Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I tried the eGPU route for a month with my MacBook Pro but ended up returning it and spending a little bit more to build a SFF that isn't going to suffer from TB3 bottlenecks.

Plus its never been a better time to build a PC - you can grab a Ryzen 5 2600 + Mobo + 16GB of RAM for under $300 total.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Electric Bugaloo posted:

If I want to run old games like Morrowind or Episode 1 Racer that GOG only has available on Windows, I should be good with Fusion right? It’s a 2013 rMBP but the most taxing game I’d ever try to run is from like 2006.

Should be fine.

Episode 1 Racer might be better off with the N64 version in an emulator.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Stadia ain't lasting more than a year. They'll abandon it like a billion other projects.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
I’ve seen a lot of parts lists and how-tos, but is there anyone who could just SELL me a hackintosh? I’m willing to pay a small premium to not worry about futzing about.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

$1,879 for a 2018 15” base refurb from woot

https://www.woot.com/offers/apple-15-intel-i7-256gb-macbook-pro-2018?ref=w_cnt_gw_dly

stevewm
May 10, 2005

thetzar posted:

I’ve seen a lot of parts lists and how-tos, but is there anyone who could just SELL me a hackintosh? I’m willing to pay a small premium to not worry about futzing about.

I don't think your gonna find anyone willing to sell you a already setup Hackintosh... outside of eBay anyways. The few companies that have tried where sued into oblivion by Apple.

eames
May 9, 2009

Interesting! I don't remember ever seeing such steep discounts on current apple hardware, same with the iPad Pro both refurbished and new.

thetzar posted:

No, the EULA doesn't allow that (or running macOS on non-Apple hardware in general). Even if somebody made you such a system, you'd need help after the next major OS upgrade unless you want to stick with the same outdated version for the rest of the system's lifetime.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

thetzar posted:

The futzing never ends, so if you really want a hackintosh you ought to DIY the install so you know wtf to do when you install a security update and things stop working.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

eames posted:

Interesting! I don't remember ever seeing such steep discounts on current apple hardware, same with the iPad Pro both refurbished and new.

Woot has done these before. There's a catch though:
Listen up! These MacBooks are Refurbished by Apple, but do not come with an Apple Warranty. In this case, we're backing them with a 1 Year Woot Warranty. They will come packaged in a generic white box.

Wonder if they are eligible for Applecare. And why aren't they on Apple's site if they are refurbed by Apple?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

thetzar posted:

Someone tried that ages ago. Apple told them to stop, they didn't. Apple then stomped them into ground.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you want them video games, just get a skullcanyon nuc and deal with the pain that is windows. This is how it's been for 30 years so we should all be used to it by now.

Or buy a console. :v:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Mu Zeta posted:

Stadia ain't lasting more than a year. They'll abandon it like a billion other projects.

Agreed but the Xbox one or the Sony one or the NVidia one or the one that Valve or Epic or EA or whomever make will stick around.

Bob Morales posted:

Woot has done these before. There's a catch though:
Listen up! These MacBooks are Refurbished by Apple, but do not come with an Apple Warranty. In this case, we're backing them with a 1 Year Woot Warranty. They will come packaged in a generic white box.

Wonder if they are eligible for Applecare. And why aren't they on Apple's site if they are refurbed by Apple?

I don’t know Woot or their quality standards but this feels gray market/shipment buyout to me. That’s not like a moral problem or anything, Costco relies on gray market stuff and buying poo poo at ports all the time but Idk that I would treat a MBP the way I might buy a $20 fleece sweater.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Didn't Woot or one of the similar stores end up with a huge batch of stolen product that one time?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

EL BROMANCE posted:

Didn't Woot or one of the similar stores end up with a huge batch of stolen product that one time?
That was Meh (the original woot guys who left when it was bought by Amazon) and a company claimed they had stolen goods because they were selling them for below market value and Meh complied and let the cops come check out the lot number and they were deemed not stolen.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Proteus Jones posted:

Someone tried that ages ago. Apple told them to stop, they didn't. Apple then stomped them into ground.

Yup, Apple effectively did this to Psystar back in 2009/10, and another company that tried, PearC, disappeared as well.

eames
May 9, 2009

This aticl by Joanna Stn is ptty funny and wll don

https://www.wsj.com/graphics/apple-still-hasnt-fixed-its-macbook-keyboard-problem/

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

If you watch the video, there's a not-so-subtle sting where Joanna tells you to get another laptop.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

FCKGW posted:

They're on their 3rd keyboard revision and have pretty much solved those issues though :confused:

lol

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Between this and the UT guys I’m glad that mainstream voices who aren’t exclusively insufferable techshits like D2D/Rossman are openly advising people against buying MacBooks.

Given how tight Apple is with the WSJ as a company and the long-standing relationship they have with some of their writers hopefully this also gets more notice from them. If Apple can afford to make a credit card and a game streaming service and hire Oprah they can afford to make a thin notebook with a decent keyboard.

~Coxy posted:

Episode 1 Racer might be better off with the N64 version in an emulator.

Is the N64 version better? For the most part I always assumed that the contemporary PC version of a game was better unless it was like a notably lovely port.

Also thanks for reminding me of my circa-2015 dream of picking up a CRT display and a copy of the original cart for my N64. Good thing I have no way of dealing with a CRT at the moment and probably won’t until years from now when they’ve all vanished off of craigslist and command $500 premiums from nostalgic weebs.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Is the N64 version better? For the most part I always assumed that the contemporary PC version of a game was better unless it was like a notably lovely port.

The PC version is better, but it’s a lot easier to load an N64 ROM into OpenEmu than it is to install Windows in a VM.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

American McGay posted:

That was Meh (the original woot guys who left when it was bought by Amazon) and a company claimed they had stolen goods because they were selling them for below market value and Meh complied and let the cops come check out the lot number and they were deemed not stolen.

Ah never heard the end of the story, how boring!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

American McGay posted:

"meh. not stolen" - the cops

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Weedle posted:

The PC version is better, but it’s a lot easier to load an N64 ROM into OpenEmu than it is to install Windows in a VM.

word

.....wait. My best friend’s been amassing ROMs since like middle school. I can just drag those into OpenEmu (which I’ve had in my apps folder for like 5 years) and....and.....oh boy.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

You'd think Apple would just come up with a new topcase replacement that solves this issue. They have to be losing so much money repairing these things for free.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The most Apple thing to do in this situation is double down: inform us all that users are using their laptops wrong, the design is fine, all while frantically working to develop a better solution that we'll see in a couple years.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Gay Retard posted:

You'd think Apple would just come up with a new topcase replacement that solves this issue. They have to be losing so much money repairing these things for free.
Except they probably can't swap in a different keyboard design because they wanted to shave off that extra 0.3mm and the butterfly monstrosity was how they got there. I would love to see Apple have to eat poo poo and release a redesign that is actually thicker, but cmon.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Linguica posted:

Except they probably can't swap in a different keyboard design because they wanted to shave off that extra 0.3mm and the butterfly monstrosity was how they got there. I would love to see Apple have to eat poo poo and release a redesign that is actually thicker, but cmon.

They do it in the iOS space somewhat regularly.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

A thicker heavier MacBook would suck though.

Linguica posted:

Replace users entire enclosure if that’s what it takes.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The only way to get thinner is make a huge touchpad for a keyboard. Im sure they will do that.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Baseless speculation- the MacBook didn’t get a refresh in 2018/2019 because it’s gonna showcase Apple’s ARM chipset in 2020. Either that allows them to cut down the internals enough to maybe stick a better keyboard in there or the butterfly remains but the computer gets like 20 hour battery life.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Gay Retard posted:

A thicker heavier MacBook would suck though.

Right, see the famously despised 2015 MBP.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
I personally like how much lighter the current 15” is compared to the old one. It’s noticeable in my bag. I still much prefer the old keyboard to the new one though. I don’t know what the compromise answer is but I’d probably be fine buying it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Linguica posted:

Apple's released laptop versions that were thicker than the previous ones, but it's been over a decade since they did that.

I too dig the thin-n-light factor of the 13 inch MBP (compared to my previous 2011 13 inch MBP, that thing feels like a brick now) but if they kept the weight the same and made it a millimeter thicker or whatever I'd be cool with it.

Truthfully the worst thing about the new keyboards is the fact that the cursor keys don't have half-height left and right arrow keys. That pisses me off a lot more than the travel.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kefkafloyd posted:

Truthfully the worst thing about the new keyboards is the fact that the cursor keys don't have half-height left and right arrow keys. That pisses me off a lot more than the travel.

I actually *like* the newer 3rd revision keyboards. Except for this exact same thing. My fingers still expect the half-height left/right and now I have to look down at the keyboard from time to time because my old-dog brain goes "wait, that doesn't feel right..."

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

kefkafloyd posted:

Apple's released laptop versions that were thicker than the previous ones, but it's been over a decade since they did that.

The iPhone X and latest iPad Pro were thicker than their predecessors, so Apple seems willing to add a little bulk if it’s worth the trade off.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I was using a 2015 macbook pro from my old job but had to send it back so I went back to my early 2011 macbook pro. Can't install the new OS but I have an SSD in it and it's still fast enough to do everything. Somehow only had 4gigs of ram so bumped it up to 16gigs instead of buying a new one because holy poo poo I can't upgrade the storage or RAM myself and there's a crazy Apple premium.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

wasn't the thickness of the iphone x because they had to bend down the oled to get that near edge look? not sure jonny ivy is going to allow his beautiful macbooks to get thicker over a freaking keyboard. are you plebs insane?

but seriously, rather than address the issue after the first version, they doubled and tripled down on it. what makes anyone think they're going to change this. they're not going to change anything, they want you to just adjust.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The keyboard thing is an albatross on Apple's neck. I think an article in the WSJ is a big deal.

eames
May 9, 2009

Strong Sauce posted:

what makes anyone think they're going to change this. they're not going to change anything, they want you to just adjust.

The backlash is far too big to ignore, see WSJ and all the other articles/videos. I expect the rumored 16" MBP to come with new (or old?) keyboard mechanism at a silly pricepoint. Other MBPs will get the same treatment with the refresh (probably a year later?) and MB/MBA will continue to use iterations of the butterfly mechanism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

As someone who just moved from a 2015 MBPR to a 2018/2019 model... The keyboard isn't as good as the the 2015s, however its still perfectly servicable. What is not at all acceptable, however, is this loving garbage dick rear end piece of trash OLED bar.

I have wasted more time with this stupid oled touch bar inputting poo poo because my fingers had the audacity to graze the surface of it. I wish I could just turn the loving thing off. Its horrid. Since my hands are fairly large when I contort them to enter keyboard shortcuts I frequently wind up with my ring or small finger grazing or resting over the F keys. Since they're a loving touch bar instead of a goddamn actual key now it inputs whatever my finger touches every time.

The oled bar is completely useless and apple should have dropped the thing like the hot steaming sack of poo poo it is as soon as they modified the drat laptop to put the rubber bits around the keys so your pop tart crumbs stop bricking your laptop.

Tim Cook sucks.

Also make a loving iPad Pro that runs touch-enabled OSX with two USB-C ports you assholes. I'm tired of carrying a laptop just to console cable into things and I don't want a drat surface because Windows sucks more than this oled touch bar.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Mar 29, 2019