Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobert
May 21, 2007
Come On!
College Slice

baka kaba posted:

Yeah same situation, the thread view was being recreated there too, except people wouldn't notice the scroll being reset because the whole redisplay bit was screwing up! Still don't know what triggered that recreation behaviour for everyone. But at least we know it's something to do with that, anyways

Is this happening on every page for you? Or only pages with embeds like videos? Does it matter if the page is fully loaded? There are some Application Not Responding reports for a G5+ that are related to a media player, it's possible that locking the phone while the app is open prevents it from going to the background cleanly, and then when it throws up an ANR the system is all "right then, END NOW" and that's why it restarts. Are you seeing the Awful splash screen too?

I did a limited test on this page (139) and the previous page (138). After scrolling to the bottom post, locking and unlocking would reload the page too the top post. I didn't see the splash screen, but did occasionally see the blue "page loading" progress bar across the top.

Any settings related to the media player I could mess with? Like disabling various embeds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

If you're not seeing the splash screen (I assume it's always visible for a moment at least even on a fast phone) then the app isn't restarting, so it won't be a crash/not responding issue, so it's probably not that

I doubt there's anything you can do, it's probably something triggering a reload of the page contents from the cache, which basically redisplays everything and scrolls the view to the top. There was a change to how the "here's some new data" Loaders work in Android recently, which caused us a lot of problems like this - we managed to get a fix to stop the whole thing reloading unnecessarily, but there still might be something messing with the scroll. But it's just weird if it only happens when you lock with the app in the foreground, and not if you switch away and then lock for the same amount of time - that's pretty inconsistent! Maybe the webview is doing something silly that we have no control over

But that fix I mentioned, about stopping the page from redisplaying when the app comes back into the foreground - that only works if the page content hasn't changed. So any new posts, edits, even custom title changes or whatever, those will redisplay the page contents. And like I said, we don't have a reliable way to get and restore the scroll position yet, so we don't :frogbon:

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Why does marking a post last read frequently take so long? Is it on the forum end? I don't recall it taking long on the site.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

It's just a basic request, the popup is the site responding - it's an SA Last Read feature, right? Maybe that just tells you it's done immediately and handles it in the background?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

baka kaba posted:

It's just a basic request, the popup is the site responding - it's an SA Last Read feature, right? Maybe that just tells you it's done immediately and handles it in the background?

Because the app authors probably don't want you relying on a premature claim of 'it's done' when it may glitch out and not even add the bookmark.

It's almost like the delay has a purpose.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I admire your optimism!

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
I just redid my phone and I would swear that the font on the bookmarks page used to be smaller. Am I missing something?

Jobert
May 21, 2007
Come On!
College Slice

baka kaba posted:

If you're not seeing the splash screen (I assume it's always visible for a moment at least even on a fast phone) then the app isn't restarting, so it won't be a crash/not responding issue, so it's probably not that

I doubt there's anything you can do, it's probably something triggering a reload of the page contents from the cache, which basically redisplays everything and scrolls the view to the top. There was a change to how the "here's some new data" Loaders work in Android recently, which caused us a lot of problems like this - we managed to get a fix to stop the whole thing reloading unnecessarily, but there still might be something messing with the scroll. But it's just weird if it only happens when you lock with the app in the foreground, and not if you switch away and then lock for the same amount of time - that's pretty inconsistent! Maybe the webview is doing something silly that we have no control over

But that fix I mentioned, about stopping the page from redisplaying when the app comes back into the foreground - that only works if the page content hasn't changed. So any new posts, edits, even custom title changes or whatever, those will redisplay the page contents. And like I said, we don't have a reliable way to get and restore the scroll position yet, so we don't :frogbon:

Thanks for digging into this a bit. I stumbled across something that seems to fix the issue. If I disable "One Button Nav" in my Moto app, I can lock and unlock the screen all day and not lose my place in the thread.

I tried toggling "Immersive Mode" on and off in the Awful settings, but didn't impact the behavior. Any other settings I could mess around with? The one button nav is a nice feature I want to keep.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Honestly if it's some custom OEM feature triggering it, there's not really a lot we can do about that without a device to investigate it on. The app's having to rebuild itself to some degree, for some reason, and unfortunately at the moment keeping your place isn't one of the things it does when that happens. I mean ideally we'll be able to sort that out at some point, but you shouldn't run into it too much anyway - unless you're using this feature apparently! And yeah, I know how annoying it is, I saw it when it was happening every time you clicked a link or whatever

Out of interest, does it happen if you lock the screen, go into airplane mode (so there's no internet) and then go back to the app? I'm just wondering if it's only hitting the cache or if it's actually reloading from the site

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I just redid my phone and I would swear that the font on the bookmarks page used to be smaller. Am I missing something?

It's linked to the system text size, so if that's bigger the app text will be too

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

baka kaba posted:

Honestly if it's some custom OEM feature triggering it, there's not really a lot we can do about that without a device to investigate it on. The app's having to rebuild itself to some degree, for some reason, and unfortunately at the moment keeping your place isn't one of the things it does when that happens. I mean ideally we'll be able to sort that out at some point, but you shouldn't run into it too much anyway - unless you're using this feature apparently! And yeah, I know how annoying it is, I saw it when it was happening every time you clicked a link or whatever

Out of interest, does it happen if you lock the screen, go into airplane mode (so there's no internet) and then go back to the app? I'm just wondering if it's only hitting the cache or if it's actually reloading from the site

It's linked to the system text size, so if that's bigger the app text will be too

I'm on a stock Pixel 2 and have the thread lose my place when unlocking my screen.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Nth Doctor posted:

I'm on a stock Pixel 2 and have the thread lose my place when unlocking my screen.

every time?

if it's after say 10 minutes it could be the page updating

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

baka kaba posted:

every time?

if it's after say 10 minutes it could be the page updating

Ah, not every time. Sorry about that

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I have a Moto G5+ with the one button navigation thing enabled as well and haven't been able to trigger it into doing it for almost a week now. I really wanted to collect relevant circumstances, but that's hard with it not happening all that often for me.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Well thanks for trying anyway! If it happens reliably for one person (and switching it off fixes it) but not for another, it could be a side effect of something else, who knows :iiaa:

Like I said it's ultimately something that would be fixed by being able to reliably track and restore the scroll position, so when that gets done it should be better at least. Or we could rip out the entire backend for more control over the page updating, but that's a big project

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Is there any way to add the donation banners (RE: in desktop view I got "Soiled Meat") to be viewable when you tap a user's name? I need to judge people from my phone.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Looking at the source that one might be possible - we'd need to work out where to stick it in the layout

In general though all the extra stuff in the custom title section is a bit of a mess, it's hard to identify things and it can pretty inconsistent. Like gang tags, they can be in different locations and it's hard to know if you've got them all or not. We can look into it anyways

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The custom plat icons I assume would also be a pain?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Ew they're done in CSS, in a separate file. Yeah that's... not trivial

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I’ve somewhat seriously considered writing a css parser and evaluator for fun to parse things like that.

The more realistic approach that Awful.app does currently is pull down a hosted .css that gets added to the web view that renders posts. If we notice a user had some weird custom thing added via CSS, we can add an equivalent to our .css and suddenly it shows up in the app.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
All of a sudden I had to re login and now nothing is highlighted, despite all the highlight options being turned on. Is this a known issue? I'm very sorry, I just came to this thread from the app options.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

You mean stuff that highlights your own posts? Try closing and reopening the app, maybe it tripped up. Also is your username showing up in the nav drawer when you swipe from the left?

pokeyman posted:

I’ve somewhat seriously considered writing a css parser and evaluator for fun to parse things like that.

The more realistic approach that Awful.app does currently is pull down a hosted .css that gets added to the web view that renders posts. If we notice a user had some weird custom thing added via CSS, we can add an equivalent to our .css and suddenly it shows up in the app.

Hmm that might be doable, I'll have to look at it when I get time

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

baka kaba posted:

You mean stuff that highlights your own posts? Try closing and reopening the app, maybe it tripped up. Also is your username showing up in the nav drawer when you swipe from the left?

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. Yes, I meant highlighting my own posts. But I read this and logged in making sure my username was capitalized correctly and everything is fixed now. Sorry to be a bother.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Nah it's cool, it's just meant to pick up your username automatically (don't even know why it's still editable in the options tbh) so I was wondering what the delay was

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

baka kaba posted:

Hmm that might be doable, I'll have to look at it when I get time

It’s hosted by GitHub Pages so I don’t have to janitor it/it’ll outlive my getting hit by a bus. Would recommend!

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
Is anyone else getting an issue where things hosted on LPix suddenly aren't showing in the app? It was working just a day or two ago, but it's happening in multiple threads now in the app but shows up fine in my browser app.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I'm getting an issue where sometimes the pull to next loading circle will start way up on the screen, about halfway. It work fine but looks wacky.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Feature request: add .webp links to the things that are pictures. They embed fine as they are, but if for some reason they are shown as links (say you marked an earlier post as last read, or you have the app set not to embed pictures while on 4G), they don't have the display image and show image inline options, just the open url in browser options when you long press.

There's a post with a bunch of them here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3819901&pagenumber=228&perpage=40#post493672472

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Is anyone else getting an issue where things hosted on LPix suddenly aren't showing in the app? It was working just a day or two ago, but it's happening in multiple threads now in the app but shows up fine in my browser app.

It was working fine for me. I just checked, and now, it's not. No LPix images are loading for me.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Taciturn Tactician posted:

got a link to a thread? I dunno what that is. If it's something to do with Let's Plays then a bunch of them are using http instead of https and something changed in the most recent version of Android so yeah there's a fix in the next version for that

Flipperwaldt posted:

Feature request: add .webp links to the things that are pictures. They embed fine as they are, but if for some reason they are shown as links (say you marked an earlier post as last read, or you have the app set not to embed pictures while on 4G), they don't have the display image and show image inline options, just the open url in browser options when you long press.

There's a post with a bunch of them here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3819901&pagenumber=228&perpage=40#post493672472

thanks! yeah the extension just needs adding to a bit of "is this an image" logic, guess it's a thing now

LastInLine posted:

I'm getting an issue where sometimes the pull to next loading circle will start way up on the screen, about halfway. It work fine but looks wacky.

You mean it fades in from the middle instead of the bottom? Is this portrait? Does the drag still work all over the screen?

I have seen it do stupid things before but it's hard to pin down. We're using some old library that hasn't been updated in years ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

baka kaba posted:

got a link to a thread? I dunno what that is. If it's something to do with Let's Plays then a bunch of them are using http instead of https and something changed in the most recent version of Android so yeah there's a fix in the next version for that

This is the thread I used earlier, when I was at work. But now it's loading just fine. I'd wonder if it was work wi-fi being lovely, but other images loaded fine...

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Well there's a lot of http images in that thread, and that's an issue for the latest version of Android (until the app fix is out) so uh if it's suddenly working... I dunno!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

baka kaba posted:

Well there's a lot of http images in that thread, and that's an issue for the latest version of Android (until the app fix is out) so uh if it's suddenly working... I dunno!

I am not on the newest verison of Android. My phone is locked into 6.0.1.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Oh well maybe it was just the host? bad servers and blocking insecure content, two great tastes

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

(If I remember) I'll check again tomorrow at work. If they don't load again, I'll chalk it up to my work wi-fi and LPix not playing nice...

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
For what it's worth, some of the images on that page aren't loading for me on a regular laptop and a regular browser.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

You mean it fades in from the middle instead of the bottom? Is this portrait? Does the drag still work all over the screen?

I have seen it do stupid things before but it's hard to pin down. We're using some old library that hasn't been updated in years ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yesterday it did it every time now I can't make it do it but I'd swipe up from near the bottom but the orb appeared about the middle of the screen and moved up as I moved my finger up. This is in portrait.

Lifting my finger and starting again it would work normally, it only happened on the first attempt for a given page.

Either way I can't replicate now but if I can I'll provide more details.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Just checked the thread, and everything loads fine. :iiam:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

baka kaba posted:

thanks! yeah the extension just needs adding to a bit of "is this an image" logic, guess it's a thing now
I was hoping it would be fairly simple, thanks.

If it's a thing, I don't know. Just came across them in two different places last week out of nothing. Had no clue it even existed before.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

baka kaba posted:

It appears to be working now. Dunno if you silently fixed something or if there was some kind of strange issue on lpix :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

;)

nah if there's ever a change you'll get an app update

Flipperwaldt posted:

I was hoping it would be fairly simple, thanks.

If it's a thing, I don't know. Just came across them in two different places last week out of nothing. Had no clue it even existed before.

webp's a new(ish) compressed image format but I didn't realise it was in wide use on the general internet yet