Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Golgo13 posted:

I would like a level editor designed for Necrodancer, Enter the Gungeon or Darkest Dungeon that could enable people to design a well paced, challenging, story driven game with predetermined drops within the exact same games. Literally the exact same games but without the randomised roguelite side.

If the idie companies would make this a level editing system they won't even have to bother making it themselves.

Of course I have no idea how hard it would be to make a user friendly level editor to n these games.

You have far too much faith in the level design skills of random people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Andrast posted:

You have far too much faith in the level design skills of random people

Yeah imagine if they did this for Mario

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Foehammer posted:

Yeah it only had a vastly bigger playerbase and 99.99% of that poo poo was terrible.

Designing a well made satisfying campaign for something like Necrodancer is difficult and time consuming as gently caress.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Golgo13 posted:

I would like a level editor designed for Necrodancer, Enter the Gungeon or Darkest Dungeon that could enable people to design a well paced, challenging, story driven game with predetermined drops within the exact same games. Literally the exact same games but without the randomised roguelite side.

If the idie companies would make this a level editing system they won't even have to bother making it themselves.

Of course I have no idea how hard it would be to make a user friendly level editor to n these games.

Have you ever played Lufia II?

This is a baffling design choice, then.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Foehammer posted:

Are we comparing Nintendo to indie devs now?

Indies don't just gravitate to roguelikes, I'm sure they'd all love to do handcrafted levels. But the fact is they are up against AAA games with a ton of funding behind them, so the only way to appear as content rich as them is rogue whatever. It sucks, but c'est la vie.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/DodgeRollGames/status/1110905282207600640

This is an insane amount of free content.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

bushisms.txt posted:

Are we comparing Nintendo to indie devs now?

Indies don't just gravitate to roguelikes, I'm sure they'd all love to do handcrafted levels. But the fact is they are up against AAA games with a ton of funding behind them, so the only way to appear as content rich as them is rogue whatever. It sucks, but c'est la vie.

Besides that, a randomized structure is perfect for something like Necrodancer. The challenge is all about reacting to new thing in a limited amount of time since the basic mechanics require you to constantly keep the beat or get hosed. Since the enemy movement is predetermined, without the randomization the mechanics would make the game gravitate towards rote memorization instead of quick thinking.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

People remember Cloud as having Squall's personality, Tifa as having Selfie's, and Aeris as having Rinoa's.

Think this started when Kingdom Hearts 1 came out. Nomura in that merged Cloud with Vincent in it, as he had a lot of elemental of the later outfits now in his design along with his personality. Then they stuck with it afterwards.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The personality change would have made sense if they hadn't retconned the ending of FF7

Watching all of humanity go extinct from a spell you helped cast could really gently caress a person up

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

RandomFerret posted:

The personality change would have made sense if they hadn't retconned the ending of FF7

Watching all of humanity go extinct from a spell you helped cast could really gently caress a person up

The ending was ambiguous and I preferred it that way.
How did Red XIII have cubs, and wasn't it implied he could interbreed with humans, you know with Hojo unleashing him on Aeris and everything?

Rirse posted:

Think this started when Kingdom Hearts 1 came out. Nomura in that merged Cloud with Vincent in it, as he had a lot of elemental of the later outfits now in his design along with his personality. Then they stuck with it afterwards.

Yeah from what I've read of KH1 Vincent was originally supposed to be in the Coliseum and you meet Cloud in Traverse Town. But someone complained of there being too many FFVII characters in it so they stuck Squall in and removed Vincent and switched them around without doing much of a rewrite to reflect their characters because Nomura said that Cloud and Vincent "have similar personalities" :geno:

Eighties ZomCom fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 27, 2019

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I think Hojo was just smashing together whatever and seeing what stuck. He thought that Jenova was one of the Ancients, I wouldn't put it past him to say "Hey, this weird dog is from an ancient nearly-extinct race, maybe it's a Cetra too"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Every time I am interested in maybe getting a rogue like, people start posting about it and save me from myself

same but I am super duper buying the zelda dancer game

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

what are the main differences between nuclear throne and enter the gungeon. which one is more like binding of isaac, mostly

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

what are the main differences between nuclear throne and enter the gungeon. which one is more like binding of isaac, mostly

Gungeon is more like Isaac but if you want Isaac you should just play more Isaac

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

I grabbed Splatoon 2 after getting to level 7 during the demo week. I'm poo poo at aiming with a controller still, and motion controls really don't do it for me when trying to have some chill matches while lying in bed. But it's a ton of fun. Slowly improving.

Worst matchup was a level 56, 75, 42, and 35 vs my team: 6, 2, 2, 1. It was an inkbath. We had 12% control at the end.

Last night my squad for 4 games in a row were 3 high level Japanese players. (Assuming the all kana names are such) Tons of fun and booyahing all around.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Super No Vacancy posted:

NT............................Isaac........Gungeon
<fast>...........................................................................<slow>

Hi. Im Leeroy
Oct 8, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

Claude, Barry, Tiffany, Alice, etc.

Go on, please. Do this for the entire cast, tia.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Andrast posted:

Gungeon is more like Isaac but if you want Isaac you should just play more Isaac

i unlocked everything until the next pc dlc

American McGay posted:

NT............................Isaac........Gungeon
<fast>...........................................................................<slow>

ok cool thx

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

i unlocked everything until the next pc dlc

do it again

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

NT you can play for like 5 minutes and still have a good time. Gungeon seems to take a lot longer. Maybe I'm just better at it, though.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Andrast posted:

do it again

to game without hope of unlocks or cheevos is madness

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Super No Vacancy posted:

Neither. NT is a fairly fast-paced twin stick (with cover), Gungeon is a slow bullet hell with 360° aiming. Isaac, if I had to pin in down, is an action rpg with heavy inspiration from 2D zeldas.

E: fwiw I have hundreds of hours in Isaac and I think NT is a lot of fun and Gungeon just a slog.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

to game without hope of unlocks or cheevos is madness

If you haven't even gotten a 100 win streak as the lost have you really beaten Isaac?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Bloop posted:

same but I am super duper buying the zelda dancer game

Oh yeah me too I'm sure they'll trim out the worst parts

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Necrodancer owns and you should play it

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNpgKytPcc4

Time to kick some Nazi arsch again with Wolfenstein Youngblood, coming also to the Switch on July 26th.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Dude friggin shigeru miyamoto The Game Creator disagrees with your hot take on the game you haven't played yet, that's how impressively bad your opinion is on this matter

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Time to kick some Nazi arsch again with Wolfenstein Youngblood, coming also to the Switch on July 26th.

For Better or For Worse: Blazkowicz Edition

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

KingSlime posted:

Dude friggin shigeru miyamoto The Game Creator disagrees with your hot take on the game you haven't played yet, that's how impressively bad your opinion is on this matter

Yeah well he ruined paper Mario or something

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Having caught up on this thread I think people not comprehending of bags and the carrying of them is one of the most baffling things I’ve read

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Yeah well he ruined paper Mario or something

Necrodancer is literally just dpad inputs, you should try it. Also the music is kicking rad and can be played super loud and not be embarrassing.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How do you attack

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

You move towards the enemy and what ever weapon you have auto attacks. Each weapon has a different angle of attack and there's throwable ones as well. Super elegant, I'm a super noob at it, but you can clear the first level with like 10 minutes of play, unlike something like gungeon which requires hours of muscle memory and luck to beat the bullet hell bosses. Necrodancer is about the player and the rhythm, at least in the early stages you don't need a lucky run of loot to succeed.

Anyone else can explain it better though.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

bushisms.txt posted:

You move towards the enemy and what ever weapon you have auto attacks. Each weapon has a different angle of attack and there's throwable ones as well. Super elegant, I'm a super noob at it, but you can clear the first level with like 10 minutes of play, unlike something like gungeon which requires hours of muscle memory and luck to beat the bullet hell bosses. Necrodancer is about the player and the rhythm, at least in the early stages you don't need a lucky run of loot to succeed.

Anyone else can explain it better though.

If you are really good at Necrodancer you can definitely beat it 100% the time. No luck required.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

tinkerballz posted:

Go on, please. Do this for the entire cast, tia.

It gets harder with the rest of the characters. Vincent... is already a regular name.

Yuffie... the best I could come up with was Julie.

Red XIII... Brett? Redd is already a name, but kind of a let down.

Cait Sith... Kate Smith?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Pilotwings 64 when?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Detective No. 27 posted:

It gets harder with the rest of the characters. Vincent... is already a regular name.

Yuffie... the best I could come up with was Julie.

Red XIII... Brett? Redd is already a name, but kind of a let down.

Cait Sith... Kate Smith?

Vinnie
Buffy
Panzer(name him after the best dog)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Red XIII is a lion, not a dog. Name him Mufasa or GTFO.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Holy poo poo, this trailer just made me want to play all the Wolfesteins just to be ready for Youngblood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The best and only set of character names for every game that allows it is:

you jerk

my rear end

a dick

your mom