Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

KakerMix posted:

Land Cruiser friends hello

a.....timing belt light?

what in tarnation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Giant_Pupils posted:

Detailed and ready for Spring:

...but Nissan still doesn't trust me to put air in my own tires:

FBO 2016 GT-R
* Running a speed density tune (Cobb custom) on the V3 accessport with traction control
* Tomei Expreme 102mm titanium exhaust - straight back from the motor. Loud as all get-out
* ETS catless downpipes
* Cobb Big SF intake
* Tial vent to atmosphere BoVs
* Injector Dynamics 1300cc injectors
* Deatschwerks fuel pumps
* Visconti tuning fuel basket upgrade (lines/rails) + E85 kit and fuel sensor
* Wheels are Volk TE37 Ultra Ms in Diamond Black (ceramic coated them myself)
* Rubber = Michelin PR4s

Username checks out apparently, what the gently caress is this lens?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Enos Cabell posted:

That Land Cruiser is loving dope. How much does it cost all-in to get something like that imported over here?

Got a screaming deal on this one at auction but when I go for resale it's going to be $$$$$$$$$. When I get it I'll be into it for right around 10k. Finding them at all is the hard part.

Suburban Dad posted:

Did the fan clutch die and spray red rust all over the engine bay? Or maybe it was actually off roaded. :thunk:

No idea but that "30*8*3" written on the fan shroud means they replaced something August 3rd, 2018. The Pajero we have is the same way, wrote directly on the hoses for everything when they went and replaced them. If it was actually offroaded they had the interior covered because that's ultra clean considering.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

a.....timing belt light?

what in tarnation?

Yep, they have a blind odometer (one that is mechanically there but you can't see) that ticks up to 100,000 km and then turns that light on. To reset it you pop that rubber plug on the left on the gauge cluster clear plastic and push the button down in the cluster itself. Exactly like resetting your trip meter, but without the in-built stick.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Username checks out apparently, what the gently caress is this lens?

Canon 11-24mm.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Giant_Pupils posted:

Canon 11-24mm.

Syf0n?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Thief posted:

a fellow/former crown vic owner i see...

My Crown Vic will do a burnout.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZJvi40eyUE

on wet pavement and holding the brakes.

Tremek posted:

Cleaned up the Quadrasteer Suburban and threw it up on CL to see if anyone bites. Everything's working so of course this is the time to sell it? May as well see if I can find that buyer that will pay me more than it's worth (and yet still less than I have spent on it, welp.)

Bask in the GM weirdness.

I certainly don't need that, but I kind of want it. Too bad the roof on my house says I can't have it, or, more accurately, the $$.

KakerMix posted:

Yep, they have a blind odometer (one that is mechanically there but you can't see) that ticks up to 100,000 km and then turns that light on. To reset it you pop that rubber plug on the left on the gauge cluster clear plastic and push the button down in the cluster itself. Exactly like resetting your trip meter, but without the in-built stick.

That's amazing. Every vehicle with a timing belt should have that.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

I haven't heard that name in probably 10 years, now I feel old

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Darchangel posted:

I certainly don't need that, but I kind of want it. Too bad the roof on my house says I can't have it, or, more accurately, the $$.

That's almost exactly how I feel about it, funny enough! It tows really well - rated for 9300 lbs and of course is a 3/4 ton frame & axles (and the rear QS axle is based on a Dana 60 - beefy) - but our Land Cruiser tows almost as much and is 10 years newer so I don't really have justification for keeping it around just for towing, which I don't even do that often.

Seats 8, (cloth) interior is in great shape, Hydroboost brakes are awesome, Quadrasteer really shrinks the truck around you in a parking lot or U-turn situation and in Tow mode apparently automatically counteracts trailer sway, I have put a lot of $$$$ into refreshing the LQ4, the 4L80e is stout, and the KO2s on Hummer H2 wheels look good and ride well. A lot of good things to say about it. I just don't ... need it.

PS, we have put 2 roofs on our house in 18 months so I feel your pain/annoyance/frustration there.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Giant_Pupils posted:

Detailed and ready for Spring:

* Wheels are Volk TE37 Ultra Ms in Diamond Black (ceramic coated them myself)
* Rubber = Michelin PR4s

Cool car, don't use a wide angle lens.

Also, how hard was it to ceramic coat the wheels, and what benefit do you see with it, with regards to brake dust accumulation and cleaning?

My GF just bought a 2016 TTS with the 20" wheels and they are obscenely hard to clean. I need to purchase more wheel cleaning accessories to even hope to get into all of the nooks... And maybe some kind of wheel cleaner, be although I hear the good ones are very expensive.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

That thing is bad rear end.
As for wheels just cover them with getechnic c5 and use dragons breath to clean them.
It’s how I’ve looked after my TEs, E88s, NT03s and advan rs’. Super safe on even the ballerest rims

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I use EasyOff yellow oven cleaner to get brake dust off my wheels. Don't get it on your skin, it will burn through in a few seconds, don't ask how I know. It also eats the anodization off of aluminum.

Actually, don't use it at all.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Just so you guys know I have a wheels thread active in AI. It's currently in winter hibernation but as the weather warms up I'd love to talk wheels with y'all.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3860108&pagenumber=5&perpage=40

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Bape Culture posted:

That thing is bad rear end.
As for wheels just cover them with getechnic c5 and use dragons breath to clean them.
It’s how I’ve looked after my TEs, E88s, NT03s and advan rs’. Super safe on even the ballerest rims

Can you buy Dragon Breath in the US? I think you or someone else mentioned it in the detailing thread and when I've searched for it, I only find it on Euro sites.

That Getechnic c5 sounds really cool. Any idea how many wheels one of the 15ml bottles will treat?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

MetaJew posted:

Can you buy Dragon Breath in the US? I think you or someone else mentioned it in the detailing thread and when I've searched for it, I only find it on Euro sites.

That Getechnic c5 sounds really cool. Any idea how many wheels one of the 15ml bottles will treat?

Oh i don’t know tbh

You can just about do 4 as you don’t need much

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

MetaJew posted:

Cool car, don't use a wide angle lens.

Noted. I'm a lovely photographer.

quote:

Also, how hard was it to ceramic coat the wheels, and what benefit do you see with it, with regards to brake dust accumulation and cleaning?

I did it in my garage with the Adams kit. The application was a snap although disclaimer - they were new wheels, had no tires on and didn't really need to be deep cleaned prior to application. You use a cleaner to get off dirt etc, let them dry, then use the ceramic stuff which you apply & buff much like a wax. Then you let the wheels cure for ~24 hours or so (until tacky), apply a ceramic boost/sealant and buff. Effort 2/10, Time Investment 3/10 (but mostly only for the curing process). It's very similar to those old boat sealants people used to use like Zaino etc.

End result: Dirt just slides off them. It's nuts. I wash the car every other week or so depending on how much I actually drive it and I'm still amazed. You *almost* don't even need a sponge. Absolutely worth the pricetag of the kit and time invested. Not sure how long it'll last. I'm told 1-2 years or so.

quote:

My GF just bought a 2016 TTS with the 20" wheels and they are obscenely hard to clean. I need to purchase more wheel cleaning accessories to even hope to get into all of the nooks... And maybe some kind of wheel cleaner, be although I hear the good ones are very expensive.

Autogeek makes a couple really nice kits. Their wheel woolly is absolutely amazing for wheels with lots of spokes. My old premium wheels were obnoxious. The Volks are a million times easier to clean by comparison.

um excuse me posted:

Just so you guys know I have a wheels thread active in AI. It's currently in winter hibernation but as the weather warms up I'd love to talk wheels with y'all.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3860108&pagenumber=5&perpage=40

Bookmarked. Although TE37s are a dime a dozen there I'm sure.

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 27, 2019

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Darchangel posted:

That's amazing. Every vehicle with a timing belt should have that.

Every vehicle with a timing belt should have a timing chain.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

MrYenko posted:

Laughs in B7 S4

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

MrYenko posted:

willroc7 posted:

Laughs in B7 S4

Every vehicle with a timing belt should have a timing chain and be designed in a way that doesn't require plastic timing guides and ALSO keep Audi away.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

MrYenko posted:

Some poor bastard I know is trying to figure out what to do with his Chevy Equinox after he was quoted $1900 to repair his timing chain and some ungodly oil consumption issue.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Tremek posted:

That's almost exactly how I feel about it, funny enough! It tows really well - rated for 9300 lbs and of course is a 3/4 ton frame & axles (and the rear QS axle is based on a Dana 60 - beefy) - but our Land Cruiser tows almost as much and is 10 years newer so I don't really have justification for keeping it around just for towing, which I don't even do that often.

Seats 8, (cloth) interior is in great shape, Hydroboost brakes are awesome, Quadrasteer really shrinks the truck around you in a parking lot or U-turn situation and in Tow mode apparently automatically counteracts trailer sway, I have put a lot of $$$$ into refreshing the LQ4, the 4L80e is stout, and the KO2s on Hummer H2 wheels look good and ride well. A lot of good things to say about it. I just don't ... need it.

PS, we have put 2 roofs on our house in 18 months so I feel your pain/annoyance/frustration there.

If you had listed about a month ago I would have been considering it. Sharp looking car regardless.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I dig the GT-R and don't mind the wide angle photos. Those cars are incredible in the performance/dollar value. Good info on the wheel coating as well. Might have to give it a try with the TRD's I bought for the Lexus before I stick tires on them.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

SLO RICE is back home!

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

StormDrain posted:

If you had listed about a month ago I would have been considering it. Sharp looking car regardless.

Right on, appreciate your appreciation. With that said, a guy came and looked at it this afternoon and I have a deposit, so wow this may happen quickly assuming he comes back tomorrow with the remainder of cash in hand.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Nice! Also as of yesterday I had no idea those existed or how to identify them. There was one parked a block from my home in Arvada this evening and I had to compare plates to make sure it wasn't the same!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Still on the trailer. Hope to have tags tomorrow.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

angryrobots posted:

I loving looooooooooooooooooooooooove old American trucks.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

angryrobots posted:

:swoon:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

angryrobots posted:

As I said in the chat thread, hell yes. Please tell me you're going to get it mechanically good then drive it as is cosmetically. That is a great looking truck.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

angryrobots posted:

Does it have all the wheel caps? :swoon:

Apologies for portrait mode but have a picture of what could have easily been a Lexus:

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
I wrecked the 350z a few months ago and replaced it when a 04 F150.

The honda has been at my old shop not moving much for the last year but i finally pulled a k24a4 and 5 speed auto tranny out of a wrecked accord and have a brand new precision 6266 to put in. I just cleared my garage and gonna bring the honda home this week and start the swap asap. I'll have very little idea of what I'm doing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
Heres my truck, it's for work and im gonna put a roof extender on for big extension ladders soon. And gonna get rid of the big chrome rims eventually when the tires go bad probably.

It just hit 100k miles this week too!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fallows fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 29, 2019

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

As I said in the chat thread, hell yes. Please tell me you're going to get it mechanically good then drive it as is cosmetically. That is a great looking truck.

Mechanically it's somewhat sorted already. V8 (dunno if originally optioned with a V8, dunno if it's a 327 or later 350), 3 speed with overdrive. Newer Edelbrock carb with electric choke (not hooked up lmao). The owner previous to the gal I bought it from, appears to have cleaned up (and maybe put some kind of what looks like clear coating on) the frame, installed new brakes/fuel tank/balljoints/ bushings/ springs/ shocks. So it actually drives pretty nice for what it is. Steering is obviously heavy, but tight and goes in a straight line.

Wiring is godawful. I'm surprised at what does work on it. The overdrive unit is currently inop, but I'm hoping to get it back going - max speed is 45 to 50 right now. Or at least fight out how to lock it out...I found out that without the lockout engaged, you don't get engine braking. Very weird sensation to let off the throttle and have it drop to idle at speed. This is new to me, but I downloaded the manual for the unit and apparently that's completely normal without the lockout engaged.

Not sure exactly what I want to get into on this, but a full restoration is not something I'm interested in. I think it looks great and my goals are safety, reliability, and function.

KakerMix posted:

Does it have all the wheel caps? :swoon:

Yup! Also sorry for the portrait Snapchat picture, I didn't get a chance to get any good pictures today. Unloaded from the trailer, slapped a tag on it, and drove into town four wide on the bench seat with no belts for burgers.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 29, 2019

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

angryrobots posted:

Mechanically it's somewhat sorted already. V8 (dunno if originally optioned with a V8, dunno if it's a 327 or later 350), 3 speed with overdrive. Newer Edelbrock carb with electric choke (not hooked up lmao). The owner previous to the gal I bought it from, appears to have cleaned up (and maybe put some kind of what looks like clear coating on) the frame, installed new brakes/fuel tank/balljoints/ bushings/ springs/ shocks. So it actually drives pretty nice for what it is. Steering is obviously heavy, but tight and goes in a straight line.

Wiring is godawful. I'm surprised at what does work on it. The overdrive unit is currently inop, but I'm hoping to get it back going - max speed is 45 to 50 right now. Or at least fight out how to lock it out...I found out that without the lockout engaged, you don't get engine braking. Very weird sensation to let off the throttle and have it drop to idle at speed. This is new to me, but I downloaded the manual for the unit and apparently that's completely normal without the lockout engaged.

Not sure exactly what I want to get into on this, but a full restoration is not something I'm interested in. I think it looks great and my goals are safety, reliability, and function.

Sounds like a perfect start, that'll be a great truck to cruise around in. May be worth looking into a replacement wiring harness if the current one is too hacked up. With how few wires should be in that thing you could probably pull a junk yard one in under an hour if you can find one.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

NitroSpazzz posted:

Sounds like a perfect start, that'll be a great truck to cruise around in. May be worth looking into a replacement wiring harness if the current one is too hacked up. With how few wires should be in that thing you could probably pull a junk yard one in under an hour if you can find one.

Or a basic "hot rod" one from American Autowire or similar.

willroc7 posted:

Laughs in B7 S4

That's where the leftover timing chains went.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Darchangel posted:

Or a basic "hot rod" one from American Autowire or similar.

Yes, I'm not even remotely concerned with staying original and I'm plenty comfortable doing my own terminations. I'd also like to relocate the fuse box to the cavernous space under the hood and replace it with something more modern.

This is my first foray into something like this, I need to do a thread just so I can get suggestions about products to make my life easier.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I used an American autowire highway 22 kit in a 53 Chevy it was an incredible kit. A little more than I needed at the time. I can definitely recommend them and I will use one of their simpler kits on my 51 I'm doing now.

Chevy trucks are the hottest thing going right now, aftermarket is huge even for that vintage, gonna be a lot of fun, nice buy.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I'm working through an American Autowire kit on my Nova right now and it's pretty drat good. Would recommend.

MasonF
Aug 22, 2005

these bitches r kicking me?wow wook wookfuk u

Got my red 85 MR2 road-ready (not smogged yet, but whatever, one day at a time) with new wheels, side skirts, front lip, H4 headlight housings, and got it running right so I can break in the new engine. Built 4A-GE, going turbo at some point but keeping it n/a for now.
Also picked up my custom 222D-style engine lid made by Woodsport in the UK, looks pretty great.

Not too long ago, the car sat like this in my garage for a long time:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

MasonF posted:

Got my red 85 MR2 road-ready (not smogged yet, but whatever, one day at a time) with new wheels, side skirts, front lip, H4 headlight housings, and got it running right so I can break in the new engine. Built 4A-GE, going turbo at some point but keeping it n/a for now.
Also picked up my custom 222D-style engine lid made by Woodsport in the UK, looks pretty great.

Not too long ago, the car sat like this in my garage for a long time:

drat that's looks perfect, super nice car.

Same with the Chevy, nice score with a lot of nice improvements already done and it looks excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I see California plates, and immediately think it being nice and shiny is cheating.

I was airing up a flat tire on my car the other day and noticed the undercoating in the wheel wells have almost completely flaked off through the winter.

That gets my mind going through the steps to remedying this, which involves pulling the stainless trim which means fighting with rusty hardware and laying under that bitch with a wire wheel turning myself red before staining my hands black for a month throwing a gallon of POR-15 at the thing, and what i'm saying is MasonF, will you marry me, i'll move in with you had keep your house clean and we can raise some pommeranians or something and drive rust-free classic cars everywhere.

gently caress why do the roads gotta be 50% gravel and salt for half the year.

I noticed a little bit of cancer poking through my front fender and my first thought was to use it as the starting point to radius out the fender and fit 35 inch tires.