain of blood that stains your character's clothes and body red

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Potsticker posted:

Isn't that how Weaponlord was developed? With the expectation that people would play via dialup internet.

Y'all should play Chaos Breaker

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

BattleTech posted:

It's been a long time since I've played a SamSho game. Did they always have that much blood? I don't remember any blood at all in the older games.

They did but it wasn't like an MK style thing where the whole game just has it happening constantly for no reason. Also the 16-bit console releases probably removed it all.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Brosnan posted:

Looking this up, apparently I do.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Brosnan posted:

I had no idea what this was until I looked it up and apparently I bought this forever ago on my PS3 except it's called "Dark Awake: The King Has No Name".

Me and my friends had an awesome time with it but I'm sure it horrifyingly broken with people who actually know what they are doing.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Brosnan posted:

Is there an easy way to do this now?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Potsticker posted:

Hell yes, I’d buy a new Weaponlord sight-unseen.

Wasn’t Weaponlord a big inspiration for Soul Edge/Soul Calibur’s weapon combat?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

BattleTech posted:

Samurai Shodown was always super bloody and you can cut off limbs in a couple of the later games too. SNK's games were quite bloody in general compared to most fighting games, just not Mortal Kombat levels and it was always cartoony enough that no one cared much. Plus by the time they were in the US the blood would often be removed for various releases. But even ones you wouldn't immediately expect like Real Bout FF or the first few King of Fighters games have quite a bit depending on the move being done.

But in Samurai Shodown you could cut people in half too it was just way more stylish looking. They even did sprites for decapitations and stuff as early as Samurai Shodown 3 but IIRC they only got used in 5 Special and then got censored out of every other version of that game. But 3 still had awesome little combos you could finish people off with where they'd fall over and their blood would spray out and cover the winning character's sprite. :black101:

Xenomrph posted:

Hell yes, I’d buy a new Weaponlord sight-unseen.

Wasn’t Weaponlord a big inspiration for Soul Edge/Soul Calibur’s weapon combat?

Absolutely, also note the name, "Weaponlord," Soul Edge has a mode (and in later games there's a character) called "Edge Master." :D

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
This looks interesting, and then I find out it got axed a year ago.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I used to play weaponlord with my neighbor, but we to have to swap out the cart when his mom was coming up because it was a Jesus household

That's my story thanks for reading

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Hobojim posted:

:(

Why do they always do this? Do they get paid by Sony/MS to not release it or does it just take a long time to make a PC port? I thought the Unreal engine was supposed to be really easy to port things with.

They're probably outsourcing those versions, just as they did for KOF & Heroines on PC/Switch.

Heroines ran like poo poo on Switch, by the way.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

This looks interesting, and then I find out it got axed a year ago.
I was mistaken, I know exactly why this got axed. It's really boring.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
FEXL's $20 https://store.steampowered.com/app/871200/FIGHTING_EX_LAYER/

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

If the game is supposed to be out for Evo then that's why the other two are pushed back.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
more great trends in gaming brought to you be street fighter v

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames
I haven't played samsho since I was a kid, is there a basic rundown of general playstyles for the returning characters in the new game?

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
https://twitter.com/NerdJosh/status/1110700668187074560

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Always relink this article because Weaponlord is a cool story about a project that was killed by its own ambition:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/forging-weaponlord/1100-6409025/

Ultimately it has a happy ending because Namco took inspiration and made Soul Edge, and James Goddard went on to make modern KI.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hey so is Battle for the Grid worth a purchase?

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
https://twitter.com/Dallas4Dallas/status/1110593456219414529?s=20

yes

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
battle for the grid launched with a bug that you can't block low if someone blockstrings you into it. it's amazing that they had multiple pros working on it and it launches in this state

Zand fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 27, 2019

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Put that game on EVO IMHO.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Zand posted:

battle for the grid launched with a bug that you can't block low if someone blockstrings you into it. it's amazing that they had multiple pros working on it and it launches in this state

it's like grd shield, but without the upside

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Zand posted:

A game where jumping HK crouching HK always combos... its beautiful

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Can't wait to see this poo poo in a tournament

Dias posted:

Put that game on EVO IMHO.

:same:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Real_shit.jpg

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
KU
SO
GE!

KU
SO
GE!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Zand posted:

The cynic in me says they knew about all this poo poo and let it slide because they figured it'd get more buzz that way.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
https://twitter.com/Lord_Jeyu/status/1111012698282774534

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
bbbut jwong said the game was gonna be cool

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

this game looked like dogshit from the start, how is anyone remotely surprised that there was no QA on these infinites

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The cynic in me says they knew about all this poo poo and let it slide because they figured it'd get more buzz that way.

think dumber. i'm betting it's like mvci and the in-crowd testers let it slide because they were planning to use it later on as tech

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Dummy (Purchasers)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

this game looked like dogshit from the start, how is anyone remotely surprised that there was no QA on these infinites

It's kinda surprising since cl0ckwork is the "lead battle designer" and he's seen/found a few infinites before in his career