Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Why did you all think Tifa dresses like Woody in the Nibelheim flashbacks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Detective No. 27 posted:

This week's episode of Retronauts is their second part of their FF7 retrospective. Jeremy had this amazing revelation. Cloud and Buzz Lightyear have the same story arc.

Who's the Toy Story equivalent for Zack?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ariza posted:

https://www.game-debate.com/news/26819/square-enix-adds-always-online-drm-requirement-to-final-fantasy-x-and-x-2-3-years-after-launch

I know they make really dumb choices as a company, but why this? Are they still misunderstanding the PC market?

I can confirm (not because I doubted it but just because I'm that sort of person). Put Steam in Offline mode, the X/X-2 launcher will load up but selecting any game just closes the program. No "needs online" notice, no sign anything's gone wrong, it just closes the launcher and doesn't open anything else up. I'm not sure whether Offline Mode refuses to connect to the internet or just doesn't force a connection, as long as it's up FFX/X-2 won't work regardless of whether I'm actually plugged into the net.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ventana posted:

Who's the Toy Story equivalent for Zack?

Rocket Crocket.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Detective No. 27 posted:

Rocket Crocket.

Man, I was just gonna say that Zack was the Buzz from that continuity, but then you came in and went for an even deeper cut.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
This final dungeon FFXV is poo poo. Why is there so many loving bosses who do instant kill damage to you? And no way to leave to level up or buy more items?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i cant believe ff15 is finally out of early access. if any game in the main series has tarnished the brand more than this one i would be shocked.

does dissidia nt have dedicated servers on ps4? i saw this review for the steam version which is hilarious:

But as everyone says, there is NO dedicated server for online matches, there is NO region lock on matchmaking, everything functions via unrestricted peer to peer.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Pretty sure "tarnishing the brand" would require FFXV to be widely hated

It's not.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What level should I be anyway? I made a save before fighting Ifrit, but Noctis was level 41 at the time. Dunno why they give you XP in those fights if you can't rest to use them.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Rirse posted:

What level should I be anyway? I made a save before fighting Ifrit, but Noctis was level 41 at the time. Dunno why they give you XP in those fights if you can't rest to use them.

I cheesed some levels (went from 55 to 99) for a couple hours. Totally worth it imo.
Make "experiacast" spells with as close to 99 power that you can manage, eat the 100% exp bonus meal, get/equip moogle charms, blast some easy/quickly repeatable bounties with said spell.
Wait till you've got ~300k exp (more is always better), rest in the 3.0x multiplier hotel.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

I went to see Distant Worlds for the first time in Milan over the weekend. Before we went in, me and my wife listed the songs we hoped they'd play, having no idea what was on the setlist:

Terra's Theme
You Are Not Alone
Cosmo Canyon
Big Bridge

They played them all and it was good. I cried at the Prelude. I cried at Aerix' theme. I cried at Zanarkand.

:five: and will go to see it again.

I want them to have an electric guitar for Cosmo Canyon and You Are Not Alone and honestly for Big Bridge too, and not just cause it'd be rad.

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012

Rirse posted:

No idea with the changes but that's about the level I finished the original game at. Used to be that just before Ifrit was a small tunnel that led to a tiny room you could rest in and call your dog to you so you could travel to the two other sections of the game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Relin posted:

i cant believe ff15 is finally out of early access. if any game in the main series has tarnished the brand more than this one i would be shocked.

does dissidia nt have dedicated servers on ps4? i saw this review for the steam version which is hilarious:

But as everyone says, there is NO dedicated server for online matches, there is NO region lock on matchmaking, everything functions via unrestricted peer to peer.

Dedicated servers don't make sense for six people total

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Chaeden posted:

No idea with the changes but that's about the level I finished the original game at. Used to be that just before Ifrit was a small tunnel that led to a tiny room you could rest in and call your dog to you so you could travel to the two other sections of the game.

I don’t see that and instead have to fight three knights who one hit knocks you into danger.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Dedicated servers don't make sense for six people total

It can still occasionally lead to some choppy gameplay. Some characters get it worse than others, I was telling a friend of mine that Cloud of Darkness gets REALLY inconsistent online because lag seems to tank her attack animations somehow.

It's still a cry of 'fix it' from people who have no idea what they're actually asking for, especially for a niche game. Could they do better? Yes! Do you have the solurion? No! In fact it'd probably make it worse, because if you can't connect well to a dedicated server location you can't do online AT ALL, not just sometimes. And even if you can, being able to play online could be totally lost further down the track even if there are still players, because if they shut down the server then that's it, it's gone.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 27, 2019

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Cleretic posted:

It can still occasionally lead to some choppy gameplay. Some characters get it worse than others, I was telling a friend of mine that Cloud of Darkness gets REALLY inconsistent online because lag seems to tank her attack animations somehow.

It's still a cry of 'fix it' from people who have no idea what they're actually asking for, especially for a niche game. Could they do better? Yes! Do you have the solurion? No! In fact it'd probably make it worse, because if you can't connect well to a dedicated server location you can't do online AT ALL, not just sometimes. And even if you can, being able to play online could be totally lost further down the track even if there are still players, because if they shut down the server then that's it, it's gone.

Yeah. I've had problems with CoD whiffing attacks on a standing opponent at times online. Like, not moving, not even blocking, I'd sometimes jam her attacks and just watch them pass just to the right or left of the opponent. Other characters seem to get hit with this pretty bad too (Yuna seems pretty guilty of this, especially with her starter HP attack Holy and Valefor's Energy Ray. )

Still, there's 0 chance the game's ever going to get dedicated servers, but I'm getting good games way more often then I'm getting bad ones now, so there's that. The bigger problem I'm running into is that the game grinds to a hault when someone DCs, which is starting to become more and more common when a team starts going a life or two down. I feel like one out of four matches just kinda breaks down at some point because someone on a team ragequits because they/one of their teammates look like they're just feeding kills. (If two people are on one guy and he's not holding up well enough for you to do the same to the other team's loner... HELP THEM)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I've been thinking about giving ff7 another try and maybe finish it if my savedoesnt explode this time but then I remember I'd have to do midgar zolom again and the cpr minigame and I come to a few minutes later a gun in my mouth and my hand shaking

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

FFXV has been as finished as it was ever gonna be for a while. Before things went even more to poo poo support had shifted to weird MP content expansions and a DLC campaign that was pretty explicitly fanservice. The party character episodes were filling in intentional gaps in the story, but the second set felt very much like a reaction to how much people liked the ending specifically, with Ignis' alternate scenarios testing the waters.

Motto fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 27, 2019

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i wouldve traded episode gladio for aranea or lunafreya though

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Super No Vacancy posted:

i wouldve traded episode gladio for aranea or lunafreya though

Agreed. As much as I like Gladio for his actual combat (though not the most interesting) his story is... really dull.

You can tell that Ignis and Ardyn were done by someone else (Episode Gladio and Prompto were done by Kenichi Shida, where Ignis and Ardyn were done by Takefumi Terada) And it's really obvious where they differed on design ideas, because both Ignis and Ardyn introduce the whole "Alternate Ending" concept, Even though the Ardyn one essentially is the same ending with motivation changing, which is very Role playing so it would have been interesting to me to see where the DLC's were going... but I guess it wasn't seen as "Enough of a financial gain." Or who knows?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I've been thinking about giving ff7 another try and maybe finish it if my savedoesnt explode this time but then I remember I'd have to do midgar zolom again and the cpr minigame and I come to a few minutes later a gun in my mouth and my hand shaking

You can literally just run across the marsh and not get caught by the Zolom if you time it right. Or you can run half way, save your game, reload and it'll be in a different place.

No way around the CPR minigame though :(

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
https://steamcommunity.com/games/359870/announcements/detail/1717468247152498700

The Always Online thingy for FFX/X-2 has been removed now.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm surprised they didn't drag their feet a few weeks to do it.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I played FF7 again like a year and a half ago and I don't even remember the CPR mini game so it can't be that hard.

FF8 update: still not super far into disc 2 but it's good times other than Laguna sections and the whole dpad thing. Enc-none rules and I love being able to just go where I want uninterrupted.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
If you've had a friend who's never played a final fantasy game, which one would you have them play? Gut instinct for me is 9, basically something that isn't too complicated and also wouldn't make you miserable?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

6 probably, if only for a snappier pace and SNES graphics being more approachable than PS1.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
9 drove me crazy with pacing issues and the characters. Load times probably aren't bad in any modern source for the game, but them alone on PSX could kill drive to play it.

If they like retro games, I'd say 4 or 6. Maybe 7.

I don't know if I could pick one since they're all so different, actually. Just throw some of the good ones at him and see what sticks.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Yeah probably 4 or 6 for retro, and maybe 10 for something a bit more recent? It's pretty easy going

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Starting with 9 isn't the worst idea, but it just seems like such a waste since so much of the game's general atmosphere is designed around being a huge nostalgia fest.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
that just gives you an excuse to play it again if you end up liking the series!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I had been vaguely familiar with 7 and 8, but 9 was the one that I first put serious time into and made me fall in love with the series. It's not the worst idea if they can get past how slow it is.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
10 is probably the most universally liked and decently modern compared to the entries before it so it's likely the "safest" pick.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 27, 2019

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

MarsDragon posted:

Translated Famitsu developer interview about FF8: http://shmuplations.com/ff8/

What I really want to know is who came up with the Card Mod and magic refine systems because that poo poo is absolutely bonkers and breaks the game in so many ways

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

WaltherFeng posted:

What I really want to know is who came up with the Card Mod and magic refine systems because that poo poo is absolutely bonkers and breaks the game in so many ways
Yeah it'd be neat to hear the story. I've mentioned before, refine seems like a late addition that never got a balance pass. Without refine, the level and magic system has a semblance of balance with how the best magic is only available from higher level monsters so leveling actually would have had a point.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

seiferguy posted:

If you've had a friend who's never played a final fantasy game, which one would you have them play? Gut instinct for me is 9, basically something that isn't too complicated and also wouldn't make you miserable?

it depends on what they like. if they've never played a turn-based RPG before, then XV might be a better option. my favourite is IX, but really it comes down to personal taste.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

zedprime posted:

Yeah it'd be neat to hear the story. I've mentioned before, refine seems like a late addition that never got a balance pass. Without refine, the level and magic system has a semblance of balance with how the best magic is only available from higher level monsters so leveling actually would have had a point.

it would have been fine if they had, say, not given you 20 curagas from one tent, which you can buy at any store for practically nothing, and the GF that gives you the ability you need is like the first one you're going to pick up after the tutorial.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
If someone had never played a Final Fantasy before and asked for my recommendation, I would probably tell them to play Chrono Trigger. 6 is my absolute favorite but I think that CT holds up a bit better.

If they don't want something from the 16 bit era it's harder to recommend something solid but I would probably go with 7 (with a few caveats) or Lost Odyssey.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I would tell them to start with 1 because it's confusing to start in the middle of a series.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

seiferguy posted:

Chrono Trigger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I agree with either Chrono Trigger or Secret of Mana