Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
stop watching adoredtv paul

like seriously, what the gently caress is that post?

thread: a-
paul: *comes crashing in through the window* ZEN2 WILL NOT HIT 5.1GHz

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
yeah, I know, that poo poo rots your brain, of all the places on the internet this is probably the place that takes him least seriously, it just drives me nuts

it is curious how the "leaks" of zen2 clocks happen to exactly match coffee lake clocks, I wonder if youtubers think zen2 can break 5.4 ghz now that toms said a thing

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 27, 2019

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

TheFluff posted:

stop watching adoredtv paul

like seriously, what the gently caress is that post?

thread: a-
paul: *comes crashing in through the window* ZEN2 WILL NOT HIT 5.1GHz

Hey you're right, let's get back to talking about pci-e power conditioners.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
on topic

I've heard that power strips degrade in their ability to arrest surges over time... I've had older strips that probably didn't trip (that PC died in a probable lightning storm even though it was on a (cheap) strip).

Most of my important gear is on a couple nice perfect-sinewave UPS, is that not safe / is there an arrester strip that I can buy and rely on to not poo poo out in 3 years? If so I don't mind spending $100 on a power strip like that but not sure if that's snake oil.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 27, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

^^^even the best power strip isn't rated to handle a lightning strike. You're dependant on your lightning rods diverting it away from your house at that point.

originalnickname posted:

Hey you're right, let's get back to talking about pci-e power conditioners.

Maybe they only hit 5+ GHz if you wire capacitors to each of the CPU pins.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 27, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Quote is not edit.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
yeah makes sense, I'm not laying in big copper grounds as big as my finger, so there's nowhere for a lightning strike to go. It's just that nothing blew up except the stuff on that one old strip :effort:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 27, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I mean, they do loose effectiveness over time, and I think distant lightning can cause the kind of surges they protect against, but I don't think I've ever had a thing die from a power surge so I don't even bother anymore.

You can get higher-end surge protectors that tell you when they don't protect anymore if you want, I think Wirecutter has a rundown.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

The one time I had stuff fry the entire house shook and I was seeing spots for several minutes from the flash. It came in over the coaxial into the modem and out over the network. Every single NIC was worthless, the Cat5e still works 5 years later and we didn't bother rerunning it since it was working. All the hardware is still working too. Just slapped some PCIe NICs into the computers and set game consoles to wireless.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
is there any merit in making my computers not the path of least resistance on ordinary surges, or is that something a decent UPS handles fine?

like again, if it's $100 for a surge protector I'll never need to worry about then fine, that's worth it, but if not then w/e.

and yes you need to watch your cable drop, a lot of high-end UPSs/surge protectors will protect coax, my parents seriously used to have a cable that was the highest point and we'd get fried multiple times a year until the cable company grounded it properly

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I have an APC SurgeArrest Essential (PM6U model, but in Europe, not sure if it's the same in USA) which is supposed to be one-use only: if it gets hosed up by lightning it will just stop working completely and you'll have to buy another, so you're safe in knowing that it works. It also has a malfunction LED to see if anything's wrong with the strip.

Considered I paid 15€ for it on sale (it's 30€ normally), I'd rather replace it in case of disaster than have it protect me once, forget about changing it, and getting screwed by the next lightning frying up to 2000€ of electronics. (though our local grid is fairly modern and works nicely, I do remember some greyouts and surges from when I was a little kid 30 years ago, but today it's exceedingly rare)

I have no idea if there are any comparable UPSs though, my work computer is a laptop so I definitely don't need a battery backup for it :v:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 27, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

When I went looking into it a few months ago I couldn't find any hard information on the danger posed by ordinary surges, just a bunch of rote recommendations to use surge protectors, so :shrug:

If anyone does have better info I'd be very interested as well.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Most of the UPS's you see these days are going to be passing through line power when its normal and cannot react fast enough to a lightning strike influx. They all have some manner of surge arrestment from my experience similar to what you get in your power strip, but since its a built in part you're probably better chaining a second strip that you trust off the back of it (or in front of the UPS might make more sense now that I think about it)

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Decent UPSes show when it's time to replace them. The engineers I hear from say that there's only so much you can do when it comes to a lightning strike, and the worst thing you can do is get a surge protector with a false sense of security.

Surge protectors etc seem a lot like soft bicycle helmets; they're meant to eat the brunt of the blow and break to keep your computer from taking damage. Still important to use them, just don't take it to mean you can get away with whatever.

The Wirecutter had some recommendations, but they're pretty garbage at factoring in long-term stability.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
No one wants these insane text dumps you do fighting weird straw men.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

pixaal posted:

The one time I had stuff fry the entire house shook and I was seeing spots for several minutes from the flash. It came in over the coaxial into the modem and out over the network. Every single NIC was worthless, the Cat5e still works 5 years later and we didn't bother rerunning it since it was working. All the hardware is still working too. Just slapped some PCIe NICs into the computers and set game consoles to wireless.

I had something similar happen. A lightning strike came through the coaxial line upstairs and took out the cable modem, the PSU and the onboard NIC. Popped in a new Intel PCIe NIC (which turned out to be far superior to the onboard Realtek NIC) and a new PSU and kept on trucking. Everything else still worked.

Come to think of it, I really need to get a UPS. :ohdear:

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Most of the UPS's you see these days are going to be passing through line power when its normal and cannot react fast enough to a lightning strike influx. They all have some manner of surge arrestment from my experience similar to what you get in your power strip, but since its a built in part you're probably better chaining a second strip that you trust off the back of it (or in front of the UPS might make more sense now that I think about it)

Yeah - the CyberPower 1000VA UPS that I use had lots of warnings in the reviews about how the surge protection functionality is a joke and you should plug the UPS itself into a dedicated surge protector if you give a poo poo. I ended up buying this Tripp-Lite unit since it seems to be generally well regarded.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

There's a big difference between a surge of the type you'd possibly see when the power comes back on after an outage, and a sudden spike from a lightning strike. Surge protectors are designed to mitigate the former, not the latter.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Too bad double conversion UPSes aren't more of a thing on the prosumer level.

Eletriarnation posted:

CyberPower 1000VA UPS
Yea, but the true sine... Trade offs I guess.

--edit: Either way, an UPS can be useful. My 1500VA CyberPower one counted 21 events over the last nine months I owned it.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 28, 2019

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I bought a UPS in college after the dorm wiring killed my third PSU and it was a champ for 10+ years until new batteries wouldn't stop it from alarming anymore.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

There's a big difference between a surge of the type you'd possibly see when the power comes back on after an outage, and a sudden spike from a lightning strike. Surge protectors are designed to mitigate the former, not the latter.

It's the opposite.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Munkeymon posted:

I bought a UPS in college after the dorm wiring killed my third PSU and it was a champ for 10+ years until new batteries wouldn't stop it from alarming anymore.

A good UPS and a good power supply are the best things you can buy to extend the life of your components.

A good UPS will last through multiple builds and if it prevents one component from burning out it paid itself off.

Xae fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 28, 2019

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

taqueso posted:

It's the opposite.

https://electronics.howstuffworks.com/gadgets/home/surge-protector.htm

quote:

The most familiar source is probably lightning, though it's actually one of the least common causes. When lightning strikes near a power line, whether it's underground, in a building or running along poles, the electrical energy can boost electrical pressure by millions of volts. This causes an extremely large power surge that will overpower almost any surge protector. In a lightning storm, you should never rely on your surge protector to save your computer. The best protection is to unplug your computer.

quote:

On the other end you have systems costing hundreds or even thousands of dollars, which will protect against pretty much everything short of lightning striking nearby.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varistor#Composition,_properties,_and_operation_of_the_metal-oxide_varistor

quote:

While a MOV is designed to conduct significant power for very short durations (about 8 to 20 microseconds), such as caused by lightning strikes...

A MOV isn't going to protect anything below a couple hundred volts, which is what I original read your OP as saying they would protect against, but clearly you just meant lower energy surges than lightning.

And of course nothing will protect your stuff if somehow the lightning hits it directly.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

My dad had a near lightning strike that fried some fuses and damaged equipment even though he had the entire house turned off at the main breaker. It simply arced across the gap. :stare:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
My great-grandfather nailed a copper wire in a tree and tied the other end around a metal beam on my grandparents house so he could dry out grape leaves.

Lightning, of course, hit the tree. It traveled over the wire and caused the AC machine in the attic to explode in a fireball.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

OhFunny posted:

My great-grandfather nailed a copper wire in a tree and tied the other end around a metal beam on my grandparents house so he could dry out grape leaves.

Lightning, of course, hit the tree. It traveled over the wire and caused the AC machine in the attic to explode in a fireball.

How'd the grape leaves turn out though?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

isndl posted:

How'd the grape leaves turn out though?

shockingly good!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
boo this man. boo!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

My dad had a near lightning strike that fried some fuses and damaged equipment even though he had the entire house turned off at the main breaker. It simply arced across the gap. :stare:

yeah that's why I realized why even a fancy specialty powerstrip probably wouldn't work, if that kind of voltage can arcover a purpose-built utility substation interrupter then what chance does a power strip (even purpose-built) have against a 300kV-3MV lightning strike. This is something like a 50-500 kV disconnect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMbN9nb3qyk

I mean a lightning bolt isn't continuous but that presents a whole separate set of challenges, you can't quench the arc fast enough to actually cut it off in time to prevent damage, and lol if you think a half inch breaker or whatever is going to be enough isolation when that's the arc that forms. Even if you had a fancy pneumatic breaker that blew the arc out it would still probably not be fast enough to save your PC.

That said you're still stupid not to at least have a basic UPS or something on the equipment, yeah if it protects one decent line surge in 10 years you've probably made your money back.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Mar 30, 2019

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Cooler recommendations for a Ryzen 2700x? For the past five months I've just been using the Wraithprism heatsink that came with the chip, but it's running hotter than I'd like it to on some games with a modest OC of 4.15ghz. This is for an ATX case with plenty of room so I don't think space will be an issue.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
The standard answer is usually the NH-D15S (remember to get the version with the included AM4 mount kit).

ufarn
May 30, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Cooler recommendations for a Ryzen 2700x? For the past five months I've just been using the Wraithprism heatsink that came with the chip, but it's running hotter than I'd like it to on some games with a modest OC of 4.15ghz. This is for an ATX case with plenty of room so I don't think space will be an issue.
Noctua just announced a 120mm heatsink they claim has parity with a D15, a 140mm counterpart that's monstrously huge.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Wonder if it has parity at the same noise level.

eames
May 9, 2009

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

There was a youtube user review with graphs (temp vs noise) floating around last week, I can't seem to find it. It showed sweet spot in the mid range where the U12A was close but still a few degrees behind the D15(S).
The D15(S) was more efficient at very low and very high fan speeds. U12A temps didn't seem to go down past a certain point, it just got louder. We'll see what the real tests have to say.

e: found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAE6Wce9Pa8&t=200s

they are very close at 34db

eames fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 30, 2019

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I like the be quiet dark Rock pro 4, here, I'm linking the non pro version. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA68V6Y56870

Also, 4.15 OC? Do you get noticable performance over letting the system run stock? My 2600x will push a couple cores to 4.25 on its own.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Gonna chime in some praise on the Dark Rock Pro 4, mine is cooling a 8086K (at one point at 5ghz) and it is pretty quiet

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

cooling is one of those situations where there's just no replacement for displacement, I think the U12S was slightly behind in noise and temps with two fans (vs the D15S's one fan) and they are also the new Noctua wunderfans versus the boring old and inferior Noctua wunderfan on the D15S.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Paul MaudDib posted:

cooling is one of those situations where there's just no replacement for displacement, I think the U12S was slightly behind in noise and temps with two fans (vs the D15S's one fan) and they are also the new Noctua wunderfans versus the boring old and inferior Noctua wunderfan on the D15S.

Yeah, it's actually important to note the new fan, which is simply better in every way.
I have to try to forget about its existence, because I already have a case full of older Noctuas, which are just begging to be changed out for the new hotness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah, it's actually important to note the new fan, which is simply better in every way.
I have to try to forget about its existence, because I already have a case full of older Noctuas, which are just begging to be changed out for the new hotness

Only 8 fans at $30 per fan... :kheldragar:

it's OK I am an idiot who bought a 280 GB Optane 900P for ~$200 because they were on sale, despite them posing no real advantage over a NVMe for the most part. But it makes my Battlefields load 0.01 seconds faster :jeb: